Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Bowl opponent musings

NeersBy90
School: Appalachian State

Re: Bowl opponent musings

Unread post by NeersBy90 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:58 am

spacemonkey wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:47 pm
We also signed a contract that was in our best interest when we signed it.
Also, not disputing this. I’m aware of what we signed up for but that doesn’t negate the disappointment of having a carrot dangling in front of us, Cotton Bowl or Belk Bowl, only to have the rug pulled out from under us. What we signed up for doesn’t mean we can’t be upset about it not turning out better.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:09 am

NeersBy90 wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:56 am
spacemonkey wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:44 pm
NeersBy90 wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:37 pm
spacemonkey wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:26 pm
Wasn’t long ago that people were whining that we may not get the NOLA bowl as the champion. Whiners gonna whine.
The air must be thin up there... it’s okay to want more, ya know?
It is also OK to control what you can control and do it in style. We have a great showcase for these seniors.
I’m not disputing that, I’m as proud of these seniors as I’ve ever been about a senior class coming through our program, but frankly I’m tired of being told it’s whining or to be happy with Nola and UAB when we were so close to so much more. We could’ve (and I would argue) and should’ve had a better showcase for our seniors. These seniors deserved more in my opinion.
While I agree with you that our players, especially our seniors, deserve more, that opportunity was taken from them when they lost the game to Georgia Southern. Everybody, especially our players, know that the SunBelt has bowl tie ins with 5 bowls and NONE of them include a P5 opponent. The only way that we can have a better bowl game is to get to the Access Bowl and that requires us not getting beat on our home field by a middling G5 team. We all knew that if we didn't get the Access Bowl that the New Orleans Bowl was the BEST we would get but now so may people want to bitch about the process. I just sounds like a bunch of entitle fans that think we deserve better than we contracted for. If we want better, we simply need to play better in every game because I can assure you that if we had not lost that game on Halloween night than we would be in the Cotton Bowl. All our pissing and moaning can't and won't change the fact that we are contractually bound to our conferences bowl tie ins unless we make the Access Bowl. The easy solution is to beat the teams we are supposed to beat, as well as the teams we are not supposed to beat, and we will all be happy with our bowl game.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:38 am

"If we want better, we simply need to play better in every game because I can assure you that if we had not lost that game on Halloween night than we would be in the Cotton Bowl."

Sorry but you are wrong about this - 13-0 and we would be exactly where we are at 12-1. If you have been following all of this you understand that the AAC has been "deemed P6" not only by their own marketing but by many college sports pundits. They have done a great job of marketing their conference --- 12-1 Memphis goes to Cotton Bowl 10 out of 10 times ahead of us ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:55 am

We are 1 week away from NOLA Bowl and a few folks are still sniffling about not getting a Bowl game that we have no tie-ins with...time to put away the tissue and hope the SB can achieve better Bowl opportunities for the future. Let's "sandpaper some ass" next Saturday night!!!

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:59 am

I'm excited to have another bowl Period. BUT I would bet the Sunbelt has agreements in place for other bowl tie ins for the future. Not just for us, any Sunbelt team that may have an opportunity at a P5 bowl opponent.
Beat UAB!

NeersBy90

Unread post by NeersBy90 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:40 am

JMappfan5 wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:55 am
We are 1 week away from NOLA Bowl and a few folks are still sniffling about not getting a Bowl game that we have no tie-ins with...time to put away the tissue and hope the SB can achieve better Bowl opportunities for the future. Let's "sandpaper some ass" next Saturday night!!!
I know you’re not just talking to me but I’m over it, have been for a few days now. I’m just tired of being told how to be a fan and that it’s whining to be upset about where we landed. I agree there’s nothing we can do but go beat the crap out of UAB and I’m completely on board.

Looking forward to seeing “bombs over baghdad” and “sandpapering their a$$!”

Go Neers!!

General Moore

Unread post by General Moore » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:05 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:38 am
"If we want better, we simply need to play better in every game because I can assure you that if we had not lost that game on Halloween night than we would be in the Cotton Bowl."

