Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Liberty series

Mjohn1988
School: Appalachian State

Re: Liberty series

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:01 pm

I love App football and we have done some awesome things but some folks are elevating us to a place we haven’t made it to yet. 2019 was amazing but we have won 3 P5 games since 2007. I think some P5 schools should and do have a healthy respect for us but I wouldn’t say their scared of us. I’m not trying to diminish anything our players and coaches have accomplished, it is truly amazing.

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:31 pm

It looks like, if some lawmakers and folks (including Jerry Falwell Jr.) get their way, we may be playing Liberty in Lynchburg, WEST VIRGINIA, rather than Virginia, in 2025. Obviously, "Vexit" doesn't stand much a of a chance but stranger things have happened.

https://www.newsadvance.com/news/vexit- ... 51c41.html

AppSt92

Unread post by AppSt92 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:44 pm

HkyMtneer wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:31 pm
It looks like, if some lawmakers and folks (including Jerry Falwell Jr.) get their way, we may be playing Liberty in Lynchburg, WEST VIRGINIA, rather than Virginia, in 2025. Obviously, "Vexit" doesn't stand much a of a chance but stranger things have happened.

Falwell Jr. is a wackjob.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:35 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:42 pm
bcoach wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:50 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:26 pm
bcoach wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:53 pm
Exactly
I am curious as to who it is that is " scared" to play us.
The ADs that feel pressure from their fanbase scheduling a high risk, minimal reward game. I got so many texts from SC fans two years ago when that game was scheduled, I can only imagine what their AD received.
That is much different than teams being scared to play us. That is a few vocal fans making noise like we do that pretty much gets ignored.
That is EXACTLY like teams being scared to play us. AD's schedule. Donors hire AD's. We are going to have a hard time scheduling P5's. We Scared Tennessee and PennState and Beat UNC, USC. I promise it has AD's thinking if it is worth scheduling us as a G5 game. We may get Clemson and Alabama, but it will be hard to get the middle of the conference teams to schedule us.
Then how does Boise have Florida State, Oklahoma State, Michigan state, Oregon State, Oregon, and Washington State on future schedules?

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:07 pm

AppSt92 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:44 pm
HkyMtneer wrote:

I'd have no objection if Lynchburg becomes part of West Virginia! Anything to get him out of the state.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:21 pm

hapapp wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:07 pm
AppSt92 wrote:
HkyMtneer wrote:

I'd have no objection if Lynchburg becomes part of West Virginia! Anything to get him out of the state.
No Thanks - West Virginia doesn't need his hypocrisy
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:19 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:35 pm
spacemonkey wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:42 pm
bcoach wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:50 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:26 pm
bcoach wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:53 pm
Exactly
I am curious as to who it is that is " scared" to play us.
The ADs that feel pressure from their fanbase scheduling a high risk, minimal reward game. I got so many texts from SC fans two years ago when that game was scheduled, I can only imagine what their AD received.
That is much different than teams being scared to play us. That is a few vocal fans making noise like we do that pretty much gets ignored.
That is EXACTLY like teams being scared to play us. AD's schedule. Donors hire AD's. We are going to have a hard time scheduling P5's. We Scared Tennessee and PennState and Beat UNC, USC. I promise it has AD's thinking if it is worth scheduling us as a G5 game. We may get Clemson and Alabama, but it will be hard to get the middle of the conference teams to schedule us.
Then how does Boise have Florida State, Oklahoma State, Michigan state, Oregon State, Oregon, and Washington State on future schedules?
There are not many G5 teams out west. I am not sure I would classify Florida St., Oregon, or Michigan St. Middle of the road.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:05 pm

AppSt92 wrote:
HkyMtneer wrote:

He’s still alive? I’d figured he’d be in hell by now.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:26 pm

You might be thinking of Falwell Sr. Jr is not that old it seems.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:24 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:21 pm
hapapp wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:07 pm
AppSt92 wrote:
HkyMtneer wrote:

No Thanks - West Virginia doesn't need his hypocrisy
This does remind of a game many years ago with WVU playing at UVA - that was back in the day when UVA had a whacky small band - their halftime show was based on the theme ---
WEST VIRGINIA, IF YOU HAD TO SECEDE WHY THE HELL DIDN'T YOU TAKE BLACKSBURG WITH YOU!!!
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:21 am

Again, why don't we just kick the Flames' arses all over the football field and be done with it? Forget wack job Falwell,Jr and his minions.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:58 am

NewApp wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:21 am
Again, why don't we just kick the Flames' arses all over the football field and be done with it? Forget wack job Falwell,Jr and his minions.
Playing a team gives them credibility. I am not so opposed to it that I would boycott the game in Boone and if I am not working that weekend I would be willing to take Amtrak to the game, but more for the train ride than not.

