Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Drink Interviews Update

beachneer40
School: Appalachian State

Drink Interviews Update

Unread post by beachneer40 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:08 pm

So earlier today Wash. St. extended Leach which effectively takes him out of the running for Ark. Kiffin has made it known that Ole Miss is his preferred destination, Norvell allegedly has a handshake agreement with FSU. With all that being said the only person left out of the initial four interviews that we know about is Drink.

I said earlier that I thought Drink was option C, my gut tells me at the moment he is probably currently 1B behind Kiffin. Either that or Arkansas admin drops back and punts to a guy like Dave Clawson. Have sources inside the building at App but at the moment it is all business for ULL as it should be. Just wanted to share my thoughts on where this was headed.

Kafarmer

Re: Drink Interviews Update

Unread post by Kafarmer » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:13 pm

Maybe it’s time to focus in on this weekends game and let the discussion die down until someone says something official. We have a championship game to play in two days. If Coach Drink is interested, then so be it it. I’d like to keep him, but this team has earned our support and that’s where our focus should be for the next couple of days. If there is anything to talk about we’ll know Sunday or Monday. Give ‘Em Hell Apps!

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:18 pm

I do like the fact that it appears he made them come see him in Boone rather than leave town and extended loss of focus for the championship game in his absence.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:19 pm

The only thing I will say without any insight to the actual goings on, Arkansas better get it right. The once proud Razorbacks have fallen on hard times recently and one witnessed what little patience they displayed with Morris. Whomever takes the job better see some early signs of success or their time in Fayetteville will be short-lived. Coaches have egos and they all think they can come in and turn things around and while the money will likely be good, one has to think whether this is a job that is save-able in the short run.

As a young man, Drink can look at it two ways. If he fails, he's young enough to rebound and restore his future. On the other hand, at his age and with his connections, a better job will come if he is patient. I have no idea what he would/will do. But, I won't lose any sleep over it. He either is here in 2020 or he's not. I'm 68 and my perspective is a lot different than his.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:24 pm

Napier has the best resume for Arkansas.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:26 pm

Man if you look at Arkansas' depth chart their QB situation is scary bad. Hard to win many games with zero direction under center. To me that is the hardest job to sell right now. Your division is the toughest in all of football with LSU, Bama, and Auburn. It's a hard place to recruit to. On top of all that you have a fan base that demands to win. Whoever takes that job better be ready.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:31 pm

Drinks Agent- “Hey Eli, congratulations on a good season so far. So, as we predicted, I am starting to field calls about your interest in some coaching vacancies.”

Drink - “Ok, who all is calling?”

Agent- “BC, Mizzou, .... Arkansas. Arkansas would really like to meet ASAP.”

Drink- “well, obviously I have some ties there and being able to coach in the SEC West would be the pinnacle, but I’ve got to focus on the 1-0 and get these boys ready for our SB Championship game. Tell them if they want to talk, they can come on up here and I’ll work out some time to sit with them. It won’t hurt to hear what they have to say and the PR could be good for me for the future even if I’m just a third or fourth option, I definitely don’t want the opportunity to pass, you never know how many opportunities will be available like this.”

If this is how it goes down (in so many words), I would do the same, maybe he is like us and figures he is just one name on a long list. He talked to Missouri in the past about an OC job and that’s how DG heard about him. Missouri thought highly of him, but didn’t hire him for probably multiple reasons that any current Power school would be considering as well and Drink wanted to be a HC, not just an OC. One of DGs contacts let him know about Drink and his intentions to be a HC, so Drink brought him in. The rest is history.
The Appalachian State

MountainMan2020

Unread post by MountainMan2020 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:37 pm

beachneer40 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:08 pm
So earlier today Wash. St. extended Leach which effectively takes him out of the running for Ark. Kiffin has made it known that Ole Miss is his preferred destination, Norvell allegedly has a handshake agreement with FSU. With all that being said the only person left out of the initial four interviews that we know about is Drink.

