Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Who stays, who goes?

NattyBumppo'sRevenge
School: Appalachian State

Re: Who stays, who goes?

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:53 pm

Wasn't Brown co-defensive coordinators with someone else at one point at App? Maybe Jones and Gas will be co-defensive coordinators, with one game planning and the other gameday calling.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:37 pm

For what it’s worth this is what’s currently listed on our web site

Clark. Head and O line. Yep, listed as O line

Riley. Running backs

Stewart. D line

Washington. Wide receivers

Watts. Tight ends

The most interesting part to me was that Clark is still listed as the O line coach.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:38 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:37 pm

Riley. Running backs

Stewart. D line

Watts. Tight ends

The most interesting part to me was that Clark is still listed as the O line coach.
Clark has said he will not be O line coach. He will help with it, but he is going to hire someone to take over the line. As of now though, he is still the O line coach.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:57 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:38 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:

Riley. Running backs

Stewart. D line

Watts. Tight ends

Clark has said he will not be O line coach. He will help with it, but he is going to hire someone to take over the line. As of now though, he is still the O line coach.
seems like Lance Ware would be a good candidate for that spot. my only concern is available spots and $$. With drink being HC/OC/QB coach, that freed up positions and money.
I don't expect to have a dedicated ST coach, but if clark is HC only, that leaves several positions to fill. I was hoping Riley would be OC/Qb coach, but it seems like that may be in limbo now

DoublySports

Unread post by DoublySports » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:18 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:

Riley. Running backs

Stewart. D line

Watts. Tight ends

Coach Gas as well. Safeties.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:20 pm

DoublySports wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:18 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:

Riley. Running backs

Stewart. D line

Watts. Tight ends

Coach Gas as well. Safeties.
Sorry, I missed him, he’s listed as the safeties coach

DoesntEvenGoHere

Unread post by DoesntEvenGoHere » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:39 pm

Would fully expect Riley to be QB coach when it's released that he is OC, but I can't say for sure that it will happen (QB part, not OC).

Wouldn't put too much stock in what the website says right now, you can trust me on that one. I know it's not 100% correct.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:42 pm

DoesntEvenGoHere wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:39 pm
Would fully expect Riley to be QB coach when it's released that he is OC, but I can't say for sure that it will happen (QB part, not OC).

Wouldn't put too much stock in what the website says right now, you can trust me on that one. I know it's not 100% correct.
When or If? Seems like either position is not a given at this moment.

DoesntEvenGoHere

Unread post by DoesntEvenGoHere » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:36 pm

1. I think Riley will be given OC job based on reports from respectable sources saying it's already done.

These media members can be wrong & have in the past. I just think everything adds up. It was rumored that the bowl game was a tryout of sorts for Riley. We won that game, I won't say it was because we were an offensive juggernaut or anything but he called a pretty good game after a really rough start. A young & up-and-coming coach that was exposed to great offenses in his past. There's plenty of reason to believe he could work. Players love him. I just don't see any reason to not believe Clark not only kept him, but promoted to OC.

2. I think Riley will be given QB position based on history.

Riley worked RB's here, he's worked with WR at ECU, but he's worked with QB's dating back to his GA days. He worked with QB's at Kansas. He worked with QB's at the high school he was coaching at. This is just a gut feeling honestly, but there are some other factors here too. I think your OC is typically your QB coach as well. Riley also worked with QB's at App State prospect camps this past summer.

3. I know for a fact that the website is not up-to-date and currently has incorrect information on it but I cannot dive into details on that right now.

I can't dive into this too much, but while the news isn't getting out to media members, it doesn't mean it's not happening. Things are moving at App State, maybe not as fast as last year, but it's not standstill. Things are happening.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:43 pm

DoesntEvenGoHere wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:36 pm
1. I think Riley will be given OC job based on reports from respectable sources saying it's already done.

These media members can be wrong & have in the past. I just think everything adds up. It was rumored that the bowl game was a tryout of sorts for Riley. We won that game, I won't say it was because we were an offensive juggernaut or anything but he called a pretty good game after a really rough start. A young & up-and-coming coach that was exposed to great offenses in his past. There's plenty of reason to believe he could work. Players love him. I just don't see any reason to not believe Clark not only kept him, but promoted to OC.

2. I think Riley will be given QB position based on history.

Riley worked RB's here, he's worked with WR at ECU, but he's worked with QB's dating back to his GA days. He worked with QB's at Kansas. He worked with QB's at the high school he was coaching at. This is just a gut feeling honestly, but there are some other factors here too. I think your OC is typically your QB coach as well. Riley also worked with QB's at App State prospect camps this past summer.

3. I know for a fact that the website is not up-to-date and currently has incorrect information on it but I cannot dive into details on that right now.

I can't dive into this too much, but while the news isn't getting out to media members, it doesn't mean it's not happening. Things are moving at App State, maybe not as fast as last year, but it's not standstill. Things are happening.
My comment was geared more towards Riley coaching at App next year. If he does, I feel sure he will be OC and probably QBC, but i'm not sure he will be coaching at App next year at this pint

DoesntEvenGoHere

Unread post by DoesntEvenGoHere » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:50 pm

Gotcha, yes, your concern makes a lot more sense now. I don't look at it that way but I completely understand & can't confirm that Riley is staying so...I guess we should all be a little concerned about that? It is odd that no one from App has said a word about anything outside of the Nolan Jones hire & the fact that Justin Watts is being retained.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:26 pm

If Riley leaves, that means he doesn’t want to be here, why should we be worried about that? Do date, he hasn’t done anything to blow my socks off. Obviously the pedigree and potential are there, but if I’m basing everything off of his audition at the Bowl game, I wouldn’t be throwing big money at him to match another school.
The Appalachian State

