Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Thank you Drink

Mjohn1988
School: Appalachian State

Re: Thank you Drink

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:45 am

You guys saying thanks are very gracious. Your setting a great example. I just can’t get there yet. I’m with a few other folks that think we did more for him than he did for us. You guys may also want to wait a couple of weeks to see how many of our folks he takes with him. You may change you mind.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:48 am

yikas1 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:31 am
Sorry I’m not so gracious. He said earlier in the season that App was not a steppingstone school. It was bull. He gave us one year. There are some things more important than Dollar signs. Honesty and integrity. He’s also teaching young people about loyalty and respect. Or lack there of. Hope Florida and Georgia show him something. It’s not what he did for us is what we did for him.
Perhaps he was being honest. Like many people here, he likely wasn't anticipating a $4 mm windfall to come his way from a school in the SEC East (least). Stepping stone is a relative term as well.

If he leaves the program better than he found it, and doesn't screw with App's current recruiting class and the class from last season, all is well that ends well. But to me, this won't be over until the class signs.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:49 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:36 am
Every single coaching contract should be for a minimum of 4 years which is the length of an athlete's basic scholarship. If a coach decides to break the contract and go to another school he should have to sit a year (just like the athlete) or he can go coach a lower level school the next year. If a school fires the coach prior to the end of the contract then he is free to seek employment just like normal. That would take care of this problem quickly. No buyouts from a prospective employer needed.
The buyouts amaze me. These ADs who have these mega buyouts and a coach gets rewarded for losing is beyond me. If a coach has a 10M buyout and he goes 6-30 in 3 years then he should not get 10M when fired. There does need to be some adjustments made in contracts. If you have a winning coach and you want to fire him for someone you think is better that is one thing but a person should definitely not become set for life when he loses. Muschamp only has a job still at South Carolina because they can't afford to make him set for life. Honestly, he could be destroying their program on purpose if he wants and it won't effect his money. That is just insanely stupid to me.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:50 am

Go watch all the videos the Mizzou twitter account just posted. I understand Drink has a job to do and is excited to go take the helm at an SEC school, but man, that dude looks so delighted to GTFO of Boone and away from App State.

Makes me wonder if he ever really wanted to be here or it was purely just a job for him. I’m not oblivious to that reality, it just really surfaces it in those videos.

Good luck to him. Lets beat UAB.
YNWA

AppNC

Unread post by AppNC » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:53 am

Drink did thank the players yesterday in a meeting stating it was because of them that he was given this opportunity. So even though he might not have thanked us as fans, he thanked the players which means more to me.

CLTneers

Unread post by CLTneers » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:56 am

AppNC wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:53 am
Drink did thank the players yesterday in a meeting stating it was because of them that he was given this opportunity. So even though he might not have thanked us as fans, he thanked the players which means more to me.
He should have thanked Satterfield more lol

Also heard the players went nuts when DG announced Clark as interim (the absolute opposite when drink spoke), they love than man.

#Clark2020

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:57 am

ah59396 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:50 am
Go watch all the videos the Mizzou twitter account just posted. I understand Drink has a job to do and is excited to go take the helm at an SEC school, but man, that dude looks so delighted to GTFO of Boone and away from App State.

Makes me wonder if he ever really wanted to be here or it was purely just a job for him. I’m not oblivious to that reality, it just really surfaces it in those videos.

Um, wouldn't you be delighted to be in a private jet on your way to signing a 16 million dollar contract at the age of 36? Of course he's excited.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:57 am

ericsaid wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:48 am
yikas1 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:31 am
Sorry I’m not so gracious. He said earlier in the season that App was not a steppingstone school. It was bull. He gave us one year. There are some things more important than Dollar signs. Honesty and integrity. He’s also teaching young people about loyalty and respect. Or lack there of. Hope Florida and Georgia show him something. It’s not what he did for us is what we did for him.
Perhaps he was being honest. Like many people here, he likely wasn't anticipating a $4 mm windfall to come his way from a school in the SEC East (least). Stepping stone is a relative term as well.

If he leaves the program better than he found it, and doesn't screw with App's current recruiting class and the class from last season, all is well that ends well. But to me, this won't be over until the class signs.
He definitely was not thinking he would be gone in a year but I am pretty sure he expected just 2-3 years, which was okay. This is why many wanted others to coach because we wanted someone long term. I think Gillin's plan has worked exactly like he hoped for. He got a guy who was a hot name that led us to the year he and most of us imagined. That man raised his own profile and both are now on to making more money.

I think Drink left us better than he found it. Keep this in mind. We should be better next year. If they hire another fast rising young coach like Drink we are likely to be looking for a new head coach again next year. This team could be ranked in the preseason and possibly go undefeated. If they do that, P5 schools will come calling. They get a guy with HC experience and feel like if they can have a top 25 program with 1/4 the resources that they will surely do it with what they have.

