Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Belk Bowl?

Stonewall
School: Appalachian State

Belk Bowl?

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:52 pm

ESPN’s Bonagura has us in the Belk vs Pitt. How does that happen? Schlabach has us going to New Orleans as Sunbelt Champions.

Saint3333

Re: Belk Bowl?

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:12 pm

The UNcC fans were sure they had the Belk invite.

Let’s not fall for this trap, that slot will go to a 7-5 P5 team I have no doubt.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:17 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:12 pm
The UNcC fans were sure they had the Belk invite.

Let’s not fall for this trap, that slot will go to a 7-5 P5 team I have no doubt.
I don't see us going but if somehow the ACC or SEC does not have a team eligible to go or that wants to and the choice is between #20 ranked 12-1 SBC Champ App State who will bring 30k and 6-6 Charlotte who will bring 7k then I think we all know who the choice would be. It just would make sense to bring App in that case. The Belk Bowl ideally wants UNC, App, SC, NC State, etc type schools who travel well.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:23 pm

Charlotte is going to the Bahama Bowl.

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:44 pm

No. The Sun Belt has five bowl tie-ins that are mandatory. If we make a New Year's six bowl, we may go to the New Year's six bowl. Otherwise, we go to one of the five mandatory Sun Belt tie-ins. Those are the options. The only options. Ethan Joyce did an excellent article on the available options and called the Sun Belt office for clarification.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:45 pm

They’ve made it clear that the only bowl we can go to this year besides the 5 SunBelt bowls is the cotton bowl. There is no way to “exit” the SunBelt bowls, like some other conferences do.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:55 pm

DaphneUrquhart wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:44 pm
No. The Sun Belt has five bowl tie-ins that are mandatory. If we make a New Year's six bowl, we may go to the New Year's six bowl. Otherwise, we go to one of the five mandatory Sun Belt tie-ins. Those are the options. The only options. Ethan Joyce did an excellent article on the available options and called the Sun Belt office for clarification.
Correct. Belk bowl backup options will come from the CUSA. Charlotte very well may end up there......have fun with all that. I live in Charlotte and have no interest in going to the soon to be “not Belk Bowl”. Give me the Cotton Bowl or a great weekend with my family in New Orleans.
The Appalachian State

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:59 pm

DaphneUrquhart wrote:
In Ethan we trust. Ethan is good, Ethan is wise.

I’m a pretty big Liverpool supporter, and it’s common during the transfer window (the “free agency” for you non soccer fans) for WILD rumors to fly around regarding who Liverpool is in talks with signing. From all sorts of rags and twitter no-names.

Long story short, the mods have labeled the different news agencies and twitter people are tiered 1-5 from “all knowing” to “literal lies”.

Ethan is our tier 1.
YNWA

smokeshow

Unread post by smokeshow » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:11 pm

Last edited by smokeshow on Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:16 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:55 pm
DaphneUrquhart wrote:
Correct. Belk bowl backup options will come from the CUSA. Charlotte very well may end up there......have fun with all that. I live in Charlotte and have no interest in going to the soon to be “not Belk Bowl”. Give me the Cotton Bowl or a great weekend with my family in New Orleans.
Belk Bowl against Pitt would be a good time for many more people than would New Orleans or Mobile.

Not going to happen but perhaps the question even being asked could present an opportunity for the Belk Bowl and Sun Belt. Georgia Southern and App would both bring quite a few fans to Charlotte. Perhaps not comparable to USC or Virginia Tech but App bringing 25,000 isn't out of the question.

For New Orleans, if that's where App ends up, I hope the opponent is Marshall or FAU, personally. FAU because playing Kiffin would bring some extra level of attention and Marshall to get the rivalry kicked back off before the series starts.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:20 pm

GregPercussion wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:45 pm
They’ve made it clear that the only bowl we can go to this year besides the 5 SunBelt bowls is the cotton bowl. There is no way to “exit” the SunBelt bowls, like some other conferences do.
What other conference does that? Is there any example of a team that somehow opted out of its league's primary tie-ins?

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:21 pm

appstatealum wrote:
DaphneUrquhart wrote:
Charlotte already accepted a bowl bid elsewhere. So they are off the table.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:23 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:16 pm
appstatealum wrote:
DaphneUrquhart wrote:
Belk Bowl against Pitt would be a good time for many more people than would New Orleans or Mobile.

