Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Who stays, who goes?

Stonewall
School: Appalachian State

Re: Who stays, who goes?

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:51 pm

I saw Taylor Lamb at the game. He was Zach’s QB coach in many ways. He might be a fit on staff.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:54 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:51 pm
I saw Taylor Lamb at the game. He was Zach’s QB coach in many ways. He might be a fit on staff.
Assume he would have to finish grad school first though.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:58 pm

No requirement for that to be an assistant coach, or head coach for that matter. He would jump at the right opportunity.

Trock44

Unread post by Trock44 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:55 pm

App91 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:31 pm
ASUchipman wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:17 pm
Roof haters are gonna hate. One of the reasons I see our defense numbers were up this year is because of the offense. Once up, Drink went conservative. Too many three and outs in the second half. Defense was on the field too much. Saturday we scored 35 points in the first half and none in the second. Defense scored our only TD.

https://appstatesports.com/sports/football/stats/2019
This 100%. I do think Roof was the issue early on UNCC and Coastal, but he turned a corner. The last couple games were not on him but on the Offensive Playcaller and HC who went into prevent mode.
The defense had a lot of Player-Only meetings throughout the year. They took the most of accountability and took the defense from bad to great. This hasn’t been talked about enough. It just seemed like there too many blown assignments this year compared to every other year I’ve watched App State Football. We have a ton of NFL Talent to compensate for bad play calling.

So you can either have a biased opinion by looking at the scores and giving all of the credit to Roof, or you can look at the talent on defense and say that we still didn’t do enough for what our defense is capable of by the metrics of the situation.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:01 am

spong wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:18 pm
Has this thread become the defacto coaching thread.

I'm not here advocating for Ted Roof but he is only 55. Isn't his profile kind of similar to Jerry Moore's when he was hired here?

Has anyone discussed Tim Horton as a possibility. I remember reports about him interviewing for the job when Jerry Moore was moved along and reports were he interviewed really well, had a good plan, and probably finished 2nd in the interview process.
He was expected to get an interview last year, but never did. I’m not sure why things cooled on him, but he is well thought of around the college ranks and by our former players/alumni base. I’ve never met him, so I can’t give my assessment.
The Appalachian State

MountaineerChemist10

Unread post by MountaineerChemist10 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:09 am

App91 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:31 pm
ASUchipman wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:17 pm
Roof haters are gonna hate. One of the reasons I see our defense numbers were up this year is because of the offense. Once up, Drink went conservative. Too many three and outs in the second half. Defense was on the field too much. Saturday we scored 35 points in the first half and none in the second. Defense scored our only TD.

https://appstatesports.com/sports/football/stats/2019
This 100%. I do think Roof was the issue early on UNCC and Coastal, but he turned a corner. The last couple games were not on him but on the Offensive Playcaller and HC who went into prevent mode.
They were discussing this on Mountaineer Talk after the UNC/App game. After allowing Charlotte score so many flipping points on us, Roof decided to try calling plays from the booth instead of on the field. HUGE difference.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:13 am

I'm guessing we get a better sense of who goes and stays this afternoon, once the announcement has been made official and details begin to emerge.

I would question whether Roof would actually want to stay, based on the flak he caught early in the season. He's a lifelong coach, so he must have thick skin, but getting roasted after one game may have soured him a bit (I have no idea, just speculating).
Give 'em hell!

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:42 am

BeauFoster wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:13 am
I'm guessing we get a better sense of who goes and stays this afternoon, once the announcement has been made official and details begin to emerge.

I would question whether Roof would actually want to stay, based on the flak he caught early in the season. He's a lifelong coach, so he must have thick skin, but getting roasted after one game may have soured him a bit (I have no idea, just speculating).
My hope is that Roof has been a good mentor for Gas. I think Gas is our future DC at some point, maybe next year, but having Roof as a mentor and also working with other great D-Coordinators in years past, he should have a well rounded education on what works and what doesn't. I'd be ok with Roof for one more year to coach his son, but after that, he needs to go to clear the way for Gas before we lose him to Louisville or something.

