Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

App State players are speaking out on Twitter

TN05
School: Appalachian State

App State players are speaking out on Twitter

Unread post by TN05 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:37 pm

Take a look at Twitter. Lots of players including Demetrius Taylor, Darrynton Evans, Cam Peoples, Cole Garrison, Malik Williams, Corey Sutton, and Noah Hannon have actively tweeted about Drinkwitz leaving and don't seem too concerned. Many are also actively lobbying to make Shawn Clark the head coach with the hashtag #Clark2020.

I'm not nearly as concerned about the future now. The players are confident in themselves and they seem ready to roll next year. If they're alright, I'm alright.

Mjohn1988

Re: App State players are speaking out on Twitter

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:49 pm

TN05 wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:37 pm
Take a look at Twitter. Lots of players including Demetrius Taylor, Darrynton Evans, Cam Peoples, Cole Garrison, Malik Williams, Corey Sutton, and Noah Hannon have actively tweeted about Drinkwitz leaving and don't seem too concerned. Many are also actively lobbying to make Shawn Clark the head coach with the hashtag #Clark2020.

I'm not nearly as concerned about the future now. The players are confident in themselves and they seem ready to roll next year. If they're alright, I'm alright.
Yeah, just proof that Drink lived this tear on the backs of some really good players. I don’t tweet. Can someone put up some of the comments?

ASU2012

Unread post by ASU2012 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:50 pm

Love it. I was concerned for five minutes before the players shot that down. Let’s move forward and do this together.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:52 pm

Why not give him a shot? It most likely would get the players really fired up about the next couple of weeks and certainly for next season
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:56 pm

It does not appear that drink was well liked. Or even liked at all.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:57 pm

Former players too. Daniel Kilgore, Parker Collins, etc.

AppStateMtneer

Unread post by AppStateMtneer » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:59 pm

I'm betting Clark would start offseason workouts outside earlier (like Satterfield) so we can practice in bad weather and get used to it again (not what Drink did)

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:04 pm

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:07 pm

#CLARK2020
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:19 pm

And here is the best reason - He is from West BY GOD Virginia!!! Mic Drop :D :o :shock:
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:15 pm

I want Shawn Clark hired if he interviews for the job and is determined to be the best man for the job, not because the players want him.

I love the players and what they have done for this program in the classroom, on the field and in the community. But this cannot be an emotional decision. There's too much at stake.

BTK2000

Unread post by BTK2000 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:34 pm

This is probably moose lodge talk but does anyone know of any recruiting impacts? Signing day isn’t all that far off.....

CharleyHustle

Unread post by CharleyHustle » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:37 pm

Imprison Drink Witch.............

FREE ZACH THOMAS!!!!!!!!

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:53 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:15 pm
I want Shawn Clark hired if he interviews for the job and is determined to be the best man for the job, not because the players want him.

I love the players and what they have done for this program in the classroom, on the field and in the community. But this cannot be an emotional decision. There's too much at stake.
Don’t disagree, but what about this scenario:
A confident, almost cocky guy comes in, nails the interview much like Drink did, gets the job. DG being a good AD let’s him choose his staff with no input. New guy sees wide support for Clark and staff and feels threatened, or uncomfortable with keeping them. Retains no one and hires all new staff. Our players being what they are turn in another solid season and new coach gets new gig after 1 season, bolts and take whole staff with him. Large class graduates leaving little to no guys who have experienced or can maintain the culture we have spent the last 7+ seasons building. Next coach starts from scratch.

My point is on paper, we hired the best candidate this time, but how long can we sustain success at such a high level with new coaches, staff, mantras, schemes, motives, changing every year?
Is there a advantage to hiring the brightest star available that leaves in 1 year vs the solid coach that has the respect of the team, who is invested in the school, program and community who could realistically stay for 4-5 years?

App91

Unread post by App91 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:27 am

The Rock wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:53 pm
T-Dog wrote:

A confident, almost cocky guy comes in, nails the interview much like Drink did, gets the job. DG being a good AD let’s him choose his staff with no input. New guy sees wide support for Clark and staff and feels threatened, or uncomfortable with keeping them. Retains no one and hires all new staff. Our players being what they are turn in another solid season and new coach gets new gig after 1 season, bolts and take whole staff with him. Large class graduates leaving little to no guys who have experienced or can maintain the culture we have spent the last 7+ seasons building. Next coach starts from scratch.

My point is on paper, we hired the best candidate this time, but how long can we sustain success at such a high level with new coaches, staff, mantras, schemes, motives, changing every year?
Is there a advantage to hiring the brightest star available that leaves in 1 year vs the solid coach that has the respect of the team, who is invested in the school, program and community who could realistically stay for 4-5 years?
Really good question to ponder and why DG makes the big bucks. Tough call. Too many times the players call is the wrong one. But a great point. This is why i am glad i dont have to do it

citroknight
School: UCF

Unread post by citroknight » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:26 am

The Rock wrote:
T-Dog wrote:

It's tough to say but at some point, you'll maybe earn enough of a reputation for putting our great coaches that the guys coming through get pickier. Louisville I think has potential long term despite being down at the time. Mizzou can be okay, probably tougher competition than Louisville. But eventually you may become such a highly regarded launching pad that it'll take more than a struggling middle of the road P5 to lure away your head coach.

Temple fans can probably relate to you guys. They've done so well with their last 4 hires that they've all been hired away. These 4 only lasted 2 years, 4 years, 2 years, and 2 weeks (Manny Diaz lol) before a P5 took them away.

citroknight
School: UCF

Unread post by citroknight » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:28 am

Actually forget one before all of those, Al Golden for 5 years before Miami took him.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:46 am

citroknight wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:26 am
The Rock wrote:
T-Dog wrote:

It's tough to say but at some point, you'll maybe earn enough of a reputation for putting our great coaches that the guys coming through get pickier. Louisville I think has potential long term despite being down at the time. Mizzou can be okay, probably tougher competition than Louisville. But eventually you may become such a highly regarded launching pad that it'll take more than a struggling middle of the road P5 to lure away your head coach.

Temple fans can probably relate to you guys. They've done so well with their last 4 hires that they've all been hired away. These 4 only lasted 2 years, 4 years, 2 years, and 2 weeks (Manny Diaz lol) before a P5 took them away.

I actually like this parallel a lot. Drink is our Geoff Collins.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

stafford

Unread post by stafford » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:05 am

There's another Shawn that might be interested. Why is it that some are against Elliott? It surfaced last year when his name was brought up but no one really said why they didn't want him.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:09 am

stafford wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:05 am
There's another Shawn that might be interested. Why is it that some are against Elliott? It surfaced last year when his name was brought up but no one really said why they didn't want him.
IMO Elliott has burned bridges in an effort to get a leg up on App with an in conference foe. Heard about shady recruiting tactics and other stuff. I like his fire and demeanor as an Oline coach, but not as a HC for App. Clark is better all around IMO

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”