Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Article: 5 Teams that got shafted

TheMoody1
School: Appalachian State

Article: 5 Teams that got shafted

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:27 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Re: Article: 5 Teams that got shafted

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:31 am

It will be funny when Boston College beats Cincinnati and SMU loses to FAU.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:30 am

Who do they think Florida should play? They got in the bcs 🙄

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:40 am

I guess this writer doesn't know what bowl tie ins are....

The tie-in process is one of the worst things about the bowl system. Let a ranking system get the top 64 teams and let the bowls pick from those teams who they want. Enough with the elitest tie-ins.

citroknight
School: UCF

Unread post by citroknight » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:49 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:31 am
It can always happen. Outside of being 3-1 in BCS/NY6 bowls, the AAC hasn't been too great during bowl season.

On paper though, SMU has done about the same as UCF did against common opponents we trounced FAU. FAU seems to be rolling but I'm still not sure if they just didn't have stuff together in the early season or if it was easier to rebound during easier CUSA games.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:25 am

citroknight wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:49 am
It can always happen. Outside of being 3-1 in BCS/NY6 bowls, the AAC hasn't been too great during bowl season.

On paper though, SMU has done about the same as UCF did against common opponents we trounced FAU. FAU seems to be rolling but I'm still not sure if they just didn't have stuff together in the early season or if it was easier to rebound during easier CUSA games.
I'd imagine many of the losses are due to teams like SMU and Cincy being disappointed in having to play FAU and 6-6 BC and the team unable to get up for the game and stay focused. A great example is when Toledo and their top 10 offense were disappointed in playing a lowly FCS call up App State and proceeded to get beat down 40-0. App could fall into that trap with UAB but luckily the team will likely rally behind Clark and give him their best performance of the year.

citroknight
School: UCF

Unread post by citroknight » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:56 am

Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:25 am
citroknight wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:49 am

I'd imagine many of the losses are due to teams like SMU and Cincy being disappointed in having to play FAU and 6-6 BC and the team unable to get up for the game and stay focused. A great example is when Toledo and their top 10 offense were disappointed in playing a lowly FCS call up App State and proceeded to get beat down 40-0. App could fall into that trap with UAB but luckily the team will likely rally behind Clark and give him their best performance of the year.
I, like many, thought that would be a good game going in. Nope. You guys blasted Toledo.

Definitely don't want to fall into that trap. If App State finishes 13-1, that's a good chance to start off next year ranked. They always downgrade G5 teams though so if you finish 15-20, that's probably 23-25 to start the year. They may even deduct a few more spots due to a new coach even though it's clear that it's the program, not the coach.

appvette

Unread post by appvette » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:35 am

I don't really think Boise got shafted. I'd be happy to play Louisville in Las Vegas which is a similar situation (former coach at a P5 school)

PennywiseEsquire

Unread post by PennywiseEsquire » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:39 am

I hope every AAC team just gets absolutely smoked in their bowls. I’m tired of the P6 circlejerk.
Hi Hi Yikas

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:47 am

appvette wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:35 am
I don't really think Boise got shafted. I'd be happy to play Louisville in Las Vegas which is a similar situation (former coach at a P5 school)
I'd be exhilarated if we played a 7-5 4th place ACC, SEC, Big 10, Big 12 or Pac 12 team. Not sure how they got shafted either unless they were hoping for a 12-1 1st place Sun Belt team.

9Steelman

Unread post by 9Steelman » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:57 am

Add Notre Dame to the list. 10-2 Ranked #15 playing 7-5 team?????????????

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:00 am

I have mentioned on other threads that in my opinion a tiered bowl system (more than what currently exists) would be much more equitable and frankly more exciting as the season unfolds. They NCAA or bowl committee could rank the bowls by importance/prestige if they wanted to. We already have the top 4 in the 2 top bowls, then the NY6 is next. I believe they have the next tier which includes the Belk and other bowls that have P5 tie ins. If the bowls other than the NY6 were tiered without regard to tie ins an App State for example could climb the ladder so to speak each week during the CFP polls. We could see ourselves move from bowl to bowl on the list. That would be pretty exciting. We debated the crap out of the Cotton and Belk Bowls knowing all along what our fate was. The bowls would be more captivating and hopefully more competitive if the number 21 and number 20 teams got matched up after the season wrapped up. Obviously anything can happen but on paper our game looks like a potential mismatch and a bore. At the end of the day these games outside of the playoff are just exhibitions and rewards for the players. We all like to think that the results will carry over to next year's preseason rankings but they really don't.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”