Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Drinks post game

Mjohn1988
School: Appalachian State

Drinks post game

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:31 pm

We’ll Drink didn’t help out much in his post game press conference. First he put the rumors to bed and then he woke them up. But my biggest question is what’s up with the diet Dr Pepper? Is it some type of message? I just really don’t know what to make of it.

kornegaylw

Re: Drinks post game

Unread post by kornegaylw » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:56 pm

If Scott Frost cant get it done at Nebraska what makes Drink think he can turn around Arkansas?

That's absolutely not a shot at Drink. He has the goods. But that runaway train in Fayettville isnt gonna stop anytime soon. Yes the money will be good but they gave Chad Morris less than 2 years. This is the worst P5 job in the country.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:59 pm

To me it’s not about whether or not he can get it done. But will they give him the time to get it done. They are an impatient lot down there and I would hate for him to move his family back home only to be booted out two years later because he couldn’t beat Alabama or LSU.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:09 pm

I have my own feelings on this but I don’t want to speculate. Feel free to interpret this how you will.

YNWA

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:14 pm

Sorry to all, I wasn’t trying to start another, is Drink leaving thread. I really wanted to know if anybody had any insight into the choice of Drink”s drink.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:15 pm

He sounds to me like a guy that has his priorities in order. Faith, Family, Football.

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:16 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:09 pm
I have my own feelings on this but I don’t want to speculate. Feel free to interpret this how you will.

Cant blame him for taking the money if that's the case.

His answer makes me wonder what kind of desperate, crazy offers they are throwing around.

I can only imagine what things Chad Morris is spreading through the coaches circles.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:24 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:14 pm
Sorry to all, I wasn’t trying to start another, is Drink leaving thread. I really wanted to know if anybody had any insight into the choice of Drink”s drink.
Could have been due to the CFP being sponsored by Diet Dr Pepper.

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:27 pm

ah59396 wrote:

Thinking he gone?

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:29 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:24 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:14 pm
Could have been due to the CFP being sponsored by Diet Dr Pepper.
I was looking for something a little more fun but that’s probably it.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:39 pm

(per WSJ) based on things he said after those quotes:

Drinkwitz turned down interview requests from both a Power Five and and Group of Five school recently, a source says. There’s also the fact that a plane associated with Arkansas athletics landed in North Wilkesboro on Nov. 30. When asked whether Drinkwitz or his representation had heard from Arkansas, Drinkwitz couldn’t confirm.

“I haven’t checked my phones yet but we’ll see,” Drinkwitz said. “I mean, I don’t know.”

That said, Drinkwitz said he was also hopeful to remain in Boone. Drinkwitz's contract with App State runs through 2023. He said he was hopeful to start conversations about sustaining success at Appalachian with athletics director Doug Gillin.

“I know with Doug and our chancellor (Sheri Everts) are doing everything they can to establish this program as a premier Group of FIve program,” Drinkwitz said. “Their investment in that is what this place needs and what we’re all about.”

Gillin, via text, said that’s certainly on athletics’ agenda.

“We’re obviously proud of what Eli and the team has accomplished,” Gillin said. “We look forward to having those conversations in the near future.”

--

To me I'm sure he's gotten some phone calls from bigger teams. One side says he's pretty happy in Boone, and anyone who has spent say...four years there knows that the environment surrounding that town is second to none. But you'd be foolish to think he wouldn't entertain opportunities at bigger names if they came up to it.

With me and my zero sense of insight other than a SiriusXM subscription and a username on here, he's looking at two choices: The first is that he's currently sitting at the helm of the next Boise State (I think it's pretty safe to say that now seeing we are literally ranked right next to them in multiple polls and on-field performance) and with that, if he decides he wants to be here for the long term, the Mountaineers from here onward can be "The House that Drink Built" whether that means we are a perennial Top 25 team, a perennial SBC championship contendor, or if we get invited up to the AAC like a lot of us hope one day happens, he would be at the helm of one of the greatest FCS-to-FBS transition stories and truly make App State a household name across this country.

Or he could go and take the HC position at a dumpster fire P5 program like Arkansas and not only have to deal with a team whose fanbase is going to have some major unrealistic expectations, but will also have to take on LSU, Alabama, A&M, Auburn and the Mississippi Schools every year. Not saying he couldn't turn the Razorbacks around, but his path to a conference championship and a bowl bid goes through Olympus Mons-sized hurdles. And he's going to have to decide if a major pay raise for a job at doormat of the most powerful division of the NCAA is a better fit than being the architect of a young, yet storied program which has still not reached its ceiling.

