Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Way too early top 25

spacemonkey
School: Appalachian State

Re: Way too early top 25

Unread post by spacemonkey » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:58 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:38 pm
citroknight wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:56 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:55 am
spacemonkey wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:06 am
Who says we don't have playoffs in the G5???? Our playoff starts Saturday Sept 5th, 2020.
In a way we are in one. Single elimination in our league. If we lose any game we have no shot at the NY6. If we win out we are the front runner next year.

I fully expect this team to shock the world in Madison, Wisconsin. If we develop like we should in the spring and our staff has the right game plan I believe we could beat Wisconsin by double digits. I'm not impressed with the Big Ten outside of Ohio State this year. They lose their RB Taylor and the top players on their team overall. I really think we can go up there and win.

In the preseason I said I expected 13-1 and 12-2 was worst case that I would accept. Next year 13-1 is worst case. We have the squad to go 14-0. Take it one game at a time and if we stay healthy we could be looking at 14-0. #1-0 #Keepthechip
Absolute worst case though, Cincy proved this year that an early season loss to a highly ranked P5 is forgiveable for a team competing for the G5 autobid. Lose to Wisconsin and still very much in it.
You are judging by the AAC. SBC is not considered strong enough to allow for a team with a loss. We absolutely need to go undefeated. Starting 3-0 with wins over two ranked teams would put us in the driver's seat for the NY6.
Not trying to argue...Just pointing out. Any G5 team with one loss is going to be in the hunt. There are very few G5 one loss teams in history. I do think it matters if your one loss is ranked at the end of the year. A one loss to Georgia Southern we are out. If our one loss would have been to SC and Close, I think we would have been in most years. What we cant afford is a loss to a very low ranked team.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:26 pm

I'd think with Boise State, SMU going down and if Memphis loses to Penn State that App would be in the low teens...I'd think we'd HAVE to be at least 19th with Boise State losing.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:22 pm

hotrod2001 wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:26 pm
I'd think with Boise State, SMU going down and if Memphis loses to Penn State that App would be in the low teens...I'd think we'd HAVE to be at least 19th with Boise State losing.
There will be some P5's that jump us and some P5's that dont fall. Minnesota and Iowa are the only two that "may" fall below us. I don't think Memphis will even if they lose and I don't think they will let Alabama be below a G5.

If Oklahoma St., Virginia, or Southern California win they will probably jump us.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:03 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:58 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:38 pm
citroknight wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:56 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:55 am
spacemonkey wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:06 am
Who says we don't have playoffs in the G5???? Our playoff starts Saturday Sept 5th, 2020.
In a way we are in one. Single elimination in our league. If we lose any game we have no shot at the NY6. If we win out we are the front runner next year.

I fully expect this team to shock the world in Madison, Wisconsin. If we develop like we should in the spring and our staff has the right game plan I believe we could beat Wisconsin by double digits. I'm not impressed with the Big Ten outside of Ohio State this year. They lose their RB Taylor and the top players on their team overall. I really think we can go up there and win.

In the preseason I said I expected 13-1 and 12-2 was worst case that I would accept. Next year 13-1 is worst case. We have the squad to go 14-0. Take it one game at a time and if we stay healthy we could be looking at 14-0. #1-0 #Keepthechip
Absolute worst case though, Cincy proved this year that an early season loss to a highly ranked P5 is forgiveable for a team competing for the G5 autobid. Lose to Wisconsin and still very much in it.
You are judging by the AAC. SBC is not considered strong enough to allow for a team with a loss. We absolutely need to go undefeated. Starting 3-0 with wins over two ranked teams would put us in the driver's seat for the NY6.
Not trying to argue...Just pointing out. Any G5 team with one loss is going to be in the hunt. There are very few G5 one loss teams in history. I do think it matters if your one loss is ranked at the end of the year. A one loss to Georgia Southern we are out. If our one loss would have been to SC and Close, I think we would have been in most years. What we cant afford is a loss to a very low ranked team.
South Carolina was not any good. Had we lost to them and beat Georgia Southern we are still out. The only reason we were ranked is because of the SC and UNC wins. Had we lost to either of them we could not have gotten back in. Because the AAC Champ is likely to have a win over a ranked team we truly need to not only sweep the SBC but have a win over a ranked team to get in over the AAC Champ.

shortfatoldapp

Unread post by shortfatoldapp » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:58 am

Ranking=opinion=crap!