I said earlier that I thought Drink was option C, my gut tells me at the moment he is probably currently 1B behind Kiffin. Either that or Arkansas admin drops back and punts to a guy like Dave Clawson. Have sources inside the building at App but at the moment it is all business for ULL as it should be. Just wanted to share my thoughts on where this was headed.
If the outcome is unfavorable on Saturday, can’t help but think there will be MUCH speculation on distractions as a result of the head coach’s decision to take an interview the week of a conference championship game. Regardless of “business as usual appearance”, it’s basic human nature to think about the head coach bailing-out on game prep for interview prep + the interview itself and then bouncing the day after this week’s game. So it undoubtedly IS on the minds of many in that building. Whether it makes any difference or not remains to be seen, but fortunately (or unfortunately) the players have some prior experience with the issue.

You can say “it’s business, this is how it works”, but it isn’t the best “team first” move. I get ambition and moving up the ladder and am all for it, but it’s something that should have taken place Saturday night or Sunday AM if there is genuine interest from the school + confidence in being the right person for that job.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:45 pm

Distractions are on both sides. Louisiana’s AD has stated that he expects to lose Napier this year.

beachneer40

Unread post by beachneer40 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:48 pm

MountainMan2020 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:37 pm
beachneer40 wrote:

If the outcome is unfavorable on Saturday, can’t help but think there will be MUCH speculation on distractions as a result of the head coach’s decision to take an interview the week of a conference championship game. Regardless of “business as usual appearance”, it’s basic human nature to think about the head coach bailing-out on game prep for interview prep + the interview itself and then bouncing the day after this week’s game. So it undoubtedly IS on the minds of many in that building. Whether it makes any difference or not remains to be seen, but fortunately (or unfortunately) the players have some prior experience with the issue.

You can say “it’s business, this is how it works”, but it isn’t the best “team first” move. I get ambition and moving up the ladder and am all for it, but it’s something that should have taken place Saturday night or Sunday AM if there is genuine interest from the school + confidence in being the right person for that job.
Really like this take. Also think that saturday could definitely effect the coaching carousel in general. A lot of dominos could fall, but at the moment my bet is Drink has his guys locked in, really think our guys are mentally tough enough to understand whats going on and still be able to lock in and focus on the task at hand saturday.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:51 pm

Said it before and I’ll say it again. If Drink was going to take this interview this week he needed to find a way to keep it off anybody’s radar.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:57 pm

MountainMan2020 wrote:
beachneer40 wrote:

All that is great in theory and I doubt that anyone would disagree conceptually, but Drink isn't the one driving the timeline here. Opportunities present themselves and sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. A first year head coach who is being considered for a huge step up (even if he's not a front runner) isn't exactly in a position to dictate terms.

I see some folks on here who get very righteous about what a coach SHOULD do and when he makes "enough." All I can say is that these people have obviously never been offered a job that would multiply their salary. I think Drink will most likely be coaching App next year but if that doesn't turn out to be the case, I'm not going to begrudge him the pursuit of an opportunity like this (home state, SEC team, HUGE salary!).

Trust the Visor! Beat Louisiana!

MountainMan2020

Unread post by MountainMan2020 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:02 pm

Hope you’re right and they are locked in, but as it relates to the guy doing the game plan (and directly calling the plays) - I’m just considering if it’s reasonably possible to be focused 100% on the immediate task. Granted, most of us aren’t football coaches - but if you’ve ever taken a new job, you know the feeling during your last 1-2 weeks at the old one. Not suggesting you bail on your former employer and mail it in, but you’re excited for the new opportunity, you inevitably think ahead, you’re excited and a bit anxious. At best, it’s a distraction, and in my view one that should have been managed better (i.e., wait FOUR or FIVE days).

MountainMan2020

Unread post by MountainMan2020 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:17 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:57 pm
MountainMan2020 wrote:
beachneer40 wrote:

All that is great in theory and I doubt that anyone would disagree conceptually, but Drink isn't the one driving the timeline here. Opportunities present themselves and sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. A first year head coach who is being considered for a huge step up (even if he's not a front runner) isn't exactly in a position to dictate terms.

I see some folks on here who get very righteous about what a coach SHOULD do and when he makes "enough." All I can say is that these people have obviously never been offered a job that would multiply their salary. I think Drink will most likely be coaching App next year but if that doesn't turn out to be the case, I'm not going to begrudge him the pursuit of an opportunity like this (home state, SEC team, HUGE salary!).

It’s really two separate things. If we lose, naturally people will question whether this impacted the game in some way. Impossible to say to what extent it has on the outcome - maybe none - but I think it’s fair to say people are thinking about it.

