Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Belk Bowl?

EastHallApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Belk Bowl?

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:56 am

^^ No, obviously I am not saying the bowls are on the same level.

^ “Cities don’t matter to most fans.” I think they matter to a lot of the ones who are attending the bowl. And I bet they matter to the players who are spending a week there too. I know one of Gillin’s main concerns when we went back to Montgomery the second time was that the players not just do all the same stuff they did the year before. And there’s a reason “going to Shreveport” is a punchline for ACC teams.

Look, unless you’re in the CFP, bowls are glorified exhibitions. There are a relatively small group of teams that would actually stand out as opponents. Otherwise, I really don’t think it matters whether you’re playing the MAC champ or the CUSA 3rd place team or some 6-6 or 7-5 ACC team. You just want to have a good time, win the game and bring home a trophy.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:16 am

Beat ULL

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:49 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:56 am

^ “Cities don’t matter to most fans.” I think they matter to a lot of the ones who are attending the bowl. And I bet they matter to the players who are spending a week there too. I know one of Gillin’s main concerns when we went back to Montgomery the second time was that the players not just do all the same stuff they did the year before. And there’s a reason “going to Shreveport” is a punchline for ACC teams.

Look, unless you’re in the CFP, bowls are glorified exhibitions. There are a relatively small group of teams that would actually stand out as opponents. Otherwise, I really don’t think it matters whether you’re playing the MAC champ or the CUSA 3rd place team or some 6-6 or 7-5 ACC team. You just want to have a good time, win the game and bring home a trophy.
I agree and to be honest, unless we get a marquee match-up like the Cotton Bowl, for this year I'd almost rather get a team we're more likely to beat to keep the bowl win streak going as that's going to stand the test of time. Let's run it to 5 bowl wins in the first 5 years of full FBS eligibility baby!

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:55 am

EastHallApp wrote:

Glorified exhibition is pretty harsh.

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:04 am

Seattleapp wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:55 am
EastHallApp wrote:

Yep, sort of like when people referred to Apps FCS national championships as JV.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:31 am

Seattleapp wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I love bowl games. I've been to three of our four, and our bowl wins are some of my favorite moments in FBS (and some of our biggest wins IMO). I'm really proud of App's 4-0 streak and want us to keep it going.

I'm just saying, if we can play in a NY6 game, or play a top 25 team, or even a big brand name that's having an off year (like say a Florida State, Tennessee, etc.), then sure, there's added value there relative to our normal tie-ins. Otherwise, I don't think it matters whether you're playing the 47th best team in the country or the 53rd best. Just have a fun road trip and kick some ass.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:09 pm

TheMoody1 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:04 am
Seattleapp wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:

Yep, sort of like when people referred to Apps FCS national championships as JV.
As the coaches say, every year is different and every team is different. It's the job of the leaders of the team and administration to keep interest in the bowl game regardless of location and opponent.

Fans are more constant and see and experience many of the same things each year, resulting in the desire for change. I think that while the fans may be associating the Sun Belt Bowl Tie-ins as glorified exhibitions, the team likely isn't, Drink likely isn't, and the athletics department isn't.

What is being suggested in terms of the Belk Bowl is seeing some action on the part of the Sun Belt offices to do something every other conference outside of the MAC does and that is backfill bowl games with higher profile opponents when available. If you don't get it, at least the discussion was had.

Boise State and the AAC has the benefit of playing in a bowl game against a decent P5 team regardless of whether they are in the Cotton Bowl or not. Boise, if they don't go to Dallas, will be going to Las Vegas playing a Pac-12 team. The AAC will have a couple of Bowl Games against P5 opponents. The Sun Belt will have zero. Because the contractual obligation and lack of secondary tie-ins, the champion has no hope of being able to fill a vacant bowl slot against a P5 opponent as well.

