Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Thank you Drink

appbio91
School: Appalachian State

Re: Thank you Drink

Unread post by appbio91 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:58 am

yosef13 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:44 am
Thanks Drink! I was at UNC and USC and will reflect on those games and this season forever.

Nobody could have predicted he would be offered this kind of a deal after one season. You have the right to be upset, but we should not judge the man for doing what he feels is best for his family.

Let's keep this thing going! Beat UAB and get a preseason ranking!

Go App!
Is this New Drink?

sfoal308

Unread post by sfoal308 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:05 pm

I have no personal animosity towards Drink. I would never fault someone for leaving for a job that pays 5x what their current job does

That being said, I'm still not convinced he's a good coach. I'm not really concerned with losing him other than the instability that a coaching search brings.

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:06 pm

appbio91 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:58 am
yosef13 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:44 am
Thanks Drink! I was at UNC and USC and will reflect on those games and this season forever.

Nobody could have predicted he would be offered this kind of a deal after one season. You have the right to be upset, but we should not judge the man for doing what he feels is best for his family.

Let's keep this thing going! Beat UAB and get a preseason ranking!

Go App!
Is this New Drink?
No. It's Strong Drink.

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:17 pm

Just watching Drink's introductory presser at Mizzou, and I don't know why, a glutton I guess...but he is literally using the exact same speech he gave less than a year ago in Boone. Exact same phrasing, all the same motto's and sayings. I've already heard "pride, passion, purpose", "we must seize the opportunity of a lifetime within the lifetime of an opportunity", and most importantly he also added that "our stated goal is to win the SUN BELT conference championship with class, integrity, and academic excellence". Needless to say, he quickly had to correct himself after the crowd gasped/laughed. This guy is as rehearsed today as he was when he came to us one year ago. I'm grateful for a 12-1 season, our AMAZING TEAM full of great players, but one thing I'm also grateful for is to have moved on from the elixir he is selling. Bye felicia!
Last edited by HkyMtneer on Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:21 pm

HkyMtneer wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:17 pm
Just watching Drink's introductory presser at Mizzou, and I don't know why, a glutton I guess...but he is literally using the exact same speech he gave less than a year ago in Boone. Exact same phrasing, all the same motto's and sayings. I've already heard "pride, passion, purpose", "we must seize the opportunity of a lifetime within the lifetime of an opportunity", and most importantly he said he is also added that "our stated goal is to win the SUN BELT conference championship with class, integrity, and academic excellence". Needless to say, he quickly had to correct himself after the crowd gasped/laughed. This guy is as rehearsed today as he was when he came to us one year ago. I'm grateful for a 12-1 season, our AMAZING TEAM full of great players, but one thing I'm also grateful for is to have moved on from the elixir he is selling. Bye felicia!
A guy who’s moved around as much as he has shouldn’t have made that gaff.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:24 pm

I have no issue with anyone taking any job that they feel is best for themselves and their family. I was very excited when we hired Drink as I felt we would see some explosive offense that we have all been missing since we first installed the spread oh those many years ago. Now at the end of a great season, I look back and my hope of a consistent exciting offense never really materialized. Every week I would hope that this is the week we put together an entire game, but it never happened. It was always the same thing, complementary football as Drink likes to call it. In other words, get a lead, go conservative and let the defense keep the other team in check. That means we run the ball on such a predictive level and such predictive runs that our backs are easy targets because the box is stacked and everyone knows we won't throw much from that point forward. A lot on here use exotic sports car references but Drink NEVER allowed our offense to live up to its potential. He drove a Ferrari like it was a Ford, and not the GT. Yes, it was still fast and at times it would hit top speed but never for any extending period of time. We could have easily put over 50 on every team we played with the exception of the P5s. He didn't keep the pedal down and frankly I never really saw any of the "offensive genius" that we were supposed to get. Heck, the passing game never even took off the way most of us hoped it would. So I wish Drink the best in his next endeavor but I won't be following him or rooting for him. I will be following and rooting hard for whoever is our next coach. I hope it is someone that realizes that as a G5 school playing in the SunBelt that every game is a beauty pageant and we will need all the style points that we can get in every game we play. The pollsters don't look at our games, only the paper stats and scores. We need those things to pop out and get noticed, and that means high powered scoring offense the entire game. No question we will have the studs to do that next year, we just need a coach that allows them to play that way for the entire game. The last guy didn't, I hope the next guy does.

