Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

That “Head Coach feel”

bigdaddyg
School: Appalachian State

Re: That “Head Coach feel”

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:30 am

ericsaid wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:24 am
StorminASU wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:45 am
RunawayJM wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:03 am
I liked the hoodie and hat combo and didn’t even notice the spitting.

What was even more impressive is that he held things together after we got down 14-0 early and couldn’t move the ball. After everything our team has been through the past month, that could have really gotten bad for a first time coach. He never waivered and the team responded.
Now THIS is the right thing to takeaway from Shawn's first outing as head coach.
I'm of the opinion that App beat UAB soundly. Watching the first two drives, my initial reaction was "UAB wasn't supposed to be passing the ball. App has safeties up in the box to stop the run and that makes sense to me. UAB can't complete those passes around Jolly and Jean Charles all game long and will eventually have to try running." What ended up happening? UAB ran the ball for 40 yards on 30 carries. App had 6 sacks. App had a defensive touchdown.

The environment of the game itself was lacking which is why I'm looking forward to Cure moving to ESPN and the Myrtle Beach Bowl opening next season, but the game itself went about how every other game App played against a decent team went.

Side note: if both App and Coastal are Bowl Eligible, would the Myrtle Beach bowl still pick App? App would easily bring more fans down and to the game than Coastal would.
Personal bowl choices:

1. CFP top 4 (not picky on our seed.. :lol:)
2. NY6 Bowl
3. Belk (or whatever the Charlotte bowl is)
4. Myrtle Beach (easy drive and added stuff)

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:07 am

Is the Myrtle Beach bowl gong to be played in Conway at CCU's stadium?

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:20 am

I hope we have higher hopes than both New Orleans Bowl and most definitely the Myrtle Beach bowl next year and future years. If we ever play in the MB bowl, we will barely have a winning record to become bowl eligible and our opponent will more than likely be Horry County High School (if that high school actually exists). I hope we are never in that position.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:43 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:44 pm
I'm much more worried about 11 penalties.
We had 8 against MTSU in 2018. Against ETSU, we had 5 penalties. Against Charlotte we had 13, UNC we had 6, Coastal we had 7, UL (reg season) we had 3, GaSo we had 4, UL (CCG) we had 6.

We tend to hover around 5 per game, so this was high for us. I don't doubt it'll be corrected in a timely manner.

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:16 pm

If we’re going to change the subject, how about lets just start a new thread so this one can die and go away?

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:49 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:26 pm
Being a boomer I take offense at being identified as a gentrified out of touch PC group. I’ll have you know I had hair(long gone) down on my shoulders, listened to Ozzie Iron Butterfly and LZ (today Greta Van Fleet) and still know how to flash a peace sign while torping a Busch. Don’t be ragging on Boomers! I don’t care if Coach has a chew or a dip or a nose ring and wears a leisure suit( well maybe that is too far) as long as he teaches these young men to be good people and kick ass on the field.
C’mon man, Geata Van Fleet ain’t Led Zeppelin.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:07 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:49 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:26 pm
Being a boomer I take offense at being identified as a gentrified out of touch PC group. I’ll have you know I had hair(long gone) down on my shoulders, listened to Ozzie Iron Butterfly and LZ (today Greta Van Fleet) and still know how to flash a peace sign while torping a Busch. Don’t be ragging on Boomers! I don’t care if Coach has a chew or a dip or a nose ring and wears a leisure suit( well maybe that is too far) as long as he teaches these young men to be good people and kick ass on the field.
C’mon man, Geata Van Fleet ain’t Led Zeppelin.
I listen to both!

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:00 pm

Please, nose ring not acceptable.

NashvilleNeer

Unread post by NashvilleNeer » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:49 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:30 am
ericsaid wrote:
StorminASU wrote:
RunawayJM wrote:

What was even more impressive is that he held things together after we got down 14-0 early and couldn’t move the ball. After everything our team has been through the past month, that could have really gotten bad for a first time coach. He never waivered and the team responded.
Now THIS is the right thing to takeaway from Shawn's first outing as head coach.
I'm of the opinion that App beat UAB soundly. Watching the first two drives, my initial reaction was "UAB wasn't supposed to be passing the ball. App has safeties up in the box to stop the run and that makes sense to me. UAB can't complete those passes around Jolly and Jean Charles all game long and will eventually have to try running." What ended up happening? UAB ran the ball for 40 yards on 30 carries. App had 6 sacks. App had a defensive touchdown.

The environment of the game itself was lacking which is why I'm looking forward to Cure moving to ESPN and the Myrtle Beach Bowl opening next season, but the game itself went about how every other game App played against a decent team went.

Side note: if both App and Coastal are Bowl Eligible, would the Myrtle Beach bowl still pick App? App would easily bring more fans down and to the game than Coastal would.
Personal bowl choices:

2. NY6 Bowl
sorry, but the myrtle beach bowl does nothing for me. the field is teal, no thanks. It would be against a mid-league conf. usa or MAC school. We need better secondary options like the MAC, Conf. USA and AAC to face a 7-5 or 8-4 P5 school.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:01 pm

I'm only on page 3, but how you all haven't concluded Cline has a new name is beyond me.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:03 am

NoLongerLurking wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:01 pm
I'm only on page 3, but how you all haven't concluded Cline has a new name is beyond me.
1. There is no Cline any more on here
2. I have no other name on here except NewApp. Ask the mods.
3. Are you guys or girls trying to make me switch my allegiance from App?
4. Quit showing your azz, NLL and BF.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:12 am

:( :?
The Appalachian State

TheAppalachianState

Unread post by TheAppalachianState » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:23 am

Great thread, enjoyed it thoroughly.

