Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Liberty series

Mjohn1988
School: Appalachian State

Re: Liberty series

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:30 pm

I was simply making the point that if I don’t like what Liberty is doing then I don’t have to contribute my money. By contrast, if I don’t like what App or UNC are doing and I pay taxes in NC, I don’t have a choice, my money is going to both. I’m fine with diversity but I don’t base that so much on race, gender, sexual orientation or religious preference. What I would prefer to see on Apps campus are professors who don’t all think the same way. Not too many leaning left, not too many leaning right and some that have no political bent at all. I really think our public universities should try to hire a staff that mirrors the population of our state. Not so much in race or gender but in thought. I’ll give you an example of what I’m talking about. During my daughters freshman year she had an atheist professor who told her his favorite thing was making his Christian student cry and that there could be no moral argument against abortion. Another who taught his entire class from the “perspective” of a transgender person, the actual subject matter had nothing to do with sexuality. Another who was obsessed with climate change and a white male professor from hickory who told his students he was “worth less than a black professor from an urban area.” She also had some professors who didn’t interject politics into class at all but none that interjected any “conservative” political beliefs. My problem isn’t with the diversity, it’s with the lack of diversity. Do you realize how unlikely it would be in NC for you to meet 10 people in a day and have one be an atheist, one be a transgender person, one be obsessed with climate change and none with conservative beliefs? Point is her experience wasn’t anything close to the reality of our state and it wasn’t diverse.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:02 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:30 pm
I was simply making the point that if I don’t like what Liberty is doing then I don’t have to contribute my money. By contrast, if I don’t like what App or UNC are doing and I pay taxes in NC, I don’t have a choice, my money is going to both. I’m fine with diversity but I don’t base that so much on race, gender, sexual orientation or religious preference. What I would prefer to see on Apps campus are professors who don’t all think the same way. Not too many leaning left, not too many leaning right and some that have no political bent at all. I really think our public universities should try to hire a staff that mirrors the population of our state. Not so much in race or gender but in thought. I’ll give you an example of what I’m talking about. During my daughters freshman year she had an atheist professor who told her his favorite thing was making his Christian student cry and that there could be no moral argument against abortion. Another who taught his entire class from the “perspective” of a transgender person, the actual subject matter had nothing to do with sexuality. Another who was obsessed with climate change and a white male professor from hickory who told his students he was “worth less than a black professor from an urban area.” She also had some professors who didn’t interject politics into class at all but none that interjected any “conservative” political beliefs. My problem isn’t with the diversity, it’s with the lack of diversity. Do you realize how unlikely it would be in NC for you to meet 10 people in a day and have one be an atheist, one be a transgender person, one be obsessed with climate change and none with conservative beliefs? Point is her experience wasn’t anything close to the reality of our state and it wasn’t diverse.
Some of that is the nature of the beast of academia. Private institutions and companies can and do much more discrimination, both legally or illegally, without repercussions. That transgender person likely moved into academia due to academia being more willing to be more accepting. I doubt you will find nearly as much of that acceptance at a Bob Jones style school.

Some of the perceived left leaning is due to not as many on the right looking into jobs in academia. Some person that equates unbridled capitalism as holy scripture is not going to likely seek out a job in academia when they can instead go about starting a company to get on with the exploitation of the proletariat.

One can only hire from those that apply.

And I would not be surprised in I ran into a transgender person or an atheist every day. There are more around than you realize and now that society is more open about all of this they are able to more freely live their life.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:51 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:02 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:30 pm
Some of that is the nature of the beast of academia. Private institutions and companies can and do much more discrimination, both legally or illegally, without repercussions. That transgender person likely moved into academia due to academia being more willing to be more accepting. I doubt you will find nearly as much of that acceptance at a Bob Jones style school.

Some of the perceived left leaning is due to not as many on the right looking into jobs in academia. Some person that equates unbridled capitalism as holy scripture is not going to likely seek out a job in academia when they can instead go about starting a company to get on with the exploitation of the proletariat.

One can only hire from those that apply.

