Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Rankings December 1

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: Rankings December 1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:52 pm

#20 in Coaches Poll. Expect that in AP too.

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/p ... 019-12-01/

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:08 pm

APP93

Unread post by APP93 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:27 pm

So if that holds with CFP and App is ahead of Cincy, Championship week will be really fun. SBC at noon, AAC at 3:30 and MWC at 4:00...would love to be celebrating another App SBC title then settle in to see what happens in those games.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:43 pm

APP93 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:27 pm
So if that holds with CFP and App is ahead of Cincy, Championship week will be really fun. SBC at noon, AAC at 3:30 and MWC at 4:00...would love to be celebrating another App SBC title then settle in to see what happens in those games.
I don't think we could have asked for anything better! Everything is front for our guys to take! I have serious reservations about Cincy beating Memphis but it could happen....man what a fun weekend it will be!
FREQS AND GEEKS!

shortfatoldapp

Unread post by shortfatoldapp » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:03 pm

Polls are nothing but opinion pure and simple. They may be correct but they may not be. BS I think!

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:28 pm

NavyApp wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:43 pm
APP93 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:27 pm
I don't think we could have asked for anything better! Everything is front for our guys to take! I have serious reservations about Cincy beating Memphis but it could happen....man what a fun weekend it will be!
I don't think Cincinnati beats Memphis either. If they do, they probably jump us and probably should. But what a season! I never could have dreamed of being in this position.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:20 pm

I'm more concerned about Boise. They should be able to sleepwalk over that crap team Hawaii has. I'm hoping the CFP comm puts us right in front of Boise....
The Appalachian State

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:41 pm

None of the polls can be accurate because all are biased or in the case of the Coaches Poll, most of those voters don't care and don't research it. They've got better things to do. Too many teams to compare - none can be accurate. Can't have a tourney like basketball to let the teams decide.

The CFP is most important for positioning of teams for the playoff and for the bowls, somewhat. But you can't say the others are not important. If we finish ranked by the AP or another "significant" poll, I'll guarantee we'll hang a banner somewhere to let that be known.

Now we got the scatman playing The Great Carnac and quoting Jim Brakefield, a great man. scatman never puts in a prediction (neither do I cause I am terrible at it, but I always see what everybody else picks) but now since he is on it, what say you about a score on the game this Saturday?

Spent the weekend in Meat Camp. Wish I could have stayed another day or month or year or life there.

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:51 pm

I agree that there is some hope that Boise will be behind us in the CFP (probably not likely though) because of their poor performance against a weak 5 win CSU... a one score victory. I'd still say that two P5 wins beat any G5 top 25 victories ... example Memphis beating SMU and Cincy.... all day long!

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:01 pm

@AppStFan1

So you could play that game all day. A simple thought experiment would be, say:

#2 Ohio State plays #1 LSU 10x.

LSU wins every game by a point, Ohio State is 0-10.

Should Ohio State be ranked above a 10-0 App State with a schedule exclusively composed of Sunbelt teams? (and an FCS OOC game for the sake of this argument)

No, they shouldn’t be, they are a winless football team. Are they BETTER? Well, yeah. But you gotta win your games. At some point, you’re as good as your record. Even when your schedule is grueling. I’m not sure when that occurs, but it has to.

Does OSU beat App? Yeah. But prior to that we are ranked above them.
YNWA

AppInDC

Unread post by AppInDC » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:07 pm

Cro-Magnon App wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:41 pm
None of the polls can be accurate because all are biased or in the case of the Coaches Poll, most of those voters don't care and don't research it. They've got better things to do. Too many teams to compare - none can be accurate. Can't have a tourney like basketball to let the teams decide.

The CFP is most important for positioning of teams for the playoff and for the bowls, somewhat. But you can't say the others are not important. If we finish ranked by the AP or another "significant" poll, I'll guarantee we'll hang a banner somewhere to let that be known.

Now we got the scatman playing The Great Carnac and quoting Jim Brakefield, a great man. scatman never puts in a prediction (neither do I cause I am terrible at it, but I always see what everybody else picks) but now since he is on it, what say you about a score on the game this Saturday?

Spent the weekend in Meat Camp. Wish I could have stayed another day or month or year or life there.
The AP Poll matters for tradition, national exposure, and a final report card as they do release one after the season.

Coaches Poll doesn't have the same tradition of the AP poll but I think it does have the serve as another data point in measuring against other programs.

CFP matters because it is the way teams are selected for the Playoff and NY6 G5 bid and remaining at large spots. It's also national exposure but we don't get a post-bowl version.

All have their place and value as long as you don't use it as one size fits all.

AppInDC

Unread post by AppInDC » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:18 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:01 pm
@AppStFan1

Should Ohio State be ranked above a 10-0 App State with a schedule exclusively composed of Sunbelt teams? (and an FCS OOC game for the sake of this argument)

No, they shouldn’t be, they are a winless football team. Are they BETTER? Well, yeah. But you gotta win your games. At some point, you’re as good as your record. Even when your schedule is grueling. I’m not sure when that occurs, but it has to.

This is a decent thought experiment and why I think polls and playoff selection should be based more on a resume rather than "who wins on neutral field".

There are several metrics that suggest that even with a down year, UCF may still be the strongest G5 team. If Temple had beaten Cincy, it's possible UCF would have advanced to the AAC title game on tiebreaks. In that scenario, should a three loss UCF be selected over App and Boise for a NY6 bowl? UCF might be favored by three points to both in a hypothetical matchup.

