Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Drink Interviews Update

Stonewall
School: Appalachian State

Re: Drink Interviews Update

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:04 pm

He would be the riskiest hire of the lot. The team has done what we knew it could unless coaching screwed it up. To his credit he didn’t , but he certainly has not built a program , or rebuilt one. If an AD taps him they are really rolling the dice.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:22 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:04 pm
He would be the riskiest hire of the lot. The team has done what we knew it could unless coaching screwed it up. To his credit he didn’t , but he certainly has not built a program , or rebuilt one. If an AD taps him they are really rolling the dice.
Exactly what I have been thinking. I love Drink and think he has done a good job but those on the inside expected a great season. If I'm a P5 AD I would want to see his recruiting and performance in 2020 and 2021 before I would take the chance. I'm not doubting he can do it but just saying when you pay someone millions you need to know for sure they are capable and not take a risk.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:05 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:22 pm
Stonewall wrote:
Exactly what I have been thinking. I love Drink and think he has done a good job but those on the inside expected a great season. If I'm a P5 AD I would want to see his recruiting and performance in 2020 and 2021 before I would take the chance. I'm not doubting he can do it but just saying when you pay someone millions you need to know for sure they are capable and not take a risk.
Yeah, I mean he's still pretty much playing with Satterfield's recruits right? You'd need to give him a couple of seasons to see what he does for recruiting after the Evans, Thomas, Gaither, Sutton, Jollie, etc. graduate and see what he does with his own recruits.

asu7

Unread post by asu7 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:09 pm

No offense to Drink but we don’t know what kind of recruiter he is ourselves yet. He could turn out to be a flop for all we know. Now I doubt this happens but he has been driving Satterfield’s Lambo. Let’s see what he does with his own recruits. I think he will be good but we don’t know for sure. So yes he is a risky hire but... the razorbacks are morons. They think they should be hearing Bama, LSU and Auburn every year. Not going to happen.

booneboy92

Unread post by booneboy92 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:16 am

asu7 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:09 pm
No offense to Drink but we don’t know what kind of recruiter he is ourselves yet. He could turn out to be a flop for all we know. Now I doubt this happens but he has been driving Satterfield’s Lambo. Let’s see what he does with his own recruits. I think he will be good but we don’t know for sure. So yes he is a risky hire but... the razorbacks are morons. They think they should be hearing Bama, LSU and Auburn every year. Not going to happen.
Yes... He’s been driving a stellar customized Lamborghini... But... doing it like an Earnhardt or Andretti!... We don’t need to be discrediting Drink (about recruiting, etc.) out of our personal fear... I’m as concerned as anyone, and don’t think we have him long term. But, due to the fact last year at this time most of of us didn’t even know his name, till now?!... dude’s been amazing, and well deserving of being on higher profile radars than AK! We all need to be chest thumping/grateful for this season, and just hope it continues... Not a knock to your post, just trying to stay positive and give a lot of credit to Drink...

booneboy92

Unread post by booneboy92 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:23 am

booneboy92 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:16 am
asu7 wrote:
Yes... He’s been driving a stellar customized Lamborghini... But... doing it like an Earnhardt or Andretti!... We don’t need to be discrediting Drink (about recruiting, etc.) out of our personal fear... I’m as concerned as anyone, and don’t think we have him long term. But, due to the fact last year at this time most of of us didn’t even know his name, till now?!... dude’s been amazing, and well deserving of being on higher profile radars than AK! We all need to be chest thumping/grateful for this season, and just hope it continues... Not a knock to your post, just trying to stay positive and give a lot of credit to Drink...
And... I should have posted this as a reply to the whole thread... Not that you aren’t giving drink enough credit, but these “Poachers” know the game... We’re all trying to figure out reasons he shouldn’t go (yet).... I meant no offense to you personally!

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:27 am

booneboy92 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:23 am
booneboy92 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:16 am
asu7 wrote:
And... I should have posted this as a reply to the whole thread... Not that you aren’t giving drink enough credit, but these “Poachers” know the game... We’re all trying to figure out reasons he shouldn’t go (yet).... I meant no offense to you personally!
We just need to get to the point that the program is bigger than one person, which I think we're getting there. We've continued to be successful without Moore or Satterfield at the helm, we just need to make sure it stays that way in the event that Drink goes to greener pastures.

At least we're a Top-20 team, as long as that is a common theme year-in and year-out that should keep recruitment up and keep the program attractive to successful up and coming coaches.

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:45 am

If I were Coach Drink, I would strike while the iron is hot. Next year's roster looks stacked but the following year will be a complete re-load. 1-0 then off to NOLA!!!