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:27 pm

HkyMtneer wrote:
Just watching Drink's introductory presser at Mizzou, and I don't know why, a glutton I guess...but he is literally using the exact same speech he gave less than a year ago in Boone. Exact same phrasing, all the same motto's and sayings. I've already heard "pride, passion, purpose", "we must seize the opportunity of a lifetime within the lifetime of an opportunity", and most importantly he also added that "our stated goal is to win the SUN BELT conference championship with class, integrity, and academic excellence". Needless to say, he quickly had to correct himself after the crowd gasped/laughed. This guy is as rehearsed today as he was when he came to us one year ago. I'm grateful for a 12-1 season, our AMAZING TEAM full of great players, but one thing I'm also grateful for is to have moved on from the elixir he is selling. Bye felicia!
The sums it up. Good luck Felicia, but Bye Felicia!

Apptrain

Unread post by Apptrain » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:31 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:24 pm
I have no issue with anyone taking any job that they feel is best for themselves and their family. I was very excited when we hired Drink as I felt we would see some explosive offense that we have all been missing since we first installed the spread oh those many years ago. Now at the end of a great season, I look back and my hope of a consistent exciting offense never really materialized. Every week I would hope that this is the week we put together an entire game, but it never happened. It was always the same thing, complementary football as Drink likes to call it. In other words, get a lead, go conservative and let the defense keep the other team in check. That means we run the ball on such a predictive level and such predictive runs that our backs are easy targets because the box is stacked and everyone knows we won't throw much from that point forward. A lot on here use exotic sports car references but Drink NEVER allowed our offense to live up to its potential. He drove a Ferrari like it was a Ford, and not the GT. Yes, it was still fast and at times it would hit top speed but never for any extending period of time. We could have easily put over 50 on every team we played with the exception of the P5s. He didn't keep the pedal down and frankly I never really saw any of the "offensive genius" that we were supposed to get. Heck, the passing game never even took off the way most of us hoped it would. So I wish Drink the best in his next endeavor but I won't be following him or rooting for him. I will be following and rooting hard for whoever is our next coach. I hope it is someone that realizes that as a G5 school playing in the SunBelt that every game is a beauty pageant and we will need all the style points that we can get in every game we play. The pollsters don't look at our games, only the paper stats and scores. We need those things to pop out and get noticed, and that means high powered scoring offense the entire game. No question we will have the studs to do that next year, we just need a coach that allows them to play that way for the entire game. The last guy didn't, I hope the next guy does.
You nailed it!

Apptrain

Unread post by Apptrain » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:40 pm

I truly believe he was smart enough to see, and was probably advised, that App was the ultimate stepping stone when Satt left. He knew all he had to do was drive it and not wreck it. He and anyone advising him probably did have a strong hunch that 1 good year may be all it would take. So, do others see this and try to use us or do we go with an App man who obviously loves this place?

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:50 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:01 am
I am thankful for the season that we've had and Drink was definitely a major part of that. We're not going to get any mileage out of bad-mouthing him at this point. I'd rather have an ally at an SEC school singing the praises of our program. It's better to have friends than enemies. These kinds of transitions are always awkward for the guy that's leaving...Satt even struggled with it last year.
I thank Drink for his time here and wish him nothing but the best at Mizzou...
He didn't thank App at his presser until he got to the Q&A session and someone asked.

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:52 pm

Apptrain wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:40 pm
I truly believe he was smart enough to see, and was probably advised, that App was the ultimate stepping stone when Satt left. He knew all he had to do was drive it and not wreck it. He and anyone advising him probably did have a strong hunch that 1 good year may be all it would take. So, do others see this and try to use us or do we go with an App man who obviously loves this place?
That's the dilemma. Do we stay internal with Clark or expose ourselves again? This team will be stacked again next year. Clark will not bounce after one year, or maybe even three, but is he as good as other options? The job is more attractive than ever and might attract some really great coaches. We need a higher buyout who ever we hire.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:01 pm

sfoal308 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:05 pm
I have no personal animosity towards Drink. I would never fault someone for leaving for a job that pays 5x what their current job does

That being said, I'm still not convinced he's a good coach. I'm not really concerned with losing him other than the instability that a coaching search brings.
This, and t4pizza's excellent post, are where I'm at on this guy. Thanks for a great season and congrats on setting those little girls up nicely for the future. We'd all do the same.

But I'm glad he's gone. His over-rehearsed act and bad attitude had already gone stale with me and, as excited for the great year as I am, I frankly do not believe this team was as good this year as it could have been with a better coach. I know it sounds wrong to say, but that's how I feel.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:18 pm

yosef13 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:36 am
ah59396 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:03 am
yosef13 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:57 am
ah59396 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:50 am
Go watch all the videos the Mizzou twitter account just posted. I understand Drink has a job to do and is excited to go take the helm at an SEC school, but man, that dude looks so delighted to GTFO of Boone and away from App State.

