Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Who stays, who goes?

BallantyneApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Who stays, who goes?

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:08 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:25 pm
My understanding is Jones and Gaspo were going to be co-DC. However, when Gaspo's mentor called and was able to offer more $ to be a position coach, he took the opportunity. I believe if it wasn't Woody that called, Gaspo wouldn't have taken it. He's had multiple offers for more pay and stayed. It's just a different situation when your mentor calls.
Damn that seems like the ideal scenario.

AppyVanWinkle

Unread post by AppyVanWinkle » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:26 pm

The Rock wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:44 am
hapapp wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:04 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:56 am
Are these other P5 schools just way overboard with coaching salaries, particularly the ones who are basically .500 schools most every year or is App just really low with what we pay? Where do we rank with a coaching ROI?
It would seem the answer to both is, yes.

Exactly. App’s salary is one of the lower for G5’s especially relative to performance.
The only things most P5s consistently have is $$. Larger payouts due to conference affiliations , bigger media market, and just to be honest, better financial support top to bottom than App has.
Without researching, I cannot even remember a time when Missouri was even relevant. I saw where Drinks salary pool was over $4 million, whereas Apps was just barely over $1 million.
We all need to do better with financial support of App and encourage those we know to donate who aren’t.
There is no excuse for places like ga southern to be able to out-bid us for coaches we are trying to hire from them.
No research necessary to know that Mizzou has been pretty relevant for the majority of the last 15-20 years under Gary Pinkel in both the Big 12 and SEC.... consistently ranked, consistently played in bowl games including some NYD games, won the SEC East twice, etc.

Since Pinkel retired after the 2015 season, they've taken a bit of a step back but still weren't all that bad under Odom. It's not like Drink is inheriting a dumpster fire out there, they went 6-6 last year and went to back-to-back bowl games in the two years prior.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sc ... index.html

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:18 pm

moonshine wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:05 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:55 am
If Missouri played every home game in an empty stadium and got zero alumni money they would probably have more $$ than App with our current situation due to the SEC affiliation, shared bowl and TV revenue. This statement is a little far fetched no doubt but probably not too far from the truth.
It is the truth with SEC programs getting over $40m just from their tv/media deal!

https://247sports.com/Article/SEC-colle ... 140925524/

"For the 2018 fiscal year, the SEC reported total revenue of $627 million, with each of the conference's 14 schools receiving a payout of $43.1 million. The new ESPN/ABC TV contract could increase the annual payout for each school by nearly $20 million per year, according to the SBJ report."
Very sad

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:34 pm

moonshine wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:05 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:55 am
If Missouri played every home game in an empty stadium and got zero alumni money they would probably have more $$ than App with our current situation due to the SEC affiliation, shared bowl and TV revenue. This statement is a little far fetched no doubt but probably not too far from the truth.
It is the truth with SEC programs getting over $40m just from their tv/media deal!

https://247sports.com/Article/SEC-colle ... 140925524/

"For the 2018 fiscal year, the SEC reported total revenue of $627 million, with each of the conference's 14 schools receiving a payout of $43.1 million. The new ESPN/ABC TV contract could increase the annual payout for each school by nearly $20 million per year, according to the SBJ report."
Just imagine what DG could do with an extra $40mil/yr.
Give 'em hell!

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:50 pm

AppyVanWinkle wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:26 pm
The Rock wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:44 am
hapapp wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:04 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Are these other P5 schools just way overboard with coaching salaries, particularly the ones who are basically .500 schools most every year or is App just really low with what we pay? Where do we rank with a coaching ROI?
It would seem the answer to both is, yes.

Exactly. App’s salary is one of the lower for G5’s especially relative to performance.
The only things most P5s consistently have is $$. Larger payouts due to conference affiliations , bigger media market, and just to be honest, better financial support top to bottom than App has.
Without researching, I cannot even remember a time when Missouri was even relevant. I saw where Drinks salary pool was over $4 million, whereas Apps was just barely over $1 million.
We all need to do better with financial support of App and encourage those we know to donate who aren’t.
There is no excuse for places like ga southern to be able to out-bid us for coaches we are trying to hire from them.
No research necessary to know that Mizzou has been pretty relevant for the majority of the last 15-20 years under Gary Pinkel in both the Big 12 and SEC.... consistently ranked, consistently played in bowl games including some NYD games, won the SEC East twice, etc.

Since Pinkel retired after the 2015 season, they've taken a bit of a step back but still weren't all that bad under Odom. It's not like Drink is inheriting a dumpster fire out there, they went 6-6 last year and went to back-to-back bowl games in the two years prior.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sc ... index.html
IIRC, they entered the Big 12 title game ranked #1 or 2 in 2007. Loss to OU cost them a spot in the BCS title game.

