Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Jordan Fehr

appstatealum
School: Appalachian State

Re: Jordan Fehr

Unread post by appstatealum » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:48 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:32 pm
Haha, it's all good Appstatealum. I guess I am probably just being a d**k because I have been drinking and watching football all day. The comments about AGD's hips just caught me as funny because it is clearly not a thought anyone who isn't paid by the NFL would have on their own and in my drunkeness I thought it appropriate to have a smart*ss response.
You’re good my man. I really don’t think much of it. My wife had me executing the long overdue “Honey-do” list today since we moved to a new house back right before football season started and have been thoroughly unproductive with all of the trips to Boone, away games, and New Orleans since August. I’ve watched Zero football today. She did make me buffalo wings and I indulged on a few yuenglings Saturday for the Clemson v OSU game.

What was your drink of choice?
The Appalachian State

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:51 pm

Been hitting the Crown and fresca since the afternoon games, warming up for the Florida game. My youngest two are still home on break from UF and we are all watching the game now, although it is too close for me right now.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:57 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:40 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:46 pm
t4pizza wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:57 pm
It just amazes me how much NFL scout, make that GM, level knowledge we have amongst our posters on this board. I am sure many of you must be making big money in NFL front offices with all the knowledge that is thrown around on here. I am just in awe of the vast knowledge. All of our players should just ask this board whether or not they should go pro because clearly we have all the answers.
I hear your sarcasm. I'm not one personally but I'm relaying the information given to me by folks who do work in the NFL, Senior Bowl, media, and coaching buddies.

Prove to me that what I'm saying is wrong. Since you are calling me a know it all just to recap all I have said before. I said Duck made a mistake and would not get drafted and likely not make it, said Hayes would make it, Moore would likely not get drafted and that medical was worse than said to be, the rest would get a shot, and said all along Gaither would be highest rated guy. I posted about a week before Gaither got the Senior Bowl invite that he would. Posted what 2 weeks before Evans declared early that I was told it is a done deal.

I can't give away my identity but if you knew who I was you would put a little stock in it. I don't know much on our recruiting at all so I ask AppSt94 and Moose but I have a pretty good grasp on what is going on in regards to our players and the NFL Draft.

I could just keep my mouth shut but I would think we come on a board hoping to hear quality information.

Umm, I literally clarified my sarcasm in another post where I said it was my bad and I was probably being a d**k bc I have been drinking too much and a comment made me laugh so I responded. Never said you were a 'know it all", hell, I never even thought that as I feel you are just passing on stuff you hear by people in the know, even if you may do it in a way that implies they are your independent thought because you have some greater level of NFL knowledge. And, I never said you were wrong, most your comments are shared by all of us. It was just funny to me hearing one of our posters talk about AGD's hips as a major concern of him making the NFL as that is clearly not an independent thought but is something that was said by someone in the league because they look at stuff like that. Keep posting what you hear/know/believe because I mean no offense. The hip stuff just made me laugh so I posted a smart ass comment, ignore it as a drunken rambling of a know nothing App fan.
I saw that after. It is all good! I saw some like the comment and I was sure it was directed at me. lol

No worried on the drunk thing. I'm not a big drinker but I have seen how some of my friends are. Better to be sarcastic on here than to some stranger in person and risk getting in a fight. LOL

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:02 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:42 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:35 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:21 pm
t4pizza wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:57 pm
It just amazes me how much NFL scout, make that GM, level knowledge we have amongst our posters on this board. I am sure many of you must be making big money in NFL front offices with all the knowledge that is thrown around on here. I am just in awe of the vast knowledge. All of our players should just ask this board whether or not they should go pro because clearly we have all the answers.
Well, to clarify, AppStFan1 has proven to have a friend who is a scout and I have a friend who played in the NFL, has multiple friends who are scouts currently, knows agents, and knows college coaches. My growing knowledge of the game comes from meeting and talking to actual experts. Last year was my first time going to a Pro Day and it was interesting how transparent these NFL scouts are and how willing they were to talk to me when I asked questions.

