Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Apparently App has legitimately been considered in Belk Bowl talks.

ericsaid
School: Appalachian State

Re: Apparently App has legitimately been considered in Belk Bowl talks.

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:35 pm

Gratefulneer wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:14 pm
TomA415 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:36 pm
I think the issue might end up being that the sun belt has 5 bowl tie ins and as many eligible teams. Not sure how they fill the other one/jump through the hoops to get a team to fill our spot in one of the 5.
Liberty is looking for a bowl... and they have a secondary tie in agreement with the Cure. Meaning if AAC or Sun Belt can’t fill it Liberty can have the bid.

So App to Belk, Louisiana to Nola and Liberty to Cure. Simple, the rest of the bowls per usual.
This has been my take all along, especially if NOLA can get Louisiana and Louisiana Tech. The Louisiana fans really want Tech in New Orleans and it would be good to rejuvenate their fan base.

For me, seeing App take on Virginia Tech (my childhood team thanks to my dad being a UVA fan and Mike Vick) would be pretty great. I'd also actually be able to attend.

But as I stated on a previous thread about this, the Sun Belt would be failing all schools in the conference if they didn't at least approach NOLA and Belk to see if App filling in is feasible. The pay out is $4 million and App would have almost no travel costs when compared to New Orleans. Would also likely fill up the stadium between both App and Virginia Tech considering where Tech thought that they would be earlier in the season.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:53 pm

It really comes down to 4 SEC teams getting into the NY6 games which is extremely likely because I believe 4 will be in the top 11 if not top 10. If Baylor and Wisconsin lose as expected than this is the case.

Cotton is Auburn vs Memphis.
Rose is Oregon vs Penn St or Wisconsin.
Orange is Florida vs Virginia.
Sugar is Georgia vs Oklahoma.
Playoff 1 is Ohio St vs Utah
Playoff 2 is LSU vs Clemson

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:54 pm

ASU2012 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:06 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:35 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:30 pm
ASU2012 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:56 pm
I’m guessing UGA, LSU, Bama, and Florida would all need to go to NY6 bowls for this to happen.
Basically, if you’re rooting for a Belk Bowl bid for App, then root for UGA on Saturday. And probably Clemson and Ohio State as well (not that they need the help).
It would be interesting though if LSU, UGA, Florida, and Alabama or Auburn end up getting in though. I doubt things fall our way but if we lose to Louisiana I won't really care then because to me losing to them makes this season a bust. Anything less than the SBC title and we failed iMO. If we aren't the SBC champ and got in the Belk Bowl it would take a lot of hype off the game and I'm sure the ACC team would not be too thrilled. We would not be ranked.

Here is the real question. Place odds on the NY6 or Belk Bowl. Which is more likely?
This isn’t even a question since NY6 chances are literally 0%. Unless you think we can win by 100 and Cinci beats Memphis 3-2 with all 22 starters getting injured
I think it is Belk Bowl because I'm with you. NY6 is not happening this year. If we win the next two games though we will have a real shot next year. We just won't be able to lose a game next year.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:01 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:17 pm
There’s a Simpsons for everything, but sometimes an Archer clip works better.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

wncapp78

Unread post by wncapp78 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:05 pm

Go read the article in the Lafayette newspaper. The New Orleans Bowl execs are drooling over the potential for a ULL vs LaTech (or anyone). App attendance in NOLA was 20,000 less than bowl execs would have with ULL. NOLA WANTS ULL. SUNBELT CONFERENCE OFFICE IS LOCATED INSIDE THE SUPERDOME. ANY CHANCE THEYRE TALKING??
My question—how does Belk get out of inviting SEC team?

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:27 pm

wncapp78 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:05 pm
Go read the article in the Lafayette newspaper. The New Orleans Bowl execs are drooling over the potential for a ULL vs LaTech (or anyone). App attendance in NOLA was 20,000 less than bowl execs would have with ULL. NOLA WANTS ULL. SUNBELT CONFERENCE OFFICE IS LOCATED INSIDE THE SUPERDOME. ANY CHANCE THEYRE TALKING??
Money!

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:28 pm

5 years in the FBS and folks are talking about App playing an ACC team in a pretty well know Bowl game. Hope the guys can focus thru this a get the win on Saturday. This has already been a record breaking season. A win on Saturday would make us the first FBS team in NC to have a 12 win season. Enjoy the moment Mountaineers and get everyone you can to the Rock on Saturday.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:29 pm

The SEC ha 9 bowl-eligible teams and 10 direct bowl tie-ins, not including the CFB Playoff and other NY6 games. The Cotton Bowl spot versus the top G5 is an at large and the Orange Bowl is ACC versus SEC/Big Ten/Notre Dame.

I don't think you really need two SEC teams to make the playoff. Just have the SEC get the Cotton Bowl or Orange Bowl spot.

Gotta imagine the Orange Bowl would want Florida regardless. The Cotton Bowl depends on if the Big 12 Champion makes the playoff, cause if not, they'll go to the Sugar Bowl and the runner up likely goes to the Cotton Bowl.

Funny enough, the two conferences with more bowl-eligible teams than bids are CUSA and MAC, the two worst FBS conferences. Both have eight bowl eligible teams and only five direct tie-ins.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:35 pm

A chance to pack BOA stadium twice for an App game in three years would be a phenomenal way to shut up all those “App’s in a tiny market” bs and prove we own Charlotte.

