Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Army - Navy this Saturday ---

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Army - Navy this Saturday ---

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:33 am

My first prediction - NavyApp will be rooting for the Midshipmen :o

Thought I would open up a thread so we APP fans can share history, stories, personal involvement, etc. about this CLASSIC -
Suggestions -
Who are you rooting for? - Navy
Why? - My Dad served in the Navy in WWII on a PC boat in the Med
Has anyone been able to actually witness this game in person? - No, Always wanted to but never will - but our Dad took my brother and I to see Navy play George Washington U. (yes they used to play football) in 1958 at old Griffith Park (note: got to see Jim Brown and Cleveland play the Redskins the next day)
Additional thoughts - Love that these young men give it everything they have with absolute respect for the other side -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

PhillyApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Army - Navy this Saturday ---

Unread post by PhillyApp » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:38 am

I’ll be at the GameDay set, wearing my App gear proudly!

As for the game....go Navy! They’ve had a solid season and I think a win Saturday would cap it off nicely for them.
Clark for Prez 2024 💪🏼

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:40 am

PhillyApp wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:38 am

As for the game....go Navy! They’ve had a solid season and I think a win Saturday would cap it off nicely for them.
How about flying a Block A and standing beside whomever is carrying the WSU Cougs flag this week - that way we'll be sure to see ya!

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:43 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:33 am

Thought I would open up a thread so we APP fans can share history, stories, personal involvement, etc. about this CLASSIC -
Suggestions -
Has anyone been able to actually witness this game in person? - No, Always wanted to but never will - but our Dad took my brother and I to see Navy play George Washington U. (yes they used to play football) in 1958 at old Griffith Park (note: got to see Jim Brown and Cleveland play the Redskins the next day)
Additional thoughts - Love that these young men give it everything they have with absolute respect for the other side -
Why? - Haze Grey and Underway is a way of life
Has anyone been able to actually witness this game in person? - No, I would love to just for the pomp and circumstance of it
Additional thoughts - I can't speak for The Cadet's but in my personal experience Midshipmen tend to be the worst most arrogant surface officers. I've gone toe to toe with quite a few including a divisional officer who had played on the football team. He also bad mouthed App football. Good news though he was completely useless and I told him as much. -
FREQS AND GEEKS!

Capt. Ed

Unread post by Capt. Ed » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:19 am

Sorry, duplicate post.
Last edited by Capt. Ed on Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Capt. Ed

Unread post by Capt. Ed » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:31 am

Rooting for Army.

Why? - R.E. Lee, Ulysses S. Grant, George Patton, Dwight Eisenhower, etc. Dad served in the Army in the Pacific Theater in WW2.

Been There? - Yes, 2002 game at the Meadowlands. Every moment was incredible. My favorite was when the Army Apache Attack copters rose slowly at one end of the stadium and moved across the field to the other end. Half time videos from each school poking fun at the other were also fantastic. Not so much fun, Navy won big.

Thoughts? Hoping Army wins and adds another loss to the AAC bowl results.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:37 am

"I can't speak for The Cadet's but in my personal experience Midshipmen tend to be the worst most arrogant surface officers. I've gone toe to toe with quite a few including a divisional officer who had played on the football team."
I don't remember hearing any stories of Midshipmen being fragged -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:43 am

As a retired CPO from the Coast Guard I usually go with Navy. However, this year it's a little different. Navy is a ranked team and they're an AAC team. The way I see it, why should we be the only ranked team to lose to a triple option team. Therefore, Go Army!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:18 am

Capt. Ed wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:31 am
Rooting for Army.

Why? - R.E. Lee, Ulysses S. Grant, George Patton, Dwight Eisenhower, etc. Dad served in the Army in the Pacific Theater in WW2.

Been There? - Yes, 2002 game at the Meadowlands. Every moment was incredible. My favorite was when the Army Apache Attack copters rose slowly at one end of the stadium and moved across the field to the other end. Half time videos from each school poking fun at the other were also fantastic. Not so much fun, Navy won big.

Thoughts? Hoping Army wins and adds another loss to the AAC bowl results.
Army. Same reasons basically. Sixth Infantry -New Guinea , Luzon ,Manila . Where was your Dad?

