Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

LT Conf Future

yosef95
School: Appalachian State

LT Conf Future

Unread post by yosef95 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:57 am

I know this has been discussed, but has anyone heard anything/rumors about App trying to slide to Conf Usa/Aac. Obviously, those conferences would have to have an opening and invite etc. Was looking at some of the teams in both conferences and App has a similar media footprint as App. And App is unique in that Charlotte is actually their alumni/fanbase, which is a bigger market than most of those teams. That and App has a better football name than most of them. Something else to consider is that traveling road teams have a cool desitination Boone trip to the mtns rather than some random town in the middle of nowhere that isnt a tourist attracion

appst89
Site Admin

Re: LT Conf Future

Unread post by appst89 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:13 am

A big NO to CUSA. If the AAC calls, the answer is yes immediately.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:17 am

I think it's universally accepted that nobody here wants to go to C-USA after they snubbed us for those quality programs down at Old Dominion and Charlotte.

AAC is the end game for us. We want the UConn spot.

APP93

Unread post by APP93 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:33 am

There is no reason to change conferences other than an AAC invite, all of the G5 conference are the same, except for the AAC that is a cut above G5 and a cut below P5.

Now, if a new conference was created that had more regional rivals I would be on board with a change, but until then we should lobby for better SB bowl tie-ins and continue to grow the perception of our current league.

APP93

Unread post by APP93 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:34 am

There is no reason to change conferences other than an AAC invite, all of the G5 conference are the same, except for the AAC that is a cut above G5 and a cut below P5.

Now, if a new conference was created that had more regional rivals I would be on board with a change, but until then we should lobby for better SB bowl tie-ins and continue to grow the perception of our current league.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:41 am

Frankly, I’m not holding my breath for an AAC invite. Competitive-wise we are ready but budgetary-wise we have a ways to go. I’m not sure it’s the slam dunk everyone thinks it is.

Capt. Ed

Unread post by Capt. Ed » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:58 am

We should be focused on surviving the next big bang in NCAA divisions and conference re-alignment, not worrying about switching now. Weak and non consequential programs are going to be booted. Hopefully we will continue our athletic and academic success, build attendance, improve our stadium, and raise donations.

We can do all these things right where we are. Sure an AAC invite would be flattering, but realistically it's not going to happen, and, with travel expenses and trying to keep up with the neighbors, we'd go broke.

We need to be in a more regional conference with our true historical peers. Our new coach, Doug Gillin and our Chancellor have the ball in their court. Let's challenge, support and encourage them to make the right moves now that will pay off in the future.
Last edited by Capt. Ed on Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:59 am

I don't think anyone considers it a "slam dunk"; just our best opportunity at the moment.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:25 am

Still don't think there is any way we move to a current conf as it stands. It would take some major realignment and getting into a newly formed conf.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:30 am

APP93 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:34 am

Based on current bowl alignments, it's obvious not all G5 conferences are the same. That may change but I doubt that it changes much, if at all.

The Sun Belt has been performing better of late and that should only improve, but I question what exactly the actual on field performance has to do with bowl tie-ins. C-USA placed Marshall in a game with UCF, FAU with SMU, Louisiana Tech with Miami (Fl.), etc.

The Sun Belt is the only conference without a bowl game against a P5 opponent.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:30 am

biggie wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:25 am
Still don't think there is any way we move to a current conf as it stands. It would take some major realignment and getting into a newly formed conf.
Agree. Really hope it happens. Seemed like there was some increasing public discussion of such an idea a year or two ago, but I haven't heard a peep about it lately.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:31 am

biggie wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:25 am
I am 100% behind forming a new league if we can't get in AAC. If AAC calls I would want in immediately. As long as the next AD wants to go there or if Gillin is here in 5-6 years I think we will be in the AAC.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:32 am

Take C-USA East teams, combined with Sun Belt East teams and you have a new 12 team conference. Do the same for the West. Then create two divisions within each new conference. Would love to see this happen. My proposal for the new conference we'd be in would be...