Not going to happen but perhaps the question even being asked could present an opportunity for the Belk Bowl and Sun Belt. Georgia Southern and App would both bring quite a few fans to Charlotte. Perhaps not comparable to USC or Virginia Tech but App bringing 25,000 isn't out of the question.

For New Orleans, if that's where App ends up, I hope the opponent is Marshall or FAU, personally. FAU because playing Kiffin would bring some extra level of attention and Marshall to get the rivalry kicked back off before the series starts.
It will either be FAU or UAB. I hope that CUSA sends their champion to our game but I know they won't. I think that FAU wins the game and hope that I'm wrong about CUSA sending their champ. I would love to get that extra level of attention by playing Kiffin.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:31 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:23 pm
ericsaid wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
DaphneUrquhart wrote:

It will either be FAU or UAB. I hope that CUSA sends their champion to our game but I know they won't. I think that FAU wins the game and hope that I'm wrong about CUSA sending their champ. I would love to get that extra level of attention by playing Kiffin.
If Kiffin was in Arkansas today, as reported, he won't be there for the Bowl game. Nothing wrong with UAB, but I'd rather have Marshall.

Charlotte is being sent to the Bahamas which at least opens the possibility of Marshall. Traditionally, the last bowl eligible team from C-USA East goes to the Bahamas but that was Marshall this year. Could leave an opening for New Orleans.

They are as good as UAB and FAU, just inconsistent under Doc.

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:35 pm

Don't forget about La Tech. I think they will have all of their suspended starters back for their Bowl game.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:39 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:31 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:23 pm
ericsaid wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
DaphneUrquhart wrote:

If Kiffin was in Arkansas today, as reported, he won't be there for the Bowl game. Nothing wrong with UAB, but I'd rather have Marshall.

Charlotte is being sent to the Bahamas which at least opens the possibility of Marshall. Traditionally, the last bowl eligible team from C-USA East goes to the Bahamas but that was Marshall this year. Could leave an opening for New Orleans.

They are as good as UAB and FAU, just inconsistent under Doc.
I was under the impression that we can either get the CUSA champ or runner up? Last year we got MTSU and they lost the title game so I did not think we could get Marshall? I figured either FAU or UAB only. I hope Kiffin stays and we end up playing them but if we could get Marshall I would love that.

However, we must win this weekend. If we lose then it won't matter because we won't be going to New Orleans. I'm just hoping we win and then Hawaii and Cincy wins. I would like to make the final CFP rankings very interesting.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:49 pm

Remember folks, the Boca Raton Bowl is played in FAU's home stadium. That's where they went last time they won CUSA, and I would think they'd do the same this year.

I know everyone likes to say teams are dodging us, but the reality is that other bowls might just make more sense for other teams.

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:55 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:52 pm
ESPN’s Bonagura has us in the Belk vs Pitt. How does that happen? Schlabach has us going to New Orleans as Sunbelt Champions.
Same guys who had us not going to the NO Bowl (prior to the GSU loss) because they don't even know that is where the SB champ gets to go. I am really surprised how little research they do sometimes to cover all aspects of College football (their jobs).

Trash reporting

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:59 pm

Why would you guys want to give the Belk bowl our prized Possession?....AppState....They did not want to help us before we were ranked 20th. Why would we want to reward someone who was not interested in helping us? We SHOULD and will go to New Orleans (If/When we win the conference). If ESPN or someone else wants a better bowl match up send someone to New Orleans. Someone will be excited to get a shot at a top 20 ranked team.
Last edited by spacemonkey on Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

citroknight
School: UCF

Unread post by citroknight » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:01 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:20 pm
GregPercussion wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:45 pm
What other conference does that? Is there any example of a team that somehow opted out of its league's primary tie-ins?
In the AAC we're not tied down. Because we don't have a pecking order or a specific bowl where our champ goes. ESPN has leeway to maneuver pieces around in the bowls they own for better matchups and attendance.

For instance, in 2017 the AAC championship game was between two ranked teams. Someone had to lose. But it's a shame to send the loser to our meh bowls. So the conference and ESPN worked out that the loser would use our secondary tie ins and go to the Liberty bowl, which Memphis ended up doing and having a home game.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”