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:24 am

Army
My childhood best friend's Dad was a Lt.Col in the Army
Went to the 1968 game in Philly
Navy seems to be the stronger team this year

PhillyApp

Unread post by PhillyApp » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:49 am

HkyMtneer wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:40 am
PhillyApp wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:38 am

How about flying a Block A and standing beside whomever is carrying the WSU Cougs flag this week - that way we'll be sure to see ya!
Black block A flag will be there! I’ll try to find a Missouri fan to stand beside ;)
Clark for Prez 2024 💪🏼

bardenc

Unread post by bardenc » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:50 am

I went to the 1994 game as an Army recruit. One of the best football experiences I've ever had. Not partial to either team though. I ended up playing at Air Force for 1 year.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:52 am

This has always been a bucket list item for me. Always watch, usually rooting for the underdog. I highly suggest reading "A Civil War" by John Feinstein. Even though he is a Dookie, one of the best reads ever if you are a football fan and a fan of this game.

eggers76

Unread post by eggers76 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:00 am

Navy- my dad served on a destroyer in the Pacific during WWII. My niece graduated from the academy.
I attended the Army/Navy game in 2016 in Baltimore. It was a brutally cold day and the Army won for the first time in several years. It was a fantastic experience that anyone who gets a chance to go to should definitely make the trip.

Capt. Ed

Unread post by Capt. Ed » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:08 am

Stonewall wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:18 am

Army. Same reasons basically. Sixth Infantry -New Guinea , Luzon ,Manila . Where was your Dad?
Same basic area. He was in the Topographical Engineers, his primary role was to drive a jeep, no lights, at night, to the front headquarters, pick up geographical info gathered there and return to the map makers so they could prepare and update maps for the next days fighting.

Philippines and New Guinea were places he mentioned but he didn't talk much about his army time.

WXAPP

Unread post by WXAPP » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:13 am

Here's the opening by CBS for the Army / Navy game.... Goose bumps...

Click: Army / Navy
Twitter: @wxcrum

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:25 am

My dad joined the Navy right after the Pearl Harbor attack at the age of 17. Worked as a fighter mechanic primarily based out of FL. He had 2 brothers deployed; one in the Navy serving on a PT boat in the Atlantic and one in the Army infantry in Europe. All have departed this earth now but they did their part to defend the US. That said, I have great respect for both of these institutions and team but my heart as my dad would say says "Go Navy"!!

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:13 am

Just watching GameDay and they showed a clip of several years ago where John McCain was giving a "pep talk" to the Midshipmen in the locker room prior to the game and it gave me chills and at the same made me sick that a certain whatever disparaged his service to our country -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:46 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:33 am

Suggestions -
Navy

My dad was a Fighting Seabee during the Korean War.

Have not been but would love to go.

Anchors aweigh my boys, Anchors Aweigh!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:17 pm

Sooo where to start? I was raised in Military family, Dad was in 35 years, up to Master Sergeant then CW-4, Viet-Nam decorated in the US Army. I joined the Army before my Father was out. Grand Dad served in the Eighth Army Air corps as a navigator. My brother served in the Army then switched and retired as a Coastie. His wife served in the Army as well, so yes my nephews mom did in fact wear combat boots. You see the trend here Go ARMY!!! I lived at West Point, New York from 1974-1979 then again 81-84. Dad being in the Army's "brown water Navy" running the harbor on the Hudson river.

I'll share a few memories with y'all. Having lived in Germany from age four till seven we move to West Point and lived on Merritt road. Until I was ten or so I honestly thought that in the US everyone in the country goes to football games on Saturdays in the fall, y love for college FB was born. As kids, boys often scaled the fences of closed Michie Stadium to play hide and seek during the off season. Watched games from the bastion walls of Fort Putnam overlooking the stadium and my favorite fishing hole Lusk reservoir.

When I was 11 my Dad and some older boys told me I could be a vendor at the games for a job besides just delivering papers. To this day I credit that experience for an ability to accurately make change with lightning speed from any denomination, and being able to yell out a piercing HOT DOOOGS HERE!! loud enough to be heard over an entire section. I can close my eyes and still smell the dogs in the box the Sterno to keep 'em warm and the cigar smoke from Mr. Schades the vendor. When you came back under the stands to buy more dogs from him he'd yell one word in a thick New York Irish accent "Howmanydagsyawant"? With a refilled box as I hurried away I'd hear "there ya go, yell and sell". Scared me good the first few times.

As a young teen many of us would stand around the visitors gates long faced asking for extra tickets for free. If you were rewarded with one or more, you quickly went near the ticket office and sold them for face value. IIRC in 81-84 ticket prices were a whopping 10 to 15 bucks. On a good day you could make $30 to $50 much easier and profitable than selling dogs;-) party time. It's West Point that made me love football.

In April 85 I was about to go into the Army myself with the goal of paying for college. Dad told me he wanted me to come with him to a town in the mountains called Boone while he inspected the National Guard unit. I walked campus for the weekend stayed at the Boone Plaza Inn;-), went to Conrad Stadium, Met Mr. Sollecito (little did I know I'd work 3 years for the guy). I fell in love with App and the Black and Gold it felt familiar, who knew. We stayed over till Monday, that morning I went and applied in person to start at App after my enlistment was up for the spring of 1988 three day later I received my acceptance letter. It's my father, Jerry Moore, and Mr Sollecito that made me love Appalachian.

So after that long winded account I'll say GO ARMY! GO APP!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”