Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Underdog Dynasty Presence?

hotrod2001
School: Appalachian State

Underdog Dynasty Presence?

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:51 am

I try to go to Underdog Dynasty often as it seems like a good place to get coverage of college football teams not named Ohio State, Oklahoma, Alabama or Georgia...but it seems like we're not really on there anymore. I don't recall seeing any mention of the Conference title game and still nothing about the NO Bowl. Did we have a guy who quit?

I know like UD is made with willing contributors but it just seems like we dropped off of it since autumn and that's concerning.

booneboy92

Re: Underdog Dynasty Presence?

Unread post by booneboy92 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:55 am

Simple explanation... We’re not Underdogs anymore!!! 😆

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:05 pm

They mentioned the CCG here, but that's the Louisiana writer.

The Camilla and Cure bowls are mentioned. I don't think UAB has a writer and the last article about App, from our writer RadioGuyAC, was Nov 8th.

citroknight
School: UCF

Unread post by citroknight » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:19 pm

It's largely dependent on having someone from the right fan bases who has the passion and willingness to do the work for free. I almost joined in as a contributor for UCF content but couldn't stick with it so another guy did it instead and he did a pretty great job and I think eventually joined the UCF SB nation once we got our own.

beav910

Unread post by beav910 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:02 pm

We used to have a presence on the site but as citroknight said we don’t have anyone from App or the sunbelt for that matter to consistently write. Sad because I used to go on UD and listen to the podcast all the time
Appalachian State Alumnus :: Graphic Designer

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:39 pm

Texas State, Georgia Southern, Louisiana and stAte appear to have contributors. I know volunteering for that sort of thing is a thing of passion, but seeing it's a platform which is giving the G5's preferential treatment, its a shame we're not on there. I get it, but still RSS some of the WSJ stories or something.

citroknight
School: UCF

Unread post by citroknight » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:10 am

hotrod2001 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:39 pm
Texas State, Georgia Southern, Louisiana and stAte appear to have contributors. I know volunteering for that sort of thing is a thing of passion, but seeing it's a platform which is giving the G5's preferential treatment, its a shame we're not on there. I get it, but still RSS some of the WSJ stories or something.
I think someone from here should definitely give it a try. They'd probably ask for you to write a few fan posts first as a sort of audition. But it's definitely a good platform because I still go there to read the articles so it helps spread awareness of G5 teams to fans of other G5 teams. You all follow App stuff closely but having an App presence on there would get the other G5 fans morr familiar with App news.

WarApp

Unread post by WarApp » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:15 am

There are plenty of good writers with a passion for App State sports who COULD do this. The problem is the expectation they (or anyone) should do it for free. The content will generate traffic, which will generate revenue. I have a fundamental objection to doing anything for free that generates money for someone else, passion project or not.

NashvilleNeer

Unread post by NashvilleNeer » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:09 pm

I don't understand them. Go look at their podcasts and you see no mention of anything sun belt related. With the year we had, there's no reason to not be talking about App, but seems like they do not.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:50 pm

WarApp wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:15 am
There are plenty of good writers with a passion for App State sports who COULD do this. The problem is the expectation they (or anyone) should do it for free. The content will generate traffic, which will generate revenue. I have a fundamental objection to doing anything for free that generates money for someone else, passion project or not.
Is monetization of this not possible? I wouldn't mind writing for "free". However any money that came in could go to promoting the articles on Twitter. More money coming in means higher payment to promotions which means more eyes, assuming that the writing is done well and people enjoy the content. A YouTube channel could follow, of course. However there is an issue with monetizing content owned by a licensed program and what they may or may not allow.

Sent an e-mail to someone with SB Nation to see what the process is to get a spot.

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:03 pm

IIRC we had a dedicated guy who covered us on there but he was one of the Uncle Tom types. Went to App but was a Hole fan.

Edit: RadioguyAC was his handle.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:09 pm

NO.2 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:03 pm
IIRC we had a dedicated guy who covered us on there but he was one of the Uncle Tom types. Went to App but was a Hole fan.

Sent an e-mail to the contact listed for SB Nation. Not sure if I'll hear back. Haven't really looking that deep into the process of setting a site up or just "Fanposting" but hopefully they can clarify.

People find it strange when you're only an App State fan yet I don't follow any other school in football or basketball.

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:19 am

ericsaid wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:09 pm
NO.2 wrote:

Sent an e-mail to the contact listed for SB Nation. Not sure if I'll hear back. Haven't really looking that deep into the process of setting a site up or just "Fanposting" but hopefully they can clarify.

People find it strange when you're only an App State fan yet I don't follow any other school in football or basketball.
I didn’t grow up with college sports as a part of my life, so I’m App 100%. I don’t think I could even find the time to follow anyone else. It’s odd when someone isn’t a fan of their own school.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:32 am

VNova wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:19 am
ericsaid wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:09 pm
NO.2 wrote:

I didn’t grow up with college sports as a part of my life, so I’m App 100%. I don’t think I could even find the time to follow anyone else. It’s odd when someone isn’t a fan of their own school.
I grew up going to App State games. Around the time I really started having an interest and understanding the intricacy of the game was when my dad began buying season tickets. My brother was also a student at App at the time.

As for your second note, I actually ended up going to ECU. Having no ties to the eastern part of the state other than a desire to get away from home, I followed App as closely as one could at the time but never really cultivated a caring for ECU athletics. However, one thing I've seen at all college campus' in North Carolina is this affinity for UNC basketball and Duke basketball, albeit to a lesser extent. I suppose those "fans" are more fans in the sense of a Pro team than they are a college fan, in a sense.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”