So. A few of us may not be experts per se, but we are doing our best to regurgitate what we have had experts tell us. I personally like getting as much info as I can and form my own analysis based on it all. I enjoy some of these posters'insight and you can take it with a grain of salt or trust that we are doing our best to convey what sources are saying. I know it doesn't personally hurt my feelings if someone doesn't agree with my post.but I know some people like reading and discussing.
I have a couple coach buddies, I know 2 agents, and several media members and actually 3 NFL scouts but just 1 of them comes through App every year. The other sometimes comes through. It is good to hear from others who know folks. You can usually tell who knows folks and who is just a normal fan, which there is nothing wrong with it.

If you are credentialed NFL teams are more likely to talk openly. Folks would be surprised at the things they tell people they consider their piers and the things coaches will tell a NFL team that they will blatantly tell the opposite thing to someone in the media. NFL teams and agents often hear the exact opposite of what a media person would hear. The only media members who I think get the honest truth are the ones who worked in the NFL or are close friends with them away from football.
Yeah, I know you have taken some heat on here, but after you and I had some dialogue via PMs around the Drink hire and then the Pro day stuff, things you were saying matched with what I was hearing and what I saw with my own eyes at Pro Day. You have more than validated yourself with me. There are a couple of other posters as well. I know it sounds like we are just trying to be “know it alls” or break news first, but I think we all do it out of passion for the program and feel obligated to share with other fans that share our passion. I’d do it behind a paywall if I was looking for validation or kudos.

Cheers, and happy New Year.
It is okay to take heat early on. I have taken much less lately since people see I am like you and I share because I have a passion for our program. I don't care to break news first. I just posted about ADG to SB and Evans going early because I knew both were big things and I wanted to share it.

I'm actually willing to post screenshots of some info I am given but I have no clue how, or if, we can post pictures on here or in DMs.

I hope you, and everyone else, has a Happy New Year!

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:04 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:51 pm
Been hitting the Crown and fresca since the afternoon games, warming up for the Florida game. My youngest two are still home on break from UF and we are all watching the game now, although it is too close for me right now.
You can never go wrong with Crown and any Coca Cola product.

I had a house slam full since Christmas eve. My Christmas eve indulgence was Vodka-BodyArmor-splash of Gingerale in my yeti (too many little kids). It has been my go to drink all year. A few of my cousins inquired about it and I made them a few. Needless to say, my half gallon of Titos disappeared quickly. Two of them were bartenders and were impressed by my concoction.

Cheers and Happy new year to you
The Appalachian State

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:05 pm

Risking a fight isn't ever a problem for me. I do drink but my personality type, in person, isn't one that lends itself to fighting. I am far better at calming situations down than escalating them as I never have a problem admitting fault of my own or my friends and don't have a problem just walking away. I graduated App in 93, fighting is a young man's sport and I am no longer a young man.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:18 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:05 pm
Risking a fight isn't ever a problem for me. I do drink but my personality type, in person, isn't one that lends itself to fighting. I am far better at calming situations down than escalating them as I never have a problem admitting fault of my own or my friends and don't have a problem just walking away. I graduated App in 93, fighting is a young man's sport and I am no longer a young man.
LOL. You would be surprised at the men over 50 who still want to fight. lol

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:43 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:33 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:23 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:24 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:04 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:26 pm

Yes Fehr is not quick twitch enough. I thought Gaither is 6'2 but I know the NFL estimated him at 6'1 1/4. He did not run at the junior pro day, which I wish he would have.

Jackson, Cobb, and Hampton are the 3 I have my eye on most but honestly all those guys are gonna be good. I do think Jackson and Hampton might be the two best for the NFL down the line though.

Josh Thomas will get looks. He should be a PFA as long as he tests well.

I'm with you on Sutton but people think he runs 4.50-4.55 range. His speed will be key but he too will be a draftable guy and Senior Bowl candidate.

I thought the same thing on Hennigan. Someone will sign him and he will have a good shot to make it because of his hands, toughness, and routes. He just isn't very fast in terms of deep speed and he isn't twitchy at all. He just makes catches and picks up yards though.

Virgil definitely has to get more oily in the hips. That speed alone though will get him looks with his size. I do wish he had the hands and route running of Hennigan. He would be special then. He has the one thing Hennigan does not have... blazing speed.
Fehr is not quick twitch enough? Not many Inside Linebackers would be considered "quick twitch". Luke Kuechly, one of the athletic freaks of the NFL, wouldn't hardly be looked at as "quick twitch". He is quick and relentless because of the cerebral nature within which he plays the game. He's one of the few guys whose head lines up with his athletic abilities and the result is a future Hall of Famer (which he would be if he retired today). Fehr may not be a Day One starter in the league but he held up in a 3-4 defenses without a true nose tackle while making play after play against P5 teams he played against.

