Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Who stays, who goes?

AppNC
School: Appalachian State

Re: Who stays, who goes?

Unread post by AppNC » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:39 pm

The Rock wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:59 pm
great. Whatever. How about a real announcement like Offensive Coordinator, O-line coach, QB coach, LB coach...
I’m guessing as late as it is, we will do spring practice like last year as opposed to how satt did it.
From what I am hearing, the plan is for early spring practice.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:42 pm

AppNC wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:39 pm
The Rock wrote:
great. Whatever. How about a real announcement like Offensive Coordinator, O-line coach, QB coach, LB coach...
I’m guessing as late as it is, we will do spring practice like last year as opposed to how satt did it.
From what I am hearing, the plan is for early spring practice.
Really? The staff better be much more intact than what has been announced. As it is we can really only coach Part of the defense and Receivers (TE's included) based on what has been announced. That and a new S&C coach. Not sure how much of his staff is new, but seems like a lot of things to get straightened out in short order

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:03 pm

The Rock wrote:
I believe we have our LB coaches. We are still awaiting a safeties coach though. I'm pretty sure SC plans on holding spring practice more in line with Satt than Drink.

DoesntEvenGoHere

Unread post by DoesntEvenGoHere » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:21 pm

hapapp wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:03 pm
The Rock wrote:
I believe we have our LB coaches. We are still awaiting a safeties coach though. I'm pretty sure SC plans on holding spring practice more in line with Satt than Drink.
Drink only held spring practice so late to give himself time to install his offense. I would imagine that SC will in the future hold practice in the spring in February but I cannot possibly imagine a scenario where we practice in February this year unless we have a full staff hired and it just hasn't been released yet.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:33 pm

hapapp wrote:
The Rock wrote:
Yes. Dale Jones is ILB and DeBastiani was announced last week as OLB.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:50 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:33 pm
hapapp wrote:
The Rock wrote:
Yes. Dale Jones is ILB and DeBastiani was announced last week as OLB.
Could someone in the know or who claims inside information, please list all the unfilled position/coordinator coaches as well as those which are filled?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:06 am

Need a Safeties Coach - might be a done deal but we will see.

RB coach- probably Ware
QB coach - probably the OC
OL coach - TBD

The rest are filled.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:07 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:06 am

RB coach- probably Ware
OL coach - TBD

The rest are filled.
Ooooookay, so who gets the ST responsibility?
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:08 pm

AppSt94 wrote:

RB coach- probably Ware
OL coach - TBD

The rest are filled.
If all of the tires are a done deal especially with ware,Who was already employed by app, why have they not been announced already? Not saying it’s not the case just curious why the announcement takes so long

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:37 pm

The Rock wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:08 pm
AppSt94 wrote:

RB coach- probably Ware
OL coach - TBD

The rest are filled.
If all of the tires are a done deal especially with ware,Who was already employed by app, why have they not been announced already? Not saying it’s not the case just curious why the announcement takes so long
I used the words might be and probably. What you appear to be incorrectly assuming from that statement is that the decisions have been made, due diligence done and the ink is dry, so why haven’t they told YOU. These are complex negotiations that take time. It isn’t as easy as picking up the phone and asking someone to come and they say yes. There are a lot of factors involved. For instance, and I am just using a fictitious example, but SC may be looking for someone to fill an on field role that has recruiting ties in a needed area. If said candidate can’t check all those boxes, can you still hire that person and make up for it with the next hire. There are some other issues that need to be worked out with some of the candidates. Using my best Forest Gump voice- that’s all I am going to say on that.

Your post seem to suggest that you are getting impatient with the process. Not that I expect to be able to calm your nerves, but it is going fine. By the time Spring Ball rolls around, we will have a full compliment of coaches with their assigned positions. Will it be done tomorrow, next week, two weeks, don’t know. But it will be done. Patience.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:43 pm

I would have to lie to say that I'm not concerned that App hasn't announced a complete football staff by this late January date. In looking back to last season, however, Coach Drink announced the hiring of Anwar Stewart and Garrett Riley on Feb.15th. 2019. As of today's date, Coach Clark is three weeks and two days ahead of last year's coaching talent search. I may still be the most impatient individual in this forum but I learned long ago that rushing to conclusion in about any endeavor is a wrong strategy...and all-too-often a losing proposition.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Boroneer10

Unread post by Boroneer10 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:30 pm

Why would Ware be the Running Back Coach?

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:12 am

It's way more important to get the coaching staff hires "right," as opposed to "fast."

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:37 am

Who was Ware?

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:50 am

mike87 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:37 am
Who was Ware?
Ware is the former HC of Shelby HS. Former App player in the 90's with Clark, Satt and Co. Drink brought him in last year as special asst to HC.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:16 pm

sorry, poor attempt at humor.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:34 pm

I am as anxious as anybody however I do remember a couple of the initial hires by Eli left before the ink dried and he had to repeat the process which raised doubts about his HC judgement skills. That may be part of the reason Shawn is trying to get through the full process before some of these roles/hires are formally announced. Shawn may be using that as a learning experience of how not to handle situation.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:44 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:34 pm
I am as anxious as anybody however I do remember a couple of the initial hires by Eli left before the ink dried and he had to repeat the process which raised doubts about his HC judgement skills. That may be part of the reason Shawn is trying to get through the full process before some of these roles/hires are formally announced. Shawn may be using that as a learning experience of how not to handle situation.
These kind of scenarios have definitely happened. We know for certain Riley was one of them. There have been a couple others as well.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

DoesntEvenGoHere

Unread post by DoesntEvenGoHere » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:40 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:34 pm
How so? By fans or by people whose opinion actually matters in the industry? Cause Drink just got a HUGE pay raise & plucked by an SEC school -- the most elite conference in all of CFB. I don't think they gave any thought about his "judgment skills" based on losing a couple of coaches.

Also...not like he lost coaches to small-time gigs. Let's compare:

Adams was hired as a WR coach and went to a P5 (Washington)
Dorsey was hired as an RB coach and went to the NFL (Bills)
Wyatt was hired as a DL coach went to a P5 (Kansas).

Garrett Riley was supposedly hired/offered as an OC and went to a G5 in the same position (SMU)

Knowing what we know about finances at App State compared to the rest of the college football world (and obviously the NFL)...did we really "lose" them or did they jump at a much better opportunity? Can you blame any of them for leaving under Drinkwitz? Adams was from the west coast & worked at west coast schools. Dorsey was in the NFL and jumped at the opportunity to get back in. Wyatt was at Kansas State and jumped back at the opportunity to get back to P5 ball.

Looks to me like people are questioning Drink because he was reaching for the best staff he could get. When was the last time we hired P5 assistants to take the SAME ROLE (as in, not an OC or DC)? And if you try me on Wyatt....he was a P5 assistant coach 15 out of the last 19 years. The 4 years prior to App State (or Kansas) he spent 3 at SMU & 1 in an off-the-field analyst role at Kansas State.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:33 pm

A lot of experience. The stint at EZU is a little less than exciting

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”