It’d go a long way for our resume.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:37 pm

hotrod2001 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:35 pm
A chance to pack BOA stadium twice for an App game in three years would be a phenomenal way to shut up all those “App’s in a tiny market” bs and prove we own Charlotte.

The Charlotte message boards will be fun to read if this comes to fruition. I can't imagine C-USA fans would be happy, in general, about this either as it would surpass all of their tie-ins.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:44 pm

wncapp78 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:05 pm
I mean that was the logic all along. Louisiana v. Louisiana Tech makes too much sense for NOLA to ignore. App to Belk makes too much sense for people to ignore. The stadium would be full for television, uptown would be full of fans of both teams in the days leading up to the game, and the Bowl Payout would improve substantially for all schools in the Sun Belt. Dropping Arizona would help immensely as well because the conference has to subsidize whoever is chosen. As I stated previously, it makes no sense for the Sun Belt to not pursue the change if Belk is receptive because of the payout and exposure.

I was told to "embrace the suck" a few times because App lost to GS but as I said, it's not about not recognizing what was lost on Halloween but rather what was still to gain. There would be no going back in time for the 2019 team to get the reward of a type of Bowl Game we all here feel that they get. They deserve the chance to put up or shut up against a quality ACC team.

Furthmore, for the guys who committed here in 2015 and went through the OT games at Penn State and Tennessee, losses to Clemson and UGA, what better way to go out than playing a game in front of a 65,000 strong crowd in Bank of America Stadium? Everyone wanted to crown the 2005 to 2009 groups as revolutionary, which they were, but this class has the same chance to join that group.

May sound like I'm being hyperbolic about the importance of this game but it really would be ground breaking for App and for the Sun Belt in general.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:45 pm

delete
Last edited by T-Dog on Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:47 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:45 pm
If App gets into the Belk Bowl because there's one SEC teams too few, they need to make the below pic into a statue in the new KBS plaza.

Why? This hurt us. An Ole Miss win would have kept both teams home at 5-7

PennywiseEsquire

Unread post by PennywiseEsquire » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:48 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:28 pm
5 years in the FBS and folks are talking about App playing an ACC team in a pretty well know Bowl game. Hope the guys can focus thru this a get the win on Saturday. This has already been a record breaking season. A win on Saturday would make us the first FBS team in NC to have a 12 win season. Enjoy the moment Mountaineers and get everyone you can to the Rock on Saturday.
I had no idea that there had never been a 12 win FBS team out of NC.
Hi Hi Yikas

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:52 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:37 pm
hotrod2001 wrote:

The Charlotte message boards will be fun to read if this comes to fruition. I can't imagine C-USA fans would be happy, in general, about this either as it would surpass all of their tie-ins.
They should happy that they’re at least bowl eligible for once. Win a few and then they can complain. If we
end up getting called up to a non-conference tie-in bowl it’s because we’ve earned it.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:10 pm

hotrod2001 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:52 pm
ericsaid wrote:
hotrod2001 wrote:

They should happy that they’re at least bowl eligible for once. Win a few and then they can complain. If we
end up getting called up to a non-conference tie-in bowl it’s because we’ve earned it.
All very true. However I think this speaks well to the fan turnout App had in Montgomery as well as how fans turned out to USC and UNC.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:14 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:10 pm
hotrod2001 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
hotrod2001 wrote:

All very true. However I think this speaks well to the fan turnout App had in Montgomery as well as how fans turned out to USC and UNC.
I’ve said all along this program and fan base is contingency-based on stepping up.

If we have the opportunity to play at
a higher level or a grander stage, our fans will answer the call and prove we can bring the house. That was apparent in Columbia this year where we were louder than the USC fans.

Just give us the opportunity and we’ll prove we belong.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:19 pm

hotrod2001 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:14 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:10 pm
hotrod2001 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
hotrod2001 wrote:

I’ve said all along this program and fan base is contingency-based on stepping up.

If we have the opportunity to play at
a higher level or a grander stage, our fans will answer the call and prove we can bring the house. That was apparent in Columbia this year where we were louder than the USC fans.

Just give us the opportunity and we’ll prove we belong.
Would've been nice if this news was circulating over the weekend though. I feel Drink can focus the team enough this weekend but it could've stimulated ticket sales for Saturday.

A post season survey really needs to be sent out after the season asking what prevents people from attending games more often. I understand Saturday is short notice and all and the game is at noon but I feel that 20,000 people getting up the mountain shouldn't be that difficult.

Part of the reason I'd like seeing App in the AAC is what a rivalry with ECU could do. If that game was scheduled for Rivalry Week and it had conference championship implications on the line, there would be 29,000 people there.

wncapp78

Unread post by wncapp78 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:39 pm

Here’s the article from the Lafayette newspaper

https://www.theadvertiser.com/story/spo ... 335385002/

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:50 pm

ASU2012 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:07 pm
Oh and Boise have to lose as well ^^^
Boise is not that good this year, who knows. Also, we have to consider that the CFP committee reevaluate things each week--with our stud WR going down and a few less than stellar performances, maybe the committee was waiting to see if we can string two big wins together. If we pound ULL and Boise looks like they have all year, we will pass them. If Cinci beats Memphis in a dud game where both teams look like they have at times this year, maybe we pass them too. Who knows? Let's just win baby!
The Appalachian State

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”