Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

App State players are speaking out on Twitter

Mjohn1988
School: Appalachian State

Re: App State players are speaking out on Twitter

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:01 pm

I know social media has made this stuff hard but anyone with an ounce of courage and or class would have talked to the players by now. And Drink May have talked to them. I don’t know.

dp42828

Unread post by dp42828 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:06 pm

I heard team meeting today at 3pm.

Honestly, media and twitter make this a lose/lose situation for Drink and the players. All the data is out there before it's finalized. If it was me, I wouldn't want to give a speech without having a contract signed...I'd also be pissed that it's reported as a done deal...but when someone strokes you a check for $4m, you probably let them dictate the rules to some extent. No perfect world scenarios here...
David
2004 Marketing & Management Grad

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:15 pm

Drink threw out a number that would make it worth leaving, Missouri met the offer. $16M+ over four years, fans and players can’t blame a man for taking that deal.

Now Drink could endow a scholarship as a thank you to the players for giving him this opportunity. Would be a nice gesture.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:18 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:50 pm
Drink better hope the Mizzou BOC approves his contract. Otherwise it's going to be REEEEAAAALLLLY awkward having to come back into the meeting rooms and coach.
this thought crossed my mind. Ethan Joyce reported nothing official at Mizzou until tomorrow evening once their BOG or whatever they call that group confirms the contract.

What if they balk? What happens if he comes crawling back to Boone?

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:19 pm

And to think, after going just 1-0 he was able to increase his salary from $700k to $4M.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:24 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:18 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:50 pm
Drink better hope the Mizzou BOC approves his contract. Otherwise it's going to be REEEEAAAALLLLY awkward having to come back into the meeting rooms and coach.
this thought crossed my mind. Ethan Joyce reported nothing official at Mizzou until tomorrow evening once their BOG or whatever they call that group confirms the contract.

What if they balk? What happens if he comes crawling back to Boone?
I don't know what would happen officially, but it would probably be really hard for Drink to come back and coach the team. It's obvious that many of the players have moved on (though I'm sure some of it last night was born of anger/disappointment), and they won't take him back. I doubt its a situation we'll have to ponder too long, they wouldn't make an offer without already having pretty good verbal agreement from their BOC (I'd hope).
Give 'em hell!

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:25 pm

dp42828 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:06 pm

Honestly, media and twitter make this a lose/lose situation for Drink and the players. All the data is out there before it's finalized. If it was me, I wouldn't want to give a speech without having a contract signed...I'd also be pissed that it's reported as a done deal...but when someone strokes you a check for $4m, you probably let them dictate the rules to some extent. No perfect world scenarios here...
Again Drink May have talked to players, I don’t know. That said with everything that has happened the man owes these guys a conversation about what’s going on.

MountaineerKidd

Unread post by MountaineerKidd » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:26 pm

dp42828 wrote:

Heard the same thing as well team meeting at 3 PM today. Also was told players have not heard anything from Drink.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:32 pm

This isn't a situation like at Memphis where Norvell asked to coach the bowl game. If Drinks contract gets declined at Mizzou, he's not coming back here as head coach. He may be the highest paid athletic department admin in history, but he will not be head coach. The players will not play for him again.

Also, absolutely zero chance Evans transfers with Drink. If Evans is not in Black and gold next year, it's because he's in NFL. Transferring will not raise his stock any more than staying here another year if that's what he's trying to do.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:35 pm

AppKing21 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:40 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:18 pm
MountaineerChemist10 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:32 am
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:27 am
Does anybody know if Drink actually spoke with the players?
No idea but after watching how the players are reacting right now, my guess is he did not. Maybe about them going to NOLA bowl game but not about leaving for Mizzou.
So how are the players reacting today?
The atmosphere will be tense if/when he does speak to them, especially since the players were actively campaigning for his replacement before any official announcement was made from Missouri.
They'd probably tell him to take that poker chip of his and shove it up his ass...

I get the allure of being able to go make 5x your base salary at a bigger institution, but when you spend the last 12 months preaching about buying into an an idea and a culture then of all people you're the one who decides to check out of said idea and culture, I'd be feeling a little slighted/used.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:38 pm

hotrod2001 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:35 pm
AppKing21 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:40 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:18 pm
Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:32 am
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:27 am
Does anybody know if Drink actually spoke with the players?
No idea but after watching how the players are reacting right now, my guess is he did not. Maybe about them going to NOLA bowl game but not about leaving for Mizzou.
So how are the players reacting today?
The atmosphere will be tense if/when he does speak to them, especially since the players were actively campaigning for his replacement before any official announcement was made from Missouri.
They'd probably tell him to take that poker chip of his and shove it up his ass...

I get the allure of being able to go make 5x your base salary at a bigger institution, but when you spend the last 12 months preaching about buying into an an idea and then of all people you're the one who decides to check out, I'd be feeling a little slighted/used.
How many times can I push the thumbs up button ?

MountaineerChemist10

Unread post by MountaineerChemist10 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:43 pm

dp42828 wrote:

Team meeting today at 3pm eh? Ouch...I'm sure Satterfield's goodbye team went peacefully since he was with us for so long. But Drink's? I'm afraid it's going to be nothing but chaos.

Do you have a source?

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:51 pm

I would assumeShawn Clark will be named interim HC at the meeting

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:52 pm

Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:43 pm
dp42828 wrote:

Team meeting today at 3pm eh? Ouch...I'm sure Satterfield's goodbye team went peacefully since he was with us for so long. But Drink's? I'm afraid it's going to be nothing but chaos.

Do you have a source?
How about can we get some recording equipment in there?

MountaineerKidd

Unread post by MountaineerKidd » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:55 pm

AppfaninCAALand wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:52 pm
dp42828 wrote:

Do you have a source?
I was told by someone in the program

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:56 pm

AppfaninCAALand wrote:
dp42828 wrote:

Do you have a source?
bad idea

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:58 pm

AppfaninCAALand wrote:
dp42828 wrote:

Do you have a source?
Maybe Jollie can lead them all in a rendition of this:

https://youtu.be/nCM7qcRyfKo

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:00 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:55 am
Regarding recruiting: A player we are pursuing decommitted from an AAC program yesterday. I suspect the timing is not coincidental.
Cancel that. Apparently it was coincidental. The athlete just committed to an SEC school.

Chaz

Unread post by Chaz » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:00 pm

I appreciate that the players are showing support for a guy they obviously respect, but it seems like there may be some kind of mutiny if Clark isn't hired. The players can't be allowed to dictate who they'll play for. At the end of the day, their responsibility is to play.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:10 pm

Chaz wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:00 pm
I appreciate that the players are showing support for a guy they obviously respect, but it seems like there may be some kind of mutiny if Clark isn't hired. The players can't be allowed to dictate who they'll play for. At the end of the day, their responsibility is to play.
In theory I agree with you. And you make good points. Do you have someone in mind you think would be better?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”