And I would not be surprised in I ran into a transgender person or an atheist every day. There are more around than you realize and now that society is more open about all of this they are able to more freely live their life.
So you present yourself as being a very tolerant person but you can’t seem to get through a conversation without insulting large swaths of folks. Capitalism may have its flaws but all business owners don’t take advantage of their employees. And it’s estimated that over the last 100 years communist regime’s have killed 100,000,000 people, so I’ll take my chances with being taken advantage of by a capitalist. Got that out of the way. Don’t know if you realize it but your making my point. Your saying that left leaning folks are concentrated on our campus. I think your right and that makes my point. If any particular group, left or right is over represented on our campus then we don’t really have a reflection of our state’s diversity. To be clear I’m not focused on the race, gender, religious or sexual orientation of the university staff, I’m focused on having diverse beliefs that reflect our states population. You see I know for a fact that folks aren’t defined by the stereotypes that go along with these things. I once had a gay business partner who was politically very conservative and I work with an atheist who is also conservative. So I’m not really interested in grouping people by these superficial things. I’m interested in how and what they think. You say it’s “perceived” that our campus is left leaning because left leaning folks are more comfortable in academia and apply at a higher rate for the jobs. If this is the case then it’s not a perception that it’s left leaning, it’s a reality. You also say that App can only hire the people who apply for the jobs. On that front I’ll ask you to consider this, App says it wants to have a diverse student population and it’s taking measures to reach that goal. So if App wants a diverse student population that mirrors our society then why wouldn’t it want and pursue the same type of diversity in its staff? As for running into an atheist and a transgender person in the same day in N.C. you chances are really pretty slim. Both populations make up roughly 6% of North Carolinians. In summary I simply don’t want the staff at App to be over represented by folks of any one belief, I want it to reflect our states population.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:36 pm

Actually I was not trying to refute your point. I was just pointing out what small bit I have read about this. I imagine Walker COB is going to have more right-leaning folks. I bet the Dept of Social Work will have a lot less. Again the nature of the beast.

I somewhat agree with you in that universities do lean left. I just don't see it as a problem to get worked up over. I don't care for monolithic thought, but I don't expect a university to hire someone just to fill a political quota. Again they can only hire those that apply.

I have friended a few of my professors on Facebook. They are very political and they are on the left side. I would have never known that from their classes. Maybe it was my major in the hard sciences. No time to discuss politics in those classes.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:07 am

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:36 pm
Actually I was not trying to refute your point. I was just pointing out what small bit I have read about this. I imagine Walker COB is going to have more right-leaning folks. I bet the Dept of Social Work will have a lot less. Again the nature of the beast.

I somewhat agree with you in that universities do lean left. I just don't see it as a problem to get worked up over. I don't care for monolithic thought, but I don't expect a university to hire someone just to fill a political quota. Again they can only hire those that apply.

I have friended a few of my professors on Facebook. They are very political and they are on the left side. I would have never known that from their classes. Maybe it was my major in the hard sciences. No time to discuss politics in those classes.
"I somewhat agree with you in that universities do lean left. I just don't see it as a problem to get worked up over"

I wouldn't either if it weren't so pervasive. Would you feel the same way if it leaned right as much as it does left? One of my fellow Kiwanis members is a junior at App. He is President of the Young Republicans "club." There are only 4 members in it. lol
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:20 am

NewApp wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:07 am

"I somewhat agree with you in that universities do lean left. I just don't see it as a problem to get worked up over"

I wouldn't either if it weren't so pervasive. Would you feel the same way if it leaned right as much as it does left? One of my fellow Kiwanis members is a junior at App. He is President of the Young Republicans "club." There are only 4 members in it. lol
4 brave souls, there are a lot more like them who just don’t want the take the beating for saying so.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:48 am

Back in my day one of the defining things about going to college was the opportunity to "grow up", to leave the comfort of home and meet new people, explore new thoughts and ideas, make choices (not always the right one), and GROW THE F UP" - all this whining about liberal/conservative is ridiculous. Some people live their lives as followers, always looking to someone/something to tell them what to think or believe. If that is their choice, then choose a university that meets those needs...
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:13 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:48 am
Back in my day one of the defining things about going to college was the opportunity to "grow up", to leave the comfort of home and meet new people, explore new thoughts and ideas, make choices (not always the right one), and GROW THE F UP" - all this whining about liberal/conservative is ridiculous. Some people live their lives as followers, always looking to someone/something to tell them what to think or believe. If that is their choice, then choose a university that meets those needs...
You are saying things that I was trying to get across but did not do successfully.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:21 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:20 am
NewApp wrote:

4 brave souls, there are a lot more like them who just don’t want the take the beating for saying so.
Maybe they need to learn to stand up for their convictions. I started an AFT teachers union student chapter at App and it was never big but for those of us that felt moved to join it was available. And don't think I was getting all of these high-fives from the profs or my peers either. In fact I was getting a lot of the opposite, and what should have been a rubber-stamp from SGA for us to be official was anything but due to some serious anti-union views from students that would never be asked or expected to join. But I have enough self-respect to stand up for myself in a mature and polite manner.

Another option is not more than 4 people would really want to spend their time with this particular club. A lot of the clubs are not huge.

And another

AppySprayberry

Unread post by AppySprayberry » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:24 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:20 am
NewApp wrote:

Give me a break lmao

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”