Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Coaching carousel

fjblair

Re: Coaching carousel

Unread post by fjblair » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:32 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:24 am
diehardapp18 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:13 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:30 pm
I know Drink feels he can win anywhere and most coaches do but right now for a G5 coach like Drink or Norvell to take a job at Arkansas or Ole Miss that is either ego or money or both.

Can't worry though because nothing we can do other than donate.
This is the stupidest freaking argument that somehow gets brought up every offseason
There are some jobs that everyone can see from a mile away are a no win scenario or so brutal that they aren't worth taking. That is the case with those two jobs. I would only say it is about money or ego for Arkansas or Ole Miss because of the current situations there and the fact you are playing for 4th place, at best. I would not touch Arkansas right now. Morris and Bielma are good coaches who could not win there.

You do realize for coaches 90% of the time they move on simply because of money, right? The WVU coach left for Houston because they paid him more. If we had 5-6M a year to pay our HC then Satterfield would not have left. He left only for money.

Why did Jimbo Fisher leave Florida State if not for money? I mean FSU is a great job but they don't pay as much as Texas A&M was willing to pay.

FSU is an ideal job and if I'm Drink or Norvell I take it but I don't see the allure of Arkansas and Ole Miss at this point. They have had good times in the past but they are jobs that you need to get paid 6-7M to make it worth the work you have to do there.

Money is the driving force for all these jobs. If App State had the money and paid 10M a year then we could get just about any coach we want. Money drives everything. Drink came here to advance his career and make more money than he did before. He would leave for the same reason. It is all about money these days.
Talk about Captain Obvious commentary. You come across as if you are enlightening everyone. Of course it's about money. It was then, it is now and it will be in the future. Everybody knows the score.

EastHallApp
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:47 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
diehardapp18 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
I know Drink feels he can win anywhere and most coaches do but right now for a G5 coach like Drink or Norvell to take a job at Arkansas or Ole Miss that is either ego or money or both.

This is the stupidest freaking argument that somehow gets brought up every offseason
There are some jobs that everyone can see from a mile away are a no win scenario or so brutal that they aren't worth taking. That is the case with those two jobs. I would only say it is about money or ego for Arkansas or Ole Miss because of the current situations there and the fact you are playing for 4th place, at best. I would not touch Arkansas right now. Morris and Bielma are good coaches who could not win there.

You do realize for coaches 90% of the time they move on simply because of money, right? The WVU coach left for Houston because they paid him more. If we had 5-6M a year to pay our HC then Satterfield would not have left. He left only for money.

Why did Jimbo Fisher leave Florida State if not for money? I mean FSU is a great job but they don't pay as much as Texas A&M was willing to pay.

FSU is an ideal job and if I'm Drink or Norvell I take it but I don't see the allure of Arkansas and Ole Miss at this point. They have had good times in the past but they are jobs that you need to get paid 6-7M to make it worth the work you have to do there.

Money is the driving force for all these jobs. If App State had the money and paid 10M a year then we could get just about any coach we want. Money drives everything. Drink came here to advance his career and make more money than he did before. He would leave for the same reason. It is all about money these days.
Yes, obviously money is a huge factor in coaching changes, maybe the biggest one.

People here always act like every team that's down now is a dumpster fire where you can never win. They said that about Louisville even though they'd been to multiple BCS bowls and were two years removed from a Heisman winner. Ole Miss and Arkansas have both gone to the Sugar Bowl in the last decade. They're not elite jobs, but it can be done.

Jimbo was frustrated with FSU because they couldn't or wouldn't provide him with every insane recruiting amenity that the SEC does. And because their athletic department is dysfunctional. And because fans were starting to notice that his program was slipping into mediocrity, and he didn't like the heat.

Holgorsen had been shopping himself around to any P5 that would listen because he wanted out of WVU. He had personal ties with the city of Houston and with either the AD or a big booster there (can't remember the exact story), and they could pay enough for him to justify leaving a P5 for a G5.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:15 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:47 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
diehardapp18 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

Yes, obviously money is a huge factor in coaching changes, maybe the biggest one.

People here always act like every team that's down now is a dumpster fire where you can never win. They said that about Louisville even though they'd been to multiple BCS bowls and were two years removed from a Heisman winner. Ole Miss and Arkansas have both gone to the Sugar Bowl in the last decade. They're not elite jobs, but it can be done.

Jimbo was frustrated with FSU because they couldn't or wouldn't provide him with every insane recruiting amenity that the SEC does. And because their athletic department is dysfunctional. And because fans were starting to notice that his program was slipping into mediocrity, and he didn't like the heat.

Holgorsen had been shopping himself around to any P5 that would listen because he wanted out of WVU. He had personal ties with the city of Houston and with either the AD or a big booster there (can't remember the exact story), and they could pay enough for him to justify leaving a P5 for a G5.
The statements made about Louisville were flat wrong on this board, other than some of the comments about dysfunction in their Athletic Department. Satterfield, next to Brohm, was the only logical hire for them to change the culture from what had been created with Rick Pitino and Bobby Petrino. The program had the pillars in place and a foundation of excellence on the field and basketball court. Louisville's basketball program essentially picked up where they left off and the football program is where they should've been in 2018 with a coach who hadn't checked out.

