Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Doug Gillin?

appgrad95&97
School: Appalachian State

Re: Doug Gillin?

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:28 pm

AppAlum1 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:21 pm
SayYesToTheRock wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:33 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:15 pm
Start dates:

Everts - 2014
Gillin - 2015

She did fine last time.
Exactly.
I'll never understand the sh*t talking of Everts that happens on here and on Twitter.

Under Sheri's watch, we've had some of the most successful years of App football ever, and she's a vocal supporter of all sports.

Charlie Cobb ditched us for Georgia State. Guess which chancellor hired Cobb? (Hint: it wasn't Everts).

I think some people just decided to bash her from day 1 because her name isn't Ken Peacock.
Well that and the time at a game she pronounced appalachian wrong. She might be chancellor but she is no Ken Peacock.
She is no Peacock, that's for sure. She, Dr. Everts, is a better Chancellor. I'll never have a job like that, but I know there is more to the job than running around the students' section with trophies.

SayYesToTheRock

Unread post by SayYesToTheRock » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:36 pm

AppAlum1 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:21 pm
SayYesToTheRock wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:33 pm
I think some people just decided to bash her from day 1 because her name isn't Ken Peacock.
Well that and the time at a game she pronounced appalachian wrong. She might be chancellor but she is no Ken Peacock.
If the fact that she said Appalachian wrong once is the biggest knock on Everts, things are going well in the Chancellor department.

Under her stewardship we've seen tremendous growth.
Even aside from the Gillin hire, under Everts we've got the new College of Health Sciences and nursing program, West Campus Expansion, NEZ project, and App 105 Project, to name a few.

Maybe she's too businesslike for you fellas. But I dare you to argue with her track record.

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:46 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:52 pm
ASUTodd wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:49 pm
And to all you "be thankful for this year. Don't be so grumpy about our bowl team. Don't get mad we didn't make NY6.....". And all that other crap. This is why THIS year was important. Losing an AD and a Coach is a tough row to hoe and could be a program killer. As I said before, you have to strike while the iron is hot. This isnt something we can't overcome, I just pray we have the right Captains guiding this ship for the next few weeks/months.
Speed bump? yep. Program killer? Nope.
I'd say getting a coach wrong is a speed bump.....getting an AD wrong could kill things. Key word being could...... I think the school understands the importance of the football brand and what it has done for the school. Plus, who wouldn't want to be the AD here?

App91

Unread post by App91 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:04 pm

appalum2003 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:19 pm
Due to some, uh, "life situations" I haven't donated to the Yosef Club in over 8 years. But, I donated online today. It was only $50. I can't afford much. I challenge anyone else that hasn't donated in awhile to do the same. Maybe everyone that reads YC already donates regularly. If you don't, now is a better time than any other. We need to show this program that we support them.
Never apologize for what you have contributed, and i appreciate you doing so! I read somewhere that if one-half of the living alumni gave $10 to yosef, we could double the coach's salary. just pretty interesting

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:11 pm

Everts has made several 50-year decisions that had to be made. She also deserves a lot of credit for getting better in her role over time. And there were some rocky waters.

Also, I have no faith in the current UNC Board of Governors to get App a better chancellor.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:26 pm

Her schedule is nuts. She has “handlers” who keep her on track and at the right places at the right time and others reminding her to check in with certain donors, and lobbyists, to stay on the radar about certain pet projects. To me, it seems she has as much on her plate as the president of the USA (not a political statement) when I heard her schedule and the things she did on a daily basis, I am amazed at how much there is to do.

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:32 pm

appalum2003 wrote:
Due to some, uh, "life situations" I haven't donated to the Yosef Club in over 8 years. But, I donated online today. It was only $50. I can't afford much. I challenge anyone else that hasn't donated in awhile to do the same. Maybe everyone that reads YC already donates regularly. If you don't, now is a better time than any other. We need to show this program that we support them.
Thank you! $50 is great!
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

PhillyApp

Unread post by PhillyApp » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:48 pm

The Rock wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:26 pm
Her schedule is nuts. She has “handlers” who keep her on track and at the right places at the right time and others reminding her to check in with certain donors, and lobbyists, to stay on the radar about certain pet projects. To me, it seems she has as much on her plate as the president of the USA (not a political statement) when I heard her schedule and the things she did on a daily basis, I am amazed at how much there is to do.
It’s crazy to keep up with, but I’m pretty sure Peacock had the same entourage. I remember my senior year, he did a “be the chancellor for the day” type deal, where he switched roles with a student for the day. During that, he very much seemed relieved to be out of his duties, as he sat next to me and offered cookies during class, but also relieved to be away from the handlers that directed him where to go all day long. It’s typical for a high-profile role in a large state school.

