Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Bowl Game rankings by Entertainment...conspiracy

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

Re: Bowl Game rankings by Entertainment...conspiracy

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:22 am

AppyVanWinkle wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:44 am
How the heck does the LendingTree (Mobile) Bowl end up with a payout nearly twice as large as the New Orleans Bowl?

I get that the corporate title sponsor plays a part, but payout is what many use as a rule of thumb when judging bowl "prestige". One would think the Sun Belt would want their premier bowl tie-in (which the conference champ is apparently locked into) to have the highest payout.

2019 bowl payouts: http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/bowl-schedule/2019/
As bad as the financials are for most trucking companies I am surprised the sponsorship is not the pocket change available the night of the game.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

APP93

Unread post by APP93 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:35 am

When you look.at these numbers and then think about the booster club support the P5's are able to generate you realize how big of a "mountain" the mid-major programs need to climb. Any time a G5 beats a P5 its always an upset, a big one.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:12 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:22 am
AppyVanWinkle wrote:
How the heck does the LendingTree (Mobile) Bowl end up with a payout nearly twice as large as the New Orleans Bowl?

I get that the corporate title sponsor plays a part, but payout is what many use as a rule of thumb when judging bowl "prestige". One would think the Sun Belt would want their premier bowl tie-in (which the conference champ is apparently locked into) to have the highest payout.

As bad as the financials are for most trucking companies I am surprised the sponsorship is not the pocket change available the night of the game.
Trucking companies are either purchased or go bankrupt. Tier 1 players like XPO Logistics and C.H. Robinson diversify their offerings to include 4PL work because transportation alone is almost always a losing proposition.

R and L isn't really a tier 1 carrier but they have VAS on top up diversification that allows them to compete.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:01 am

ericsaid wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:12 am
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:22 am
AppyVanWinkle wrote:

Trucking companies are either purchased or go bankrupt. Tier 1 players like XPO Logistics and C.H. Robinson diversify their offerings to include 4PL work because transportation alone is almost always a losing proposition.

R and L isn't really a tier 1 carrier but they have VAS on top up diversification that allows them to compete.
And a ton are going bankrupt this year from what I have read. Some or even many of those may have been very much tiny operations that were not more than one or two drivers which is never going to sponsor anything more than the logo on the side of the door.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

AppStFan1

Re: Bowl Game rankings by Entertainment

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:39 am

ericsaid wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:46 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:22 pm
GregPercussion wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:20 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:58 am
I'm thinking ESPN was making a push for App to the Belk Bowl. We know App fans were all over the Belk Bowl Twitter account so it would be pretty obvious but based on the final regular season projection by Bonagura, these comments, the lack of pre-ordering for the Bowl Game, the SBC Championship game not announcing the winner to NOLA, etc. etc. tells me that there was some serious heat about this.
Oh there totally was. That's why Belk Bowl delayed announcing their SEC team until like 5 hours after VT.

SunBelt wouldn't budge.
I know some said the SBC commissioner would likely push for it because it would be good for the league and it would make sense but I never got the sense that our league truly wanted it. I would bet they would rather Troy or Louisiana be the team to get an opportunity for a bigger bowl and not us. The league office does not pull for us at all. I'm pretty sure of that.
Why would the league office desire Troy or Louisiana in the Belk Bowl over App? That makes no sense, at all.

The league and all member schools stood to make more money from App in Belk and dropping Arizona for multiple reasons. The payouts from bowls are collected by the conference and dispursed to member schools after debts are accounted for.

Louisiana to New Orleans and App to Charlotte while dropping travel to Arizona would drop travel expenses. Increasing your bowl payout from Arizona against the Belk would also increase the margins. This was a situation where the league had a chance to reduce expenses (most direct impact to bottom line) and increase revenue. Rarely in a business do you get the opportunity to do both of these things as costs and revenue are generally positively correlated.

I highly doubt the league office cares who goes where in this type of situation.
Of course they should have wanted us to get the Belk Bowl but my point was more along the lines that the office wants those other schools to reach this level before us. I don't have inside knowledge here but I'm pretty sure the commissioner did not push this and go to bat for us like he would have one of those other schools. I have no doubt they would have rather had ULL in the New Orleans Bowl than us because of money but my point is that we are new and they aren't going to fight for us like they would those other schools.

What you said makes sense and was my first reaction that even though the league probably wishes the other schools had got this chance first that they would push this train and hope we get it. From what people who have some knowledge of it have said the SBC was not the one pushing this. It was ESPN. What other reason besides preferring that the new kid not get the better toy or something stupid would prevent our commissioner from going for this? Is he just that inept? I really hope not.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:31 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:39 am
ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
GregPercussion wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:58 am
I'm thinking ESPN was making a push for App to the Belk Bowl. We know App fans were all over the Belk Bowl Twitter account so it would be pretty obvious but based on the final regular season projection by Bonagura, these comments, the lack of pre-ordering for the Bowl Game, the SBC Championship game not announcing the winner to NOLA, etc. etc. tells me that there was some serious heat about this.
Oh there totally was. That's why Belk Bowl delayed announcing their SEC team until like 5 hours after VT.

SunBelt wouldn't budge.
I know some said the SBC commissioner would likely push for it because it would be good for the league and it would make sense but I never got the sense that our league truly wanted it. I would bet they would rather Troy or Louisiana be the team to get an opportunity for a bigger bowl and not us. The league office does not pull for us at all. I'm pretty sure of that.
Why would the league office desire Troy or Louisiana in the Belk Bowl over App? That makes no sense, at all.

The league and all member schools stood to make more money from App in Belk and dropping Arizona for multiple reasons. The payouts from bowls are collected by the conference and dispursed to member schools after debts are accounted for.

Louisiana to New Orleans and App to Charlotte while dropping travel to Arizona would drop travel expenses. Increasing your bowl payout from Arizona against the Belk would also increase the margins. This was a situation where the league had a chance to reduce expenses (most direct impact to bottom line) and increase revenue. Rarely in a business do you get the opportunity to do both of these things as costs and revenue are generally positively correlated.

I highly doubt the league office cares who goes where in this type of situation.
Of course they should have wanted us to get the Belk Bowl but my point was more along the lines that the office wants those other schools to reach this level before us. I don't have inside knowledge here but I'm pretty sure the commissioner did not push this and go to bat for us like he would have one of those other schools. I have no doubt they would have rather had ULL in the New Orleans Bowl than us because of money but my point is that we are new and they aren't going to fight for us like they would those other schools.

What you said makes sense and was my first reaction that even though the league probably wishes the other schools had got this chance first that they would push this train and hope we get it. From what people who have some knowledge of it have said the SBC was not the one pushing this. It was ESPN. What other reason besides preferring that the new kid not get the better toy or something stupid would prevent our commissioner from going for this? Is he just that inept? I really hope not.
There was no pushing to be done. All you could do was have an agreement in place, which I believe there was, that if the SEC did not have a team available, App would be placed in the Belk Bowl. That's all he could've done and he's under no obligation to publicly acknowledge that.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:39 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:31 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:39 am
ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
GregPercussion wrote:

SunBelt wouldn't budge.

There was no pushing to be done. All you could do was have an agreement in place, which I believe there was, that if the SEC did not have a team available, App would be placed in the Belk Bowl. That's all he could've done and he's under no obligation to publicly acknowledge that.
I do know the results did not go in our favor but I doubted we ever really had a shot at it even had they gone in our favor. I would need to hear from the SBC commissioner that the deal was in place because I don't believe they did. It felt like a media push that as never going to happen.

I can't imagine the ACC being too happy with having App potentially beat a 2nd team in a season.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”