Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Thank you Drink

beachneer40
School: Appalachian State

Thank you Drink

Unread post by beachneer40 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:18 am

Obviously you don't want to see this happen, but Drink did exactly what we wanted him to do and took the keys to a Ferrari and drove it fast and hard and didn't crash it. 2 - P5 wins are no joke, for that we should be grateful, another Conference championship and 1 win away from the NY6. Another note to drink is if he works through his entire contract at Mizzou he will make roughly 22 Million..... that is life changing generational wealth that no one should turn down for the sake of their children and their children's children. If you are one of those people blasting him for saying this is a Top 25 job then leaving then you really should look in the mirror and ask yourself would you really not do the same? So to Drink I wish good luck and good fortune, App Nation is grateful. Go App and Yosef forever.

BeauFoster

Re: Thank you Drink

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:28 am

Can't really argue any of your points. I would leave my current job if someone offered me 5x as much for roughly the same responsibility, and would do so after only being at my current company for 17 months. He wasn't always seen as an "Appalachian" guy, but he took us places where we've never been before, and got the P5 monkey off our backs (twice). For that I thank him. After 10:45 today, we can put him behind us and focus on the future. This year has been memorable and I personally think we owe him some gratitude for that, regardless of anything else that happened.
Give 'em hell!

ASU843

Unread post by ASU843 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:43 am

I agree completely and I don't blame him for seizing this opportunity. I wish him all the best! Now we move on to the next chapter!

Gnomeneer

Unread post by Gnomeneer » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:44 am

Agree with the above!

On to New Orleans and UAB.

Tis great to be a MOUNTAINEER!

ASU2012

Unread post by ASU2012 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:50 am

Thank you, Drink! Best of luck moving forward, I think you're going to need it.

Also, you're welcome.

Yosef
Site Admin

Unread post by Yosef » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:50 am

I couldn't agree more. The risk is quite a bit higher, but even if he only lasts 3 years there, he and his family are set for life. He could have had a huge down hill after this year or next and his whole future has a potentially different outcome. Congrats to Drink and while I do feel a bit used, he did his job and he did it damn well, so I have no ill feelings towards him. We would all want to do right by our families.

Also, Missouri is a helluva lot closer to home in Oklahoma than NC is.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:52 am

I don't blame him one bit for taking the money and I hope he is successful - And honestly we all know he wasn't going to be in Boone long so I feel it is much better he left this year instead of next. We will have a lot of very good and experienced players returning. My biggest problem and it isn't relegated to just this situation and that is many people just don't value telling the truth anymore. It just doesn't matter...
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:55 am

Thanks DrinkWWWWWWWWWWWWitz. Good luck. You moved App State one step closer to being known as the The G5 Elite Team of the East. Go Apps! Give to Yosef! #beatUAB
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:08 am

He could have st least thanked us for the opportunity to springboard his career. But no, no mention of App from him yet. It's all about him.

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:12 am

I wouldn’t say he drove it fast and hard but he drove it carefully and did not break it. Any time I have been asked about Coach D by outsiders I have said he has done well and was better than Satterfield at managing late game situations especially against P5’s. He did just enough to win. It’s almost like they had a calculation, lead, time left, time it takes opponents to score. Defense factored more heavily on the calculation. The only time it did not work was against GaSo because we were playing from behind and kept giving up big scoring plays.

Anyway, agree he did what it took to win and even though I not a chess player, he obviously is good at it and I appreciate his staff taking care of our assets.