Florida State is going to be in the same situation as Louisville was. If they get the hire right, they will be back to where they were within a few recruiting cycles. Unfortunately for them, however, is that the landscape has changed due to the CFP. Few schools are consolidating power in recruiting top end recruits due to opportunities at championships and it's creating a gulf between the Top 5 programs and the other 125.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:02 pm

Chris Petersen stepping down from the Huskies effective after the Bowl game......
The Appalachian State

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:07 pm

HighPointApp wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:57 am
Why must we continually re-hash this topic over and over again?
Think of it as the chronic offenders that you have to arrest on a regular basis. They just can't stop themselves. :lol:

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:12 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:02 pm
Chris Petersen stepping down from the Huskies effective after the Bowl game......
Any indication if this is family related, or performance?
Give 'em hell!

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:19 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:12 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Sounded like personal reasons. He said he need to take time to "recharge".
The Appalachian State

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:25 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
Staying at UW in athletic administration.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:35 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:30 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:01 pm
Rick83 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:31 pm
The thing about Drink is that he has those 3 years experience as a P5 OC in which he turned that offense around. P5s value P5 experience. He also has pretty much been a winner every where he's been involved. I hope we have him 3-4 more years and that he leaves us in a strong position, which I suspect he will, but I fear that if we win the next two games and then have a repeat performance next year that he'll be snatched away. Especially if we make it to and win the NY6 access bowl either of the two seasons although this year is a real stretch at this point.
NY6 has no bearing. Satt was negotiating a Louisville deal the week before the SBC title game. If Drink gets an offer it would be around now. A new team would want him right after the SBC title game so our NY6 result won't matter. Now, if he went to NY6 next year without an offer maybe that would get him one the following year but only if the season was going great the following year. The NY6 alone would not be the reason why.
I think the NY6 would be a huge resume item for Drink and would get him on many short lists, as that crowns that team as the best G5 in the land which is a huge accomplishment especially for a non-AAC, non-Boise St team. But I wasn't talking about him leaving this year, I was saying that if he wins the SBC championship and bowl game this year and then repeats again next year then it's unlikely we get him for 3 or 4 more years. Add in a NY6 win and he's scheduling movers, it's delusional to think otherwise especially with his other experience.
Oh there is no question if he finishes in the top 20 this year and then repeats that next year he will be gone. He does not even have to go to the NY6. Satterfield got the Louisville job despite never beating a P5 program. Drink will have at least 2 and maybe 4 or 5 by the end of next year. There is no question if he goes 11-1 or 12-0 next year that he will then be gone after the SBC title game. There is no question about that. He should get a 4-5M/year deal for 5-6 years from a major P5 program in need to rebuild.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:39 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
diehardapp18 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

It can be done for sure. My reasoning is more that look at the current state of the SEC West. These ADs pay big time money and don't give a coach 5-6 years to truly turn things around and get there. My comment is that why go to a place in the SEC West when you can go to the ACC or SEC East where you can win and at least be the 2nd best team. You are playing for 4th or 5th in the SEC West now.

Louisville is a place you can win at. It is not a bad job but not elite either. I look at Louisville as a very good ACC program. They aren't FSU or Clemson but can be a top 25 team for sure.

As for those two coaches those are the reasons why they looked around but the schools they went to have more money and thus paid the buyouts and gave them big time raises.

What you said about FSU is why I would not go to South Carolina, Arkansas, Ole Miss, and some of these other places. They have awful administrations and the only reason to take those jobs under the current climate/regime at those places is for the money.

beachneer40

Unread post by beachneer40 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:41 pm

Arkansas has for a fact vetted Drink but probably option 4 or 5. Kiffin would have to turn it down along with about 3 or 4 others. The other P5 jobs Drink realistically has no shot, very little proven record as a HC and even less with recruiting. Think it is safe to say he will be back next year.

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:08 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:42 am
Let's be clear. I love Drink but if we do lose him at some point I have total confidence that Doug Gillin will make another great hire and our program will continue on the same trajectory. Our program was not based on Satt, and it's not based on Drink...it's bigger than any one man.
Agree...I have confidence in Doug Gillin too to make another good hire....the bigger issue, for me, is when we eventually lose Doug Gillin

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:25 pm

canes_mj wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:08 pm
Rick83 wrote:
Let's be clear. I love Drink but if we do lose him at some point I have total confidence that Doug Gillin will make another great hire and our program will continue on the same trajectory. Our program was not based on Satt, and it's not based on Drink...it's bigger than any one man.
Agree...I have confidence in Doug Gillin too to make another good hire....the bigger issue, for me, is when we eventually lose Doug Gillin
I love Drink but I am not worried either way. He either wants to be here or he does not. If he gets an offer and wants to leave then let him go. We won before him and will win after. I hope every player on our roster knows that App State wins and we won't fall apart without Drink. Some worried about losing Satt and the train keeps rolling. It will roll on just fine regardless.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:31 pm

canes_mj wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:08 pm
Rick83 wrote:
Exactly. We have our eyes fixed on what's in front of us, all the while someone could be stealing our wallet out of our back pocket.
The Appalachian State

