Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Drink Interviews Update

appstategrad2008
School: Appalachian State

Re: Drink Interviews Update

Unread post by appstategrad2008 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:42 pm

We can't go losing Drink... cause lets be real, there can only be so many coaches out there that look so similar in a visor.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:43 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:32 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:45 pm
Distractions are on both sides. Louisiana’s AD has stated that he expects to lose Napier this year.
I thought they were just preparing for his departure. There was no time table listed.

The only thing that could really happen is that Kiffin falls through at Arkansas, Fuente goes to Arkansas leaving Virginia Tech open. That's a job I could see Drinkwitz being on a short list for, unfortunately.
he did say this year. Seems like a pretty definitive time table to me.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:50 pm

I've been anointed king of the redundant threads. So why do we have 2,3,4, or 5 threads on this topic?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:52 pm

This is the update thread. Not to be confused with the original thread.
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:52 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:24 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:20 pm
MountainMan2020 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:02 pm
Hope you’re right and they are locked in, but as it relates to the guy doing the game plan (and directly calling the plays) - I’m just considering if it’s reasonably possible to be focused 100% on the immediate task. Granted, most of us aren’t football coaches - but if you’ve ever taken a new job, you know the feeling during your last 1-2 weeks at the old one. Not suggesting you bail on your former employer and mail it in, but you’re excited for the new opportunity, you inevitably think ahead, you’re excited and a bit anxious. At best, it’s a distraction, and in my view one that should have been managed better (i.e., wait FOUR or FIVE days).
Just me but if I was doing the interview for AK and Drink ask me to wait a few days so he could focus on the task at hand it would have been a plus for Drink in my book. I would have respected his commitment to his current players and employer. But I don’t interview coaches for million dollar jobs and I imagine most folks who do would want to see him willing to do anything for the chance to talk to them.
Drink would be probably 4th or 5th in their group of targets considering the Chad Morris fiasco.

They weren't going to wait and they likely already had a scheduled meeting with Kiffin. They likely had someone tell the AD to take time to talk to Drinkwitz considering his ties to Arkansas and success to this point in his career out of an abundance of caution. Assuming Drinkwitz was at the airport when they landed and left before wheels up, he probably took 3 hours out of a Saturday to meet with them.

Saturday was when the Arkansas plane flew from Arkansas to North Wilkesboro to Boca. They landed in Boca that night and spent close to the entire next day there.
Eric, if Drink leaves, especially for Arkansas, my guess is DBG follows him. That would be adding insult to injury

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:53 pm

NewApp wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:50 pm
I've been anointed king of the redundant threads. So why do we have 2,3,4, or 5 threads on this topic?
You can still start a Rumors, update thread...

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:58 pm

The Rock wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:53 pm
NewApp wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:50 pm
You can still start a Rumors, update thread...

Might just do that. LOL
Google SUX

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:04 pm

The Rock wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:52 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
MountainMan2020 wrote:
Hope you’re right and they are locked in, but as it relates to the guy doing the game plan (and directly calling the plays) - I’m just considering if it’s reasonably possible to be focused 100% on the immediate task. Granted, most of us aren’t football coaches - but if you’ve ever taken a new job, you know the feeling during your last 1-2 weeks at the old one. Not suggesting you bail on your former employer and mail it in, but you’re excited for the new opportunity, you inevitably think ahead, you’re excited and a bit anxious. At best, it’s a distraction, and in my view one that should have been managed better (i.e., wait FOUR or FIVE days).
Just me but if I was doing the interview for AK and Drink ask me to wait a few days so he could focus on the task at hand it would have been a plus for Drink in my book. I would have respected his commitment to his current players and employer. But I don’t interview coaches for million dollar jobs and I imagine most folks who do would want to see him willing to do anything for the chance to talk to them.
Drink would be probably 4th or 5th in their group of targets considering the Chad Morris fiasco.

They weren't going to wait and they likely already had a scheduled meeting with Kiffin. They likely had someone tell the AD to take time to talk to Drinkwitz considering his ties to Arkansas and success to this point in his career out of an abundance of caution. Assuming Drinkwitz was at the airport when they landed and left before wheels up, he probably took 3 hours out of a Saturday to meet with them.

Saturday was when the Arkansas plane flew from Arkansas to North Wilkesboro to Boca. They landed in Boca that night and spent close to the entire next day there.
Eric, if Drink leaves, especially for Arkansas, my guess is DBG follows him. That would be adding insult to injury
Rather than address the argument, you make an insult. Good job.