North Division

App State
Marshall
ODU
UNCC
WKU
MTSU

South Division

Georgia State
Georgia Southern
Coastal Carolina
Troy
FIU
FAU

We could still play Georgia Southern annually like Alabama and Tennessee have a cross division annual game.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:33 am

Take C-USA East teams, combined with Sun Belt East teams and you have a new 12 team conference. Do the same for the West. Then create two divisions within each new conference. Would love to see this happen. My proposal for the new conference we'd be in would be...

North Division

App State
Marshall
ODU
UNCC
WKU
MTSU

South Division

Georgia State
Georgia Southern
Coastal Carolina
Troy
FIU
FAU

We could still play Georgia Southern annually like Alabama and Tennessee have a cross division annual game.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:41 am

FAU is playing SMU.

App is playing UAB.

It is a lateral move with the exception of the bowl tie ins. I was in favor for staying put, but after going 12-1, ranked #20, and getting UAB, the writing is on the wall. We need to get out of the SB.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:43 am

yosef13 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:41 am
FAU is playing SMU.

App is playing UAB.

It is a lateral move with the exception of the bowl tie ins. I was in favor for staying put, but after going 12-1, ranked #20, and getting UAB, the writing is on the wall. We need to get out of the SB.
Easier said than done.

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:46 am

For some reason, and all season long, I've not been able to escape this feeling that DG (and maybe a few prominent boosters) have been working behind the scenes courting the AAC. I've got no information of any sort to back that feeling up but it's lingered after certain comments or interviews rubbed me a certain way...things like that. We really didn't have the $$ at that precise moment to make the jump to the Belt but we did it and the $$, or at least enough of it, came. We'd obviously need more, at an even greater clip, to make the AAC jump (and to compete across the board in the AAC) but I think the right folks could sell the AAC on the Mountaineer brand. If we can show that basketball is on the rise, keep baseball pointed upwards, then I think we could convince enough people that App State is the next brand darling that they should want to buy. If it, it being an invite, were to happen - I don't even question it - AAC it is.

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:56 am

hapapp wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:43 am
yosef13 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:41 am
FAU is playing SMU.

App is playing UAB.

Easier said than done.
Agree, but it should be one of our main goals. I did not think this way until our bowl selection yesterday. We are ranked #20 and our reward is UAB with 4 losses. That is our conference's fault. The SB has serviced its purpose and was the right fit at first, but if we have hopes of being a Boise type program, the SB is not the place to be.

appstategrad2008

Unread post by appstategrad2008 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:58 am

HkyMtneer wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:46 am
For some reason, and all season long, I've not been able to escape this feeling that DG (and maybe a few prominent boosters) have been working behind the scenes courting the AAC. I've got no information of any sort to back that feeling up but it's lingered after certain comments or interviews rubbed me a certain way...things like that. We really didn't have the $$ at that precise moment to make the jump to the Belt but we did it and the $$, or at least enough of it, came. We'd obviously need more, at an even greater clip, to make the AAC jump (and to compete across the board in the AAC) but I think the right folks could sell the AAC on the Mountaineer brand. If we can show that basketball is on the rise, keep baseball pointed upwards, then I think we could convince enough people that App State is the next brand darling that they should want to buy. If it, it being an invite, were to happen - I don't even question it - AAC it is.
You touched on one aspect I was thinking about as far as the $$$ required to compete in the AAC. Simply by virtue of being in the AAC, our funds will go up significantly. Better cut as far as TV contracts, bowl tie-ins, etc. That alone bumps up our financial profile.

asu7

Unread post by asu7 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:00 pm

The bowl contracts is the only reason cusa is better at this time and those are going to change next year. Cusa is not better aac is though. I don’t think we are ready aac just yet. Cusa will be a downgrade after this year.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”