Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Jordan Fehr

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: Jordan Fehr

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:32 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:29 pm
I've been hearing Corey has been working with track guys pre-injury and he can post a sub 4.4 number. He has proven to have a nice burst in the games and seperation speed on deep routes... He has a lot of things lining up to be special if he recovers nicely from his injury. Word is he had a lingering MCL issue dating back to KState and they went ahead and cleared that up while repairing his ACL. He may come back even better.
That could be very scary if he comes back better.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:43 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:26 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:52 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:17 am
appstatealum wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:14 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:43 am

I'm another who doesn't quite understand that. Can you help me understand how a guy who was listed as one of the 50 "Freak Athletes" in college football doesn't have tangibles that suit him for the NFL? He's not huge, but has ok size, and speed and strength certainly seem to meet NFL standards. What tangibles are lacking?
NFL Speed. Most of us casual fans simply don't understand the speed at which the NFL is played. Linebackers have to be freaks more than any other position to handle the versatility of responsibilities. Like what has been mentioned, if he can run a 4.40 or something in that range, he will absolutely make a team and possibly get drafted. As hype as everyone is on Gaither, I'm concerned about his hips and how much weight he can put on. Both of them are extremely intelligent players, Gaither has the edge on explosiveness and Fehr has the edge on size/strength. The NFL is looking for speed and explosiveness and then frames they can build NFL muscle on. They rarely take chances on size/strength only unless you are a lineman or something.
That is the big question for people with Gaither. Thin hips and lacks the frame to ideally add another 15-20 pounds. If he is say 6'1 or 6'2 205-210 range he may have to be a hybrid. Gaither can answer some of those questions at the Senior Bowl.
I've met and spoke to Gaither a dozen times, he is every bit of 6'2 and definitely hovering around that 205-210 range. I think he can put on another 10lbs or so. DiMarco is going to be the one to look out for, he has the frame to put on some good weight and he has some elite speed. I'll be interested to see his progression this year with an elevated role now that Fehr and Akeem are gone. Fehr is a large kid, but he has heavy feet and I just don't see him being able to run under a 4.5. I hope he does other things to impress a team. Josh Thomas should get a few looks, he gets lost sometimes.but has done enough over the last two seasons to show a nice mix of speed and strength at the safety position.

For next year, Sutton will be in the same spot as Gaither. He will start getting attention from NFL scouts early and should have a chance at the senior bowl. He is just shy of 6'3, has good size with potential to build more muscle, and can run a sub 4.4. His game speed has been proven and what always stands out to me is his ability to alude tackles/YAC yards, body control/balance, and route running. I honestly feel like he could be one of the better App players to ever play at the next level if he stays healthy. Hennigan has elite hands, perhaps some of the best I've seen since Fowlkes, but Henni has thick ankles and he won't test well in measurables. I hope he gets a camp and someone falls in love with his IQ and hands. Virg has a decent frame and has elite speed, he should get a look based on Pro Day numbers. His hips are a little too stiff to be a slot guy, which is where he would need to be to thrive in the NFL.
Yes Fehr is not quick twitch enough. I thought Gaither is 6'2 but I know the NFL estimated him at 6'1 1/4. He did not run at the junior pro day, which I wish he would have.

Jackson, Cobb, and Hampton are the 3 I have my eye on most but honestly all those guys are gonna be good. I do think Jackson and Hampton might be the two best for the NFL down the line though.

Josh Thomas will get looks. He should be a PFA as long as he tests well.

I'm with you on Sutton but people think he runs 4.50-4.55 range. His speed will be key but he too will be a draftable guy and Senior Bowl candidate.

I thought the same thing on Hennigan. Someone will sign him and he will have a good shot to make it because of his hands, toughness, and routes. He just isn't very fast in terms of deep speed and he isn't twitchy at all. He just makes catches and picks up yards though.

Virgil definitely has to get more oily in the hips. That speed alone though will get him looks with his size. I do wish he had the hands and route running of Hennigan. He would be special then. He has the one thing Hennigan does not have... blazing speed.
I don’t pretend to know much about what NFL teams are looking for but I know there are reason why most of our guys are at App and not P5 schools. That said Hennigan looks like he was made to be a Patriot.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:50 pm

Henni was definitely underrated coming out of HS, but he is the epitome of a possession receiver. We were lucky to get Corey Sutton, it was just a biproduct of a dysfunctional program at KState and Corey willing to go anywhere to get out of there. Snyder wouldn't play him and belittled him, only to turn around and not let him transfer out (like many others). We were on his short list thanks to his dad and Snyder OKed it since we weren't a P5 threat.

