Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Our Next Head Mountaineer

Oldlknapp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Our Next Head Mountaineer

Unread post by Oldlknapp » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:37 am

Clemson hires their last head coach from within. That seems to have worked out pretty well. Jus Sayn....

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:44 am

One of the silver linings is that next year's roster is very strong and will help with the transition of the new coach. If we were hiring after next year, they'd be coming into a situation with almost an entirely new offense.

sappsurapp

Unread post by sappsurapp » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:12 am

So, where have I heard that "it's Fake News" before, Hmm. "not a stepping stone" Hmm. Now, that's a coach with High character and loyalty to his players that got him elevated, ya think?

Apptrain

Unread post by Apptrain » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:38 am

sappsurapp wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:12 am
So, where have I heard that "it's Fake News" before, Hmm. "not a stepping stone" Hmm. Now, that's a coach with High character and loyalty to his players that got him elevated, ya think?
He used us plain and simple. I’m sure he was surprised it went as well as it did but he was always going to jump first reasonable opportunity. He came across a bit arrogant and too good for this gig.

PJ42

Unread post by PJ42 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:45 am

NavyApp wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:26 am
App91 wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:32 pm
Mikebibbyforthreeeee wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:37 pm
Clark needs to be the guy, go look at Twitter literally every player is begging Doug to hire Shawn.
I am high on Clark, but so many times the emotional reaction and hire does not work. Just see Luke, Matt-Ole Miss. DG needs to be cautious. The players guy sometimes ends in disaster
But sometimes it's the slam dunk hire you need; just see Coach O at LSU.
The Coach O hire looks great right now but 2 years ago he was on the hot seat. He was an interim - turned head coach that was thought by some to have been a sentimental hire. Fortunately, the LSU administration was patient despite losing to Saban each year until 2019.
Clark is deserving of the gig and seems the best fit at this time. Will be interesting to know if he interviews well? If he does take the reigns.... incredibly anxious to see the staff that he builds. Hope to see a nice mixture of new and old blood.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:48 am

For perspective sake: App finished 26th in the country this year in total defense. App was 42nd last year.

Chaz

Unread post by Chaz » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:00 am

Like many, I'm also a big fan of Coach Clark and probably wouldn't be upset at all if he were named HC. The players obviously love him, he can recruit, no one would ever question his loyalty, and he would probably be around a while. Those are the reasons I'm seeing (and that I also support) as to why he should be hired as HC. However, I haven't really seen anyone make a solid argument based on his coaching abilities that would indicate he would be a good HC. I'm not saying he wouldn't be by any means, but it seems to me the arguments are basically based on his soft skills so far.

Also, count me in on keeping Coach Roof. Bet you didn't see that coming. I think Drinkwitz actually dictated the flow of the games in the second half when it seemed the offense and defense went into prevent mode.
Last edited by Chaz on Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

mgsouth

Unread post by mgsouth » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:01 am

sappsurapp wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:12 am
Exactly. He has no character. His only loyalty is to him and his. I will always pull for Coach Satt. He gave APP his all both as a player and a coach. He didn't owe us anything else. But Drink is a selfish silver tongued clown. We got scammed plain and simple. Like I said in another thread, I hope he loses every Saturday and is fired in 3 years or less. Then I hope he never even sniffs another HC gig. Now, lets move on and promote Clark!

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:03 am

Chaz wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:00 am
Like many, I'm also a big fan of Coach Clark and probably wouldn't be upset at all if he were named HC. The players obviously love him, he can recruit, no one would ever question his loyalty, and he would probably be around a while. Those are the reasons I'm seeing (and that I also support) as to why he should be hired as HC. However, I haven't really seen anyone make a solid argument based on his coaching abilities that would indicate he would be a good HC. I'm not saying he wouldn't be by any means, but it seems to me the arguments are basically based on his soft skills so far.
I tend to agree with everything you've said. I just want a thorough search that finds the best candidate for Appalachian. If that is Clark, I'll support him 100%. I believe he brings a couple of things to the table that no other external candidate can bring, most notably a desire to be here and being fully ingrained in our culture. Just wanting to be here isn't enough, though. He's got to have all the pieces to continue our winning tradition (which I think he probably has).
Give 'em hell!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:05 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:06 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:18 pm
There are signs it likely will be Clark. I do hope he names Gas as DC. I fear Harbison and Link are gone. If we can at least keep one of the two between Gas and Link I'll be happy.
Source
I'm talking about for the bowl game only for now but I saw Gillin ask a few people what they thought of Clark. Players seem to want him. I want the best person for the job but I am confident Clark can handle it. He wants to be in Boone. He would stay long term. Would anyone else be named interim?

The reactions to this hiring are interesting because the players seemed to not care if he was there or not. They are not heartbroken and it tells me that they felt all along he might go. They are not worried at all.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:07 am

Not questioning the fact that Drink is gone but has App made it official?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:09 am

None of that makes it “likely”. Likely insinuates that he is “the” choice according to sources. He may very well be in the running, and should be.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:14 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:07 am
App won’t make an announcement until after Missouri makes a formal announcement, which may still be a day or two away.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:18 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:07 am
I've actually questioned this myself - I'm pretty sure it's a foregone conclusion, but we've seen no "official" confirmation.
Give 'em hell!

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:23 am

At this point it all needs to be fast and get the interim name quickly and get to work for bowl and commit engagement.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:27 am

AppGrad78 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:48 am
For perspective sake: App finished 26th in the country this year in total defense. App was 42nd last year.
We had more talent this year. 3 big things happened. Gas is real deal, Jolly and Charles improved heavily, and the emergence of Hampton and Gaither as next level studs who led the group helped big time.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:32 am

biggie wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:23 am
At this point it all needs to be fast and get the interim name quickly and get to work for bowl and commit engagement.
Shawn is in the road this morning recruiting. #Clark2020.

John-N-Houston

Unread post by John-N-Houston » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:51 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:44 am
One of the silver linings is that next year's roster is very strong and will help with the transition of the new coach. If we were hiring after next year, they'd be coming into a situation with almost an entirely new offense.
I just hope that Drinkwitz doesn’t pull a “General Sherman” and burn Atlanta on his way out! I don’t remember the source (It could have been SC) but I heard that there was a possibility of Darrynton Evans entering the transfer portal. I would lose all respect for Drinkwitz if he were to raid our players, our coaching staff and OUR recruits!

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:54 am

John-N-Houston wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:51 am
I just hope that Drinkwitz doesn’t pull a “General Sherman” and burn Atlanta on his way out! I don’t remember the source (It could have been SC) but I heard that there was a possibility of Darrynton Evans entering the transfer portal. I would lose all respect for Drinkwitz if he were to raid our players, our coaching staff and OUR recruits!
The only place Evans is transfering to is the nfl.

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:54 am

John-N-Houston wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:51 am
NO need to panic.
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”