Makes me wonder if he ever really wanted to be here or it was purely just a job for him. I’m not oblivious to that reality, it just really surfaces it in those videos.

Good luck to him. Lets beat UAB.
Um, wouldn't you be delighted to be in a private jet on your way to signing a 16 million dollar contract at the age of 36? Of course he's excited.
I mean, I literally said I understand Drink is excited. But thanks for the input.
You're welcome and your statement was literally conflicting. :lol:

Just pulling your chain.
Haha no worries. But it could be both! Maybe he’s jacked about being an SEC coach (who wouldn’t) and also didn’t mesh that well with our culture. Who knows? I doubt we ever will.

Life on the mountain isn’t for everyone. And that’s okay.
YNWA

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:20 pm

yosef13 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:52 pm
Apptrain wrote:
That's the dilemma. Do we stay internal with Clark or expose ourselves again? This team will be stacked again next year. Clark will not bounce after one year, or maybe even three, but is he as good as other options? The job is more attractive than ever and might attract some really great coaches. We need a higher buyout who ever we hire.
Buyouts work both ways. We usually set the buyout price for what we could/would be willing to pay if we decided to part ways. Again, gotta have money to spend money.

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:31 pm

JMappfan5 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:20 pm
yosef13 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:52 pm
Apptrain wrote:
Buyouts work both ways. We usually set the buyout price for what we could/would be willing to pay if we decided to part ways. Again, gotta have money to spend money.
Yeah, did not think of the flip side. We've never had to run someone out of town before, or at least in my 42 years. I wonder what the happy median is for App? Likely were DG has it?

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:47 pm

HkyMtneer wrote:
We don't need to bash him. He did what he was expected to do here. I do think he is a solid coach but he is very rehearsed. I did not listen to it but what you said shows me he has a memorized speech and is super calculated. I think he is a good coach but like someone else said my only concern here is instability of coaching search. Drink did a good job but losing him won't set us back one bit. Clark is much more genuine and I think the players will perform even better under him. I expect us to take UAB to the woodshed as long as they truly play with that chip on their shoulder and give that extra that I think Clark can get out of them.

We are just fine. This team is loaded and will be very senior laden next year. Honestly, it is best he left now because our team will be much younger in 2021 so we need to have our staff of 2020 back in 2021.

csbarfield88

Unread post by csbarfield88 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:55 pm

Agreeing with the sentiment on this thread for sure, but I personally won't feel bad for being upset/pissed about the situation. Beyond not being handled well, I think part of the conversation with this scenario is being potentially alienated by your previous players and/or fanbase. I don't blame him for taking the money because as stated already, I'd jump on 4-5x my salary for the same (possibly less) responsibility and expectations. But I would also accept that a lot of people aren't going to be happy with me. People can be mad, and maybe should be to an extent. Roll on boys.

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:00 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:47 pm
HkyMtneer wrote:
We don't need to bash him. He did what he was expected to do here. I do think he is a solid coach but he is very rehearsed. I did not listen to it but what you said shows me he has a memorized speech and is super calculated. I think he is a good coach but like someone else said my only concern here is instability of coaching search. Drink did a good job but losing him won't set us back one bit. Clark is much more genuine and I think the players will perform even better under him. I expect us to take UAB to the woodshed as long as they truly play with that chip on their shoulder and give that extra that I think Clark can get out of them.

We are just fine. This team is loaded and will be very senior laden next year. Honestly, it is best he left now because our team will be much younger in 2021 so we need to have our staff of 2020 back in 2021.
We saw it after Satt left and Ivey coached the bowl game. We'll see it again with Clark.

Coincidentally, Memphis' team is going to be led by their OL/Asst HC against Penn State.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:25 pm

I am reading about what a good coach he is. What exactly did he do? You think Satt, or Shawn, would not have won those P5s? Lets get real. I am very glad we won them but unc is not Penn State and S Carolina is not Georgia, Tenn, Clemson or Michigan. As far as I can see the only thing he really did was put just a little hitch in a great QB. Other than that he put it in neutral and let it coast down hill. If that is all we needed him to do we could have gotten someone much cheaper to sit and watch. As some one earlier said we didn't score like should have or could have. My personal opinion is that he put a governor on a race engine. I wish him no ill will I just don't see him as some great coach. Maybe if he stays somewhere more than 10 minutes he will become one.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:26 pm

Drink, Drank, Drunk
BLACK SATURDAY

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”