ADG came in with a good football pedigree, but hadn't found his way yet and App took a chance on him, it worked out for both parties.

Armanti was a known talent, but his QB style wasn't preferred at the time and most teams rather take a chance with him as a skill guy instead.... App gave him what he wanted and he came here.

Brian Quick was still incredibly raw having not played much football through HS, but the physical talent was there and he developed nicely.

Sean Price, similar story, was more of a track standout who had only played two years of HS football before coming to App. He was NFL caliber, but obviously blew any chance of making something of himself. One of the biggest disappointments I've ever seen.

App has a history of finding the right guys to fit our play style and expect them to adopt our culture, which can really elevate them to a special level. A few of the guys that we come across just needed an opportunity and had a lot of the talent already, and those make a name for themselves for the next level.
The Appalachian State

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:21 pm

One of the absolute most useless measurables for any position is the 40. If it was such a big deal every sprinter could easily become a receiver. I’d rather have a guy who can make the tough 20 yard catch when the lights turn on and 70,000 people are watching. The 40 is really ridiculous for linebackers. If a LB has to chase a receiver he’s probably burnt anyway

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:52 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:43 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:

NFL Speed. Most of us casual fans simply don't understand the speed at which the NFL is played. Linebackers have to be freaks more than any other position to handle the versatility of responsibilities. Like what has been mentioned, if he can run a 4.40 or something in that range, he will absolutely make a team and possibly get drafted. As hype as everyone is on Gaither, I'm concerned about his hips and how much weight he can put on. Both of them are extremely intelligent players, Gaither has the edge on explosiveness and Fehr has the edge on size/strength. The NFL is looking for speed and explosiveness and then frames they can build NFL muscle on. They rarely take chances on size/strength only unless you are a lineman or something.
That is the big question for people with Gaither. Thin hips and lacks the frame to ideally add another 15-20 pounds. If he is say 6'1 or 6'2 205-210 range he may have to be a hybrid. Gaither can answer some of those questions at the Senior Bowl.
I've met and spoke to Gaither a dozen times, he is every bit of 6'2 and definitely hovering around that 205-210 range. I think he can put on another 10lbs or so. DiMarco is going to be the one to look out for, he has the frame to put on some good weight and he has some elite speed. I'll be interested to see his progression this year with an elevated role now that Fehr and Akeem are gone. Fehr is a large kid, but he has heavy feet and I just don't see him being able to run under a 4.5. I hope he does other things to impress a team. Josh Thomas should get a few looks, he gets lost sometimes.but has done enough over the last two seasons to show a nice mix of speed and strength at the safety position.

For next year, Sutton will be in the same spot as Gaither. He will start getting attention from NFL scouts early and should have a chance at the senior bowl. He is just shy of 6'3, has good size with potential to build more muscle, and can run a sub 4.4. His game speed has been proven and what always stands out to me is his ability to alude tackles/YAC yards, body control/balance, and route running. I honestly feel like he could be one of the better App players to ever play at the next level if he stays healthy. Hennigan has elite hands, perhaps some of the best I've seen since Fowlkes, but Henni has thick ankles and he won't test well in measurables. I hope he gets a camp and someone falls in love with his IQ and hands. Virg has a decent frame and has elite speed, he should get a look based on Pro Day numbers. His hips are a little too stiff to be a slot guy, which is where he would need to be to thrive in the NFL.
Yes Fehr is not quick twitch enough. I thought Gaither is 6'2 but I know the NFL estimated him at 6'1 1/4. He did not run at the junior pro day, which I wish he would have.

Jackson, Cobb, and Hampton are the 3 I have my eye on most but honestly all those guys are gonna be good. I do think Jackson and Hampton might be the two best for the NFL down the line though.

I'm with you on Sutton but people think he runs 4.50-4.55 range. His speed will be key but he too will be a draftable guy and Senior Bowl candidate.

I thought the same thing on Hennigan. Someone will sign him and he will have a good shot to make it because of his hands, toughness, and routes. He just isn't very fast in terms of deep speed and he isn't twitchy at all. He just makes catches and picks up yards though.