His sideline to sideline coverage against UAB, including one very specific play where the running back got the ball in space and Fehr was in between the hashes, he changed direction and was to the spot with the running back in no time, dragging him down for like a one yard gain, if I remember correctly.

Fehr's draft status will depend on multiple things, but lets assume he runs a 4.59 40, jumps out of the building, jumps the length of the field, and does well on the 225. He would probably be drafted alone based on that. Throw his film in the mix and things people are going to want to see is how he diagnoses plays pre-snap, how he fits run gaps, how he takes on blockers, and how quickly he makes the right coverage read when asked to drop. I noticed Fehr get washed out quite a bit in run fits but I think his role was to take on a blocker if they met him in order for another guy to fill the lane. He also got washed out late in games because he rarely came off the field.
Can't really compare a 2nd team All-SBC LB to a guy who had over 500 tackles in his career when the ACC was completed loaded and not just a one team league: https://bceagles.com/sports/football/ro ... echly/1595

As for the quick twitch I am talking more about quickness and smoothness. Fehr is a really good player but he misses a good bit of tackles and is not great in pass coverage. He certainly gets lost in traffic a good bit and gets washed down like you said. However, if he tests like you are assuming then yes he could get drafted in the 6th or 7th round.

I don't think he is getting a NFL Combine invite so his pro day is key. Josh Thomas and Fehr are two players who if they test really well and look good in position drills they could go in the 6th or 7th round for sure.

Assuming all of our guys test well it would not be shocking if Evans and ADG go in the 85-140 range and then Thomas and Fehr sneak in the 200-255 range. It would be amazing to see 4 drafted players but those indeed need a strong pro day workout.
I was shocked that AJ Howard, Tae Hayes, and Austin Exford all stuck in some capacity in the NFL.

However I can compare Kuechly to Fehr because what most people are stating about Fehr's testing scores would put him in elite company, even in the NFL, at the inside linebacker position. If he ran a sub-4.5 40 he would instantly be one of the fastest timed inside backers in the league right now, even ahead of Luke who by all objective measures is one of the most athletic linebackers playing today. If Fehr runs a sub-4.5, and teams like his film, he will shoot up draft boards. It's been stated multiple times that scouts have been watching him for two years now. They, along with coaches and GM's, are the ones who matter. If they've been watching for that long and his testing matches what is being stated, it will cement his status wherever those scouts already value him.

As for Fehr missing tackles, I only saw that happen later in games after he's been taking on offensive linemen all day long. He had a better year in 2018 when Myquon Stout was playing and could hold up two offensive linemen at a time, allowing Fehr to flow naturally to the ball. 2019 saw him take on more blockers and eventually that's going to take a toll on anyone; we saw the same thing with Kuechly when Poe went down.

Do I think that Fehr is Kuechly? Absolutely not. However both play in a 3-4 currently and Fehr is being projected here to test as well as Kuechly did in almost every category. Kuechly is the Peyton Manning of the linebacker fraternity in the NFL so it's unfair to measure any college prospect against what he did coming out of Boston College or since he has been in the pros. Generational talent to say the least. But we can compare physical attributes and that's all i'm doing.
So basically you just said in 2019 he had a lesser year because he was exposed as having a weakness that Stout was able to mask so you could not see it so much. Believe it or not though some NFL opinions on Fehr improved a little this year from 2018 because he looked a little bit faster. Players need to get better as the game goes on and not wear down. Luke moves better than Jordan and was a beast at the highest level.

As for the other players Exford was a really good athlete playing behind two good ones. I don't think he made a roster but I know Coach Mike was telling NFL teams about him his senior year to keep an eye because he looked the part, tests well, and would run good enough to warrant a look on special teams. He ran 4.48 with a 36 1/2 VJ, 10'5 broad jump, and measured 6'0, 206 pounds.

Howard surprised me a little bit just because he was not very good on defense but he ran a 4.51 40 with pretty good shuttle times and has okay size. When you are a good tester from a good FBS team who starts teams will often keep you around. I felt like Howard was only kept by Arizona because of App connection with Wilks but he has bounced around practice squads of some others.