There is a desire to see the conference administration do something. "Strike while the iron is hot". The Sun Belt's iron is hot and now is the time to begin striking. 2018 saw three ten win teams all in one division. 2019 sees two 10 win teams, one ranked and one on the precipice of being ranked, squaring off in the second conference championship on ESPN. The Sun Belt has consistently rated higher than C-USA and the MAC since 2015. Increased exposure for your member schools improves perception, recruiting, funding, and in turn improves results on the field relative to other programs (theoretically). The purpose of conference affiliation is to have an advocate on the grander scale of things. No one is going to do it for you.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:29 pm

I'm greatly enjoying the ribbing that Ethan Joyce is getting on Twitter this morning about the Belk Bowl and the (im)possibility of App getting that invite. He's gonna snap on us bunch of knuckleheads one day :)
Give 'em hell!

BTK2000

Unread post by BTK2000 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:54 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:29 pm
I'm greatly enjoying the ribbing that Ethan Joyce is getting on Twitter this morning about the Belk Bowl and the (im)possibility of App getting that invite. He's gonna snap on us bunch of knuckleheads one day :)
I’m hopeful the sunbelt can get someone to bend the rules for us but not betting on it. Ethan seems to have done his homework and I trust his assessment of the situation. I assume espn did little to no research as per usual.
Last edited by BTK2000 on Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:07 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:31 am
Seattleapp wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I love bowl games. I've been to three of our four, and our bowl wins are some of my favorite moments in FBS (and some of our biggest wins IMO). I'm really proud of App's 4-0 streak and want us to keep it going.

I'm just saying, if we can play in a NY6 game, or play a top 25 team, or even a big brand name that's having an off year (like say a Florida State, Tennessee, etc.), then sure, there's added value there relative to our normal tie-ins. Otherwise, I don't think it matters whether you're playing the 47th best team in the country or the 53rd best. Just have a fun road trip and kick some ass.
I would really like to see us get a shot at some AAC teams. Let’s see how we stack up against the self proclaimed P6 conference.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:11 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:09 pm
TheMoody1 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:04 am
Seattleapp wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:

As the coaches say, every year is different and every team is different. It's the job of the leaders of the team and administration to keep interest in the bowl game regardless of location and opponent.

Fans are more constant and see and experience many of the same things each year, resulting in the desire for change. I think that while the fans may be associating the Sun Belt Bowl Tie-ins as glorified exhibitions, the team likely isn't, Drink likely isn't, and the athletics department isn't.

What is being suggested in terms of the Belk Bowl is seeing some action on the part of the Sun Belt offices to do something every other conference outside of the MAC does and that is backfill bowl games with higher profile opponents when available. If you don't get it, at least the discussion was had.

Boise State and the AAC has the benefit of playing in a bowl game against a decent P5 team regardless of whether they are in the Cotton Bowl or not. Boise, if they don't go to Dallas, will be going to Las Vegas playing a Pac-12 team. The AAC will have a couple of Bowl Games against P5 opponents. The Sun Belt will have zero. Because the contractual obligation and lack of secondary tie-ins, the champion has no hope of being able to fill a vacant bowl slot against a P5 opponent as well.

There is a desire to see the conference administration do something. "Strike while the iron is hot". The Sun Belt's iron is hot and now is the time to begin striking. 2018 saw three ten win teams all in one division. 2019 sees two 10 win teams, one ranked and one on the precipice of being ranked, squaring off in the second conference championship on ESPN. The Sun Belt has consistently rated higher than C-USA and the MAC since 2015. Increased exposure for your member schools improves perception, recruiting, funding, and in turn improves results on the field relative to other programs (theoretically). The purpose of conference affiliation is to have an advocate on the grander scale of things. No one is going to do it for you.
FWIW, I'm all for the Sun Belt trying to improve its tie-ins. Or rather continuing to do so, since they've been improving since we joined the league.

The MWC, like the Sun Belt now, has the right idea in sending its champ to a destination city. They just have the clout - based on years of performance - to warrant a better opposing tie-in than the SBC does right now. But, to your point, that could change.

