Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Roof out

Appstate88
School: Appalachian State

Re: Roof out

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:05 am

IMO, the 3-4 hybrid defense NW put in at App, SS took to the Stink, BB improved at App and TR adjusted to, is the best scheme for the G5 level we play in and supports the type of athlete we can successfully recruit. Defenders who are not real big but are fast ballers that hit hard, tackle well and are aggressive at the point of attack.

Whoever is DC, I believe must be able run this current scheme.
Last edited by Appstate88 on Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:06 am

So how is everyone gonna feel when the DC is inevitably App Guy Dale Jones?

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:08 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:06 am
If it is him, he will certainly be under the fan base microscope.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:30 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Similar to the Ted Roof hire. But maybe more. Roof’s best days may have been behind him, but he had been a successful DC at some point.
Jones only stint at DC wasn’t really successful.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:52 am

The Rock wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:30 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Similar to the Ted Roof hire. But maybe more. Roof’s best days may have been behind him, but he had been a successful DC at some point.
Look I love Shawn Clark and I loved Jones as DL coach but if Jones is hired as DC and we take massive steps back I would want him demoted after a year if we are giving up 35-40+ per game. I want it to work out but just because I like them does not mean I will not want changes made whether it is reassigning someone or firing someone I like. Winning and building this program the right way is our top priority and Jones has to produce or we will be on him big time.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:12 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:52 am
The Rock wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
Look I love Shawn Clark and I loved Jones as DL coach but if Jones is hired as DC and he does not show substantial improvement and we start to lose or give up 35-40 a game then we have to get in ears to force change. I will give him a chance but if he shows he does not know what he is doing again this time we need to force quick change. I want it to work out but just because I like them does not mean I will not want changes made whether it is reassigning someone or firing someone I like. Winning and building this program the right way is our top priority and Jones has to produce or we will be on him big time.
Are you serious with this comment?

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:18 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:12 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:52 am
The Rock wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
Look I love Shawn Clark and I loved Jones as DL coach but if Jones is hired as DC and we take massive steps back I would want him demoted after a year if we are giving up 35-40+ per game. I want it to work out but just because I like them does not mean I will not want changes made whether it is reassigning someone or firing someone I like. Winning and building this program the right way is our top priority and Jones has to produce or we will be on him big time.
Are you serious with this comment?
I changed wording a bit but I feel like you give a new coordinator a full year and then evaluate things. If we are giving up 35-40+ in a year and we are taking major steps back then I would want change after the first season. Last time he was not successful but I like Dale and hope he does better if given the job. We are getting better talent, according to 247 and everyone else, so I don't expect massive drop offs. I prefer we name Gas as DC but in this first year I'm going to completely trust Clark. I just don't think because someone is well liked or an App guy we don't look to improve if they are struggling after a year.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:46 pm

I just find it amusing on your choice of phrase and your presumption that you are in a position to make demands based of your expectations. Sure, I guess you can make your voice heard. Seems like a bunch of keyboard warrior speak. It’s not my job to evaluate. I can observe, I can form an opinion, and I can comment on situations from a pragmatic position of cause and affect. I just find your bravado to be a bit out of touch with reality.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:07 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:46 pm
I just find it amusing on your choice of phrase and your presumption that you are in a position to make demands based of your expectations. Sure, I guess you can make your voice heard. Seems like a bunch of keyboard warrior speak. It’s not my job to evaluate. I can observe, I can form an opinion, and I can comment on situations from a pragmatic position of cause and affect. I just find your bravado to be a bit out of touch with reality.
You are being kind. Anyway , Ted Roof is a good coach and a good man. I wish him every success unless of course it’s against us.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:10 pm

At least we knew Ted Roof was the DC before some called for him to be fired. Jones is an “App guy” and we don’t even know he’s going to be the DC and folks are all ready calling for him to be demoted. It’s also odd that for all hatred of Ted Roof early in the season I sure don’t see a lot of folks on this thread saying there glad he’s gone. I think the strongest language I saw was something like “doesn’t bother me”. I will be glad to have Dale back, we need the stability. I wish Roof would have stayed, we have no one on staff that can match his experience.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:21 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:10 pm
At least we knew Ted Roof was the DC before some called for him to be fired. Jones is an “App guy” and we don’t even know he’s going to be the DC and folks are all ready calling for him to be demoted. It’s also odd that for all hatred of Ted Roof early in the season I sure don’t see a lot of folks on this thread saying there glad he’s gone. I think the strongest language I saw was something like “doesn’t bother me”. I will be glad to have Dale back, we need the stability. I wish Roof would have stayed, we have no one on staff that can match his experience.
So to echo this sentiment, let us take a minute and reflect on the meltdown that occurred after week 2. Everything was Roof’s fault. The change in personnel was never considered as a factor. I am mentioning this now just so everyone can think about it during the off season Whoever, is the DC, is replacing 5 dynamic performers on defense in Scott, Fehr, ADG, Thomas and Franklin. Yes we have some quality players stepping in but they haven’t been starters. There should be some expected regression in the beginning.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:23 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
I never said I would have any say specifically. I'm just saying that we, meaning alumni and boosters, should definitely give our opinions and make our voices heard if things aren't going well. I'm sure Shawn would make adjustments but we all know when someone is your friend you can be a little blind to it. Same thing kind of happened with Jerry Moore. As much as I loved him he almost lost his job a couple times for the results dropping. I remember hearing Ken Peacock even say, kind of joking, that in 2005 Jerry needed to just about win the national title or go far in the playoffs or he would look to making some changes. Peacock was going to make changes in football if we did not at least get back to the playoffs and we just happened to win the national title that year. Boosters and alumni started getting loud wanting some changes and he listened.