Virgil definitely has to get more oily in the hips. That speed alone though will get him looks with his size. I do wish he had the hands and route running of Hennigan. He would be special then. He has the one thing Hennigan does not have... blazing speed.
I don’t pretend to know much about what NFL teams are looking for but I know there are reason why most of our guys are at App and not P5 schools. That said Hennigan looks like he was made to be a Patriot.
Every once in a while the P5s miss on a guy like they did with Evans but yes if you notice the DL we sign are usually shorter, OL are 250-275 instead of 290-310 usually, maybe a WR is 0.10 slower than people like, etc. Usually the guys we get that become next level guys were either missed, late bloomers, or they have a deficiency like Coakley's height, Matt Isenhour was too short for the ACC, Virgil is a raw route runner, Gaither lacks the ideal frame, etc.

What is interesting though you could put together a great G5 all-star team with size and speed but they are so spread out that it is hard for a G5 to recruit nationally and get all of those recruits on one team. lol

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:06 am

I wouldn't say the 40 is meaningless, but I agree it is over rated as a metric. There's no doubt that most play "slower" than their timed speeds. In a few cases there are players who actually seem to play faster. Armanti was one of those. I'm not claiming he actually ran faster, but relative to other players, he made guys look slow who were technically timed faster than he did. KRich was probably one of those also. There's a big difference in speed vs. quickness and quickness is probably more critical in football. Speed might help extend a 10 yard run to a break away, but those other traits (quickness, vision, strength) are what move the chains.

I am certainly no expert on what the NFL looks for or how they draw their conclusions, but I assume they look for WINNERS. I hope our guys show well and make it clear that they are in that category.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:06 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:21 pm
One of the absolute most useless measurables for any position is the 40. If it was such a big deal every sprinter could easily become a receiver. I’d rather have a guy who can make the tough 20 yard catch when the lights turn on and 70,000 people are watching. The 40 is really ridiculous for linebackers. If a LB has to chase a receiver he’s probably burnt anyway
Its not useless.... A football field is 53 yds wide and 120 yds long. Someone's 40 time is one of the easiest measurements to see how they will command that space. They don't have to necessarily run a good time, but off the block speed, split time, and top end speed are looked at. It measures how fast someone can play a very fast game. It's not the end all be all, but it's important. Look at the fastest guys in the NFL, they are some of the biggest impact players right now. Mecole Hardman, Tyreek Hill, Lamar Jackson.
The Appalachian State

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:08 am

appstatealum wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:50 pm
Henni was definitely underrated coming out of HS, but he is the epitome of a possession receiver. We were lucky to get Corey Sutton, it was just a biproduct of a dysfunctional program at KState and Corey willing to go anywhere to get out of there. Snyder wouldn't play him and belittled him, only to turn around and not let him transfer out (like many others). We were on his short list thanks to his dad and Snyder OKed it since we weren't a P5 threat.

ADG came in with a good football pedigree, but hadn't found his way yet and App took a chance on him, it worked out for both parties.

Armanti was a known talent, but his QB style wasn't preferred at the time and most teams rather take a chance with him as a skill guy instead.... App gave him what he wanted and he came here.

Brian Quick was still incredibly raw having not played much football through HS, but the physical talent was there and he developed nicely.

Sean Price, similar story, was more of a track standout who had only played two years of HS football before coming to App. He was NFL caliber, but obviously blew any chance of making something of himself. One of the biggest disappointments I've ever seen.

App has a history of finding the right guys to fit our play style and expect them to adopt our culture, which can really elevate them to a special level. A few of the guys that we come across just needed an opportunity and had a lot of the talent already, and those make a name for themselves for the next level.
You know what is interesting about Price. NFL teams were asking where he is and if he would pop back up like 3 years after he last played. I think people thought he would land at a small school and kill it but he never did. It is very sad because he looked like a definite draft pick and someone who could have truly left school early to play in the NFL and be a top 100 pick. Price was a special talent.