Having said that, nothing I’ve seen from the current chancellor has been any less “Appalachian” than the previous person who held the role. While there’s definitely been some acclimation to the culture, I believe she'll handle herself and the university with the utmost integrity that comes with the high expectations.
Clark for Prez 2024 💪🏼

roachgone

Unread post by roachgone » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:10 pm

Here’s an idea. We are gonna get 1.7 million $$ buy out money. We can’ compete with power 5 football salaries but surely we can compete with AAC schools in AD salaries. Take some of this 1.7 million and get Gillin competitive with AAC schools. We don’t to lose him. Too much going on to risk losing AD and FB coach together.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:15 pm

I agree. Give DG additional 400k over the the next 4 years so he can keep all the ongoing projects on track. In DG I trust.
Last edited by Appstate88 on Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:16 pm

She’s done a good job fighting for our table scraps from Raleigh, at least from what one can see from afar. She’s not Uncle Ken — no one is — but for someone who the UNC Board of Governors wanted to have in order to put us back at the child’s table, she’s fought for the “University of the Lost Provinces” quite well. Maybe I’m dead wrong, but I think she’s gotten a raw deal from some.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

asu7

Unread post by asu7 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:17 pm

appalum2003 wrote:
If all of our alums did what you did we would be riding high. The amount doesn’t matter what matters is how many give! Thanks for stepping up!

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:47 pm

What about going in a unique direction to replace DG (if he does go) and hire one David Jackson, The former voice of the Mountaineers. Knowing what we know about him, I would think he would be a fundraising machine.
The Appalachian State

asu7

Unread post by asu7 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:49 pm

I have already thought about DJ. I wonder if he would take it?

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:53 pm

asu7 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:49 pm
I don’t know, but I’m going to start seeing who may have a way to contact him and put a bug in his ear.
The Appalachian State

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:49 am

appstatealum wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:53 pm
asu7 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:49 pm
I don’t know, but I’m going to start seeing who may have a way to contact him and put a bug in his ear.
The bug is in his ear. And he is not interested.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:10 am

ASU2012 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:35 pm
Wonder if Gillin is just communicating with Cinci to leverage a raise? Seems like a lateral career movement to me.
Lateral is maybe a little bit of an understatement. Cincy is in the AAC, which lets face it, at least for football, is a sure step up in the public's eye - it just is. They generally average over 30,000 per game for football, a hefty bit more than our average. They average 11 or 12,000 for basketball per game, which I don't even want to compare to our historical averages, and they're located in a major American city with lots of corporate dollars to call on. Yes, they have to compete with the big "state" school up the road in Columbus but at least they have enough large-market media right there in town to garner pretty extensive coverage. Not to mention, they have a well known cross-town rival in Xavier which helps pump up interest. The flip side is they do have over $100 million in athletic debt and although our # is starting to get up there (and I have no idea what that exact number is but the new NEZ facility is certainly adding to that amount), I don't think it's near those levels yet. Nonentheless, Bohn (the outgoing AD) was able to parlay accumulating debt into the AD gig at USC, so no one seemed to notice and now he is a PAC12 AD...living in the sun. I think DG is starting to really get tired of having to "scrape the bucket" for every little thing and claw for every dollar. I think he knows his own abilities and believes he'd much rather try to win over Proctor & Gamble dollars, or Kroger, or Fifth Third, or Macy's, than try to squeak dollars out of individual alumni at a teaching institution, many of whom are already stretched to the bone. He's accomplished so much here, and although I selfishly hope he stays, he'd fall more in the Satterfield category of gratefulness, should he leave, than the Drink category of "don't let it split ya".

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:25 am

appstatealum wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:47 pm
What about going in a unique direction to replace DG (if he does go) and hire one David Jackson, The former voice of the Mountaineers. Knowing what we know about him, I would think he would be a fundraising machine.
I was thinking about that yesterday. He would be a great fundraiser. Is he qualified to do the other stuff. Not a slight to him, just asking. If so, I would definitely gauge the interest.

postalapp90

Unread post by postalapp90 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:59 am

Appstate88 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:15 pm
I agree. Give DG additional 400k over the the next 4 years so he can keep all the ongoing projects on track. In DG I trust.
Gillen's salary this year was around $280000 with a little extra for incentives. He gets a 4% raise each year of his contract. In 2017 Cincinnati AD salary was $577000. Likely over $600000 now. An extra 100k a year doesn't come close to competing with that.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:57 am

I truly miss David Jackson and his association with App State athletics. He was always so very open and kind to me and my wife. I remember one day several years ago when we were going to make a day trip to Boone and I contacted David. He invited us to come by the new facility which we did and he gave us a complete tour - just the two of us. We were very moderate donors at that point in time so he didn't do because of any other reason that he was so proud of all the accomplishments of his university. Unfortunately we haven't been able to make the trip to Boone for several years now but if we did and there was one person I would want to "run into" it would be David.
And a note to David, if you are reading this, the first thing I thought of when NE Guilford beat Western Alamance this year in football (first time in some time :) ) was you.
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”