Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Roof out

Yosef84

Re: Roof out

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:19 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:37 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:26 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:23 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:46 pm
I just find it amusing on your choice of phrase and your presumption that you are in a position to make demands based of your expectations. Sure, I guess you can make your voice heard. Seems like a bunch of keyboard warrior speak. It’s not my job to evaluate. I can observe, I can form an opinion, and I can comment on situations from a pragmatic position of cause and affect. I just find your bravado to be a bit out of touch with reality.
I never said I would have any say specifically. I'm just saying that we, meaning alumni and boosters, should definitely give our opinions and make our voices heard if things aren't going well. I'm sure Shawn would make adjustments but we all know when someone is your friend you can be a little blind to it. Same thing kind of happened with Jerry Moore. As much as I loved him he almost lost his job a couple times for the results dropping. I remember hearing Ken Peacock even say, kind of joking, that in 2005 Jerry needed to just about win the national title or go far in the playoffs or he would look to making some changes. Peacock was going to make changes in football if we did not at least get back to the playoffs and we just happened to win the national title that year. Boosters and alumni started getting loud wanting some changes and he listened.

Nobody wants this program to win more than the boosters, alumni, and particularly the types who read this board. Can I by myself make demands? No. Can WE as a collective group approach Gillin and Clark if we see something? We can and we should. They still need to make level headed decisions because I'm sure some want to make knee jerk reactions and you have to let things play out but still it is good for boosters to at least make their voices heard.
I would say that the guys whose livelihoods depend on the programs success care more than you.
I know they care but they care because they are being paid by us and they want to move up the ranks and make more money. Coaches who aren't alumni of a program aren't going to be 100% loyal to the program above all in just a year or two. I feel like Clark is the one guy who wants to be here and is not going to just leave for a good raise elsewhere. When another school offers them a lot more money they are going to bolt but we will still be here and care deeply.
I definitely believe the coaching staff and players would be at the top of the list of those who want App to win. Yes, the coaches are getting paid and want to excel in their professions, but the people who go into coaching as a profession are generally competitors by nature. Before coaching, they were players (usually) and some of them played here at App. Those guys LIVE App football and I find it hard to believe that even avid fans want to win more than they do.

NewApp
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:24 pm

When you job is on the line, you likely care more than most. Been there. My payroll check or prospect of none, determined my allegiance for the most part, over previous loyalty. Got to put food on the table and a roof over our heads.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:02 pm

Frankly, I don't give a dam if we run a Wide Tackle 6 or a Split 6 (that's blow some minds, including our own) as long as we are the best at it. Let the coaches coach, the players play, and the fans just cheer. Whatever our coaches decide, I'm in 100%.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:30 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:19 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:46 pm
I just find it amusing on your choice of phrase and your presumption that you are in a position to make demands based of your expectations. Sure, I guess you can make your voice heard. Seems like a bunch of keyboard warrior speak. It’s not my job to evaluate. I can observe, I can form an opinion, and I can comment on situations from a pragmatic position of cause and affect. I just find your bravado to be a bit out of touch with reality.
I never said I would have any say specifically. I'm just saying that we, meaning alumni and boosters, should definitely give our opinions and make our voices heard if things aren't going well. I'm sure Shawn would make adjustments but we all know when someone is your friend you can be a little blind to it. Same thing kind of happened with Jerry Moore. As much as I loved him he almost lost his job a couple times for the results dropping. I remember hearing Ken Peacock even say, kind of joking, that in 2005 Jerry needed to just about win the national title or go far in the playoffs or he would look to making some changes. Peacock was going to make changes in football if we did not at least get back to the playoffs and we just happened to win the national title that year. Boosters and alumni started getting loud wanting some changes and he listened.