I watched Hayes more closely later his senior year and he looked better than Duck. I fully expected, like most everyone here, that Duck would be liked more early on but when I saw the verified numbers and the late tape on Hayes I realized he had a shot. I think I even said on here before the draft that he would have a better shot at making a team.
As far as Stout was concerned, I was just saying that it helps to have a true 0 tech in front to take on the center and guard. It wasn't to suggest that Fehr had a weakness but that his responsibilities changed in 2019 from 2018. I thought Fehr played well overall this year but like I said, he seemed to get caught in the wash late in games. But that has more to do with being tasked to take on offensive lineman in a way that a traditional 3-4 inside linebacker isn't asked to do; particularly someone as slight as App's ILB's contextually to the philosophy are.

Hayes seems to have the athleticism necessary to make it in the NFL. He's a smaller quick twitch guy who can cover these smaller, lightning quick receivers coming into the NFL now. Definitely serves a niche role. Will be interesting to see what teams decide to do with ADG as he will be able to match up with tight ends in coverage pretty well.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:00 am

ericsaid wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:43 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:04 pm

Fehr is not quick twitch enough? Not many Inside Linebackers would be considered "quick twitch". Luke Kuechly, one of the athletic freaks of the NFL, wouldn't hardly be looked at as "quick twitch". He is quick and relentless because of the cerebral nature within which he plays the game. He's one of the few guys whose head lines up with his athletic abilities and the result is a future Hall of Famer (which he would be if he retired today). Fehr may not be a Day One starter in the league but he held up in a 3-4 defenses without a true nose tackle while making play after play against P5 teams he played against.

His sideline to sideline coverage against UAB, including one very specific play where the running back got the ball in space and Fehr was in between the hashes, he changed direction and was to the spot with the running back in no time, dragging him down for like a one yard gain, if I remember correctly.

Fehr's draft status will depend on multiple things, but lets assume he runs a 4.59 40, jumps out of the building, jumps the length of the field, and does well on the 225. He would probably be drafted alone based on that. Throw his film in the mix and things people are going to want to see is how he diagnoses plays pre-snap, how he fits run gaps, how he takes on blockers, and how quickly he makes the right coverage read when asked to drop. I noticed Fehr get washed out quite a bit in run fits but I think his role was to take on a blocker if they met him in order for another guy to fill the lane. He also got washed out late in games because he rarely came off the field.
Can't really compare a 2nd team All-SBC LB to a guy who had over 500 tackles in his career when the ACC was completed loaded and not just a one team league: https://bceagles.com/sports/football/ro ... echly/1595

As for the quick twitch I am talking more about quickness and smoothness. Fehr is a really good player but he misses a good bit of tackles and is not great in pass coverage. He certainly gets lost in traffic a good bit and gets washed down like you said. However, if he tests like you are assuming then yes he could get drafted in the 6th or 7th round.

I don't think he is getting a NFL Combine invite so his pro day is key. Josh Thomas and Fehr are two players who if they test really well and look good in position drills they could go in the 6th or 7th round for sure.

Assuming all of our guys test well it would not be shocking if Evans and ADG go in the 85-140 range and then Thomas and Fehr sneak in the 200-255 range. It would be amazing to see 4 drafted players but those indeed need a strong pro day workout.
I was shocked that AJ Howard, Tae Hayes, and Austin Exford all stuck in some capacity in the NFL.

However I can compare Kuechly to Fehr because what most people are stating about Fehr's testing scores would put him in elite company, even in the NFL, at the inside linebacker position. If he ran a sub-4.5 40 he would instantly be one of the fastest timed inside backers in the league right now, even ahead of Luke who by all objective measures is one of the most athletic linebackers playing today. If Fehr runs a sub-4.5, and teams like his film, he will shoot up draft boards. It's been stated multiple times that scouts have been watching him for two years now. They, along with coaches and GM's, are the ones who matter. If they've been watching for that long and his testing matches what is being stated, it will cement his status wherever those scouts already value him.

As for Fehr missing tackles, I only saw that happen later in games after he's been taking on offensive linemen all day long. He had a better year in 2018 when Myquon Stout was playing and could hold up two offensive linemen at a time, allowing Fehr to flow naturally to the ball. 2019 saw him take on more blockers and eventually that's going to take a toll on anyone; we saw the same thing with Kuechly when Poe went down.