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:00 am

I say ..... Don't the let door hit'ya where the good Lord split'ya.... So who wants to coach for the Appalachian State Temp Service? Next man up.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:01 am

I am thankful for the season that we've had and Drink was definitely a major part of that. We're not going to get any mileage out of bad-mouthing him at this point. I'd rather have an ally at an SEC school singing the praises of our program. It's better to have friends than enemies. These kinds of transitions are always awkward for the guy that's leaving...Satt even struggled with it last year.
I thank Drink for his time here and wish him nothing but the best at Mizzou...

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:03 am

yosef13 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:57 am
ah59396 wrote:

Um, wouldn't you be delighted to be in a private jet on your way to signing a 16 million dollar contract at the age of 36? Of course he's excited.
I mean, I literally said I understand Drink is excited. But thanks for the input.
YNWA

mbnc

Unread post by mbnc » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:07 am

Agreed 100%. I understand the vitriol, but I don't agree with it. I'm honestly indifferent to the whole thing; he was only here long enough to make incremental improvements, but he did advance the cause. For me, the emotions are much different than when Satterfield left. Even though I can't blame him either, it hurt a lot more watching a guy skip town when he's a bona fide program builder and a dyed-in-the-wool Mountaineer.

Drink may have fed us a little bit of BS along the way, but most public figures do whether they want to or not. I don't think anybody truly believed he'd be a longtime Mountaineer, but we did expect him to drive the program forward. We can debate how much of this season's success owes to the coaches vs. the players, but it's hard to argue with going 12-1 and getting ranked week in and week out for the first time ever. I certainly expected him to walk as soon as the richer and more prestigious schools came calling - the only surprise for me was that it happened during Year 1.

Still, we had a good year with him, and then he did what's best for him and his brood. I'm not going to sit here and act like I wouldn't have done the same thing, even though I'm probably not as motivated by money as a lot of people are. If my career had taken me to five different places since 2010, I would have no hesitation uprooting my family one more time to quintuple my salary, elevate my standing in my profession, and move within driving distance of my childhood home. It's the kind of move that allows you to plant roots and secure your family's future forever. If he's successful at that level and still wants more, he can parlay that into a role at the highest echelons of the profession.

We all had a fun ride this year. Thanks for the memories, Coach.
Last edited by mbnc on Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

BayouApp

Unread post by BayouApp » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:11 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:36 am
Every single coaching contract should be for a minimum of 4 years which is the length of an athlete's basic scholarship. If a coach decides to break the contract and go to another school he should have to sit a year (just like the athlete) or he can go coach a lower level school the next year. If a school fires the coach prior to the end of the contract then he is free to seek employment just like normal. That would take care of this problem quickly. No buyouts from a prospective employer needed.
Wish that could be done. It seems ultimately fair, and takes into consideration the restrictions put on players who are the reason the opportunity for the big coaching bucks even exists.

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:12 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:45 am
You guys saying thanks are very gracious. Your setting a great example. I just can’t get there yet. I’m with a few other folks that think we did more for him than he did for us. You guys may also want to wait a couple of weeks to see how many of our folks he takes with him. You may change you mind.
If he takes Roof with him then this may be a blessing in disguise...

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:15 am

Also, Missouri tweeted this out.

Is that Scott Satterfield?????

YNWA

StorminASU

Unread post by StorminASU » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:21 am

ah59396 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:15 am

Hahaha, the exact discussion we had last year. They used the EXACT same picture we did and didn't even photoshop it as well as we did. At least we added the hat logo

mbnc

Unread post by mbnc » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:24 am

ah59396 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:15 am

Weak Photoshop game is weak.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:25 am

TheAppalachianState wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:35 am
yosef69 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:08 am
He could have st least thanked us for the opportunity to springboard his career. But no, no mention of App from him yet. It's all about him.
Relax buddy lol, it’s college football, they’re not here to appease you
So showing outward gratitude to the university that gives you your first shot as a head coach and a roster that gives you this absurd contract after 11 months is not about appeasing people. maybe he should show a little more gratitude

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:36 am

ah59396 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:03 am
yosef13 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:57 am
ah59396 wrote:

I mean, I literally said I understand Drink is excited. But thanks for the input.
You're welcome and your statement was literally conflicting. :lol:

Just pulling your chain.

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:56 am

Drink came to App and did an excellent job of coaching a very strong team leading them to a 12-1 record and Belt title. I can't blame him for grabbing the golden ring that was offered in the SEC and he truly couldn't comment much about it until the deal was done (confidentiality agreement in place). I hate the one and done but next man up. Next years team will again be a Ferrari (assuming most players stick around) so it will be interesting to see who that next man up will be.

Time to boat race UAB and finish this season right. Get to NO and support these players if you possibly can as they deserve it!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”