Sorry but you are wrong about this - 13-0 and we would be exactly where we are at 12-1. If you have been following all of this you understand that the AAC has been "deemed P6" not only by their own marketing but by many college sports pundits. They have done a great job of marketing their conference --- 12-1 Memphis goes to Cotton Bowl 10 out of 10 times ahead of us ---
Lol. No

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:07 am

I’m sure I’m not alone when I say this but damnit I’m tired of hearing about the Georgia Southern game. I completely understand our reality now- we HAVE to go undefeated every single year in order to play in the NY6 game and until the tie ins change our bowl fate is known. Believe me I get all that but for folks to openly criticize the team and coaches for ONE loss is insane. If our program isn’t allowed a loss without the world crumbling down future seasons will be miserable. I have watched and loved college football forever and maybe I’m getting old and jaded but the money, coaching changes and the all or nothing aspect of the game takes all of the love out sometimes. When I say this trust me I have no desire to go back but one part of the FCS days was great- we could actually lose to the P5 (get our paycheck) and actually drop a conference game and STILL win it all. Virtually nobody clamors for a G5 championship but in reality we are just about there. As soon as the first CFP poll came out we were in the playoffs. App, Boise, Memphis and Cincinnati were the final 4 for what amounts is the G5 championship otherwise known as the Cotton Bowl. How do you fix the bowl system to make it more fair and equitable? Who knows. I believe the reality is that in this year the only people really upset are App fans. The ACC doesn’t give a crap about our bowl situation and evidently neither does the Sunbelt. It’s a one game reward for the players and coaches. I’ve read that some think the outcome has some bearing on the rankings for NEXT year. I have a hard time imagining that. Are the AP voters really concerned with how to rank us next year based on this one game? If we had played and beaten a 6-6 ACC team would we look that much better going into next year? If we happen to lose does it completely ruin a 12-1 season? Come on man.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:39 pm

General Moore wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:05 am
WVAPPeer wrote:

Lol. No
Just to clarify - I wasn't saying they would beat us because I don't think they would - their defense is very questionable - I was referring to the committee - I hope you understand that -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

General Moore

Unread post by General Moore » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:48 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:39 pm
General Moore wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:05 am
WVAPPeer wrote:

Lol. No
Just to clarify - I wasn't saying they would beat us because I don't think they would - their defense is very questionable - I was referring to the committee - I hope you understand that -
I know what you meant and I know we dont like the committee and that the committee takes AAC over us if we are even , but if we were 13-0 right now we would be in extremely uncharted territory as far as rankings and most certainly in the Cotton Bowl. The committee is annoying and bias on many Levels but 13-0 would have given them no choice. Its just nonsense to say otherwise.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:55 pm

Players seem to be over it. Fans should get over it. Go out and dominate UAB like you've dominated Toledo and MTSU. If you continue to win these games by those types of margins, they will be brought up in Bowl Negotiations when they take place. Also brought up will be how App filled the Cramton Bowl twice, had a good showing in Mobile, and mopped the turf in NOLA.

You can also add the fan support seen in Chapel Hill, Coastal, and Columbia to show how well App travels to anywhere within a reasonable distance of travel. That would only help in securing primary and secondary tie-ins to bowls like the Belk, should they be open to a contract with the Sun Belt.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:11 pm

Beat UAB @STA!!!

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:39 pm

Personally, I'd be in favor of going the ECU route of scheduling while they were in C-USA. Schedule 3 P5 teams and one G5. Don't schedule the P5's like Clemson and UGA if you can help it. Stick to Wake, State/UNC, UVA or Vanderbilt types if possible.

I know coaches like the FCS games but they aren't always useful, particularly while you are still in the Sun Belt. Go back to 2008 where ECU beat Number 8 WVU and 22 Virginia Tech. They eventually dropped off in conference but they were approaching the Top 10 before finally losing.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:33 pm

hotrod2001 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:52 pm
We knew the rules, and we knew what the best two bowls could be that we could play in and frankly we controlled our destiny and laid an egg on Halloween.

I don't mind UAB, it's a more desirable opponent than a MAC team and frankly it's kind of a feel-good story too when you look at what the Blazers have gone through over the last few years, literally resurrecting their program from the dead of Alabama sports politics.

That said, I hope we blast them back into the stone age. If we're as good as we say we are it's statement time.
A top 20 caliber team should beat UAB by 30+ so we better prove the polls right to rank us so high. We definitely need to make a statement and not just for the final polls but to help position us for the preseason polls before the 2020 season.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:37 pm

UAB is Coach Clark’s first game and his first bowl game. I am excited for him. I want us to showcase every weapon we have and roll.