Not sure how everyone got lost in the weeds about their preference of spitting or swallowing, but that’s not my business /shrug

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:27 am

TheMoody1 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:07 am
Is the Myrtle Beach bowl gong to be played in Conway at CCU's stadium?
Correct.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:56 am

NashvilleNeer wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:49 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
StorminASU wrote:
RunawayJM wrote:

Personal bowl choices:

2. NY6 Bowl
sorry, but the myrtle beach bowl does nothing for me. the field is teal, no thanks. It would be against a mid-league conf. usa or MAC school. We need better secondary options like the MAC, Conf. USA and AAC to face a 7-5 or 8-4 P5 school.
Agree. No to Myrtle Beach. Besides we get to go there this year for a regular season game. Another chance to take over a stadium.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:03 pm

NashvilleNeer wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
StorminASU wrote:
RunawayJM wrote:

Personal bowl choices:

2. NY6 Bowl
The Myrtle Beach bowl will be against the American and MAC (rotating), not Conference USA. The Cure Bowl will be moving to ESPN and also be tied primarily to the American Athletic Conference.

The NOLA League Champion mandate is done and over with as well as it was only a 2-year deal.

App and ECU in Myrtle Beach to play at Coastal would see one of the best attended undercard bowls for the G5 and would likely not have many, if any, empty seats. You'd likely see an atmosphere reminiscent of the Chattanooga National Championship games; specifically 2007 against Delaware.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:07 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:56 am
NashvilleNeer wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
StorminASU wrote:

Personal bowl choices:

2. NY6 Bowl
Agree. No to Myrtle Beach. Besides we get to go there this year for a regular season game. Another chance to take over a stadium.
You wouldn't rather play Cincinnati, UCF, Temple (not great name but good team), ECU, SMU, Navy, etc. in Myrtle Beach than MTSU, UAB, Toledo, etc. in Alabama or NOLA?

Would be a great opportunity to showcase how App travels when the distance is reasonable. The past two bowl games have been really a poor reflection of App's ability to travel due to distance. App in the Camelia Bowl so that stadium filled twice. Mobile had a great showing. NOLA looked like two out of state high school teams were playing due to the crowd size.

The Sun Belt getting secondary tie-ins to Gasaprilla, Boca, Belk, Liberty, Independence, etc. would help with the ability to get better match-ups overall. However - and this is big - the Sun Belt has 5 tie-ins and 10 schools. The chances of the Sun Belt getting 60 or 70% of their teams bowl eligible - considering our conference bretheren often schedule at least one money game and sometimes three - is low.

NashvilleNeer

Unread post by NashvilleNeer » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:36 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:07 pm
Appstate88 wrote:
NashvilleNeer wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
ericsaid wrote:

Personal bowl choices:

2. NY6 Bowl
You wouldn't rather play Cincinnati, UCF, Temple (not great name but good team), ECU, SMU, Navy, etc. in Myrtle Beach than MTSU, UAB, Toledo, etc. in Alabama or NOLA?

Would be a great opportunity to showcase how App travels when the distance is reasonable. The past two bowl games have been really a poor reflection of App's ability to travel due to distance. App in the Camelia Bowl so that stadium filled twice. Mobile had a great showing. NOLA looked like two out of state high school teams were playing due to the crowd size.

The Sun Belt getting secondary tie-ins to Gasaprilla, Boca, Belk, Liberty, Independence, etc. would help with the ability to get better match-ups overall. However - and this is big - the Sun Belt has 5 tie-ins and 10 schools. The chances of the Sun Belt getting 60 or 70% of their teams bowl eligible - considering our conference bretheren often schedule at least one money game and sometimes three - is low.
I know who's going to be tied in and it's the MAC, ConfUSA, and Sun Belt. No, I do not want to play Toledo or MTSU. Even if they allowed them to send an AAC team to Myrtle Beach, the AAC's tie-ins will never send one of their top 3 teams to that bowl, so again creating another bowl to tie-in with with the MAC and ConfUSA doesn't really help us all the much. Our conference badly needs better secondary tie-ins or primary tie-ins to get in to these bowl games to face some P5 teams. Yeah, that's on the other schools, but there's so many issues i have with the whole bowl system that i'm not going to get into now. This Myrtle Beach bowl will be better than the Alabama bowls, but that's not really saying much.
Last edited by NashvilleNeer on Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:38 pm

NashvilleNeer wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:36 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:07 pm
Appstate88 wrote:
NashvilleNeer wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:

Personal bowl choices:

2. NY6 Bowl

I know who's going to be tied in, but all our bowl games are basically tied in with these G5 conferences. No, I do not want to play Toledo or MTSU. The AAC's tie-ins will never send one of their top 3 teams to that bowl, so again creating another bowl to tie-in with with the MAC doesn't really help us all the much. Our conference badly needs better secondary tie-ins or primary tie-ins to get in to these bowl games to face some P5 teams.
Yeah, that's on the other schools, but there's so many issues i have with the whole bowl system that i'm not going to get into now. This Myrtle Beach bowl will be better than the Alabama bowls, but that's not really saying much.
Having a tie-in with the AAC won't do anything to hurt the conference. App being in discussion for Belk should help with some secondary tie-in negotiations this Winter and Spring. ESPN seems to have been a primary player in trying to get App to Charlotte so that only helps the Sun Belt's negotiating position. One thing fans can continue to do is travel well to games within driving distance so that the Sun Belt and App State has ample evidence to point to when discussing tie-ins with P5 bowls.

You also didn't address the number of teams versus the number of tie-ins. The Sun Belt needs primary tie-ins with P5 bowl games to ensure coverage. Secondary tie-ins won't guarantee anything.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:43 pm

In response to see how well App fans travel, we do not even sell out our allotted to our own championship game...in our own stadium. I have been both years. The attendance has been embarrassing
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”