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:40 am

I think I have come to the conclusion that THE most coveted and most important coach at App is the recruiting coordinator. If we just get the guys to sign, no matter the number of stars they get on the recruiting sites, the staff makes it happen. This is not to slight our head coach or coordinators but it all comes down to the Jimmy's and the Joe's (duh). There was a consensus among us armchair coaches that before the season started this squad should have finished with a great record and that Drink could only screw it up. As long as we have someone to maintain that pipeline we will be successful.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:55 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:40 am
I think I have come to the conclusion that THE most coveted and most important coach at App is the recruiting coordinator. If we just get the guys to sign, no matter the number of stars they get on the recruiting sites, the staff makes it happen. This is not to slight our head coach or coordinators but it all comes down to the Jimmy's and the Joe's (duh). There was a consensus among us armchair coaches that before the season started this squad should have finished with a great record and that Drink could only screw it up. As long as we have someone to maintain that pipeline we will be successful.
Agree partially, but think our player development over the years has had just as equal an impact and coaches that can facilitate the culture at App are equally important, as well.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:01 am

appstatealum wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:26 pm
If Riley leaves, that means he doesn’t want to be here, why should we be worried about that? Do date, he hasn’t done anything to blow my socks off. Obviously the pedigree and potential are there, but if I’m basing everything off of his audition at the Bowl game, I wouldn’t be throwing big money at him to match another school.
Seemed we went for the long ball too often in the game. Had Sutton been playing, the game likely would have played out very differently with more successful long ball plays. Outside of that, I thought the offensive play calling was ok, not great. With experience, I think he has the potential to be really good, though. He also has a head coach now that is very capable of stepping in and applying sandpaper to that ass if he were to fall short. I hope he stays on, but like you, I won't lose much sleep if he leaves, either.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:20 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:01 am
appstatealum wrote:
Seemed we went for the long ball too often in the game. Had Sutton been playing, the game likely would have played out very differently with more successful long ball plays. Outside of that, I thought the offensive play calling was ok, not great. With experience, I think he has the potential to be really good, though. He also has a head coach now that is very capable of stepping in and applying sandpaper to that ass if he were to fall short. I hope he stays on, but like you, I won't lose much sleep if he leaves, either.
I agree with alum that I thought play calling wasn't the best. That said, he was also calling plays from Drink's playbook -- not his. I would imagine his playbook would be more like his brothers. But, as always, I am going to trust Clark to make the right calls.

If Riley doesn't want to be here, there are several qualified candidates that do. Some candidates are "over qualified."
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:55 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:20 am
appstatealum wrote:
I agree with alum that I thought play calling wasn't the best. That said, he was also calling plays from Drink's playbook -- not his. I would imagine his playbook would be more like his brothers. But, as always, I am going to trust Clark to make the right calls.

If Riley doesn't want to be here, there are several qualified candidates that do. Some candidates are "over qualified."
I'm not looking for names, but how would you define "over-qualifed" vs qualified?

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:10 pm

VNova wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:55 am
AppStateNews wrote:
appstatealum wrote:

I'm not looking for names, but how would you define "over-qualifed" vs qualified?
Don’t know, but my guess would be former P5 coordinator or HC looking to get back in the game and sees App as a good way to get his name out there.

Question: Clark said he wants coaches that want to be at App and will stay a while. While I agree with this in theory, does that limit our potential? I think some continuity is a must especially at HC and a lot of positions, would it be a bad thing to get big name coordinatiors in that elevate the program if only for a year or two? Obviously we wouldn’t want completely new philosophies or play books every year, but if Clark ensures we keep schemes fairly consistent would it be better to get really good coordinators in and have to replace them more often than lee qualified guys who will stay 5-6 years?

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:45 pm

The Rock wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:10 pm
VNova wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:55 am
AppStateNews wrote:
appstatealum wrote:

Don’t know, but my guess would be former P5 coordinator or HC looking to get back in the game and sees App as a good way to get his name out there.

Question: Clark said he wants coaches that want to be at App and will stay a while. While I agree with this in theory, does that limit our potential? I think some continuity is a must especially at HC and a lot of positions, would it be a bad thing to get big name coordinatiors in that elevate the program if only for a year or two? Obviously we wouldn’t want completely new philosophies or play books every year, but if Clark ensures we keep schemes fairly consistent would it be better to get really good coordinators in and have to replace them more often than lee qualified guys who will stay 5-6 years?
This is where the continuity of Clark plays a big role that could allow that to happen. 75 teams have a coach that's been there since 2017 or sooner, so turnover of the HC position is about 25 per cycle. If they have zero years as a coordinator for a program like ours (or better), I think we end up keeping any good coordinator for about 3-4 years. If they have some experience and breakout here, I think they're gone in 2. I'd rather we cycle coordinators and show that Clark is the coach to go to in order to develop a career than have a rut with a 5 year coordinator that's stuck in their ways.

Using some Sun Belt coaches as an example: Drink was an OC at Boise & NC State for 4 years before being hired by us. Clark was one for 3 years before becoming AHC under Drink. Anderson and Spavital were coordinators for 6 years. Napier for 3 combined years (1 at ASU before being hired though).

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:20 pm

This was on the football scoop. What were Schoonover’s responsibilities at App State?

Missouri: Tori Schoonover is Missouri’s new director of recruiting operations. Schoonover previously worked at Appalachian State as an administrative assistant and worked with Eli Drinkwitz at Boise State in a variety of roles, including as a recruiting specialist.
Last edited by Appstate88 on Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”