Good luck!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:16 am

Lots of us do the money comparison. I don't know about the rest of you but I won't ever make even the App base salary he was paid. That being said who wouldn't take 5X their current salary to go to a comparable company, under perform (in the eyes of the new employer), get fired after 1 or 2 years and get basically a 3 or 4 year severance. After receiving the nice severance either cool it for a while and do nothing or go to another comparable company for slightly less money. After a year or so you knock the socks off of the new company, draw the attention of other comparable companies who believe that you are good at what you do but just didn't have the right situation at the place that fired you a year or two into your employment with them and get another nice offer from another larger, better paying company because for some reason it is commonly believed that you are a genius or a guru.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:17 am

He was the leader as coach.....but im not giving him credit for the season. As i've said we will never know if he would have been successful here. He may be successful at Missouri...Financially he is set. We will see in a couple of years. I guess I can give him credit for not screwing it up.

Apptrain

Unread post by Apptrain » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:28 am

I compare this to Barry Switzer winning with Jimmy Johnson’s team. You are welcome, Drink. A donation to App athletics would be a classy thank you.

yikas1

Unread post by yikas1 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:31 am

Sorry I’m not so gracious. He said earlier in the season that App was not a steppingstone school. It was bull. He gave us one year. There are some things more important than Dollar signs. Honesty and integrity. He’s also teaching young people about loyalty and respect. Or lack there of. Hope Florida and Georgia show him something. It’s not what he did for us is what we did for him.

TheAppalachianState

Unread post by TheAppalachianState » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:35 am

yosef69 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:08 am
He could have st least thanked us for the opportunity to springboard his career. But no, no mention of App from him yet. It's all about him.
Relax buddy lol, it’s college football, they’re not here to appease you

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:36 am

Every single coaching contract should be for a minimum of 4 years which is the length of an athlete's basic scholarship. If a coach decides to break the contract and go to another school he should have to sit a year (just like the athlete) or he can go coach a lower level school the next year. If a school fires the coach prior to the end of the contract then he is free to seek employment just like normal. That would take care of this problem quickly. No buyouts from a prospective employer needed.

Apple@chin1

Unread post by Apple@chin1 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:37 am

Apptrain wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:28 am
I compare this to Barry Switzer winning with Jimmy Johnson’s team. You are welcome, Drink. A donation to App athletics would be a classy thank you.
That’ll never happen. He only preaches classiness. He won’t live by those words. That’s already been established. I wish him no ill will. But I hope he crashes the Yugo in Misery.

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:38 am

You are welcome.
Attachments
lotto-ticket-27745929.jpg

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:39 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:52 am
I don't blame him one bit for taking the money and I hope he is successful - And honestly we all know he wasn't going to be in Boone long so I feel it is much better he left this year instead of next. We will have a lot of very good and experienced players returning. My biggest problem and it isn't relegated to just this situation and that is many people just don't value telling the truth anymore. It just doesn't matter...
I appreciate what he did and I know we will win after he is gone just like we won before it. He did a very good job and I appreciate him for what it is. The sky is not falling after he left.

You can't blame him for taking the money or saying what he said. We all would do the same thing. What is he suppose to say? The media asks those questions knowing it is loaded. He gave the appropriate answer for that time. He was telling the truth we are a top 25 job but this is not top 25 money. We are not even a top 60 school in terms of money. We must bring in more revenue so we can pay more money or we will be a revolving door job.

Missouri is taking a chance but I'm sure they felt if he could do what he did at App that he could get them in the top 5. Like others said, this roster was stacked. The two things I thought Drink did best was get a very good staff overall and managed games well. Thank you to him for that.

Satt always said don't pick a school because of us coaches but pick it because of the academics, location, teammates, and if it is a place you would be happy as a regular student. Hopefully our recruits look at it that way. A coaching staff can be gone within a year or two for different reasons. They have families and are trying to make as much money as they can.

Now, we just need to get our next coach right. I don't want another one and done coach so that is why people like Shawn Clark need to be considered heavily.

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:44 am

Thanks Drink! I was at UNC and USC and will reflect on those games and this season forever.

Nobody could have predicted he would be offered this kind of a deal after one season. You have the right to be upset, but we should not judge the man for doing what he feels is best for his family.

Let's keep this thing going! Beat UAB and get a preseason ranking!

Go App!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”