AppRolls

Unread post by AppRolls » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:17 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:04 pm
NeersBy90 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:08 am
MrCraig wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:05 am
More than the player's mindset, the way I've seen many Mountaineers talk about UAB is disrespectful to their fans. Sure, on paper, App should spank UAB, but UAB isn't some garbage team. They've been successful since they restarted their program. A lot more successful than UNC-Concord or South Alabama. Y'all are going to look really dumb if App gets beat, God forbid.
What has been said to disrespect their fans? All I've seen (and yes, posted about) is how inflated their record is, they've beaten bad teams, 1 win against a team with winning record, but nothing that I would consider disrespectful to their fans...
Would you not feel disrespected if we were playing a different, "bigger and better" opponent, and all their fans on social media were upset that they were playing us? Saying stuff like, "well their record is really inflated. The Sun Belt is a trash conference, and the two P5 wins they have were against garbage teams. They lost a game to a bad Georgia Southern team. If we have to play a G5 team, I wish we could play a good one." Do you not think that's disrespectful to the team and the fans that have devoted every Satuday to supporting them?
Where is the rule that says that you have to “respect” your opponent on a message board? I’m so sick of people on YC trying to police how other people express their fandom. Some people will predict we’ll win by 50, others are nervous about losing every time we tee it up. Let each fan be the fan they want to be and express it the way they want to. We don’t all have to be the same. Let’s worry about building the program and not worry about making sure every post on a message board is reasonable.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:18 pm

AppRolls wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:17 pm
MrCraig wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:04 pm
NeersBy90 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:08 am
MrCraig wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:05 am
More than the player's mindset, the way I've seen many Mountaineers talk about UAB is disrespectful to their fans. Sure, on paper, App should spank UAB, but UAB isn't some garbage team. They've been successful since they restarted their program. A lot more successful than UNC-Concord or South Alabama. Y'all are going to look really dumb if App gets beat, God forbid.
What has been said to disrespect their fans? All I've seen (and yes, posted about) is how inflated their record is, they've beaten bad teams, 1 win against a team with winning record, but nothing that I would consider disrespectful to their fans...
Would you not feel disrespected if we were playing a different, "bigger and better" opponent, and all their fans on social media were upset that they were playing us? Saying stuff like, "well their record is really inflated. The Sun Belt is a trash conference, and the two P5 wins they have were against garbage teams. They lost a game to a bad Georgia Southern team. If we have to play a G5 team, I wish we could play a good one." Do you not think that's disrespectful to the team and the fans that have devoted every Satuday to supporting them?
Where is the rule that says that you have to “respect” your opponent on a message board? I’m so sick of people on YC trying to police how other people express their fandom. Some people will predict we’ll win by 50, others are nervous about losing every time we tee it up. Let each fan be the fan they want to be and express it the way they want to. We don’t all have to be the same. Let’s worry about building the program and not worry about making sure every post on a message board is reasonable.
The Golden Rule.
I'm not here to tell you how to be a fan. You can express your fandom any way you want. It's fine to point out the deficiencies in an opponent, but I see many posters on YC and twitter belittling and insulting UAB and their fans. This is America, and you are free to do that, but I'm also free to say that that kind of behavior makes you look like an ass. You wouldn't like it if someone else was saying the same thing about you or your team.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:07 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:07 am
..... I’ve read that some think the outcome has some bearing on the rankings for NEXT year. I have a hard time imagining that. Are the AP voters really concerned with how to rank us next year based on this one game? If we had played and beaten a 6-6 ACC team would we look that much better going into next year? If we happen to lose does it completely ruin a 12-1 season? Come on man.
Ask Boise. I'd argue that one Fiesta Bowl game launched them to where they are today and they are still riding that magical night.
The Appalachian State

BayouApp

Unread post by BayouApp » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:46 pm

Epic season that needs one final act...a win over UAB. Finish ranked in the Top 25 or maybe even Top 20, and what a season! How many would have imagined this so soon into our FBS history? Looking forward only and cannot wait to get to the game in NOLA.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:50 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:07 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:07 am
..... I’ve read that some think the outcome has some bearing on the rankings for NEXT year. I have a hard time imagining that. Are the AP voters really concerned with how to rank us next year based on this one game? If we had played and beaten a 6-6 ACC team would we look that much better going into next year? If we happen to lose does it completely ruin a 12-1 season? Come on man.
Ask Boise. I'd argue that one Fiesta Bowl game launched them to where they are today and they are still riding that magical night.
I’m not so sure about that example. They had proven to be pretty good already and we’re highly ranked when given that bowl assignment. I just don’t think that there is a huge carryover for G5’s. I think we are already noticed. I just don’t believe if we win by 10,20, or 40 the preseason voting will vary.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”