So I don't know. If what I hear on the Paul Finebaum show is any evidence, it would take a LOT for me to willingly have to deal with an SEC school's fanbase. Those people make Earnhardt fans look like opera fans.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:06 am

ah59396 wrote:

Satterfield used to say the same thing. "I owe it to my family to hear them out". It isn't a lie and it doesn't confirm interest you're talking about life changing money, even for someone who already makes a ton of money.

If he said the interest was fake news, great. That's likely true. Then he says he owes it to his family to hear anyone out. That could also be true while not indicating interest. I doubt he would call it fake news in a presser if it were true. I also suspect more information would've leaked by now.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:13 am

ericsaid wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:06 am
ah59396 wrote:

Satterfield used to say the same thing. "I owe it to my family to hear them out". It isn't a lie and it doesn't confirm interest you're talking about life changing money, even for someone who already makes a ton of money.

If he said the interest was fake news, great. That's likely true. Then he says he owes it to his family to hear anyone out. That could also be true while not indicating interest. I doubt he would call it fake news in a presser if it were true. I also suspect more information would've leaked by now.
That "fake news" bit is why I think he interviewed, wanted (and would have gladly taken) the job, but knows (or at least) suspects he is not getting it, and is now trying to convince himself its in his best interest to stick around Boone and build sonething special until an ideal offer comes his way.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:22 am

AppfaninCAALand wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:13 am
ericsaid wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:06 am
ah59396 wrote:

He talked to them on the 30th when they landed in North Wilkesboro prior to going to Boca. I think calling it fake news would be too strong a denial should it turn out to be true. While no one would fault him for skirting the question, that's just blatantly dishonest.

But, I think Arkansas is a tough place because failing within 4 years could aet his career back a decade. Nature of the SEC West beast.

That "fake news" bit is why I think he interviewed, wanted (and would have gladly taken) the job, but knows (or at least) suspects he is not getting it, and is now trying to convince himself its in his best interest to stick around Boone and build sonething special until an ideal offer comes his way.

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:37 am

No answer is an answer..... the fact he tip-toed around it means that he probably has spoken with them. If he hadn't spoken with them he would have said, "No, I have not spoken with them." Having been in law enforcement for 20 years (at the state and local level) I know beating around the bush when I see it.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:59 am

It has been confirmed, not by drink, that he had met with Arkansas’ AD and assistant AD. I was assuming that “hearing” from them as drink was talking about in the Presser was referring to offers from Arkansas

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:11 am

Even if Arkanasas is a dumpster fire it’s a job that will likely garner the next coach $12-$15M over the next 4-5 years. It would take him well over twice that time to earn that much here. No coach at age 36 would turn that down.

I do hope he stays next year I believe he could do something special money can’t buy.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:29 am

Others have said this above, but I think that Drink's answers on this topic are completely honest. The fact that he is happy at App does not preclude him from listening to other opportunities. Only a fool would say no to an opportunity like that without even finding out what is potentially there and evaluating the options.

I think most people have the right perspective on this, but there are always a few who seem to think that anything short of an absolutely confirmation of loyalty to App in combination with him declining any and all interviews represents a lack of commitment or integrity. It does not! He isn't an indentured servant. He has been paid for performing a job which he has done well and will continue to do until he is no longer an employee. We will all be disappointed if/when he leaves but he has to make the choice that is right for him and his family.

Thank you, Coach, for your service and hard work and for delivering on your commitment. I hope our futures together continue to grow even brighter for a while longer but we appreciate you!

AZAppGrad

Unread post by AZAppGrad » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:03 am

There are a few things we can do to help keep a coach like Drink. Buy season tickets, increase our giving to Yosef, attend games and make The Rock the most intimidating place to play, and get more people to donate. I know we have a strong core of committed supporters but we need more. We’ll never compete financially with the P5 schools, but we should be able to raise enough money to pay our coaches more than we do. Loved the effort but our team yesterday. You could tell they were ready to play.

Appgrad91

Unread post by Appgrad91 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:19 am

All of us would say the same thing Drink did. For all of us who work for a living pretty much keep our options open and would at least listen to a job offer. It’s a simple as that. Trying pick his words apart and figure out what he is thinking just gets your BP up. I like Diet Mtn Dew but sometimes a diet Dr. Pepper is a good change of taste 😊

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”