Do I think that Fehr is Kuechly? Absolutely not. However both play in a 3-4 currently and Fehr is being projected here to test as well as Kuechly did in almost every category. Kuechly is the Peyton Manning of the linebacker fraternity in the NFL so it's unfair to measure any college prospect against what he did coming out of Boston College or since he has been in the pros. Generational talent to say the least. But we can compare physical attributes and that's all i'm doing.
So basically you just said in 2019 he had a lesser year because he was exposed as having a weakness that Stout was able to mask so you could not see it so much. Believe it or not though some NFL opinions on Fehr improved a little this year from 2018 because he looked a little bit faster. Players need to get better as the game goes on and not wear down. Luke moves better than Jordan and was a beast at the highest level.

As for the other players Exford was a really good athlete playing behind two good ones. I don't think he made a roster but I know Coach Mike was telling NFL teams about him his senior year to keep an eye because he looked the part, tests well, and would run good enough to warrant a look on special teams. He ran 4.48 with a 36 1/2 VJ, 10'5 broad jump, and measured 6'0, 206 pounds.

Howard surprised me a little bit just because he was not very good on defense but he ran a 4.51 40 with pretty good shuttle times and has okay size. When you are a good tester from a good FBS team who starts teams will often keep you around. I felt like Howard was only kept by Arizona because of App connection with Wilks but he has bounced around practice squads of some others.

I watched Hayes more closely later his senior year and he looked better than Duck. I fully expected, like most everyone here, that Duck would be liked more early on but when I saw the verified numbers and the late tape on Hayes I realized he had a shot. I think I even said on here before the draft that he would have a better shot at making a team.
As far as Stout was concerned, I was just saying that it helps to have a true 0 tech in front to take on the center and guard. It wasn't to suggest that Fehr had a weakness but that his responsibilities changed in 2019 from 2018. I thought Fehr played well overall this year but like I said, he seemed to get caught in the wash late in games. But that has more to do with being tasked to take on offensive lineman in a way that a traditional 3-4 inside linebacker isn't asked to do; particularly someone as slight as App's ILB's contextually to the philosophy are.

Hayes seems to have the athleticism necessary to make it in the NFL. He's a smaller quick twitch guy who can cover these smaller, lightning quick receivers coming into the NFL now. Definitely serves a niche role. Will be interesting to see what teams decide to do with ADG as he will be able to match up with tight ends in coverage pretty well.
It also showed that Fehr needs LBs kept off him or he will have to work on that.

Yes, Hayes is more quick twitch and a smoother athlete than Duck. He was faster and quicker, as well as thicker. He is a good one.

ADG will likely be a WLB or hybrid safety, depending on the team, from what I'm hearing.

Mark this down. ADG and Evans both will be going to the NFL Combine. Fehr is 50/50 for it, depending on how many underclassmen declare.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:59 am

I agree on all of the above. ADG will earn a spot because he has proven his explosiveness, but he may be pegged into a hybrid role due to his size. Fehr needs to be working with a track guy ASAP to improve his stock, but he is a hard worker and may edge his way in. Evans has alot of things going for him, but it's a heavy class and he just doesn't have the tackle breaking to be considered a multidown back. He will carve out a role for himself as a scat and special teams specialist, and that is in need right now for the NFL. He will get his chance, I just hope it works out for him. Obviously there is risk in coming back for a senior year, but there is reward too, especially with a full season of national exposure on the table for App.
The Appalachian State

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:31 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:00 am
ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

It also showed that Fehr needs LBs kept off him or he will have to work on that.

Yes, Hayes is more quick twitch and a smoother athlete than Duck. He was faster and quicker, as well as thicker. He is a good one.

ADG will likely be a WLB or hybrid safety, depending on the team, from what I'm hearing.

Mark this down. ADG and Evans both will be going to the NFL Combine. Fehr is 50/50 for it, depending on how many underclassmen declare.
Three guys in the combine would be a good foot in the door for a bit of a pipeline to crop up.

Is there any interest in seeing how Marcus Williams Jr. does from Scouts? He seems to be more like Moore and has far more strength behind his pad level due to technique than I remember Moore having. He has similar speed with quite a bit of shake, similar to Moore as well. Just hard to play behind two guys who eventually make it to the league to get your shot.

