Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Drink Interviews Update

appstatealum
School: Appalachian State

Re: Drink Interviews Update

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:32 pm

John-N-Houston wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:25 pm
https://collegefootballnews.com/2019/12 ... ration/amp

I don’t THINK so! (Hopefully!)
That’s a wish list. No offense to Colorado St, but a move from the most dominant program in a comparable G5 to coach there doesnt move the needle like a SEC West opening. Enjoy the search Colorado St, I don’t expect to see any of us tracking flights to Colorado.
The Appalachian State

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:34 pm

John-N-Houston wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:25 pm
https://collegefootballnews.com/2019/12 ... ration/amp

I don’t THINK so! (Hopefully!)
If he left us for THAT I would be deeply hurt.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:35 pm

Fun fact, since I saw his name in that list, Jim McElwain was one of the coaches really wanting a shot at the App State job. Needless to say, DG is a smart guy.

I can’t see his name and not think of that poor shark.
The Appalachian State

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:58 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:30 pm
Drink won’t make a lateral move.
I could see him leaving for another G5, but not that one. If, say, Memphis wanted him? I could see that because it’s another ready-made situation where he could advance quickly to a P5 and get a big raise in the meantime.

Somewhere like Colorado State could pay him more than we can, but it would be a multiyear rebuild with no guarantee of success. He’d run much more risk of never getting that P5 shot than he would by coming back here to another loaded roster in 2020.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:13 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:58 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
I could see him leaving for another G5, but not that one. If, say, Memphis wanted him? I could see that because it’s another ready-made situation where he could advance quickly to a P5 and get a big raise in the meantime.

Somewhere like Colorado State could pay him more than we can, but it would be a multiyear rebuild with no guarantee of success. He’d run much more risk of never getting that P5 shot than he would by coming back here to another loaded roster in 2020.
I will disagree with you as I don’t think he views any G5 job as anything but a lateral position. He declined Missouri’s OC job because he wasn’t moving for a lateral position. I could be wrong, but if a P5 is in his sites, I don’t see him leaving for another stepping stone G5.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:15 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Really the only G5 I think he may leave for is Boise state. He has been there in the past. Coincidentally Harsin is now a candidate in the Missouri search. Hopefully Anderson will get the job and that one won’t open up

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:18 pm

The Rock wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:15 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Really the only G5 I think he may leave for is Boise state. He has been there in the past. Coincidentally Harsin is now a candidate in the Missouri search. Hopefully Anderson will get the job and that one won’t open up
There appears to be a pissing match in Missouri between the AD and the Board of Regents. The BoR was not enamored with the names that the AD brought to them. Anderson being one of them. They want Harsin.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:23 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:13 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

I will disagree with you as I don’t think he views any G5 job as anything but a lateral position. He declined Missouri’s OC job because he wasn’t moving for a lateral position. I could be wrong, but if a P5 is in his sites, I don’t see him leaving for another stepping stone G5.
Curious as to what you base that view on. If you mean he declined to go from State to Missouri, that would indeed be pretty close to lateral in terms of pay, program standing, etc.

I have no idea what Drink personally thinks, but the reality is an AAC job could triple his salary, not to mention offer more favorable treatment come bowl season (as we’re seeing now). Objectively speaking, hard to call that “lateral.”

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:35 pm

Drink will take a G5 job that will give him a good boost in pay. On the radio this morning he told the ESPN guys that he would come on the radio each week to rag on the Alabama guy, but they would have to contact his agent because he wasn't doing it for free. It was probably nothing, but just gave me the idea that his mindset is to get more money. I'm positive he would take a Memphis job, not sure about Colorado State.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:39 pm

BUTCH1991 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:35 pm
Drink will take a G5 job that will give him a good boost in pay. On the radio this morning he told the ESPN guys that he would come on the radio each week to rag on the Alabama guy, but they would have to contact his agent because he wasn't doing it for free. It was probably nothing, but just gave me the idea that his mindset is to get more money. I'm positive he would take a Memphis job, not sure about Colorado State.
The only G5 jobs I think he might even consider would be Boise or Memphis but I am not sure he would. Why go there a year early when you could make 1-2M more at a P5 the following year. Plus, he would have to move and I doubt his wife wants to move for 3 straight years.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:51 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:23 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:13 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Curious as to what you base that view on. If you mean he declined to go from State to Missouri, that would indeed be pretty close to lateral in terms of pay, program standing, etc.