The Sutton thing truly was lucky for us. Had his dad not played here in the 1990s he probably does not come here but he has loved it. Sutton truly was a P5 talent all the way. I just can't believe that SC, UNC, NC State, Duke, Wake Forest, Tennessee, GT, etc all did not offer him out of high school.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:23 am

appstatealum wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:06 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Its not useless.... A football field is 53 yds wide and 120 yds long. Someone's 40 time is one of the easiest measurements to see how they will command that space. They don't have to necessarily run a good time, but off the block speed, split time, and top end speed are looked at. It measures how fast someone can play a very fast game. It's not the end all be all, but it's important. Look at the fastest guys in the NFL, they are some of the biggest impact players right now. Mecole Hardman, Tyreek Hill, Lamar Jackson.
No doubt but I would bet that there are plenty of guys who have great 40 times who either didn't make a roster or who otherwise have done nothing in the league. On the flip-side there are probably lots of "slower" guys who simply excel in the league due to hustle, route running, hands, etc. My point was more of, the 40 should not be such a highly regarded measurable.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:27 am

The Sutton thing worked out great for both him and App! He has an opportunity to be a featured receiver for a top 20 team and App gets a stud athlete that helps us GET that top 20 ranking! It's hard to imagine him having more impact and getting more attention at a P5. I guess it's possible but I can't imagine things working that way.

The Price situation was a real tragedy. He earned his dismissal to be sure, but I take not pleasure in his struggle and hope he gets his life on track.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:51 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:08 am
appstatealum wrote:

You know what is interesting about Price. NFL teams were asking where he is and if he would pop back up like 3 years after he last played. I think people thought he would land at a small school and kill it but he never did. It is very sad because he looked like a definite draft pick and someone who could have truly left school early to play in the NFL and be a top 100 pick. Price was a special talent.

The Sutton thing truly was lucky for us. Had his dad not played here in the 1990s he probably does not come here but he has loved it. Sutton truly was a P5 talent all the way. I just can't believe that SC, UNC, NC State, Duke, Wake Forest, Tennessee, GT, etc all did not offer him out of high school.
Apparently the recruiting around him and some others in Charlotte was pretty shotty. He had a lot of teams talking to him, but were dragging their feet. Virginia Tech. NC State, and UNC were all wanting him, VT apparently tried to flip him from KState late. He comes off as a loyal kid and didn't appreciate the shananigans from what I heard. Alot of thise same teams that missed on him the first time wanted him when transferring out of KState, but he knew the Boone atmosphere was better for where he was at, at the time. The more I've come to learn about the kid, the more special he seems to be. Definitely a different type of guy considering his resume and potential.
The Appalachian State

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:56 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Luke Kuechly ran a 4.58 at the same height and weight Fehr is purported to be.

If Fehr really runs a 4.4 his draft stock would go from Priority Free Agent to 3rd Round overnight. The 40 time, in conjunction with lateral agility drills and measurements is an accurate was to measure how most will translate athletically to the NFL. It doesn't apply to all but certainly covers a large majority of draft hopefuls.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:04 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:43 am

I'm another who doesn't quite understand that. Can you help me understand how a guy who was listed as one of the 50 "Freak Athletes" in college football doesn't have tangibles that suit him for the NFL? He's not huge, but has ok size, and speed and strength certainly seem to meet NFL standards. What tangibles are lacking?

Fehr is not quick twitch enough? Not many Inside Linebackers would be considered "quick twitch". Luke Kuechly, one of the athletic freaks of the NFL, wouldn't hardly be looked at as "quick twitch". He is quick and relentless because of the cerebral nature within which he plays the game. He's one of the few guys whose head lines up with his athletic abilities and the result is a future Hall of Famer (which he would be if he retired today). Fehr may not be a Day One starter in the league but he held up in a 3-4 defenses without a true nose tackle while making play after play against P5 teams he played against.

His sideline to sideline coverage against UAB, including one very specific play where the running back got the ball in space and Fehr was in between the hashes, he changed direction and was to the spot with the running back in no time, dragging him down for like a one yard gain, if I remember correctly.

Fehr's draft status will depend on multiple things, but lets assume he runs a 4.59 40, jumps out of the building, jumps the length of the field, and does well on the 225. He would probably be drafted alone based on that. Throw his film in the mix and things people are going to want to see is how he diagnoses plays pre-snap, how he fits run gaps, how he takes on blockers, and how quickly he makes the right coverage read when asked to drop. I noticed Fehr get washed out quite a bit in run fits but I think his role was to take on a blocker if they met him in order for another guy to fill the lane. He also got washed out late in games because he rarely came off the field.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:10 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:51 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:08 am
appstatealum wrote:

Apparently the recruiting around him and some others in Charlotte was pretty shotty. He had a lot of teams talking to him, but were dragging their feet. Virginia Tech. NC State, and UNC were all wanting him, VT apparently tried to flip him from KState late. He comes off as a loyal kid and didn't appreciate the shenanigans from what I heard. A lot of these same teams that missed on him the first time wanted him when transferring out of KState, but he knew the Boone atmosphere was better for where he was at, at the time. The more I've come to learn about the kid, the more special he seems to be. Definitely a different type of guy considering his resume and potential.
He certainly seems to be and his parents keep him grounded. It is just shocking that he did not have a lot of offers coming out of high school. He should have been a 4-star recruit with 20-25 P5 offers but he did not. Glad we were lucky enough to get him.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:24 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:04 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:

Fehr is not quick twitch enough? Not many Inside Linebackers would be considered "quick twitch". Luke Kuechly, one of the athletic freaks of the NFL, wouldn't hardly be looked at as "quick twitch". He is quick and relentless because of the cerebral nature within which he plays the game. He's one of the few guys whose head lines up with his athletic abilities and the result is a future Hall of Famer (which he would be if he retired today). Fehr may not be a Day One starter in the league but he held up in a 3-4 defenses without a true nose tackle while making play after play against P5 teams he played against.

His sideline to sideline coverage against UAB, including one very specific play where the running back got the ball in space and Fehr was in between the hashes, he changed direction and was to the spot with the running back in no time, dragging him down for like a one yard gain, if I remember correctly.

Fehr's draft status will depend on multiple things, but lets assume he runs a 4.59 40, jumps out of the building, jumps the length of the field, and does well on the 225. He would probably be drafted alone based on that. Throw his film in the mix and things people are going to want to see is how he diagnoses plays pre-snap, how he fits run gaps, how he takes on blockers, and how quickly he makes the right coverage read when asked to drop. I noticed Fehr get washed out quite a bit in run fits but I think his role was to take on a blocker if they met him in order for another guy to fill the lane. He also got washed out late in games because he rarely came off the field.
Can't really compare a 2nd team All-SBC LB to a guy who had over 500 tackles in his career when the ACC was completed loaded and not just a one team league: https://bceagles.com/sports/football/ro ... echly/1595

As for the quick twitch I am talking more about quickness and smoothness. Fehr is a really good player but he misses a good bit of tackles and is not great in pass coverage. He certainly gets lost in traffic a good bit and gets washed down like you said. However, if he tests like you are assuming then yes he could get drafted in the 6th or 7th round.

I don't think he is getting a NFL Combine invite so his pro day is key. Josh Thomas and Fehr are two players who if they test really well and look good in position drills they could go in the 6th or 7th round for sure.

Assuming all of our guys test well it would not be shocking if Evans and ADG go in the 85-140 range and then Thomas and Fehr sneak in the 200-255 range. It would be amazing to see 4 drafted players but those indeed need a strong pro day workout.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:23 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:24 pm
ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

Can't really compare a 2nd team All-SBC LB to a guy who had over 500 tackles in his career when the ACC was completed loaded and not just a one team league: https://bceagles.com/sports/football/ro ... echly/1595

As for the quick twitch I am talking more about quickness and smoothness. Fehr is a really good player but he misses a good bit of tackles and is not great in pass coverage. He certainly gets lost in traffic a good bit and gets washed down like you said. However, if he tests like you are assuming then yes he could get drafted in the 6th or 7th round.

I don't think he is getting a NFL Combine invite so his pro day is key. Josh Thomas and Fehr are two players who if they test really well and look good in position drills they could go in the 6th or 7th round for sure.

Assuming all of our guys test well it would not be shocking if Evans and ADG go in the 85-140 range and then Thomas and Fehr sneak in the 200-255 range. It would be amazing to see 4 drafted players but those indeed need a strong pro day workout.
I was shocked that AJ Howard, Tae Hayes, and Austin Exford all stuck in some capacity in the NFL.

However I can compare Kuechly to Fehr because what most people are stating about Fehr's testing scores would put him in elite company, even in the NFL, at the inside linebacker position. If he ran a sub-4.5 40 he would instantly be one of the fastest timed inside backers in the league right now, even ahead of Luke who by all objective measures is one of the most athletic linebackers playing today. If Fehr runs a sub-4.5, and teams like his film, he will shoot up draft boards. It's been stated multiple times that scouts have been watching him for two years now. They, along with coaches and GM's, are the ones who matter. If they've been watching for that long and his testing matches what is being stated, it will cement his status wherever those scouts already value him.