Would also ask if scouts are beginning to notice Jackson and Cobb? Both guys look like they will test well when giving the shot as Juniors.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:33 am

appstatealum wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:59 am
I agree on all of the above. ADG will earn a spot because he has proven his explosiveness, but he may be pegged into a hybrid role due to his size. Fehr needs to be working with a track guy ASAP to improve his stock, but he is a hard worker and may edge his way in. Evans has alot of things going for him, but it's a heavy class and he just doesn't have the tackle breaking to be considered a multidown back. He will carve out a role for himself as a scat and special teams specialist, and that is in need right now for the NFL. He will get his chance, I just hope it works out for him. Obviously there is risk in coming back for a senior year, but there is reward too, especially with a full season of national exposure on the table for App.
If Breida can make it in the league, Evans may as well. It all depends on the situation he is either drafted or signs into though. My best guess for his best fit is a Shanahan style offense that favors his one cut and go style. He seems to be more fluid than Breida as well which should open some doors. Looks like he could be a fit in a Josh McDaniels style of offense as well; he enjoys tinkering and moving guys around to maximize their abilities (see Edelman, Amendola, James White, etc.).

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:38 am

ericsaid wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:33 am
appstatealum wrote:
If Breida can make it in the league, Evans may as well. It all depends on the situation he is either drafted or signs into though. My best guess for his best fit is a Shanahan style offense that favors his one cut and go style. He seems to be more fluid than Breida as well which should open some doors. Looks like he could be a fit in a Josh McDaniels style of offense as well; he enjoys tinkering and moving guys around to maximize their abilities (see Edelman, Amendola, James White, etc.).
I've always said that Evans reminded me of James White. I know James is a Superbowl MVP, but he is a good goal to reach for. Marcus Williams Jr is a physical runner and a pretty talented runner, but as good as he has been, he doesnt have any stand out traits. He is surprisingly thin if you meet him in person, but man, he runs with authority. I thunk if he wants it bad enough, he can get a camp invite and see what happens.

DiMarco has some real potential because of his frame and speed. He could pack on some more weight in an NFL S&C program. Cobb is not quite as fast as DiMarco, but is similar. This year is going to be big for these two.
The Appalachian State

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:11 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:31 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:00 am
ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:

Three guys in the combine would be a good foot in the door for a bit of a pipeline to crop up.

Is there any interest in seeing how Marcus Williams Jr. does from Scouts? He seems to be more like Moore and has far more strength behind his pad level due to technique than I remember Moore having. He has similar speed with quite a bit of shake, similar to Moore as well. Just hard to play behind two guys who eventually make it to the league to get your shot.

Would also ask if scouts are beginning to notice Jackson and Cobb? Both guys look like they will test well when giving the shot as Juniors.
Williams definitely is going to get looks. I know he is on their radar to watch this spring. Obviously, they notice young players when they stick out but for Cobb and the others they aren't going to be looking at them yet until they have a monster year. NFL teams basically look at seniors only unless the school tells them the underclassmen may declare or they are putting up big numbers. Nick Hampton is one who people will obviously notice because of flashes but nobody is going to watch him closely before his senior year unless the coaches tell them to or he starts jumping out and dominating about every quarter. They noticed Sean Price as a freshman but he was the best player on the field and that's about what you have to do if you aren't a P5 guy.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:57 pm

Either you guys can't comprehend well or you just don't give a flip. The request was to stop quoting and just state your response. I lose interest when I have to scroll thru so many quotes to read a new remark.
Bring Your A Game!

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:06 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:38 am
ericsaid wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:33 am
appstatealum wrote:
I've always said that Evans reminded me of James White. I know James is a Superbowl MVP, but he is a good goal to reach for. Marcus Williams Jr is a physical runner and a pretty talented runner, but as good as he has been, he doesnt have any stand out traits. He is surprisingly thin if you meet him in person, but man, he runs with authority. I thunk if he wants it bad enough, he can get a camp invite and see what happens.