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:45 pm

We had Brad Crawford of 247 on our show and he flat out admitted he hasn't watched any bowl games yet at all. National pundits don't care about the G5.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:59 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:22 pm
hotrod2001 wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:26 pm
There will be some P5's that jump us and some P5's that dont fall. Minnesota and Iowa are the only two that "may" fall below us. I don't think Memphis will even if they lose and I don't think they will let Alabama be below a G5.

If Oklahoma St., Virginia, or Southern California win they will probably jump us.
If a voter has us or any G5 above Alabama they are smoking some crazy stuff. Alabama would beat Memphis, App, and Boise by at least 28.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:05 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:45 pm
We had Brad Crawford of 247 on our show and he flat out admitted he hasn't watched any bowl games yet at all. National pundits don't care about the G5.
I appreciate our App people on 247 because they run a great website and if Crawford just writes for a team that is fine, I admit I know his name but not sure what beat he covers, but if he is a voter in polls or national awards he should have to watch every game or get fired. That is their job. People like national guys at ESPN, CollegeGameDay folks, Phil Steele, FS1 national analysts, etc. all watch every game I would think.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:08 pm

shortfatoldapp wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:58 am
Ranking=opinion=crap!
We all know that and they are subjective. It is like we have some on here who say a 7-5 team should not be ranked but if Memphis, App, or Boise had the same schedule as Texas A&M and some of those others our record would be 7-5 as well. That is a respectable season in some leagues but we have voters who think your record alone makes you worthy of a vote. I can tell we have several AP voters who don't watch the games. Are we a top 25 caliber team? I think so but I know we aren't a top 20 caliber team yet. If our replacements next year step up like they should I think we will actually be a top 20 talent team next year, which means with our schedule we could go 14-0 and finish in the top 15 easily. I would not put us that high but an undefeated record will get anyone in the top 10 or just outside of it.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:43 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:05 pm
APPdiesel wrote:
I appreciate our App people on 247 because they run a great website and if Crawford just writes for a team that is fine, I admit I know his name but not sure what beat he covers, but if he is a voter in polls or national awards he should have to watch every game or get fired. That is their job. People like national guys at ESPN, CollegeGameDay folks, Phil Steele, FS1 national analysts, etc. all watch every game I would think.
His twitter bio says he's a national cfb analyst for 247. By "national" they must mean top 15.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:47 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:43 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:05 pm
APPdiesel wrote:
His twitter bio says he's a national cfb analyst for 247. By "national" they must mean top 15.
If a national writer does not watch every league then they are not national. Just watching P5 playoff teams and conference title games does not make someone national. LOL. Have to watch all of the country!

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:11 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:08 pm
shortfatoldapp wrote:
Ranking=opinion=crap!
We all know that and they are subjective. It is like we have some on here who say a 7-5 team should not be ranked but if Memphis, App, or Boise had the same schedule as Texas A&M and some of those others our record would be 7-5 as well. That is a respectable season in some leagues but we have voters who think your record alone makes you worthy of a vote. I can tell we have several AP voters who don't watch the games. Are we a top 25 caliber team? I think so but I know we aren't a top 20 caliber team yet. If our replacements next year step up like they should I think we will actually be a top 20 talent team next year, which means with our schedule we could go 14-0 and finish in the top 15 easily. I would not put us that high but an undefeated record will get anyone in the top 10 or just outside of it.
We keep forgetting that when Sutton went down, it was a huge loss in perception as well. I think losing Corey hurt us in ranking because voters knew he was one of our top tier guys (although severely underutilized) and if we got ourselves in a dogfight, he would be our go to.
The Appalachian State