As for Fehr missing tackles, I only saw that happen later in games after he's been taking on offensive linemen all day long. He had a better year in 2018 when Myquon Stout was playing and could hold up two offensive linemen at a time, allowing Fehr to flow naturally to the ball. 2019 saw him take on more blockers and eventually that's going to take a toll on anyone; we saw the same thing with Kuechly when Poe went down.

Do I think that Fehr is Kuechly? Absolutely not. However both play in a 3-4 currently and Fehr is being projected here to test as well as Kuechly did in almost every category. Kuechly is the Peyton Manning of the linebacker fraternity in the NFL so it's unfair to measure any college prospect against what he did coming out of Boston College or since he has been in the pros. Generational talent to say the least. But we can compare physical attributes and that's all i'm doing.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:27 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

Josh Thomas looks like a box safety and special teams guy to me. He's not much of a coverage prospect but could be useful in a heavy nickel look because he can bring the wood and is quick in short order; but he's not fast, per say. Someone would have to believe that being limited in that regard doesn't nullify the positives he brings in his niche.

Same goes for Davis-Gaither. I just don't see where he fits. Looks like a great special teams addition but where is his fit on defense? Could he play OLB in a 4-3? Is he fluid enough and strong enough to set the edge and cover? I think everyone here is saying he doesn't have the frame to add the necessary weight but I haven't seen any evidence to back-up those claims; most of those just seem like suppositions from arm chair workout warriors.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:43 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:27 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:

Josh Thomas looks like a box safety and special teams guy to me. He's not much of a coverage prospect but could be useful in a heavy nickel look because he can bring the wood and is quick in short order; but he's not fast, per say. Someone would have to believe that being limited in that regard doesn't nullify the positives he brings in his niche.

Same goes for Davis-Gaither. I just don't see where he fits. Looks like a great special teams addition but where is his fit on defense? Could he play OLB in a 4-3? Is he fluid enough and strong enough to set the edge and cover? I think everyone here is saying he doesn't have the frame to add the necessary weight but I haven't seen any evidence to back-up those claims; most of those just seem like suppositions from arm chair workout warriors.
NFL defense are getting smaller to deal with the mobile QBs and the pass happy offenses. The outside backers are called into pass coverage more and more. It may just work out for Davis-Gather.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:55 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:43 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:27 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

NFL defense are getting smaller to deal with the mobile QBs and the pass happy offenses. The outside backers are called into pass coverage more and more. It may just work out for Davis-Gather.
It may, but he's probably in the same position as Thomas. Likely going to get looks as a box safety type with the ability to rotate into a linebacker look who can also rush the passer. Going to take some creativity.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:14 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:23 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
I was shocked that AJ Howard, Tae Hayes, and Austin Exford all stuck in some capacity in the NFL.

However I can compare Kuechly to Fehr because what most people are stating about Fehr's testing scores would put him in elite company, even in the NFL, at the inside linebacker position. If he ran a sub-4.5 40 he would instantly be one of the fastest timed inside backers in the league right now, even ahead of Luke who by all objective measures is one of the most athletic linebackers playing today. If Fehr runs a sub-4.5, and teams like his film, he will shoot up draft boards. It's been stated multiple times that scouts have been watching him for two years now. They, along with coaches and GM's, are the ones who matter. If they've been watching for that long and his testing matches what is being stated, it will cement his status wherever those scouts already value him.

As for Fehr missing tackles, I only saw that happen later in games after he's been taking on offensive linemen all day long. He had a better year in 2018 when Myquon Stout was playing and could hold up two offensive linemen at a time, allowing Fehr to flow naturally to the ball. 2019 saw him take on more blockers and eventually that's going to take a toll on anyone; we saw the same thing with Kuechly when Poe went down.

Do I think that Fehr is Kuechly? Absolutely not. However both play in a 3-4 currently and Fehr is being projected here to test as well as Kuechly did in almost every category. Kuechly is the Peyton Manning of the linebacker fraternity in the NFL so it's unfair to measure any college prospect against what he did coming out of Boston College or since he has been in the pros. Generational talent to say the least. But we can compare physical attributes and that's all i'm doing.
AJ Howard, Exford and Hayes (to a degree) all have lasting power in the NFL because they tested well and their games translated to the NFL even better than college. Exford was more or less a backup at App, but his Pro Day was phenomenol. He looked the part and tested extremely well. AJ Howard is similar and Tae impressed NFL scouts enough to get his shot and he has delivered when his number has been called. Hayes and Exford both were fantastic at Pro Day.
The Appalachian State

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”