Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

ULL discussion

Stonewall
School: Appalachian State

Re: ULL discussion

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:12 pm

If they stack the box , we need to make them pay.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:30 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:56 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:35 pm
I am really sick and tired of the sanctimonious blow hards that want to question ones fandom based on their efforts to attend a football game. I live 12 hours from God’s Country and I made it to three home games and one away game this year. I will be at the bowl game wherever that may be. Does it make be a better fan than those who haven’t been to as many games? NO! It makes me blessed that I had the opportunity of time and money to do so. It doesn’t matter if you live within walking distance, or a half day’s drive away, if you can go, go. If you can’t, that’s cool too. Being able to go doesn’t make you a fan, it makes you fortunate. Be thankful for that. Rant over.
It was suggested to me on Twitter that I move my daughter's 7th birthday party in favor of this game. It's pretty easy to see in our fan base a) who has a family and b) where some folks place their priorities.

Just remember folks, sometimes the way you want to plan something doesn't always mean it will come to fruition. Take that into consideration the next time you chastise others on the internet (or elsewhere).
Like I was telling ericsaid on another thread, I’m blessed to have met my wife at App over 16 years ago. By default, she became about as big as a fan as me. We schedule our back half of the year around App football and have always budgeted to get season tickets, even before it was “in budget” for a young family. We make our trips to Boone for games our “family time” and it is a tradition that my kids will be able to reflect on when they get older. I am blessed that they all embrace it, and over the years we have added multiple away games and the bowl games as we could afford to. I know having a spouse on board is a must for it, but we made Appalachian Football a part of our family and traditions so it makes it a lot easier to support the program and make all of the games. I know this won’t work for most alumni, but I encourage young Alumni to try and make this a tradition and a staple of your young family life, just like Sunday dinner. This is how we can create generations of App fans and grow the program. It takes a little sacrifice, like not buying that Audi and having a huge car payment or stopping by Starbucks every morning for an overpriced pastry and burnt coffee. Season tickets aren’t that expensive considering you are getting to watch a great product and the memories you can create and friends you can meet will last a long time. I live a frugal lifestyle, but many of my friends comment on how I splurge on Appalachian tickets and traveling to games. I’ve never taken my kids to Disney, but they’ve been to New Orleans and still talk about how much fun they had. That trip replaced any big Christmas gifts last year and it was well worth it.

Ok, sorry to ramble. I just love App.
The Appalachian State

ASU85Grad

Unread post by ASU85Grad » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:40 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:24 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:00 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
I am really sick and tired of the sanctimonious blow hards that want to question ones fandom based on their efforts to attend a football game. I live 12 hours from God’s Country and I made it to three home games and one away game this year. I will be at the bowl game wherever that may be. Does it make be a better fan than those who haven’t been to as many games? NO! It makes me blessed that I had the opportunity of time and money to do so. It doesn’t matter if you live within walking distance, or a half day’s drive away, if you can go, go. If you can’t, that’s cool too. Being able to go doesn’t make you a fan, it makes you fortunate. Be thankful for that. Rant over.
It was suggested to me on Twitter that I move my daughter's 7th birthday party in favor of this game. It's pretty easy to see in our fan base a) who has a family and b) where some folks place their priorities.

Just remember folks, sometimes the way you want to plan something doesn't always mean it will come to fruition. Take that into consideration the next time you chastise others on the internet (or elsewhere).
Idea time. Host her birthday part in the Suite at the game.

Seriously though, when you have kids things get infinitely more difficult to plan on short notice like this. I'm at a point of appreciating that more now. Took my oldest to the ODU game in Boone when he was 3 or 4 and he was well behaved and watched all four quarters of the game. If I took my middle child, now almost 3, it would be hell on Earth. Would have to find family to watch and they are about two hours away so it's a huge ordeal to get to a game at noon.

An ideal scenario, if I could get away for the weekend, would be to go up to Boone for the noon game and then drive to Charlotte to take in the ACC Championship experience (not a fan of either school, just to take in the last day of a semi full schedule of football).
A suite would probably be cheaper than the party :)

People need to understand that not everyone has the same situation. For mine, the party has been planned and booked for 3+ months. Invitations were out a month ago. She wants her party the way she wants it, and in the grand scheme of things, her childhood is much more important than a football game (to me and my family). Moving it isn't an option, and I wouldn't suggest it even if it were.

