Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Who stays, who goes?

t4pizza
School: Appalachian State

Re: Who stays, who goes?

Unread post by t4pizza » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:41 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:49 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:38 am
Jeez, some folks really do just LOOK for reasons to complain. Obviously, Coach Clark sees something he likes in Peterson and he definitely has a ton of experience. I couldn't care less what he did at ECU during their dumpster fire years. The problems at ECU went FAR beyond anything a coordinator could fix. In his various roles, he has excelled in both the passing game and the running game. That shows versatility which is exactly what we need. He is going to have no problem adapting to the App offense and I have no problem with him tweaking a few things here and there. Shawn Clark will oversee the integrity of the transition and the fit of the schemes. I trust him so I'm fine with this hire. Welcome to God's Country, Coach Peterson!
Exactly. Do some of you complainer guys actually comprehend the salary limitations for our staff? Who do you think we can get for $100k-$200k? We are a legit top program and officially a stepping stone. This is how it’s going to be.
I agree with you that we are a stepping stone and we did finish in the top 20 this year. However, that doesn't mean we are a top 20 program, continue that trend for 5-10 years and I am on board with that description. If the rest of the college football world really believed we were a top 20 program than we would have seen bigger name hires because they would take less money for a year or two to get their name back associated with winning for a big program. Instead, I think we are a really, really great G5 program (top 2-3 in the country) that can play with and beat nearly any team on any given Saturday but that doesn't really make us a top 20 program. If it did, we would get top 20 recruits and more top 20 coaches. Roof came here for 100k last year (most likely because he believed in the head coach), I haven't looked at his past pay but based solely on the schools I would guess that was a large decrease in his pay. We would see more of those type of hires if the coaches out there really believed that we are a top 20 program. I am not trying to quibble here with you, I just don't think we are a top 20 program yet and that helps explain our pool of coaching candidates (along with the money). We are what we are and hopefully Coach Clark and his staff will continue to build and make us better so that in time we are a top 20 program.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:56 am

hapapp wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:25 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:20 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:29 am
appwolf wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:44 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:23 pm

His offenses at La Tech averaged 366 and 400 ypp respectively. His ECU offenses avg. 486, 414, and 425. Not sure where your 127 per came from.
That was supposed to be rushing yards per game......my bad (or whatever you youngsters say)....that's 127 RUSHING YARDS PER GAME
I have no doubt that he will mold his style of play calling to our scheme. I don’t foresee a change in our identity. Clark went after guys that were willing to work with what we do. All is well.
I don’t foresee a change either, nor do i want to. But i watched plenty of ECU during Peterson’s time there and that offense was night and day from what we do. I’m not saying i think it’s a dumpster fire of a hire but it’s going to take some serious molding to get him on the same page. It is interesting that this is who Clark landed on after hearing so much about him wanting to hire a guy who could continue on with Satt/Drinkwitz style of offense.
If the only place he coached was ECU then there might cause for concern but he has been a lot of places with different outcomes and apparently styles. In the end, its the HC who determines what the offense looks like.
His last 2 OC jobs he had his play calling duties taken from him. There’s plenty cause for concern. Does that mean it’s a bad hire or Petersen will fail here? No. But all sides need to be examined without black and gold shaded lenses.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:51 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:56 am
hapapp wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
appwolf wrote:

That was supposed to be rushing yards per game......my bad (or whatever you youngsters say)....that's 127 RUSHING YARDS PER GAME
I have no doubt that he will mold his style of play calling to our scheme. I don’t foresee a change in our identity. Clark went after guys that were willing to work with what we do. All is well.
I don’t foresee a change either, nor do i want to. But i watched plenty of ECU during Peterson’s time there and that offense was night and day from what we do. I’m not saying i think it’s a dumpster fire of a hire but it’s going to take some serious molding to get him on the same page. It is interesting that this is who Clark landed on after hearing so much about him wanting to hire a guy who could continue on with Satt/Drinkwitz style of offense.
If the only place he coached was ECU then there might cause for concern but he has been a lot of places with different outcomes and apparently styles. In the end, its the HC who determines what the offense looks like.
His last 2 OC jobs he had his play calling duties taken from him. There’s plenty cause for concern. Does that mean it’s a bad hire or Petersen will fail here? No. But all sides need to be examined without black and gold shaded lenses.
Sure but Holtz is a control freak and the offenses output at EZU went down after Scotty Mo took over the play calling. I agree that you need to look at all possible reasons. The thing about the La Tech stint is that he stayed on for two years after Holtz took over play calling. That tells me that it was more about Holtz than Pertersen. If he was bad, why not fire him?

shortfatoldapp

Unread post by shortfatoldapp » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:00 pm

Whole thing sounds ________________! (Insert your own word for the staff hiring situation)

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:16 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
hapapp wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
appwolf wrote:

Given that this hiring decision has already been made and is not going to change based on message board comments, what exactly is the value of this examination by the fan base? Why do you believe this "needs" to be examined? I'm of the opinion that we fans do not have sufficient information to make that examination and it really provides zero value to the process.

Don't get me wrong. Everybody is entitled to an opinion, but it seems that some believe their opinion is only that....an opinion.

