Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Could App get the invite to the AAC?

TheAppalachianState
School: Appalachian State

Could App get the invite to the AAC?

Unread post by TheAppalachianState » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:04 pm

I read some of the comments over on the Sun Belt forum that read the AAC at this point would be interested in adding a member for football only, as long as it had a strong brand...
Well... App is clearly making a name for themselves in the FBS and if we keep punching our ticket year in and year out, would it be a possibility that we actually can make this jump?

I do not know enough about the inner workings of a conference and what we’ve signed with the belt, I do believe our conference had something to do with us not getting the Belk Bowl, but was that even in their control? In any case, what are y’all’s thoughts on an AAC move and the possibility?

AppStFan1

Re: Could App get the invite to the AAC?

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:07 pm

TheAppalachianState wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:04 pm
I read some of the comments over on the Sun Belt forum that read the AAC at this point would be interested in adding a member for football only, as long as it had a strong brand...
Well... App is clearly making a name for themselves in the FBS and if we keep punching our ticket year in and year out, would it be a possibility that we actually can make this jump?

I do not know enough about the inner workings of a conference and what we’ve signed with the belt, I do believe our conference had something to do with us not getting the Belk Bowl, but was that even in their control? In any case, what are y’all’s thoughts on an AAC move and the possibility?
I would be willing to take football only for right now but no need to worry until the time actually comes. I think the AAC will come calling but we have a little while before it happens.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:09 pm

Never say never....but odds are against it.

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:12 pm

Oh good lord, not this again

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:58 pm

The Belk Bowl was contractually obligated to take a team from the ACC and SEC, provided both conferences had qualifying teams. Both did. The Belk Bowl had no wiggle room.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:08 pm

I have read before that the commissioner of the AAC, as we know, is dedicated to being grouped with the P5s that he would want a team that competes at that level. The teams that have come up before as possible AAC additions (before our rise to FBS prominence) were BYU, Boise St, and Army. BYU and Boise are both pretty far outside of the current footprint whereas Army is not great but better geographically speaking. We are a much better fit and have an in-state rival in ECU.

My thing is if we're able to beat Wake and at least be competitive with Wisconsin next year we'll have a pretty good P5 competition resume based on what we did this year, and of course the TN OT, Wake 1 point loss, and Penn St OT. We would meet that requirement.

Our big disadvantage is if they're basing it strictly on media market size and don't include Charlotte/Meck or the Triad in that consideration.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:50 pm

Possibility, especially if it is football only to start. I agree with AppSt1. Eventually AAC will come calling. Perhaps intro talks have begun?

TheAppalachianState

Unread post by TheAppalachianState » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:55 pm

Could it have been a reason we retained DG?

SayYesToTheRock

Unread post by SayYesToTheRock » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:07 pm

The AAC is nice, but we don't need to be in it to reach our next major program goal: winning a New Years Six bowl. Having more seasons like this one will get us there.

Boise is happy with the Mountain West because they can achieve all of their program goals from it. We can do the same from the Sun Belt.

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:19 pm

SayYesToTheRock wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:07 pm
The AAC is nice, but we don't need to be in it to reach our next major program goal: winning a New Years Six bowl. Having more seasons like this one will get us there.

Boise is happy with the Mountain West because they can achieve all of their program goals from it. We can do the same from the Sun Belt.
AAC could help us immensely in reaching that goal. The yearly payout per school is nearly $7 million. Unless it's changed, I think that's much higher than the Sunbelt?

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:23 pm

SayYesToTheRock wrote:

That is true but you can't do it from the Belt with a loss...you have to be unblemished. If you're in the AAC then you can have a bad night, a la Halloween, and still, make it happen. You have no margin of error in the SB.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:29 pm

canes_mj wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:19 pm
SayYesToTheRock wrote:

AAC could help us immensely in reaching that goal. The yearly payout per school is nearly $7 million. Unless it's changed, I think that's much higher than the Sunbelt?
About $6.5 mm more.

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:32 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:29 pm
canes_mj wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:19 pm
SayYesToTheRock wrote:

About $6.5 mm more.
That's what I thought but couldn't find the link. That's program changing money, especially significant at the G5 level. Could put a huge gap between us and a lot of schools.

SayYesToTheRock

Unread post by SayYesToTheRock » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:33 pm

HkyMtneer wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:23 pm
That is true but you can't do it from the Belt with a loss...you have to be unblemished. If you're in the AAC then you can have a bad night, a la Halloween, and still, make it happen. You have no margin of error in the SB.
App will need to be perfect in conference, yes. The jury is still out on if we can afford to lose to a team like Wisconsin. We may find out in 2020.

Obviously the AAC would be an ideal situation for App. The money is way better, etc. But the fact remains that the AAC, while nice, is absolutely not necessary for our program goals as they currently stand. WE control our own destiny -- the AAC does not.

97APP

Unread post by 97APP » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:37 pm

Wonder what the payout for a football only membership would be?
Today I Give My All for Appalachian State

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:43 pm

HkyMtneer wrote:
SayYesToTheRock wrote:

Agreed. I would take it a step further though. Not only must we be undefeated but nobody in the AAC or MWC can be undefeated. The added money the AAC brings is huge as well.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheAppalachianState

Unread post by TheAppalachianState » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:46 pm

SayYesToTheRock wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:33 pm
HkyMtneer wrote:
App will need to be perfect in conference, yes. The jury is still out on if we can afford to lose to a team like Wisconsin. We may find out in 2020.

Obviously the AAC would be an ideal situation for App. The money is way better, etc. But the fact remains that the AAC, while nice, is absolutely not necessary for our program goals as they currently stand. WE control our own destiny -- the AAC does not.
With greater national exposure with the AAC, it definitely helps wayyyy more year in and year out. Especially with multiple teams receiving rankings. I think App fits all of what their conference is about and brings it to the stands when we finish our construction. We always have the highest attendance in our conference, could you imagine how packed we’d constantly be if we regularly have ranked teams coming through? And to top it off way more frequent chances of the NY6?

I think us getting in the AAC should be happening, and very soon. I hope our BOTs are working on how to get us in there.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:49 pm

I just don’t see it.

Our athletic funding is nowhere near competitive with the rest of the AAC.

Most AAC schools are large market/commuter type institutions.

Houston
Cincinnati
UCF
USF
Memphis
SMU
Temple
Tulane
Tulsa

All in large cities.

ECU & Navy the only outliers. Greenville still has 100k people and Annapolis is a borderline suburb of DC.

I’d love it, I just don’t see it.

If I had to bet, I’d put my money on one of:

ODU
Ga State
UNCC
UAB

With probably Ga State leading the pack. Especially if they keep improving in football over the next couple years. They’d fill a giant void in Georgia. Huge enrollment. Good basketball. Massive stadium.

Hope I’m wrong.
YNWA

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:07 pm

The answer for everything is to Give to Yosef. The more $ we have, the more options we have. The next time you see someone in App State gear I hope you will ask them to consider financially giving something back to the school. Go Apps!
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:45 pm

It’s a crock but we will get nothing as long as there are crappy teams in big cities and the AAC is blind to the fact APP is part of 2 large media markets.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”