Nobody wants this program to win more than the boosters, alumni, and particularly the types who read this board. Can I by myself make demands? No. Can WE as a collective group approach Gillin and Clark if we see something? We can and we should. They still need to make level headed decisions because I'm sure some want to make knee jerk reactions and you have to let things play out but still it is good for boosters to at least make their voices heard.
I would say that the guys whose livelihoods depend on the programs success care more than you.
I know they care but they care because they are being paid by us and they want to move up the ranks and make more money. Coaches who aren't alumni of a program aren't going to be 100% loyal to the program above all in just a year or two. I feel like Clark is the one guy who wants to be here and is not going to just leave for a good raise elsewhere. When another school offers them a lot more money they are going to bolt but we will still be here and care deeply.
I definitely believe the coaching staff and players would be at the top of the list of those who want App to win. Yes, the coaches are getting paid and want to excel in their professions, but the people who go into coaching as a profession are generally competitors by nature. Before coaching, they were players (usually) and some of them played here at App. Those guys LIVE App football and I find it hard to believe that even avid fans want to win more than they do.
They do even more than avid fans at the moment but only while getting paid. My point is that when Ted Roof just left he won't care what App State does but we are still here and will. His love just ended because the check just ended. Say I grew up a huge Eagles fan but the Cowboys offer me a better job I would obviously go to Dallas and become a Cowboy but the minute the Eagles offer me to come I would leave to go be with the team I love. I would still not hate the Eagles because of my previous love for them. Shawn Clark actually cares more than any fan or other coach right now because he just got his dream job. For these others it is just a job and they are looking to move up.

FYI, Roof is in for a rude awakening. He is going to Vandy who has very little talent on defense and they won what 3 games. I think we could have won 9 with their schedule. He is leaving a top 20 defense for one that will truly test how much of an impact he had on ours. We will find out if Roof still has it or just made adjustments and Gas had as much say as some of us are hearing he did.

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:41 pm

"We will find out if Roof still has it or just made adjustments and Gas had as much say as some of us are hearing he did."

LMAO

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:16 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:30 pm
Yosef84 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

They do even more than avid fans at the moment but only while getting paid. My point is that when Ted Roof just left he won't care what App State does but we are still here and will. His love just ended because the check just ended. Say I grew up a huge Eagles fan but the Cowboys offer me a better job I would obviously go to Dallas and become a Cowboy but the minute the Eagles offer me to come I would leave to go be with the team I love. I would still not hate the Eagles because of my previous love for them. Shawn Clark actually cares more than any fan or other coach right now because he just got his dream job. For these others it is just a job and they are looking to move up.

FYI, Roof is in for a rude awakening. He is going to Vandy who has very little talent on defense and they won what 3 games. I think we could have won 9 with their schedule. He is leaving a top 20 defense for one that will truly test how much of an impact he had on ours. We will find out if Roof still has it or just made adjustments and Gas had as much say as some of us are hearing he did.
Roof was the head coach at Duke...I doubt he's in for much of a rude awakening.

Just hope his son stays at App because he looks like he could be a great player.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:20 am

Ted Roof earned his paycheck. He will earn it at Vandy. It seems to me that he doesn’t get all the positions he does if he isn’t highly thought of in coaching circles. Time to say thank you and wish him well. Moving on here.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:35 am

ericsaid wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:16 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Just hope his son stays at App because he looks like he could be a great player.
That is true. I'm just talking you would think going from the SBC to SEC that you would go to a defense with more NFL talent and that is not the case. Vanderbilt will truly test if he can get the best out of the defense or if he does what is expected by any coach.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:41 am

Cro-Magnon App wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:02 pm
Frankly, I don't give a dam if we run a Wide Tackle 6 or a Split 6 (that's blow some minds, including our own) as long as we are the best at it. Let the coaches coach, the players play, and the fans just cheer. Whatever our coaches decide, I'm in 100%.

We all should agree with that instead of playing arm chair quarterback with 0 years of coaching Div I college football experience. If we knew more than the coaches, we would be coaching in their place. Some just get off on that and some say that is what message boards are for.
Google SUX

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:33 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:35 am
ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

That is true. I'm just talking you would think going from the SBC to SEC that you would go to a defense with more NFL talent and that is not the case. Vanderbilt will truly test if he can get the best out of the defense or if he does what is expected by any coach.
Roof is a quality coach and seems like a good guy. Vanderbilt could go out and get Belichek and I think they'd still struggle in the SEC.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:42 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:33 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:

Roof is a quality coach and seems like a good guy. Vanderbilt could go out and get Belichek and I think they'd still struggle in the SEC.
The defense gave up 31.8 per game last year. Not very good but not awful. Average defense. Our defense compared to the SBC was very stacked. My question would be does he improve it down to say 25-27 a game range or do they get worse or not improvement. They were abysmal on offense despite having talent. They just had awful luck at QB and were not well coached on play calling.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:57 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:42 pm
ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

The defense gave up 31.8 per game last year. Not very good but not awful. Average defense. Our defense compared to the SBC was very stacked. My question would be does he improve it down to say 25-27 a game range or do they get worse or not improvement. They were abysmal on offense despite having talent. They just had awful luck at QB and were not well coached on play calling.
Spot on about their QBs and play calling but that RB Ke'Shawn Vaughn was an absolute STUD
FREQS AND GEEKS!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:07 pm

NavyApp wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:57 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:

Spot on about their QBs and play calling but that RB Ke'Shawn Vaughn was an absolute STUD
That's why I said they have some talent on offense but bad luck on QB. They have a WR, RB, and TE who could all get drafted.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:00 pm

As with any coach that comes here and leaves, unless you were an App grad or considered part of the App family, once you leave campus, you are dead to me.
The Appalachian State

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:06 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:00 pm
As with any coach that comes here and leaves, unless you were an App grad or considered part of the App family, once you leave campus, you are dead to me.
LOL. I don't hate them but I won't follow or really care what happens there. I know what Louisville did only because I follow D1 football and later in the year I would look to see who might be ranked that we have to compete with to move up. I don't pull for and follow even our own like Elliott, Satt, etc. I don't pull against them but what happens at their schools does not matter to me.

DoesntEvenGoHere

Unread post by DoesntEvenGoHere » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:12 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:06 pm
appstatealum wrote:
LOL. I don't hate them but I won't follow or really care what happens there. I know what Louisville did only because I follow D1 football and later in the year I would look to see who might be ranked that we have to compete with to move up. I don't pull for and follow even our own like Elliott, Satt, etc. I don't pull against them but what happens at their schools does not matter to me.
Satterfield isn't dead to AppStateAlum, Drinkwitz is...Bryan Brown is...Ted Roof is...etc. etc. Satterfield is an App alum & a part of the App State family.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:38 pm

DoesntEvenGoHere wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:12 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
Satterfield isn't dead to AppStateAlum, Drinkwitz is...Bryan Brown is...Ted Roof is...etc. etc. Satterfield is an App alum & a part of the App State family.
He should not be dead to anyone and no coach is dead to me. I mean they could come back later on. I just don't worry about what they are doing. Yes, Satt is an alum but right now he has poached our recruits, tried and not been successful at poaching some others, offers guys we offer, etc. He is a Mountaineer by degree but right now he is 100% loyal to the Cardinal. He is no more worried about our results than Bryan Brown is. In fact, both of them probably care about the same in that they have kids on the team they coached and recruited but whether we win or lose is not their problem. Just like how he does at Louisville does not effect us in any way.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:42 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

Vanderbilt's best defensive improvement may be with their offense, then. Can only give a defense so many opportunities. What did their defensive efficiency look like?

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:09 am

ericsaid wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:42 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:

Vanderbilt's best defensive improvement may be with their offense, then. Can only give a defense so many opportunities. What did their defensive efficiency look like?
Def Pass EFF was 151.8 and they were #118. Very low in that end. It sounded like their front 4 was the strong part of the defense.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:43 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:38 pm
DoesntEvenGoHere wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:12 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
He should not be dead to anyone and no coach is dead to me. I mean they could come back later on. I just don't worry about what they are doing. Yes, Satt is an alum but right now he has poached our recruits, tried and not been successful at poaching some others, offers guys we offer, etc. He is a Mountaineer by degree but right now he is 100% loyal to the Cardinal. He is no more worried about our results than Bryan Brown is. In fact, both of them probably care about the same in that they have kids on the team they coached and recruited but whether we win or lose is not their problem. Just like how he does at Louisville does not effect us in any way.
Exactly. Satterfield was a loyal Mountaineer bleeding black and gold until he was offered $6M or whatever it was. Guess it shows everybody has his/her price.

Having said that, I hope in a decade or two he comes back as an AD or at least in the athletic administration somewhere. He knows the culture more than most.
Google SUX

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”