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:34 pm

hapapp wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:25 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
Staying at UW in athletic administration.
His DC, Jimmy Lake has already been named as the new HC

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:41 pm

A fanbase either lives in fear that it’s coach will go on to greener pastures, or they want to get rid of the coach they have. I’m glad we are in the former grouping.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:20 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:39 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
diehardapp18 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

It can be done for sure. My reasoning is more that look at the current state of the SEC West. These ADs pay big time money and don't give a coach 5-6 years to truly turn things around and get there. My comment is that why go to a place in the SEC West when you can go to the ACC or SEC East where you can win and at least be the 2nd best team. You are playing for 4th or 5th in the SEC West now.

Louisville is a place you can win at. It is not a bad job but not elite either. I look at Louisville as a very good ACC program. They aren't FSU or Clemson but can be a top 25 team for sure.

As for those two coaches those are the reasons why they looked around but the schools they went to have more money and thus paid the buyouts and gave them big time raises.

What you said about FSU is why I would not go to South Carolina, Arkansas, Ole Miss, and some of these other places. They have awful administrations and the only reason to take those jobs under the current climate/regime at those places is for the money.
My man, if you were for some reason coaching App State for $750k/year and then Arkansas, South Carolina, or Ole Miss came calling for 5 years/$30 million you know damn well what you would do. Y’all kill me around here with this morality play y’all constantly throw out. Lol it’s so annoying watching y’all try to talk yourselves into this idea that an App State coach isn’t going to jump ship for a top 35 program.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:29 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:20 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:39 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
diehardapp18 wrote:

My man, if you were for some reason coaching App State for $750k/year and then Arkansas, South Carolina, or Ole Miss came calling for 5 years/$30 million you know damn well what you would do. Y’all kill me around here with this morality play y’all constantly throw out. Lol it’s so annoying watching y’all try to talk yourselves into this idea that an App State coach isn’t going to jump ship for a top 35 program.
Yeah, especially when it's a guy like Drink who is clearly just passing through. I suppose there was at least a plausible argument for people to hope that Satt would be an App lifer. I personally found that belief to be naive, but if that unicorn exists somewhere, his bio would probably look a lot like Satt's.

Drink had literally never set foot in Boone before taking the job. He's a 36-year-old guy who's climbing the coaching ladder, and we simply aren't the top rung on that ladder. And that's nothing at all negative about him; all we can ask is that he come here and do the best job he can for App while he's here, and I think we'd agree he's doing that.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:38 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:29 am

Yeah, especially when it's a guy like Drink who is clearly just passing through. I suppose there was at least a plausible argument for people to hope that Satt would be an App lifer. I personally found that belief to be naive, but if that unicorn exists somewhere, his bio would probably look a lot like Satt's.

Drink had literally never set foot in Boone before taking the job. He's a 36-year-old guy who's climbing the coaching ladder, and we simply aren't the top rung on that ladder. And that's nothing at all negative about him; all we can ask is that he come here and do the best job he can for App while he's here, and I think we'd agree he's doing that.
As much as those of us who love App would love to think that we're a "destination job", it simply isn't the case. It is all about the money for 99.9% of coaches. There's also the challenge of the next job and the desire the be the best of the best. That's what drives the top people in every field. They have a burning desire to be the best. They can be really, really good at App, but would never be viewed as the "best college football coach ever". The fact that some people seem to put down those who seek to better their situation is insane.
Give 'em hell!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:53 am

ericsaid wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:28 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:26 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:18 pm
Old Miss already has a target on the ground, and it doesn’t appear to be Drink (most think Kiffin).

If you get nervous about these things, might as well stay that way for about a month. In reality, there’s not squat we can do about it tonight, so settle in and enjoy the ride we’re currently on.

And donate to Yosef.
Now ESPN reports that Kiffin may have been in Arkansas today as well. Ole Lane looking to get paid this off season.
Will probably stop by Ole Miss on his way back to Boca. Even if I was just at FAU, if I made as much money as Kiffin had by age 30, I might stick it out until an SEC East job opens. Recruiting and trying to be successful against LSU, Alabama, and Auburn with Arkansas doesn't sound like a good time.
Not sure the side of the SEC you're in really impacts recruiting specifically. I imagine that the SEC schools overlap in terms of recruiting regardless of division. No doubt the West has been tougher to compete for division champ in recent years but that will switch also. Georgia is at the same level as Bama and LSU...Auburn is still a bit behind but not much. In the East Florida has exceeded expectations this year (as much as I hate to give them any credit) and is going to catch up with the front runners if things continue. The question is whether Auburn maintains at the front and whether anybody from the East can become a legit third. I guess Tennessee is the most viable candidate but they've got a lot of work to do before they're in the discussion with those other 5.

Honestly, I'm not impressed with Kiffen as a head coach so my personal opinion is that he will ultimately fail regardless of which division. He might as well bank the cash while he can.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”