Sagarin has four different five loss teams higher than App. Should they all be ranked in the top 25 while App is restricted to "Also Receiving Votes"? If you think strongest team, then absolutely. if you think it should be on resume and what you have accomplished with wins on the field, I think App is very deserving of being in the top 20.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:07 pm

As we go thru this thought exercise I THINK we will end up as a close second in the P5 NY6 running. But first 1-0 Baby beat LaLa.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:25 pm

1-0 this week. Beat UL!

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:27 pm

AppInDC wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:18 pm
ah59396 wrote:
@AppStFan1

This is a decent thought experiment and why I think polls and playoff selection should be based more on a resume rather than "who wins on neutral field".

There are several metrics that suggest that even with a down year, UCF may still be the strongest G5 team. If Temple had beaten Cincy, it's possible UCF would have advanced to the AAC title game on tiebreaks. In that scenario, should a three loss UCF be selected over App and Boise for a NY6 bowl? UCF might be favored by three points to both in a hypothetical matchup.

Sagarin has four different five loss teams higher than App. Should they all be ranked in the top 25 while App is restricted to "Also Receiving Votes"? If you think strongest team, then absolutely. if you think it should be on resume and what you have accomplished with wins on the field, I think App is very deserving of being in the top 20.
This is one of the many reasons why good craft beer and quality single malt scotch exists.
YNWA

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:29 pm

I think you meant #beatETSU
The Appalachian State

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:26 am

To reiterate the words of someone on another thread:

I hate Georgia Southern.

Best I can guess, we’d be 10th in the nation right now, wedged between Alabama and Wisconsin.

I have a hard time believing the pollsters would rank us, even undefeated, above a 2 loss Alabama. But DAMN. What could have been! We control our own destiny this weekend in what I can only imagine would be the most important game in arguably the history of our program.

Oh well, coulda/shoulda/woulda.

I hope the team channels all of their rage directly into a pounding of UL. I’m still waiting for a dominant performance at home, I think we see it this weekend. This App team is unbeatable when dialed in.
YNWA

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:54 pm

ah59396 wrote:
@AppStFan1

When you vote in a top 25 poll your mission is to vote who the best 25 teams in the country are. The CFP committee is doing just that. They are putting who they think are the very best teams. Would I rank a 0-10 OSU over 10-0 App State? Yes if OSU has all losses to top 10 teams and the best App win is #60 in the country. Unless OSU is getting beat by 30-40 each week and App is beating their teams by 50 every week.

In the NFL you are as good as your record for the most part but in college that is not the case. With that logic then NDSU has won 6 of the last 7 FCS titles and they are 12-0 right now. They should be ranked ahead of App State. No you say? Why not? Because they have not played nearly as tough of a schedule and have not beaten any P5 teams? Bingo. NDSU has no business ahead of App on any ballot just like App has no business ahead of OSU on any ballot. There are 9-3 teams ahead of us that should be. I will say this with App being #20. I am pretty sure at least 16 of the teams ahead of us would beat us for sure. After that I am not sure at all and believe we would beat some and lose to some. When it is like that I will put us in the top 25.

Look at it this way. If App has 5 losses all to top 13 teams and wins over 2 RV, 2 ranked between 15-25, and no real bad losses then App should be ranked in the top 20 for sure. There are people who would look at us and say no you got 5 losses but we would argue that look who we played. I will say the same for some of these SEC teams.

Do you think we could win the ACC? Heck no right. Because of Clemson. Do you think we could finish 2nd or 3rd or 4th? I am pretty sure we could. I think we would be the 3rd best team in the ACC right now and if I was ranking the ballots that is how I would have it. Clemson, UVA, and then App with VT and WFU real close behind us. You could jumble up App, UNC, Louisville, Miami, WFU, Pitt, and FSU and I could see any order end up being right if they all played each other. Our roster is very comparable to those schools.

Look at this year's UNC schedule: https://goheels.com/sports/football/schedule/2019

How do you think we would do? Swap App for UNC in there. I firmly believe we would/could beat UNC, South Carolina, GT, Duke, Miami, Pitt, Mercer, and NC State. Give us losses to the rest just to be unbiased. That would be 8-4 and most definitely top 25 worthy over a 10-2 ULL or 10-2 Boise team.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:58 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:26 am
To reiterate the words of someone on another thread:

I hate Georgia Southern.

Best I can guess, we’d be 10th in the nation right now, wedged between Alabama and Wisconsin.

I have a hard time believing the pollsters would rank us, even undefeated, above a 2 loss Alabama. But DAMN. What could have been! We control our own destiny this weekend in what I can only imagine would be the most important game in arguably the history of our program.

Oh well, coulda/shoulda/woulda.

I hope the team channels all of their rage directly into a pounding of UL. I’m still waiting for a dominant performance at home, I think we see it this weekend. This App team is unbeatable when dialed in.
Undefeated in the SEC or ACC is top 5 worthy but undefeated in the MAC, CUSA, or SBC is not top 10 worthy for sure unless you got wins over a ranked P5 team to prove you are legit and you are beating everyone in your league by double digits. I don't know if people realize but we have beaten every G5 team by 10 or more points except for the GSU loss. You need to win big over everyone in the bottom 3 G5 leagues to have any argument why you should be ranked.

There is no question that if we are dialed in and play our A game that nobody in the CUSA, MAC, SBC, MWC and probably all but 2 teams in the AAC could beat us.

I'm with you that we need a big win here this weekend. We really need a 2-3 score victory.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:02 pm

agree. But I would honestly think with a healthy team, App finished second in the ACC this year. VT and a healthy Wake (with Surratt) would be the only teams that would concern me.
The Appalachian State

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”