News Flash, he may travel to Arkansas in the offseason for whatever reason but it won't be for work.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:05 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:43 pm
ericsaid wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Distractions are on both sides. Louisiana’s AD has stated that he expects to lose Napier this year.
I thought they were just preparing for his departure. There was no time table listed.

The only thing that could really happen is that Kiffin falls through at Arkansas, Fuente goes to Arkansas leaving Virginia Tech open. That's a job I could see Drinkwitz being on a short list for, unfortunately.
Then who has offered him? I just don't see an opening unless it's Ole Miss and it's just not being reported on. Supposedly Memphis will be going internal for their hire.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:12 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:05 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:43 pm
ericsaid wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Then who has offered him? I just don't see an opening unless it's Ole Miss and it's just not being reported on. Supposedly Memphis will be going internal for their hire.
Dude I am just posting what the AD said. I’m not trying to be cryptic with insider info, or make accusations or speculations. Geez.

John-N-Houston

Unread post by John-N-Houston » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:32 pm

beachneer40 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:48 pm
MountainMan2020 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:37 pm
beachneer40 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:08 pm
So earlier today Wash. St. extended Leach which effectively takes him out of the running for Ark. Kiffin has made it known that Ole Miss is his preferred destination, Norvell allegedly has a handshake agreement with FSU. With all that being said the only person left out of the initial four interviews that we know about is Drink.

I said earlier that I thought Drink was option C, my gut tells me at the moment he is probably currently 1B behind Kiffin. Either that or Arkansas admin drops back and punts to a guy like Dave Clawson. Have sources inside the building at App but at the moment it is all business for ULL as it should be. Just wanted to share my thoughts on where this was headed.
If the outcome is unfavorable on Saturday, can’t help but think there will be MUCH speculation on distractions as a result of the head coach’s decision to take an interview the week of a conference championship game. Regardless of “business as usual appearance”, it’s basic human nature to think about the head coach bailing-out on game prep for interview prep + the interview itself and then bouncing the day after this week’s game. So it undoubtedly IS on the minds of many in that building. Whether it makes any difference or not remains to be seen, but fortunately (or unfortunately) the players have some prior experience with the issue.

You can say “it’s business, this is how it works”, but it isn’t the best “team first” move. I get ambition and moving up the ladder and am all for it, but it’s something that should have taken place Saturday night or Sunday AM if there is genuine interest from the school + confidence in being the right person for that job.
Really like this take. Also think that saturday could definitely effect the coaching carousel in general. A lot of dominos could fall, but at the moment my bet is Drink has his guys locked in, really think our guys are mentally tough enough to understand whats going on and still be able to lock in and focus on the task at hand saturday.
You’re correct, that was a good take and, yes, remember that the team lost no concentration at last year’s New Orleans Bowl. Still, I wonder how all this talk of Drink’s possible departure will effect our potential recruits which, at the moment, are shaping up to be the best in App State history.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:35 pm

It didn’t affect us negatively last year, why would you think it would be different this time around?

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:37 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:35 pm
It didn’t affect us negatively last year, why would you think it would be different this time around?

How do you know. How do you know how many who were considering App didn't follow through? And didn't one or two flip to Louisville?
Google SUX

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:42 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:04 pm
The Rock wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
MountainMan2020 wrote:

Rather than address the argument, you make an insult. Good job.

News Flash, he may travel to Arkansas in the offseason for whatever reason but it won't be for work.
That is a serious statement. Arkansas has a bad stable of QBs,DBG was getting looks from P5s late when drink locked n down. It wouldn’t suprise me to see him go there. 4 years of eligibility and 1 in drinks system

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:39 pm

NewApp wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:37 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:35 pm

How do you know. How do you know how many who were considering App didn't follow through? And didn't one or two flip to Louisville?
Conley went to Louisville with Satt. We lost two OL that flipped to P5s which may have happened anyway. We ended up signing everyone else that was committed at the time if I remember correctly.

Kafarmer

Unread post by Kafarmer » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:01 pm

Distractions? Hell we are the distraction right now.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:13 pm

The Rock wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
MountainMan2020 wrote:

I know we are all excited about DBG, but from what I heard he is no where close to competing for a starting job here, obviously, a lot can happen over another off season, but you never know what recruits come in and press him by the time Zac leaves,
The Appalachian State

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:25 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:13 pm
The Rock wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
MountainMan2020 wrote:

I know we are all excited about DBG, but from what I heard he is no where close to competing for a starting job here, obviously, a lot can happen over another off season, but you never know what recruits come in and press him by the time Zac leaves,
Man, you are going to ruin ericsaids holidays with this take.

John-N-Houston

Unread post by John-N-Houston » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:25 pm

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:30 pm

Drink won’t make a lateral move.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”