Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Bowl opponent musings

scatman77

Bowl opponent musings

Unread post by scatman77 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:20 pm

This has been on my mind the past couple days after reading the disappointments over our bowl opponent. It has gotten to the point that our fan base has me worried. We're grousing and griping about the lack of a more worthy opponent after finishing as SB champion, beating two P5 teams, and final ranking at #20. We've deemed UAB unworthy and not should not be on the same field as our Mountaineers. These opinions sound very familiar. I remember these comments coming from Ann Arbor in 2007. I know the same thing was said in Columbia in 1975. We all know about uncheat and their "safety school" comments. My point is: let's take a moment to remember where we came from and let's not disrespect our next and last opponent. All our derogatory comments become bulletin board fodder. We don't want to become UAB's "Michigan." Should we win? Yes.....but let's not be so arrogant as to diss others as we were once dissed. That being said, let's "Baghdad bomb and sandpaper that ass!"
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

asu7
School: Appalachian State

Re: Bowl opponent musings

Unread post by asu7 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:23 pm

We gotta go in and hit them in the face early. Not let up. Play like we are down by 20 at 15:00 to go in the first qtr.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:36 pm

We do not need to become a condescending Toledo. Go Apps, Fight Apps, Kick Ass!
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:38 pm

scatman77 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:20 pm
This has been on my mind the past couple days after reading the disappointments over our bowl opponent. It has gotten to the point that our fan base has me worried. We're grousing and griping about the lack of a more worthy opponent after finishing as SB champion, beating two P5 teams, and final ranking at #20. We've deemed UAB unworthy and not should not be on the same field as our Mountaineers. These opinions sound very familiar. I remember these comments coming from Ann Arbor in 2007. I know the same thing was said in Columbia in 1975. We all know about uncheat and their "safety school" comments. My point is: let's take a moment to remember where we came from and let's not disrespect our next and last opponent. All our derogatory comments become bulletin board fodder. We don't want to become UAB's "Michigan." Should we win? Yes.....but let's not be so arrogant as to diss others as we were once dissed. That being said, let's "Baghdad bomb and sandpaper that ass!"
Do you believe the football team is going to have a let down by wishing they were playing Virginia Tech or Penn State in their first game under their new head coach?

What the fans say and what the players do is totally different. These guys play for each other, their coaches, and Appalachian State. They always represent well and I doubt next Saturday will be any different. #1-0 didn't start with Drinkwitz. Nameless, faceless opponents. Go out and execute your plan regardless of who is in your way.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:38 pm

We are going to hold them by the nose and kick them in the @$$
The Appalachian State

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:52 pm

We knew the rules, and we knew what the best two bowls could be that we could play in and frankly we controlled our destiny and laid an egg on Halloween.

I don't mind UAB, it's a more desirable opponent than a MAC team and frankly it's kind of a feel-good story too when you look at what the Blazers have gone through over the last few years, literally resurrecting their program from the dead of Alabama sports politics.

That said, I hope we blast them back into the stone age. If we're as good as we say we are it's statement time.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:53 pm

Yosef has killed a lot of critters in the Appalachian mountains. Mountain lions, bears, maybe a big foot or two. Grab the musket, keep the powder dry and let’s go get us a dragon. Does dragon tastes like chicken?

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:01 pm

I don't think we'll have a letdown. I think we win big, but honestly I think the biggest danger for us is overconfidence. Not just because of the opponent, but because there could be a feel-good vibe now that Clark has been hired and I could see our players sort of thinking "we rolled over our opponent in this bowl last year, now we've got our coach, everything's great and we'll just run it back this year." Whereas it seemed last year, the team may have channeled some negative energy over Satt leaving and Ivey being passed over into the beatdown it handed out.

Again, not predicting any of that. But if you told me we would lose, that's my best guess as to why it could happen.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:32 pm

I think we'll break out a #6 on 'em, like Mr. Taggart says. Mt. Ulla people are familiar with that.

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:58 am

There was some disappointment with the rumor mill not coming to fruition. However, I believe the team and fan base as well is focused on throttling UAB after some venting since first part of the week. I do not believe they will disappoint! Go App!

Gnomeneer

Unread post by Gnomeneer » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:52 am

Anybody, anywhere, anytime!

Tis great to be a MOUNTAINEER!

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:26 am

Shawn's first game as an OFFICIAL Head Coach, this team will be motivated. Our Senior's last game, this team will be motivated. Playing to be the HIGHEST ranked G5 to prove a point to CFP & pollsters, this team will be motivated. NOW, I'm motivated to yell my lungs out to support this great team of players and Coaches!!!

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:38 am

Cro-Magnon App wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:32 pm
I think we'll break out a #6 on 'em, like Mr. Taggart says. Mt. Ulla people are familiar with that.
This Mt. Ulla native gets your drift. A #6 will work fine as long as we don’t have to go back to Boone and get a s**t load of dimes!
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:05 am

More than the player's mindset, the way I've seen many Mountaineers talk about UAB is disrespectful to their fans. Sure, on paper, App should spank UAB, but UAB isn't some garbage team. They've been successful since they restarted their program. A lot more successful than UNC-Concord or South Alabama. Y'all are going to look really dumb if App gets beat, God forbid.

NeersBy90

Unread post by NeersBy90 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:08 am

MrCraig wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:05 am
More than the player's mindset, the way I've seen many Mountaineers talk about UAB is disrespectful to their fans. Sure, on paper, App should spank UAB, but UAB isn't some garbage team. They've been successful since they restarted their program. A lot more successful than UNC-Concord or South Alabama. Y'all are going to look really dumb if App gets beat, God forbid.
What has been said to disrespect their fans? All I've seen (and yes, posted about) is how inflated their record is, they've beaten bad teams, 1 win against a team with winning record, but nothing that I would consider disrespectful to their fans...

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:20 am

This very special team deserves to go out with a big win, and I believe they’ll do just that. As for the opponent, they are who’s next, so let’s stomp them.
We’ve got all the offseason to discuss bowl reform, among other things.
This is the beginning of the Shawn Clark Era, and these players are going to put on a show. GO APP!!!!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:26 am

App fans get royally bent out of shape when our P5 opponents assume a dismissive attitude towards us, even when the P5 is favored. If we're not careful, we can fall into that same trap when assuming the same attitude toward other G5 teams when we're favored. There's no doubt that App is rightfully the favorite in this game but UAB is dangerous and deserves our full and focused attention. Fortunately, the team doesn't seem to be commenting on the opponent. Their comments are more focused on the excitement over Clark and wanting to "get it done" in New Orleans. I really don't think we've seen the best this team has to offer yet this season. I'm really hoping to see it in the NO Bowl. I would love to see the Apps send a message that we aren't going away!

Turn 'em loose and let the big Apps eat!

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:51 am

"This has been on my mind the past couple days after reading the disappointments over our bowl opponent. It has gotten to the point that our fan base has me worried. We're grousing and griping about the lack of a more worthy opponent after finishing as SB champion, beating two P5 teams, and final ranking at #20. We've deemed UAB unworthy and not should not be on the same field as our Mountaineers."

This statement is just not true - at least from my OP on the matter -

" I have absolutely no disrespect for UAB - the coach, players and staff have done a miracle job to be so good after dropping football completely just a couple of years ago."
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

app87

Unread post by app87 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:45 am

appstatealum wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:38 pm
I love me some Patton!

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:52 pm

app87 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:45 am
appstatealum wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:38 pm
I love me some Patton!
"Be seated.."

Was the Final Jeopardy answer earlier this week.
BLACK SATURDAY

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”