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:29 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:11 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:08 pm
shortfatoldapp wrote:
Ranking=opinion=crap!
We keep forgetting that when Sutton went down, it was a huge loss in perception as well. I think losing Corey hurt us in ranking because voters knew he was one of our top tier guys (although severely underutilized) and if we got ourselves in a dogfight, he would be our go to.
It depends on how you spread it around for sure. We did not go to Sutton 10 times a game so losing him was a drop in talent and decoy but not as big in terms of production. I do think we have a couple young WRs who will be big time though. A hate to lose Evans because I know he could increase his stock next year and because it hurts out depth. I just hope Peoples is as good as he appears to be.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:01 am

So the poll watch for our final season ranking resumes in earnest today. Haven’t been following this thread, but in summary, remaining games of interest (rankings are AP):

- 19) Iowa vs. 22) USC (today)
- 15) Memphis vs. 13) Penn St. (Saturday)
- 14) Notre Dame vs Iowa St. (Saturday)
- 21) Navy vs. Kansas St. (12/31)
- 17) Michigan vs. 9) Alabama (1/1)
- 16) Minnesota vs. 9) Auburn (1/1)

And of course 18) Boise has already lost.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:08 am

Any Pollster who looks at the drive charts (ESPN makes that easy) will see how dominant App really was in the New Orleans Bowl. They could go back and watch both of UAB's scores in about 5 minutes. The cause of those scores is easy to discern and isn't due to App being overrated. They were good offensive calls and plays were made by the receivers on those plays, consecutively, that were very improbable.

citroknight
School: UCF

Unread post by citroknight » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:29 am

ericsaid wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:08 am
Any Pollster who looks at the drive charts (ESPN makes that easy) will see how dominant App really was in the New Orleans Bowl. They could go back and watch both of UAB's scores in about 5 minutes. The cause of those scores is easy to discern and isn't due to App being overrated. They were good offensive calls and plays were made by the receivers on those plays, consecutively, that were very improbable.
They're pretty lazy with G5 teams. But I think even the lazy analysis still works out for App. The lazy metrics would basically be, "Oh a 2 score win over a 9 win team? Great!"

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:33 am

A win at Wisconsin would be the second best win ever for our program. I expect to be a double digit dog.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:42 am

People get on the kick of knocking or criticizing the AP voters and go nuts because "they don't watch the games". Who on earth watches every single game every week? Do we honestly expect every writer/voter to have an absolute knowledge of App and every other team? Voting is absolutely subjective. We will never really achieve a top 10 ranking even at 14-0. Even if we run the table next year we will have 6-8 wins against losing teams to include most of our conference opponents. The reality is that there probably will be several very good P5 teams who go 8-4 in the regular season but are still at least as good as we will be. Personally I am fine with us showing up in the top 25 of any ranking. Just to see our name listed among the blue bloods and national powers is really cool. If a ranking of 20 or so at any season's end is our watermark that is pretty damn nice.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:07 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:33 am
A win at Wisconsin would be the second best win ever for our program. I expect to be a double digit dog.
A win at Wisconsin would be a big deal. My primary question is who backs up Jonathon Taylor? If Wisconsin is like Penn State and just piles guys in one after another, it could get interesting. With Wisconsin's under center style of ground and pound depth is going to be of paramount importance across the entire front 7. I'd like to be wrong but this seems like a very poor match-up for App's style of defense.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:09 am

citroknight wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:29 am
ericsaid wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:08 am
They're pretty lazy with G5 teams. But I think even the lazy analysis still works out for App. The lazy metrics would basically be, "Oh a 2 score win over a 9 win team? Great!"
This is true.

I like you. You're not like most AAC fans (and I actually am an alumni of ECU but haven't ever and still don't follow their football program with anything more than a passing interest).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”