Nobody wants this program to win more than the boosters, alumni, and particularly the types who read this board. Can I by myself make demands? No. Can WE as a collective group approach Gillin and Clark if we see something? We can and we should. They still need to make level headed decisions because I'm sure some want to make knee jerk reactions and you have to let things play out but still it is good for boosters to at least make their voices heard.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:26 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:23 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
I never said I would have any say specifically. I'm just saying that we, meaning alumni and boosters, should definitely give our opinions and make our voices heard if things aren't going well. I'm sure Shawn would make adjustments but we all know when someone is your friend you can be a little blind to it. Same thing kind of happened with Jerry Moore. As much as I loved him he almost lost his job a couple times for the results dropping. I remember hearing Ken Peacock even say, kind of joking, that in 2005 Jerry needed to just about win the national title or go far in the playoffs or he would look to making some changes. Peacock was going to make changes in football if we did not at least get back to the playoffs and we just happened to win the national title that year. Boosters and alumni started getting loud wanting some changes and he listened.

Nobody wants this program to win more than the boosters, alumni, and particularly the types who read this board. Can I by myself make demands? No. Can WE as a collective group approach Gillin and Clark if we see something? We can and we should. They still need to make level headed decisions because I'm sure some want to make knee jerk reactions and you have to let things play out but still it is good for boosters to at least make their voices heard.
I would say that the guys whose livelihoods depend on the programs success care more than you.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:32 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:21 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
So to echo this sentiment, let us take a minute and reflect on the meltdown that occurred after week 2. Everything was Roof’s fault. The change in personnel was never considered as a factor. I am mentioning this now just so everyone can think about it during the off season Whoever, is the DC, is replacing 5 dynamic performers on defense in Scott, Fehr, ADG, Thomas and Franklin. Yes we have some quality players stepping in but they haven’t been starters. There should be some expected regression in the beginning.
I agree 100%. You can't let 1-2 or even 3 weeks dictate a decision. You have to let things play out. Just because we like Dale Jones does not mean he should keep a job for years while performing bad at it. When I said quick I meant after one year. We aren't a program who has to be overhauled and is lacking in talent. It should not take someone new 2 or 3 years to develop the defense into a top unit. We are already there and they will just have to shake rust off and get use to the new role as a starter.

We are replacing several key players on defense but after the new starters get their feet wet I do expect us to be good on defense. The guys taking over all played a lot this year and even in critical times. They are talented players and can certainly end up having one of the best units in the SBC for sure by season's end.

Like I said about this past team I will say about next year. We have some questions to answer for sure but we have the potential to be SBC Champs and have a magical season. After finishing this season ranked I certainly feel like we have the talent to remain there in 2020. Now looking ahead to 2021 though I know we have major questions and I would not be shocked if we took a step back and lost 3 or 4 games, depending on how tough the schedule is. 2021 will definitely be a rebuild when you consider how many starters we will lose.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:35 pm

Why do you keep arguing a point that isn’t even relevant at this time?

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:37 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:26 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

I would say that the guys whose livelihoods depend on the programs success care more than you.
I know they care but they care because they are being paid by us and they want to move up the ranks and make more money. Coaches who aren't alumni of a program aren't going to be 100% loyal to the program above all in just a year or two. I feel like Clark is the one guy who wants to be here and is not going to just leave for a good raise elsewhere. When another school offers them a lot more money they are going to bolt but we will still be here and care deeply.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:40 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:35 pm
Why do you keep arguing a point that isn’t even relevant at this time?
I agree we have to give it time. I am not going to pull against anyone. If Shawn brings them in I'll trust it and obviously believe DG and the rest of us have to give it a little time.

We are a program who is not in a rebuild. We should be a very attractive job for any coach because we have talent and that is the one thing every coach says they need in order to be a good coach. We are the most talented SBC team for 2020. We just have to prove it on the field again.

Do you guys have any indication on what day we should hear something on staff changes? Is it for sure going to be this week?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:52 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:37 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:26 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

I know they care but they care because they are being paid by us and they want to move up the ranks and make more money. Coaches who aren't alumni of a program aren't going to be 100% loyal to the program above all in just a year or two. I feel like Clark is the one guy who wants to be here and is not going to just leave for a good raise elsewhere. When another school offers them a lot more money they are going to bolt but we will still be here and care deeply.
Bless your heart.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:04 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
I’d be surprised if we handed over the defense to a guy who failed at it at a lower level. We are a Top 20 team, we need to have a worthy candidate. I’m all for him being here as a position coach.
The Appalachian State

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:10 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
I think he came around to what being at Appalachian is all about to a degree, but it was a real struggle early on for him here and tensions were high. The issues we were having with Roof behind the scenes were manifesting on the field. He made the move to the booth, he was humbled, and it helped all around and things started clicking. I don’t think he is a bad guy or a bad coach, but coaching at our level with tour history of success was something new to him and he struggled with it. I wasn’t a big fan of his “prevent defense” that didn’t prevent much, either. So, I for one, was kind of glad to see him move on. He still didn’t quite adopt the Appalachian way (nor did Drink) and that will always concern me.
The Appalachian State

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”