As to the decision to interview, my self-righteous view is it could have been managed better. I’d like to think I’d tell myself if they really want me for the job, it will be there Saturday night or Sunday. Would express my high level of interest and then respectfully ask for a meeting right after the game if possible. I’d try not to miss my weekly radio show - which inevitably stirs the pot. If I need to meet this week, then can we do it in a way where it’s not all over the message boards within the hour? Maybe this is how it went down and everyone did their best. Oh well, let’s just win the game, and like others have said I won’t lose any sleep over it! (Or maybe I will... I live in Asia and it’s 3:15AM!)

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:20 pm

beachneer40 wrote:

Arkansas interviewed Fuente yesterday.

Kiffin is believed to have a written agreement with Arkansas. The timing of the Ole Miss interest from Kiffin, a job he said he wasn't interested in initially, tells me that it's a ploy to get something in contract negotiations that Arkansas isn't wanting to give.

Kiffin is going to Arkansas unless whatever he's asking for is that important to him that he backs out, point blank. Norvel is going to FSU, almost for sure. Apparently Blake Anderson is one of the leaders for Mizzou. Ole Miss hasn't interviewed Drink that anyone knows of so he isn't likely to be going that.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:20 pm

MountainMan2020 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:02 pm
Hope you’re right and they are locked in, but as it relates to the guy doing the game plan (and directly calling the plays) - I’m just considering if it’s reasonably possible to be focused 100% on the immediate task. Granted, most of us aren’t football coaches - but if you’ve ever taken a new job, you know the feeling during your last 1-2 weeks at the old one. Not suggesting you bail on your former employer and mail it in, but you’re excited for the new opportunity, you inevitably think ahead, you’re excited and a bit anxious. At best, it’s a distraction, and in my view one that should have been managed better (i.e., wait FOUR or FIVE days).
Just me but if I was doing the interview for AK and Drink ask me to wait a few days so he could focus on the task at hand it would have been a plus for Drink in my book. I would have respected his commitment to his current players and employer. But I don’t interview coaches for million dollar jobs and I imagine most folks who do would want to see him willing to do anything for the chance to talk to them.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:22 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:57 pm
MountainMan2020 wrote:
beachneer40 wrote:

If Arkansas asked Drink if he wanted an interview and agreed to fly to North Wilkesboro, which they did, it wouldn't take ANY time out of Game Prep for Drink. They were wheels on the ground to wheels up in Wilksboro for 3 1/2 hours. They spent an entire day in Washington and have been back and forth to Boca for all of this week.

The amount of time spent with Drink tells me he was a part of their due diligence. It also helps in contract negotiations to have other interested parties so your target doesn't hold all the cards.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:24 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:20 pm
MountainMan2020 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:02 pm
Just me but if I was doing the interview for AK and Drink ask me to wait a few days so he could focus on the task at hand it would have been a plus for Drink in my book. I would have respected his commitment to his current players and employer. But I don’t interview coaches for million dollar jobs and I imagine most folks who do would want to see him willing to do anything for the chance to talk to them.
Drink would be probably 4th or 5th in their group of targets considering the Chad Morris fiasco.

They weren't going to wait and they likely already had a scheduled meeting with Kiffin. They likely had someone tell the AD to take time to talk to Drinkwitz considering his ties to Arkansas and success to this point in his career out of an abundance of caution. Assuming Drinkwitz was at the airport when they landed and left before wheels up, he probably took 3 hours out of a Saturday to meet with them.

Saturday was when the Arkansas plane flew from Arkansas to North Wilkesboro to Boca. They landed in Boca that night and spent close to the entire next day there.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:32 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:45 pm
Distractions are on both sides. Louisiana’s AD has stated that he expects to lose Napier this year.
I thought they were just preparing for his departure. There was no time table listed.

The only thing that could really happen is that Kiffin falls through at Arkansas, Fuente goes to Arkansas leaving Virginia Tech open. That's a job I could see Drinkwitz being on a short list for, unfortunately.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:34 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:51 pm
Said it before and I’ll say it again. If Drink was going to take this interview this week he needed to find a way to keep it off anybody’s radar.
Arkansas isn't exactly going around in stealth mode with this. Even if NO ONE knew in the Athletic Department, it would've come out the next day because of the sleuths and amateur pilots on Arkansas message board's.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”