Lowcountry App

Unread post by Lowcountry App » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:21 pm

And the football gods said “let there be angst among the App people.” And there was.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:20 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:51 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
hapapp wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Sure but Holtz is a control freak and the offenses output at EZU went down after Scotty Mo took over the play calling. I agree that you need to look at all possible reasons. The thing about the La Tech stint is that he stayed on for two years after Holtz took over play calling. That tells me that it was more about Holtz than Pertersen. If he was bad, why not fire him?
Because he can coach a QB but not call an offense? That’s not what i am saying but that would be the reason. Every CFB coach is a control freak so i don’t really buy that as an excuse either. And Mo didnt step in after year one, it was year 3 when Mo felt he had to begin dipping his hand in the play calling sauce after a dud of year 2 from Petersen.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:26 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:16 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
hapapp wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Given that this hiring decision has already been made and is not going to change based on message board comments, what exactly is the value of this examination by the fan base? Why do you believe this "needs" to be examined? I'm of the opinion that we fans do not have sufficient information to make that examination and it really provides zero value to the process.

Don't get me wrong. Everybody is entitled to an opinion, but it seems that some believe their opinion is only that....an opinion.
I think you and I have an entirely different concept of what a message board is for. I’m not here to cheerlead and wave Pom Pom’s. I’m here to breakdown pretty much every aspect of our athletic department in areas that interest me. This is an area that interests me. I’m not telling Clark his hire sucks and demanding a new hire. Just breaking down the hire based on knowledge I have and looking to have a conversation based off that knowledge. Again, i haven’t even offered an opinion, simply stating facts that Petersen has been demoted in his last 2 jobs. Something tells me if it wasn’t “one of our own” making the hire there would be other semi-skeptics as well. Anyone remember a fella by the name of Ted Roof? I’m certainly hoping Petersen ends up as good a hire as Roof was, and it’s certainly not out of the question that he will be, i just have been providing info and looking at angles that i haven’t seen any other provide.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:29 pm

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I am sure that SC asked about those stints during his vetting process. If he was satisfied with the answers then that is good enough for me.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:32 pm

He wasn’t demoted. He maintained the title of OC. The only difference is that he didn’t call the plays. You are free to infer what that means in any manner that you want.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:41 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
appwolf wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:23 pm
appwolf wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:38 pm
App has had at least one 1000 yard running back every season (excluding the 2 transition seasons) for the last 20 years. A pass crazy OC is not what we need. A 60-40 run to pass mix is App's signature. That should continue.

Petersen was Scottie Montgomery's (9-26 record) OC at ECU and engineered one of the worst offenses in Pirate history.....averaging an anemic 127 yards per game.....that's a stain you can't outlive.

Unfortunate we can't afford to buy out Shane Montgomery's (JMU) contract.....
His offenses at La Tech averaged 366 and 400 ypp respectively. His ECU offenses avg. 486, 414, and 425. Not sure where your 127 per came from.
I like the O style we employ, but it's mainly about the Jimmys and Joes... ECU didn't have, not about the scheme they ran. We've got and had some danged good talent on our rosters, better than most all our competition, that's why we continue to win. None of us have heard of LSU and Clemson or Ohio State visiting in the off season to learn our offense. Saban hasn't rented out a place in Hound's Ear has he? We've won a lot of football games in February and now December without playing a down.

Drink made millions by keeping most things status quo.
BLACK SATURDAY

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:13 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:29 pm
You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I am sure that SC asked about those stints during his vetting process. If he was satisfied with the answers then that is good enough for me.
What opinion am i sharing? Literally just sharing info about the guys past.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:15 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:32 pm
He wasn’t demoted. He maintained the title of OC. The only difference is that he didn’t call the plays. You are free to infer what that means in any manner that you want.
An OC who had his playcalling duties removed, sounds like a...ah nvm no sense in arguing on the internets.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:53 pm

I don't have an opinion on Peterson, but when I saw App FB on Twitter posting quotes from other people in the football world, I figured it must be in response to negative backlash on here.

They did the same thing with Roof last year and Dale Jones a week or so ago. The suits in the MERAC know how to conduct a charm offensive.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:07 pm

I approve of this message!! Great dude and the fire we missed on the sidelines last year

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:14 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:15 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:32 pm
An OC who had his playcalling duties removed, sounds like a...ah nvm no sense in arguing on the internets.
You are learning.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:37 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:13 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Ok. You are strongly suggesting that he is not a good hire based on the fact we was “demoted”. You are concerned that we will regress because of his so called inabilities. Do you have any evidence to back up your claim as to why he lost play calling duties? Dude has been a coach for almost thirty years and an OC/Co OC at four schools. That doesn’t happen if you don’t know what you are doing. I’m sure that Clark vetted this with those who are in the know. As I said, you are entitled to feel how you wish about this hire. You may prove to be correct. Based off the information that I have been privy too, I can say that I disagree with your concerns.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:45 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:37 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Ok. You are strongly suggesting that he is not a good hire based on the fact we was “demoted”. You are concerned that we will regress because of his so called inabilities. Do you have any evidence to back up your claim as to why he lost play calling duties? Dude has been a coach for almost thirty years and an OC/Co OC at four schools. That doesn’t happen if you don’t know what you are doing. I’m sure that Clark vetted this with those who are in the know. As I said, you are entitled to feel how you wish about this hire. You may prove to be correct. Based off the information that I have been privy too, I can say that I disagree with your concerns.
Not trying to be negative here, but if he was a Joe Brady type OC, he wouldn't have been in a QC position at Mizzou last year. Not saying he cant/wont be successful, but there are a lot of jobs out there he cold have been in if he was a highly coveted commodity.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:14 pm

The Rock wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:45 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:37 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Not trying to be negative here, but if he was a Joe Brady type OC, he wouldn't have been in a QC position at Mizzou last year. Not saying he cant/wont be successful, but there are a lot of jobs out there he cold have been in if he was a highly coveted commodity.
Again. That is a fair point, but without knowledge of the actual reason that was his landing spot, it’s hard to gauge. For instance, Woody went from DC at Tech to an Defensive Analyst last year.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:21 pm

How about that Nic Cardwell hire! Hail Yeah.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”