I don't necessarily think playing just any P5 team is a huge reward for winning your conference, but to each his own.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:13 pm

Oh, and again, the "glorified exhibitions" line wasn't meant as a dig at the Sun Belt bowls, or even bowls in general. It's just the nature of the system. Only sport at any level where the bulk of postseason play does not consist of a championship tournament.

spong

Unread post by spong » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:14 pm

Throwing some wood on this dream fire, Kyle Bonagura thinks we are going to the Belk Bowl:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... rojections

(I don' t think anyone has posted this yet)

MountaineerChemist10

Unread post by MountaineerChemist10 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:36 pm

DaphneUrquhart wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:44 pm
No. The Sun Belt has five bowl tie-ins that are mandatory. If we make a New Year's six bowl, we may go to the New Year's six bowl. Otherwise, we go to one of the five mandatory Sun Belt tie-ins. Those are the options. The only options. Ethan Joyce did an excellent article on the available options and called the Sun Belt office for clarification.
Thanks for the info. It would be totally awesome to watch a rematch between UNC & App at Bank of America Stadium for the Belk Bowl. Game would be totally sold out within minutes. But it aint gonna happen.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:44 pm

spong wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:14 pm
Throwing some wood on this dream fire, Kyle Bonagura thinks we are going to the Belk Bowl:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... rojections

(I don' t think anyone has posted this yet)
it has been posted....but we arent going to Belk Bowl unless the SunBelt gives us special permission based on circumstances negotiated with the Bowl organizers. CUSA is the backup conference for this (and a few other) tie in if SEC and ACC are short.
The Appalachian State

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:23 pm

Wouldn't it make economic sense for everyone if THIS particular year, App played in the Belk bowl and Louisiana played in the New Orleans bowl?

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:33 pm

AppSt12 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:41 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:10 am
EastHallApp wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:16 am
I wonder if, for the first several decades of the bowl system, you had fans of the major powers complaining about going to the same game all the time. Like, were Ohio State and Michigan fans all “dammit, not another Rose Bowl, so boring!” Were Oklahoma and Nebraska fans griping about having to spend New Year’s in Miami at the Orange Bowl AGAIN?
I can't believe anyone would get tired of going to Miami, MB, New Orleans, Dallas, Houston, Nassau, Hawaii, etc type locations. I think everyone I know is enjoying this.

I know the old argument was that winning the FCS titles meant more than a FBS bowl game but I think those fans are seeing the benefits of being FBS if you win. We have gotten way more media attention and are getting way better players than NDSU is and they have won like 6 of the last 7 national titles. The media cares more about a top 3 G5 team and overall top 25 team than they do a GOAT program who has a dynasty running in the FCS.
People dont get tired of going to the same cities. They get tired of knowing we win the sun belt and can go 7-5 or 11-1 and go to New Orleans vs a CUSA team. Or if we dont win we go to alabama to play a mac team. That is not the same as going to the rose bowl every year vs the big 10 champion. Cities dont matter to most fans, it's more than matchup and chance to grow the program.

Ideally you would like a p5 shot or a huge G5 matchup after an 11-1 season. It's possible that we go 12-1 with a conference title and play a team that is the 5th best team we played all year.
I did not see the complaint but saw someone's comment on it. I agree we should be glad to go bowling every year and I'm also with you that I don't want to play the 4th or 5th best team we played in a bowl game after going 11-1. We deserve a shot at a P5 or one of the top 3-4 G5 programs out there.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:50 pm

The best solution to the entire bowl issue to have more of a pecking order and a general bowl ranking that way a number 20 ranked App can play another school closer in rank (like the number 21 school). This can be another extension of the committee. How cool would it be to watch the CFP rankings each week to see the teams change (especially those below 10) to see the potential bowl opponent? There is zero reason to continue with the tie-ins. This thread has reached page 3 and those of us who understand how it works knows the bottom line. No reason to keep debating it. ESPN really doesn't care enough about App State to make some ruling and to make this change.

9Steelman

Unread post by 9Steelman » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:20 pm

Maybe someday one of the major bowls would have the two best G5 schools play each other. Would it not be great if App and Memphis were matched up this year in a bowl game!!!!

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:35 pm

Seattleapp wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:23 pm
Wouldn't it make economic sense for everyone if THIS particular year, App played in the Belk bowl and Louisiana played in the New Orleans bowl?
I've said this before. ULL and Tulane had 54,728 at the New Orleans Bowl in 2013. I can promise that New Orleans wants ULL and La Tech playing. They will bring 10x more people than App vs ?. Belk Bowl would have 25,000+ App fans there. Just wish it could happen plus it will save about around $600 a couple.
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”