Dojan

Unread post by Dojan » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:40 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:44 am
BUTCH1991 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:28 am
Mario Acitelli to Elon.
That will be good experience for his eventual return to the Mountain. :D
His mother and father went to App as well. Looking forward to him coming home.

Boroneer10

Unread post by Boroneer10 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:42 pm

So any progress on finishing this coaching staff?

Woodstovegang

Unread post by Woodstovegang » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:56 pm

Has anyone reported Garrett Riley to SMU as OC?

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:44 pm

Woodstovegang wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:56 pm
Yes

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:57 pm

Boroneer10 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:42 pm
So any progress on finishing this coaching staff?
Everyday.

Woodstovegang

Unread post by Woodstovegang » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:37 pm

The Rock wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:44 pm
Woodstovegang wrote:
Yes
Sorry, posted then saw prior posts. My bad

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:20 pm

Woodstovegang wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:37 pm
The Rock wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:44 pm
Woodstovegang wrote:
Yes
Sorry, posted then saw prior posts. My bad

No worries. Anxious to hear who we have lined up to replace him. Hopefully it will make up for some of the less than exciting announcements thus far

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:31 am

30 page thread (over 100 posts) and we know precious little more than we did the first post other than opinions and wishes. But, it's entertaining and helps get us through the off season. ;)
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

DoesntEvenGoHere

Unread post by DoesntEvenGoHere » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:23 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
I don't think anyone has ever tried to rank coaching ROI. If they did, we would almost have to be #1 in that category based on the simple fact that we're 61-17 in 6 years. I don't think there is another FBS program out there than can say they won more & spent less. I would bet it's not even close, but I don't know if you can actually figure that out (or if anyone that cares really has the time to do that). Someone ping Ethan Joyce or Bret Strelow on this. They could probably find the time to figure that out.

But we definitely underpay coaches. It's a special place obviously. No many FBS coaches out there making $90,000 and that's it...definitely not a lot of coachings out there making $90,000 and winning bowl games on a regular basis (speaking of assistants obviously). I wouldn't go out and say that other schools overpay. If everyone is overpaying, it's not really overpaying. Overpaying because of the norm, the average. Other schools are just jumping in line to keep up. I would imagine App will slowly start doing the same.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:33 pm

We are losing coaches left and right because of money. Our school pays peanuts and for what we do we should be highest paying SBC and top 3-4 among G5 but we aren't even close. Money is the only thing we don't have. Just frustrating seeing this take so long but hopefully Shawn is finding good people who are on the way up. Until we have the big money this is what our off-season will be every year. I don't expect anyone but Clark on this year's staff being here in 5 years from now.

I still expect 10+ wins again next year. Our team is talented enough to win the SBC again and anything less is not acceptable. These new coaches will have a stacked roster and anyone who does not see that and want to be apart of it then fine. I don't care who our staff is as long as they win the SBC. There is no excuse not to with what we have on roster.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:32 am

One thing to consider with our coaching staffs is that with the adding winning comes more practices due to the extended seasons (championship games and bowl games). Do the assistants get any extra pay when the team reaches those added games? We know that our head coach has added incentives but does the $90k guy get a bump for what amounts to an added month of on the field work? I realize it’s a 365 day job but if, say the team is done after 12 games in late November what does the linebackers coach do other than some recruiting? Would he get a longer paid break? I believe this is a huge consideration especially with a successful program like App.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:58 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:32 am
One thing to consider with our coaching staffs is that with the adding winning comes more practices due to the extended seasons (championship games and bowl games). Do the assistants get any extra pay when the team reaches those added games? We know that our head coach has added incentives but does the $90k guy get a bump for what amounts to an added month of on the field work? I realize it’s a 365 day job but if, say the team is done after 12 games in late November what does the linebackers coach do other than some recruiting? Would he get a longer paid break? I believe this is a huge consideration especially with a successful program like App.

Perhaps that is a major reason we are a stepping stone for assistant coaches.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

AppyVanWinkle

Unread post by AppyVanWinkle » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:30 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:33 pm
We are losing coaches left and right because of money. Our school pays peanuts and for what we do we should be highest paying SBC and top 3-4 among G5 but we aren't even close. Money is the only thing we don't have.
Not anymore......FootballScoop says we now have Money.....Trey Money

https://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:59 pm

great. Whatever. How about a real announcement like Offensive Coordinator, O-line coach, QB coach, LB coach...
I’m guessing as late as it is, we will do spring practice like last year as opposed to how satt did it.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:23 pm

AppyVanWinkle wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:30 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:33 pm
We are losing coaches left and right because of money. Our school pays peanuts and for what we do we should be highest paying SBC and top 3-4 among G5 but we aren't even close. Money is the only thing we don't have.
Not anymore......FootballScoop says we now have Money.....Trey Money

https://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/
It is good to see someone new added. I'm wondering how far away Shawn is from finishing this out?
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”