Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Doug Gillin?

appgrad95&97
School: Appalachian State

Re: Doug Gillin?

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:41 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:50 pm
HighPointApp wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:39 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:23 pm
I wish him all the best, but Shawn Clark seems like a lazy hire. I hope you guys are right about Gillin, but I don't see it.
How so? He has P5 coaching experience and a former player. The current players love him. He’s an avid recruiter. He loves to sandpaper opponents. Did I miss something?
I have no idea if he can put a staff together. I have no idea if he can manage a staff. I don't know if he can run an offense. I don't know what an O-line coach knows about defense. I think these are legitimate questions.
At least I've been consistent.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:12 pm

I'm going to post this again. Its from 2019. Gillin hired Cark and for some reason extended him. I had questions back then about the hire. Clark was handed a top 20 team, and three years later we aren't close to that.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:21 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:12 pm
I'm going to post this again. Its from 2019. Gillin hired Cark and for some reason extended him. I had questions back then about the hire. Clark was handed a top 20 team, and three years later we aren't close to that.
I don't think the team who returned was top 20 but I get your point. He was handed a top 5 G5 team for sure and we are probably more like 20-30 range now. A definite fall back from where we were.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:27 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
I have understand your point but this was going to be a rebuild year no matter how you cut it. We had a lot of veteran leadership to replace. If you were told that by CSC at the first of the year that we would likely be 5-4 through 9 games due to the rebuild, would that have lessened the sting?

There are issues. I consider myself a supporter of Clark, but acknowledge that there are some things that probably need to change within him to become a better head coach. Do I believe that he “could” be the man for the job? Yes. Does he have room for improvement? Most definitely. Is he in over his head? I don’t think so. Is he stubborn? Without question.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:03 pm

We have no money. You guys realize this, right? Saban, Jimbo, those guys aren't coming. Why, because we can't pay them. We could go for flashier hires and like Drink they will leave after a year. That's because we don't have cash. Those seasoned assistants can't overcome the constant turnover at HC because we don't have seasoned assistants. Why not, because we can't afford to pay them. Name the guy that's going to come and stay who has experience and success. Hint - he has a couple more $00's at the end of his name than we can afford. SC is solid. JM wasn't a genius either but after a few years he managed to do pretty special stuff. Give him a normal season or 2 and let's see what he does.

jeez.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:09 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:27 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
I have understand your point but this was going to be a rebuild year no matter how you cut it. We had a lot of veteran leadership to replace. If you were told that by CSC at the first of the year that we would likely be 5-4 through 9 games due to the rebuild, would that have lessened the sting?

There are issues. I consider myself a supporter of Clark, but acknowledge that there are some things that probably need to change within him to become a better head coach. Do I believe that he “could” be the man for the job? Yes. Does he have room for improvement? Most definitely. Is he in over his head? I don’t think so. Is he stubborn? Without question.
It should not have been a total rebuild. It should have been a slight drop off and then by 2024 be back to title contention. I picked us 8-4 at beginning of season because of what you said but no way I thought we are 5-4 now and appearing to end up 6-6 without a bowl. I thought 7-5 worst case but 6-6 or 5-7 is possible now. There is no way we should have had that big of a drop off.

I think Shawn can turn it around but the next 45 days or so are critical to that. He needs to finish strong, get to a bowl, win it, and make some coaching changes. We will see how it goes.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:10 pm

mike87 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:03 pm
We have no money. You guys realize this, right? Saban, Jimbo, those guys aren't coming. Why, because we can't pay them. We could go for flashier hires and like Drink they will leave after a year. That's because we don't have cash. Those seasoned assistants can't overcome the constant turnover at HC because we don't have seasoned assistants. Why not, because we can't afford to pay them. Name the guy that's going to come and stay who has experience and success. Hint - he has a couple more $00's at the end of his name than we can afford. SC is solid. JM wasn't a genius either but after a few years he managed to do pretty special stuff. Give him a normal season or 2 and let's see what he does.

jeez.
There are some people on this board losing their damn minds today.

Totally agree with everything you’re saying.
YNWA

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:12 pm

mike87 wrote:

jeez.
We definitely don't have the money. I think we have some wasted money though as well. Shawn has to make changes but we need to see how it goes. I am all for him getting the full 2023 season to see how it goes. I would only suggest we remove him if he misses a bowl game for 2 straight years. I do wonder what some of our boosters will do if he were to get blown out by 1-2 remaining teams and go 0-3. With our schedule next year I could see 9-3 or 5-7. We will see what happens.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:21 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:

What about this question? Is he too stubborn or too weak to address a more and more obvious issue with the defensive "wing" of his program? Can he put the future/best interests of the App State Football program ahead of personal friendships? Can he make gut-wrenching leadership decisions?
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:43 pm

I think jerry Moore would be the first to tell SC he better change or he will be sitting by the campfire all the time.

GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool

Unread post by GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool » Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:46 pm

It feels a lot like what the Panthers went thru just a few short years ago with the Riverboat.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:46 pm

I recall Jerry feeling the heat in 2004 and responding by changing up offensive philosophy. Three Nattys quickly followed. Maybe Clark should take this page out of Jerry's book.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:52 pm

mike87 wrote:

jeez.
Honestly, why not? Why don't we have more money? We have a committed fanbase, we have very top G5 attendance. Why can't we pay a head coach 2M a year?

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:53 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:52 pm
mike87 wrote:

jeez.
Honestly, why not? Why don't we have more money? We have a committed fanbase, we have very top G5 attendance. Why can't we pay a head coach 2M a year?
Because majority of the committed fan base free loads and doesn't donate. This is the first year ever we've been able to fully fund all scholarships through Yosef Club.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:00 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:09 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:

It should not have been a total rebuild. It should have been a slight drop off and then by 2024 be back to title contention. I picked us 8-4 at beginning of season because of what you said but no way I thought we are 5-4 now and appearing to end up 6-6 without a bowl. I thought 7-5 worst case but 6-6 or 5-7 is possible now. There is no way we should have had that big of a drop off.

I think Shawn can turn it around but the next 45 days or so are critical to that. He needs to finish strong, get to a bowl, win it, and make some coaching changes. We will see how it goes.
So, big IF, but if we wind up winning our last three games (not predicting we will) would you be satisfied at 8-4?

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:00 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:53 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
mike87 wrote:

jeez.
Because majority of the committed fan base free loads and doesn't donate. This is the first year ever we've been able to fully fund all scholarships through Yosef Club.
Are you telling me that we have less money than southern? Ccu? Marshall?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:01 pm

asu66 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:21 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:

What about this question? Is he too stubborn or too weak to address a more and more obvious issue with the defensive "wing" of his program? Can he put the future/best interests of the App State Football program ahead of personal friendships? Can he make gut-wrenching leadership decisions?
I realize that you are going to disagree with this, but the issues with the defense are fixed with talent not coaching. Our secondary is a mess with one position that is killing us right now and there isn’t an easy fix to it.

If you are talking about the current DC, I am curious to know exactly what is your issue with him? The defense, statistically speaking, is on par with the 2021 version that had 3 future NFL caliber players. Personally, I see no justifiable reason part ways with DJ, so enlighten me on what I am not seeing.

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:03 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:01 pm
asu66 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:

I realize that you are going to disagree with this, but the issues with the defense are fixed with talent not coaching. Our secondary is a mess with one position that is killing us right now and there isn’t an easy fix to it.

If you are talking about the current DC, I am curious to know exactly what is your issue with him? The defense, statistically speaking, is on par with the 2021 version that had 3 future NFL caliber players. Personally, I see no justifiable reason part ways with DJ, so enlighten me on what I am not seeing.
Let’s see… WKU, unc, JMU meltdown, 3rd down defense has got to be worse than ever, explosive plays are worse than ever, the stats are inflated by playing 2 bad FCS teams.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:06 pm

yosef69 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:00 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:53 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
mike87 wrote:

jeez.
Are you telling me that we have less money than southern? Ccu? Marshall?
Yes.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:14 pm

yosef69 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:03 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:01 pm
asu66 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:

Let’s see… WKU, unc, JMU meltdown, 3rd down defense has got to be worse than ever, explosive plays are worse than ever, the stats are inflated by playing 2 bad FCS teams.
So you are expecting zero drop off in talent from top to bottom. We have a lot of issues that can be attributed to both misses in recruiting, (only one high school CB signee since 2018 is currently on this roster) and misses on talent due to guys not wanting to sit behind guys that are established starters with multiple years of eligibility left. Haven’t looked up 3rd down defense, but explosive plays are in large part due to poor angles taken by guys that are learning to play the position at the FBS level.That gets cleaned up in time and reps. I understand your frustration, but the coaches are responsible for getting guys in the right spots to make plays. They can’t make the plays for them.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”