I have no idea what Drink personally thinks, but the reality is an AAC job could triple his salary, not to mention offer more favorable treatment come bowl season (as we’re seeing now). Objectively speaking, hard to call that “lateral.”
I have no idea what Drink is thinking either. But what I have gathered about him is that he is calculating in all that he does. I understand that it is an easy argument to say they can pay more than we can. That’s not untrue. But they can’t pay what a P5 can. So if I am Drink, I have to think that if my name is being thrown around for SEC jobs after year 1 as a HC, even if I don’t get it, I will probably get mentioned more next year. So while I am making $750k this year, and I can parlay my success into $2.5 mil. It limits me from parlaying it into $3.5 the next year. Effectively, waiting a year for a P5 job will give me a net gain $750 to $1 million per year over a AAC job.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:58 pm

Memphis will hire within. If Harsin goes to Missouri, we should have some concern. Not full blown panic, but some concern.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:07 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:58 pm
Memphis will hire within. If Harsin goes to Missouri, we should have some concern. Not full blown panic, but some concern.
I recall seeing a huge buyout for Harsin.
The Appalachian State

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:13 pm

I read his contract. It says he is expected to work the term of his contract unless given permission by the AD to interview and be considered for another job. I’m going to be as ass and say Coach if this were the end of year 2 or after we gave you an extension after year 3 and you asked I’d say yes. But come on Coach...After year 1 and the possibility of losing recruits again...Sorry the answer is no. That is not the commitment you made to me and this institution.

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:14 pm

If boise comes he gone.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:19 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:13 pm
I read his contract. It says he is expected to work the term of his contract unless given permission by the AD to interview and be considered for another job. I’m going to be as ass and say Coach if this were the end of year 2 or after we gave you an extension after year 3 and you asked I’d say yes. But come on Coach...After year 1 and the possibility of losing recruits again...Sorry the answer is no. That is not the commitment you made to me and this institution.
Then you wouldn't be an AD for long because you'd have a real hard time getting coaches to want to work for you.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:21 pm

yosef69 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:14 pm
If boise comes he gone.
I shouldn't but Everytime I see "he gone" I burst out laughing! Only to realize this effects me!
FREQS AND GEEKS!

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:37 pm

The Rock wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:42 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:04 pm
The Rock wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:52 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:24 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:20 pm

Just me but if I was doing the interview for AK and Drink ask me to wait a few days so he could focus on the task at hand it would have been a plus for Drink in my book. I would have respected his commitment to his current players and employer. But I don’t interview coaches for million dollar jobs and I imagine most folks who do would want to see him willing to do anything for the chance to talk to them.
Drink would be probably 4th or 5th in their group of targets considering the Chad Morris fiasco.

They weren't going to wait and they likely already had a scheduled meeting with Kiffin. They likely had someone tell the AD to take time to talk to Drinkwitz considering his ties to Arkansas and success to this point in his career out of an abundance of caution. Assuming Drinkwitz was at the airport when they landed and left before wheels up, he probably took 3 hours out of a Saturday to meet with them.

Saturday was when the Arkansas plane flew from Arkansas to North Wilkesboro to Boca. They landed in Boca that night and spent close to the entire next day there.
Eric, if Drink leaves, especially for Arkansas, my guess is DBG follows him. That would be adding insult to injury
Rather than address the argument, you make an insult. Good job.

News Flash, he may travel to Arkansas in the offseason for whatever reason but it won't be for work.
That is a serious statement. Arkansas has a bad stable of QBs,DBG was getting looks from P5s late when drink locked n down. It wouldn’t suprise me to see him go there. 4 years of eligibility and 1 in drinks system
Sure, he could, if his sole reason for choosing App was Drinkwitz. That's also assuming Drinkwitz leaves for Arkansas, which he isn't.

It's Kiffin, it's always been Kiffin. This stuff about Kiffin being interested in Ole Miss is a negotiation tactic.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:47 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:19 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Then you wouldn't be an AD for long because you'd have a real hard time getting coaches to want to work for you.
Unreasonable to assume your new hire stays more than 1 year?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:48 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:47 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:19 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Unreasonable to assume your new hire stays more than 1 year?
Expect? No. Require? Yes

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”