Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Jordan Fehr

TheMoody1
School: Appalachian State

Jordan Fehr

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:41 am

I was reading his interview on the NFL Collegiate Bowl web site and picked up on this tid bit. Seems we could have had him eligible for one more year.

"During my freshman year, I made the travel squad and started on all special teams. After three games, my coaches and trainers sat me down and told me they want to medical redshirt me, with the goal in mind of gaining another year of eligibility. They wanted me to continue to travel and gain experience, even though I couldn’t play. That spring I was informed that there was a lack of documentation to validate my redshirt, causing my redshirt year to be stripped away from me.My coaches and training staff told me that I did everything right and everything I was supposed to do; it was their fault. Of course, in the moment I was extremely upset because there was nothing I could do about it."

moonshine

Re: Jordan Fehr

Unread post by moonshine » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:42 pm

It would have been awesome to have his leadership back for the 2020 season. Replacing 3 of 4 starters at LB is a tall task even if the 2's got significant reps this season.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:47 pm

I would think that is something that could be appealed by Jordan if he had an actual medical condition. If somehow our school shorted him of another year of eligibility, that is just wrong on more levels than I care to go. Sounds like someone at the school played fast and lose with a "medical redshirt" and the player got burned. My understanding of the medical redshirt rule is that there has to be an actual documented medical issue that prevents the player from participating in 30% of the games (probably off on the percentage of games). This is a good example of how the new rule is good for players, it allows that type of year to be a normal redshirt year and maintain a year of eligibility.

DoesntEvenGoHere

Unread post by DoesntEvenGoHere » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:08 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:47 pm
I would think that is something that could be appealed by Jordan if he had an actual medical condition. If somehow our school shorted him of another year of eligibility, that is just wrong on more levels than I care to go. Sounds like someone at the school played fast and lose with a "medical redshirt" and the player got burned. My understanding of the medical redshirt rule is that there has to be an actual documented medical issue that prevents the player from participating in 30% of the games (probably off on the percentage of games). This is a good example of how the new rule is good for players, it allows that type of year to be a normal redshirt year and maintain a year of eligibility.
Let's just say it was appealed, multiple times.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:51 pm

DoesntEvenGoHere wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:08 pm
t4pizza wrote:
I thought I remember an appeal for it but I admit I never took time to find out the details. Not sure who would have dropped the ball but if we could have had him back for another year and it was the fault of a staff member why we don't then that staff member should be fired, if they are still on staff. Our staff is suppose to handle this stuff for the players and know better. I hope we have fixed this issue.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:12 am

Yeah, kind of tough to say he should have gotten a medical redshirt when he just said it was a coaches’ decision for the purpose of preserving his eligibility.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:25 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:51 pm
DoesntEvenGoHere wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:08 pm
t4pizza wrote:
I thought I remember an appeal for it but I admit I never took time to find out the details. Not sure who would have dropped the ball but if we could have had him back for another year and it was the fault of a staff member why we don't then that staff member should be fired, if they are still on staff. Our staff is suppose to handle this stuff for the players and know better. I hope we have fixed this issue.
Well it is the NCAA so logical decisions are not their strong suit

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:59 am

If he had been a QB at a P5 no problem!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:02 pm

The medical redshirt has always been a bit of a crap shoot in the way it is administered.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”