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:31 am

Not looking great. Don’t think we keep Drink this year. Too many opportunities out there

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:36 am

Stonewall wrote:
Could've read the same thing here 12 months ago when he was announced and following the Charlotte game. We see how that turned out.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:40 am

The Rock wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:31 am

Not looking great. Don’t think we keep Drink this year. Too many opportunities out there
Drinkwitz is...not...going...to...Arkansas. Point blank.

Of all the interviews they had, his was by far the shortest. They are pushing hard for Kiffin. The only reason the Ole Miss news came out is because Kiffin is trying to enhance his position in contract negotiations which would be ongoing right now, if they reached a verbal agreement, which it was reported that they did.

He wants something in his contract that Arkansas isn't budging on at the moment and he doesn't have a ton of leverage at the moment unless he presented an interest elsewhere, even if the interest isn't 100% mutual.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:01 am

Imagine you are Arkansas AD with a program that has been declining for years and in the same division as Bama. Would you hire a first year G5 head coach considering who else is available?

And

Maybe Kiffen was on that plane and wanted to talk to Drink about being his OC and Drink laughed in his face and sent him down the mountain in haste.
WE ARE YOSEF!

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:25 am

The Rock wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:52 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:24 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:20 pm
MountainMan2020 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:02 pm
Hope you’re right and they are locked in, but as it relates to the guy doing the game plan (and directly calling the plays) - I’m just considering if it’s reasonably possible to be focused 100% on the immediate task. Granted, most of us aren’t football coaches - but if you’ve ever taken a new job, you know the feeling during your last 1-2 weeks at the old one. Not suggesting you bail on your former employer and mail it in, but you’re excited for the new opportunity, you inevitably think ahead, you’re excited and a bit anxious. At best, it’s a distraction, and in my view one that should have been managed better (i.e., wait FOUR or FIVE days).
Just me but if I was doing the interview for AK and Drink ask me to wait a few days so he could focus on the task at hand it would have been a plus for Drink in my book. I would have respected his commitment to his current players and employer. But I don’t interview coaches for million dollar jobs and I imagine most folks who do would want to see him willing to do anything for the chance to talk to them.
Drink would be probably 4th or 5th in their group of targets considering the Chad Morris fiasco.

They weren't going to wait and they likely already had a scheduled meeting with Kiffin. They likely had someone tell the AD to take time to talk to Drinkwitz considering his ties to Arkansas and success to this point in his career out of an abundance of caution. Assuming Drinkwitz was at the airport when they landed and left before wheels up, he probably took 3 hours out of a Saturday to meet with them.

Saturday was when the Arkansas plane flew from Arkansas to North Wilkesboro to Boca. They landed in Boca that night and spent close to the entire next day there.
Eric, if Drink leaves, especially for Arkansas, my guess is DBG follows him. That would be adding insult to injury
So, question. How does eligibility work when you've already taken a red shirt year? If DBG did transfer would he lose a year or would he still get 4 years of playing? So, would he lose the year he sits out for transferring?

asu7

Unread post by asu7 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:29 am

He’s a good coach no doubt. However right now he is a risky hire. Now I think he can recruit and I am sure as good of coach as he is that he can recruit as well. Hope he stays.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:36 am

The Rock wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:31 am

And an hour later said "I just got a text saying it's Kiffin." Their AD is doing a great job keeping it under wraps and throwing out several possibilities.

That said, it's Kiffin. The noise about Ole Miss is for negotiations. You really think Lane is going to Ole Miss after they threw his brother under the bus for NCAA violations?
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

asu7

Unread post by asu7 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:40 am

I dunno but my heart can’t take this crap.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:41 am

1. Drink 1 year as a head coach
2. No recruiting results
3. Coached a stacked roster with multiple all stars
4. Aggressive(sometimes) play calling
5. Has ties to Arkansas.....
Again as an AD getting Drinkwitz is a big unknown. I'd prefer some experience with dumpster fires.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:45 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:22 pm
Stonewall wrote:
That is exactly what the Louisville AD did.
BLACK SATURDAY

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:48 am

asu7 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:40 am
I dunno but my heart can’t take this crap.
If it helps, you got through it last year. :D

Oldlknapp

Unread post by Oldlknapp » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:54 am

As I read some of your comments I can't help but think about the old
"Blues" song by "Saffire" titled "Middle Aged Blues Boogie". In it she sings "...forget about experience, I'd rather have potential..." . And so it may be with some of Drinks potential suitors.

On the other hand, if Drink takes us to a NY6 bowl (as many of you have lobbied for), gaining experience, his stock as a P5 coach will go up "exponentially". The $$$ offers will be so high from some P5's he will not be able to turn it down.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”