Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

ULL discussion

EastHallApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: ULL discussion

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:04 pm

Will be interesting to see how this game differs from the last. You have to think UL would look at that game and conclude they can't just keep doing the same thing offensively and hope for different results. Do they change up blocking schemes, playcalling, both?

And hopefully we're asking the same questions. Can't assume our D totally shuts them down again.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:18 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:04 pm
Will be interesting to see how this game differs from the last. You have to think UL would look at that game and conclude they can't just keep doing the same thing offensively and hope for different results. Do they change up blocking schemes, playcalling, both?

And hopefully we're asking the same questions. Can't assume our D totally shuts them down again.
According to Drink, they are using game film from the previous game in the same way they would if it was any other game. I doubt either staff is looking at what they did last time as a plan that simply needs tweaking.

Also of interest is that Drink stated 6 days of the 10 days between games he was sleeping in the hospital due to his newest child being born. We all saw some questionable play calling and a stranger than usual game plan offensively. I couldn't say for sure that being home would help but with a 9-month old daughter myself (also have a 7 year old and 2 year old), I could imagine how being home and being able to go to work as per usual would be of benefit.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:35 pm

I think I counted about 20 ULL fans last year. Unless they were hidden somewhere they were mostly on bottom right on the east side. A sellout will require a whole bunch of App fans unless ULL brings a lot more this year.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:05 pm

EastHallApp wrote:

They really turned up the passing game against ULM.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:37 pm

I expect max quality and min quantity fan-wise on Saturday. 21,000 of our loudest and most engaged fans. Upper east side making us looks bad on TV. Deafening noise coming from the student sections and sections 110-112. Hell, maybe even the sleepy folks in 204 will make some noise for a game of this magnitude!

Personally I don't see how anyone could call themselves an App fan and miss this game unless there's something very serious going on for them personally (illness, infant children etc). Travel distance won't cut it as an excuse. This team needs and deserves all of us to be present and engaged. I'll be leaving my voice in the stands on Saturday. Might even damage my wedding ring on the seatback in front of me.

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:49 pm

Food for thought (and not a prediction thread):

We won the head to head 17 - 7.

We have six common opponents. We are 5-1 and we have averaged scoring 40 and holding our opponents to 16. They are 6-0 and are averaging winning 40-16.

Full schedule stats wise, they are a little better than us on offense, and we are a little better than them on defense.

ESPN has us by 6, Sagarin has us by almost 8, and Massey has us by 7.

This game will be decided by the team that makes the fewest mistakes. HOME FIELD will be crucial. This will be a slobberknocker....
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:53 pm

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:34 pm

It is only Monday.....I can not wait until Saturday!
The Appalachian State

Apptrain

Unread post by Apptrain » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:51 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:37 pm
I expect max quality and min quantity fan-wise on Saturday. 21,000 of our loudest and most engaged fans. Upper east side making us looks bad on TV. Deafening noise coming from the student sections and sections 110-112. Hell, maybe even the sleepy folks in 204 will make some noise for a game of this magnitude!

Personally I don't see how anyone could call themselves an App fan and miss this game unless there's something very serious going on for them personally (illness, infant children etc). Travel distance won't cut it as an excuse. This team needs and deserves all of us to be present and engaged. I'll be leaving my voice in the stands on Saturday. Might even damage my wedding ring on the seatback in front of me.
Damaging ring on seatback, been there. The S.C. game where they kept converting on 4th down. Out of frustration I slammed the seatback that was empty from all the S.C. fans who left early. Bent my ring and startled some S.C. fans sitting further down the bench. One looked around and said “what the hell was that”?

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:57 pm

EastHallApp wrote:

Maybe we do something different in our punt return game to keep our offense from starting inside our 10 yard line. Do we sell out and try to block each punt, put pressure on the kicker? Last game he had the leisure pinning us back better than I've ever seen it done before. Or do we set up extra blocking in the return. Either way it needs to be addressed along with how to fair catch a kickoff too.
BLACK SATURDAY

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:01 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:57 pm
EastHallApp wrote:

Maybe we do something different in our punt return game to keep our offense from starting inside our 10 yard line. Do we sell out and try to block each punt, put pressure on the kicker? Last game he had the leisure pinning us back better than I've ever seen it done before. Or do we set up extra blocking in the return. Either way it needs to be addressed along with how to fair catch a kickoff too.
Since that game I believe Hennigan is much better at fair catching them instead of letting them roll like a few of those punts did. That should help some.

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:02 pm

Besides special teams, I think we will see more of the QB trying to extend plays with his legs, and I am convinced we will see more passing from them than we did the first game.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:18 pm

They keyed on Evans last game, wonder if they'll pick that poison again? Since mid season, every opponents outside linebackers are keying in our off tackle runs with Evans, and we've beaten them all except one.
BLACK SATURDAY

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:29 pm

Now probably isn’t the time to do it since we haven’t yet, but I would really like to see some 2 back sets.
Think about Evans and Raykwon in the backfield, where 1 motions to the slot,
Or Evans and Williams jr In at same time. Seems like that would be tough to defend. Not every down, but 4-5 times per game.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:30 pm

Last time our starting field position was horrible. That coupled with those 2 or 3 near interceptions early on, one of which would've been an easy return for a TD, resulted in Drink going very conservative. I think we'll see more of what we saw against Troy. As for ULL's approach, I have no stinkin' idea after how they played Saturday night. They got lucky against ULM with their kicker going cold, among other things. I get that it was a rivalry game but if that ULL team shows up in Boone then our guys are gonna put on a clinic come high noon on Saturday...

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:32 pm

The Rock wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:29 pm
Now probably isn’t the time to do it since we haven’t yet, but I would really like to see some 2 back sets.
Think about Evans and Raykwon in the backfield, where 1 motions to the slot,
Or Evans and Williams jr In at same time. Seems like that would be tough to defend. Not every down, but 4-5 times per game.
Didn't Satt do that a couple of seasons ago when kinda late in the season he started putting Jalin & Marcus both in the backfield? If I recall correctly it was pretty successful...not a bad idea.

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:33 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:30 pm
Last time our starting field position was horrible. That coupled with those 2 or 3 near interceptions early on, one of which would've been an easy return for a TD, resulted in Drink going very conservative. I think we'll see more of what we saw against Troy. As for ULL's approach, I have no stinkin' idea after how they played Saturday night. They got lucky against ULM with their kicker going cold, among other things. I get that it was a rivalry game but if that ULL team shows up in Boone then our guys are gonna put on a clinic come high noon on Saturday...
I wouldn't plan on seeing THAT team. I think they got caught looking ahead a little bit. Napier wants this one and he would love to come up here and make us look bad.

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:37 pm

We need to put a spy on their QB and be able to get pressure at the same time. I would imagine our coaching staff and players are eager to prove a point.
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:52 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:37 pm
Hell, maybe even the sleepy folks in 204 will make some noise for a game of this magnitude!
Sir, I have seats in section 204 and I will have you know that I am not sleepy!

Contemplative.

Section 204 can be loud when necessary, don't fret none.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:20 pm

We gonna win. It'll be close, but we gonna win.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”