I do think Drink and Link are gone, but others will depend on who Gillen hires as HC and what position coaches Drink goes after that are higher profile names.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:58 am

Just a thought or question, if you are a "name" position coach, do you hitch your wagon to a young, up and coming but unproven, HC? I dont know, but interesting.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:03 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:42 am
BeauFoster wrote:

My hope is that Roof has been a good mentor for Gas. I think Gas is our future DC at some point, maybe next year, but having Roof as a mentor and also working with other great D-Coordinators in years past, he should have a well rounded education on what works and what doesn't. I'd be ok with Roof for one more year to coach his son, but after that, he needs to go to clear the way for Gas before we lose him to Louisville or something.

I do think Drink and Link are gone, but others will depend on who Gillen hires as HC and what position coaches Drink goes after that are higher profile names.
I think this is interesting piece watch. Is Drink going to bring the guys who helped him get this new position and that he has a working relationship with Ala Satterfield. Or will he build a staff with best he buy with the pool of money at his disposal like he did here. Zero idea what we could glean from this information but it will be interesting.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:04 am

I am assuming Link goes with Drink. If he does and we hang on to quite a few others, could we slide Lance Ware over to ST coordinator?

Also, if we end up needing a WR coach, and Watts wants to stay with TEs, I believe former App WR coach Justin Stepp is looking for a job. He was with Chad Morris, who was let go from Arkansas. GO APPS!!

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:05 am

BeauFoster wrote:

I think you are correct about the thick skin - I am absolutely positive he has heard much worse and over a much longer time. I would think the reason he stays is if his son stays - I would assume that since he sat out this year he is free to transfer without penalty.
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:11 am

appstate24 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:04 am
I am assuming Link goes with Drink. If he does and we hang on to quite a few others, could we slide Lance Ware over to ST coordinator?

Also, if we end up needing a WR coach, and Watts wants to stay with TEs, I believe former App WR coach Justin Stepp is looking for a job. He was with Chad Morris, who was let go from Arkansas. GO APPS!!
By all accounts, Ware is an excellent coach. I believe he could fill in several roles. Hope we can get some information soon.
Of course this is all assuming that SC gets the full time job and allows the guys who don't go with drink to stay

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:23 am

I am sure that ICSC has an idea who he wants to get to complete his staff. If he hasn’t done that prep work, then I’m not sure he is the right guy. FYI. I am sure that he has.

Apptrain

Unread post by Apptrain » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:02 pm

CharlotteApp05 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:41 am
Good question, maybe slightly more complicated?

Roof - I wouldn't be surprised if he is offered HC. If he is, he stays. Even as DC, I could see him staying as he is a little older and his son is now at App.

Harbison, Link, Stewart, Riley probably gone

I tend to agree with your stays and would add Lance Ware. The one caveat is if Satt loses someone, he could approach one of these guys and we could lose them to Satt.
Roof very likely would stay a while. Sort of a Jerry Moore type hire in that he is older and already tried the P5 head coach thing without success.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:08 pm

Drink is retaining Misery’s DL, and both Secondary coaches. Means Harbison and Stewart are looking for jobs.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:26 pm

Link is probably gone, as well as S&C coach.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:43 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:08 pm
Drink is retaining Misery’s DL, and both Secondary coaches. Means Harbison and Stewart are looking for jobs.
If Gas takes over DC, Harbison could do all DB’s, Stewart at DL, Smith LB’s. If Roof stays a DC and ILB, Gas as Associate HC and safeties and everyone else keeps their current roles. Best case scenarios with retaining Clark as HC and continuity on defense. If Watts and Riley stay on and we can bring in Lamb, we’d have a lot of consistency on O, too. Most believe Link is gone. I think Riley, Roof and Washington are the big question marks.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:49 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:43 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:08 pm
If Gas takes over DC, Harbison could do all DB’s, Stewart at DL, Smith LB’s. If Roof stays a DC and ILB, Gas as Associate HC and safeties and everyone else keeps their current roles. Best case scenarios with retaining Clark as HC and continuity on defense. If Watts and Riley stay on and we can bring in Lamb, we’d have a lot of consistency on O, too. Most believe Link is gone. I think Riley, Roof and Washington are the big question marks.
I think Stewart did an AMAZING job this year with our DL. Would love to have him back in the fold.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:57 pm

I don’t see how Washington and Riley stay....without promotions.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”