DiMarco has some real potential because of his frame and speed. He could pack on some more weight in an NFL S&C program. Cobb is not quite as fast as DiMarco, but is similar. This year is going to be big for these two.
As far as following players go, I've had a bit of a man crush on seeing what Williams Jr. could do with 20+ touches a game. He punches well above his weight and reminds me of that smaller boxer that moves up a weight class but still packs a punch heavier than the dude who has to cut weight to make the weigh in. You see him run like a shifty scat back type and then when he gets into a pile you see that pile get pushed at least two or three yards every time. It could just be that he is going to be good at this level but I wouldn't be surprised to see him break out against Wisconsin and Wake Forest next season, opening a lot of eyes in the process.

It was very telling that when things weren't working with Evans, Williams Jr. would come in and begin to pick-up those yards you expect to see out of a 3 down back. Evans could be hit or miss and would often need more space, but Williams Jr. could come in like he did against South Carolina, find those seams, bounce off of some guys, make a few others miss, and get those 4 to 8 yards that Evans was only getting 1 to 2 on.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:13 pm

[/quote]

Williams definitely is going to get looks. I know he is on their radar to watch this spring. Obviously, they notice young players when they stick out but for Cobb and the others they aren't going to be looking at them yet until they have a monster year. NFL teams basically look at seniors only unless the school tells them the underclassmen may declare or they are putting up big numbers. Nick Hampton is one who people will obviously notice because of flashes but nobody is going to watch him closely before his senior year unless the coaches tell them to or he starts jumping out and dominating about every quarter. They noticed Sean Price as a freshman but he was the best player on the field and that's about what you have to do if you aren't a P5 guy.
[/quote]

Nick Hampton, if he could pack on 40 lbs, would be an ideal 3-4 pass rusher and coverage guy in the NFL. Not sure what his frame is like or if he could maintain his athleticism at 6'3 240 to 255. Would be very Bruce Irvin like in his build.

It will be interesting to see what he looks like in a full-time role.

My question about Cobb and Jackson revolved more around their apparent athleticism. Jackson clearly packed on some muscle mass in the offseason of 2019. Go back and watch the Georgia Southern game from 2018 where he had to come in for Fehr compared to how he looked in 2019. Went from a skinny freshman looking kid to someone who looked like they possessed the body type of a major college football player. I expect he will test really well.

Williams has a chance to take off this season. Not sure what the rotation will look like with Peoples but my hope is that Williams Jr. is the 20 to 40 touch guy like Jalin Moore was while Peoples is brought in as a rotational back. Would still like to see Peoples get a bit more definition in the same mold as Moore had. At his height, bulking up to 220 shouldn't result in a loss in speed or mobility.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:14 pm

I’m one of MWJrs biggest fans. His brother often sits near me and would always hear me calling for MWJr to come in and “Close the game” behind Jalin and Evans. I would always cheer big for him and his brother went out of his way to introduce me to Marcus after a game. I still run into his family at games and they come give me hugs/high 5s. I call him “The Closer”! Haha

As much as I love him as an App Player, I try to be objective with my analysis of these kids for the next level.
The Appalachian State

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:46 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:14 pm
I’m one of MWJrs biggest fans. His brother often sits near me and would always hear me calling for MWJr to come in and “Close the game” behind Jalin and Evans. I would always cheer big for him and his brother went out of his way to introduce me to Marcus after a game. I still run into his family at games and they come give me hugs/high 5s. I call him “The Closer”! Haha

As much as I love him as an App Player, I try to be objective with my analysis of these kids for the next level.
Production aside, I'm not sure what there is to like about Jalin Moore that you wouldn't like about Marcus Williams. I like Moore but I always thought he was a stiff runner and not as fluid of an athlete even if he had power. It looks like, in a much smaller sample size and no inside access (on my part), that Williams Jr. has more burst, wiggle, fluidity, and runs with the same power as Moore did. Will be interesting to see if he can prove this with more touches but he looks like one of the best all around backs I've seen in this recent run of talented guys that have come through. Hope he gets his shot to take.

He may not be the same workout warrior as Moore but I think his technique utilizes the power he possesses to more capacity.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:50 pm

One thing that needs to be seen is how Williams looks after 15-20 carries week to week. He will certainly be on the radar but how he develops in the off-season and what he shows as the #1 back next year will be key for his stock. What is crazy that I think Williams could run for 1,000 yards next year but he is probably what the 3rd or 4th fastest among our backs? Shows how much speed we have.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”