Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Football Staff

Appster99
School: Appalachian State

Re: Football Staff

Unread post by Appster99 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:35 pm

The only scenario where we don't see regular coaching turnover is if we start losing. The latter can certainly lead to the former, but if we manage to keep winning there is no way coaches are going to stay in Boone for long. If you do not prove to be a good coach you really need to be gone, thus more turnover. I want coaches leaving because they are successful and in demand, not a failure. Until we can afford to pay like a P5 we are going to be a stepping stone. The GaSo fans who brag about their coach not being stolen away are blinded by their own ignorance. Nobody will steal you if you aren't desirable! As long as we have the good fortune of hiring good coaches to maintain our success, good luck to you when you move on to a job that will allow you to better support your family.

appstate5

Unread post by appstate5 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:47 pm

Another defensive hire posted on ASU webpage: Football Adds Cortney Braswell as Assistant Coach

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:04 pm

appstate5 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:47 pm
Another defensive hire posted on ASU webpage: Football Adds Cortney Braswell as Assistant Coach
Braswell is coming to App from Louisville. Guessing Satt recommended CB to Clark.
Last edited by moonshine on Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:08 pm

There's a good follow up to that in the other thread. Charges were dismissed. It was a misunderstanding.
WE ARE YOSEF!

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:11 pm

moonshine wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:04 pm
appstate5 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:47 pm
Braswell is coming to App from Louisville. Guessing Satt recommended CB to Clark.

I believe in 2nd chances but not a fan of this:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 595252001/
Charges were dropped: https://www.courier-journal.com/story/s ... 078384001/

Gratefulneer

Unread post by Gratefulneer » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:56 pm

In terms of Braswell all we can do is hope for the best. I would assume Jones has seen something in him. He may have also been pushed from UofL and Jones thought it would be a good scoop.

I’m curious as to why no one is talking about Lance Ware. This guy was a stud at Shelby H.S. I’m assuming he’s being retained due to the fact that he tweeted he was on the recruiting trail this morning. My question is what role do you all think he will play this season?

MountaineerKidd

Unread post by MountaineerKidd » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:05 pm

Mark DeBastiani announced as defensive assistant. Was at App in the mid 90s as well

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:05 pm

Next defensive hire: Mark DeBastiani from CMU
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:10 pm

Gratefulneer wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:56 pm
In terms of Braswell all we can do is hope for the best. I would assume Jones has seen something in him. He may have also been pushed from UofL and Jones thought it would be a good scoop.

I’m curious as to why no one is talking about Lance Ware. This guy was a stud at Shelby H.S. I’m assuming he’s being retained due to the fact that he tweeted he was on the recruiting trail this morning. My question is what role do you all think he will play this season?
I've seen Ware's name thrown out a few times on here by a couple of folks with contacts. I don't know him personally but, based on what I've read, I would be surprised if he doesn't wind up on the staff.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:13 pm

Gratefulneer wrote:

I don’t know if Ware’s role gets solidified until we get a coach in place with some ST experience at the college level.

ClickClackApp

Unread post by ClickClackApp » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:19 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:13 pm

I don’t know if Ware’s role gets solidified until we get a coach in place with some ST experience at the college level.

GSU's ST coordinator wouldn't be a bad get.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:20 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Gratefulneer wrote:

Does he have to be position coach. Could he not continue to serve in the same capacity as last year.?
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:23 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:20 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Gratefulneer wrote:

Does he have to be position coach. Could he not continue to serve in the same capacity as last year.?
Sure. I don’t think that he is leaving. I just don’t know what his role could or should I say, will be.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:30 pm

Another new defensive coach just announced on Facebook
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:33 pm

So at this point with a couple more hires added to the coaching staff and the loss of Riley and Gas, what is the temperature of the room here on the boards? Have we stepped forward or stepped back?

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:36 pm

getting older and less fit.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:40 pm

I will reserve my final judgment until the entire staff is announced, but I will say that I have not had that "wow, we got him!!!" feeling like I did with a lot of our hires last year. This year it is more like, "huh, we got him?" Someone else put it best in another thread, 'feels like we are filling out an FCS coaching squad' or words to that effect. Hoping it all works out and these coaches are great, but when someone tells me that I am going to be surprised by the high level of talent that is contacting the school to coach and then we get guys with their first ever official coaching position in college, well lets just say it is a let down. Honestly, if Drink would have made these hires, most on here would have destroyed him. He brought us a 30+ year FBS defensive coordinator with a national title to his resume and half this board melted down. Clark gets much more of a pass because he is one of us, so I will continue to try to be optimistic despite how difficult that gets with each hire that is announced.

MountaineerKidd

Unread post by MountaineerKidd » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:42 pm

AppDub wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:33 pm
So at this point with a couple more hires added to the coaching staff and the loss of Riley and Gas, what is the temperature of the room here on the boards? Have we stepped forward or stepped back?
I would be lying if I said I am super enthused. I know we're not going for those huge splash hires but it seems like were getting older guys with less than ideal backgrounds. I am worried that we could be losing some young energy and new ideas that every program needs.

Mikebibbyforthreeeee

Unread post by Mikebibbyforthreeeee » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:44 pm

When we pay assistants 90k a year you cant expect alot of "wow" hires, we got a few last year but they never planned to stay.

MtnMan09

Unread post by MtnMan09 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:47 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:40 pm
I will reserve my final judgment until the entire staff is announced, but I will say that I have not had that "wow, we got him!!!" feeling like I did with a lot of our hires last year. This year it is more like, "huh, we got him?" Someone else put it best in another thread, 'feels like we are filling out an FCS coaching squad' or words to that effect. Hoping it all works out and these coaches are great, but when someone tells me that I am going to be surprised by the high level of talent that is contacting the school to coach and then we get guys with their first ever official coaching position in college, well lets just say it is a let down. Honestly, if Drink would have made these hires, most on here would have destroyed him. He brought us a 30+ year FBS defensive coordinator with a national title to his resume and half this board melted down. Clark gets much more of a pass because he is one of us, so I will continue to try to be optimistic despite how difficult that gets with each hire that is announced.
This. Very much this. I'm trying to reserve judgement but I am not being wow'd by any of this. The fact that we were told we'd be shocked by the caliber of people clamoring for jobs with us while none have been signed has me scratching my head. I dont want an FCS retread or a greatest hits squad from the JM years just because Clark has App connections to them or people they know. Maybe my expectations are unreasonable and Drink was just out of this world in his ability to compile a staff. Like you I was very surprised and pleased at the people he got on board(rather quickly) last year. I hope my worrying ends up being pointless.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”