Many other fans will have similar reasons for not attending this weekend, and that's perfectly ok. We as a fanbase (and all fanbases that are serious about their team) tend to eat our own and judge others because they choose to do something different. It's a society problem today, where the only correct opinion is the one I hold - everyone who disagrees with me is WRONG. Simple fact of the matter is that way of thinking cannot stand up to the litmus test - the world isn't black and white. No one on this board is the gate keeper of fandom, we're all free to enjoy our lives and sports as we best see fit. If someone thinks I'm less of a fan than them because I didn't sit in the cold rain in December 2006 (I was there), or I chose to attend my child's birthday party rather than the 2019 conference championship - eff em. I don't care what their opinion is of me.
Beau, you made the right call. Believe me, your children are only little once. I remember when my boys were small and the fun we had. It was a great time in life. They are 16 and 18 now, and we still have fun, but there is something to be said about raising a young family. We did not make as many App games then as we do now, but I would not trade that time in my life for anything in the world. Enjoy the party.

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:54 pm

Unfortunately I'll be in California for this one but I'll be waking up at 7am to pregame and then watch the game at some random bar that'll put this game on at 9am!

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:55 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:30 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Like I was telling ericsaid on another thread, I’m blessed to have met my wife at App over 16 years ago. By default, she became about as big as a fan as me. We schedule our back half of the year around App football and have always budgeted to get season tickets, even before it was “in budget” for a young family. We make our trips to Boone for games our “family time” and it is a tradition that my kids will be able to reflect on when they get older. I am blessed that they all embrace it, and over the years we have added multiple away games and the bowl games as we could afford to. I know having a spouse on board is a must for it, but we made Appalachian Football a part of our family and traditions so it makes it a lot easier to support the program and make all of the games. I know this won’t work for most alumni, but I encourage young Alumni to try and make this a tradition and a staple of your young family life, just like Sunday dinner. This is how we can create generations of App fans and grow the program. It takes a little sacrifice, like not buying that Audi and having a huge car payment or stopping by Starbucks every morning for an overpriced pastry and burnt coffee. Season tickets aren’t that expensive considering you are getting to watch a great product and the memories you can create and friends you can meet will last a long time. I live a frugal lifestyle, but many of my friends comment on how I splurge on Appalachian tickets and traveling to games. I’ve never taken my kids to Disney, but they’ve been to New Orleans and still talk about how much fun they had. That trip replaced any big Christmas gifts last year and it was well worth it.

Ok, sorry to ramble. I just love App.
I totally get it - everyone has different priorities and reasons for prioritizing the way they do. The money isn’t the issue (we could afford season tickets and donate to YC already), it’s more the time. My wife could care less about football, and I wouldn’t ask her to sit through 7-8 game days (though she would), nor would I want to miss certain family activities and instead attend some games. I travel some for work out of state and weekends are my family time. I could ask the family to have that time at games and I’m certain we would make wonderful memories together, and we will make them in Boone in the future. Just not right now.

I guess after 15 years of reading this board, I’ve finally grown tired of the gatekeeping and have chosen this as my hill.
Give 'em hell!

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:07 pm

Yeah, I don't blame you Beau. The only season I missed a few games was when my daughter was born back in '14. My son had been going to games since he was a newborn and he handled them well, but I knew it would be tougher for my little girl. Most people's spouses and kids would go to be supportive, but not enjoy it to your level, so you wouldn't want to make them. That's why I suggested new app alumni and young Yosef donors try and establish it early as something and see if it sticks. I was a lucky one that it worked out like that. If my family didn't enjoy it, it would be hard on me to leave every Saturday, especially if I traveled for work. I've done my best to avoid jobs within my company that require sunstantial travel for that very reason. God bless you man!
The Appalachian State

Overcashed

Unread post by Overcashed » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:39 pm

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:51 pm

UL +6.5 is becoming a popular pick for gamblers. The Bear on ESPN said it was his pick of the week.

ShagNC

Unread post by ShagNC » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:23 pm

I'm so blessed my girlfriend loves App football as much as I do.
GO! FIGHT! KICK ASS!

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:03 am

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:27 pm

To be the 1st FBS to win 12 games in a season? That will look nice to tack on to another list of firsts.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:45 pm

This is why we need to be at the Rock Saturday. Hope to see you there.

GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:45 pm

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:55 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:45 pm

Yeeeeaaaahhhhhhh buddy! I’m fired up now! Can’t wait to be there on Saturday!
The Appalachian State

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:57 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:55 pm
Appstate88 wrote:

Yeeeeaaaahhhhhhh buddy! I’m fired up now! Can’t wait to be there on Saturday!
Well, I’m ready to hit someone.

beachneer40

Unread post by beachneer40 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:14 pm

Appstate88 wrote:

App state video crew is the best in the biz hands down. Unreal hype.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:27 pm

Let’s get that ring.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:49 pm

The FB version for those that can’t see tweets.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:58 pm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”