I would prefer to not give Liberty money directly or indirectly by App writing them a check.

At the end of the day it is out of my control and I understand why it was done, but it does rub me the wrong way for a few reasons-political, religious, but also how they fund their program with the online part of their school. It is giving them a huge advantage in athletics. Also their recent athletic hires----uggh. It just does not pass the "I feel good about it test." for me personally.

It would be nice that we beat them so bad they reconsider moving to FBS football.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:00 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:58 am
NewApp wrote:
Playing a team gives them credibility. I am not so opposed to it that I would boycott the game in Boone and if I am not working that weekend I would be willing to take Amtrak to the game, but more for the train ride than not.

I would prefer to not give Liberty money directly or indirectly by App writing them a check.

At the end of the day it is out of my control and I understand why it was done, but it does rub me the wrong way for a few reasons-political, religious, but also how they fund their program with the online part of their school. It is giving them a huge advantage in athletics. Also their recent athletic hires----uggh. It just does not pass the "I feel good about it test." for me personally.

It would be nice that we beat them so bad they reconsider moving to FBS football.

The Falwell's have spoken out as obvious racists before, yet one of my former students' son is African American (half) and plays basketball for Liberty. It's all hype, nothing more, nothing less. To discriminate against Liberty because of their bogus religious/political beliefs is hypocrisy in itself. As to their bogus online degrees which has been bantered around on here to no end. EZU (ECU) probably has nearly as many. They advertise nationally just like LU does. I will not travel to Liberty, but I will be watching on the net, on network TV, or listening to them on WKBC...whichever occurs.

Playing UNC-Cheat gave their corrupt program some credibility, yet we won out in the end. So there's that.
TC, MCl.
Google SUX

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:11 pm

NewApp wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:00 am
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:58 am
NewApp wrote:

The Falwell's have spoken out as obvious racists before, yet one of my former students' son is African American (half) and plays basketball for Liberty. It's all hype, nothing more, nothing less. To discriminate against Liberty because of their bogus religious/political beliefs is hypocrisy in itself. As to their bogus online degrees which has been bantered around on here to no end. EZU (ECU) probably has nearly as many. They advertise nationally just like LU does. I will not travel to Liberty, but I will be watching on the net, on network TV, or listening to them on WKBC...whichever occurs.

Playing UNC-Cheat gave their corrupt program some credibility, yet we won out in the end. So there's that.
TC, MCl.
It is not hypocrisy on my end. I gave my reasons, and they are well founded and supported by others. I didn't say they could not have those beliefs, I just don't want to support them. I feel the same about Bob Jones University, but we are not playing them in football. I have the right to not want my money going in directions that I am very opposed to.

I also know plenty of minorities that attend Liberty, some very close to me and my family. More power to them. I still don't want my money to go to Liberty if at all possible. Nothing against these current and former students.

There is NO WAY ECU has as much online presence at Liberty if what is reported on-line is only 1/2 the truth. If ECU had those sorts of online numbers they would have different levels of facilities than they do. Liberty seems to be sending out diplomas that are closer to a paper mill than a real university and using those funds to build up the campus in ways that seems to be putting them at a clear advantage compared to building a college organically. I do have a problem with that as it relates to playing sports with them. I am not calling for their removal from the NCAA, I just wish they were not playing us and if no one scheduled them and they moved to the NCCAA it would not bother me. I do wish SACS did not give them accreditation but that is another part of the issues I have with them separate from sports.

The game is happening so we do agree with each other that we want App to win and win big.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:31 pm

McL. I'd rather give the Falwell clan funds (no pun intended) than what we enabled UNC-CHEAT to make off with because all we NC taxpayers are vested in those creeps. Having said that, I have taken a half dozen or more classes at Chapel Hell.
Of course I had rather neither get a dime from us..
Google SUX

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:07 pm

NewApp wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:31 pm
McL. I'd rather give the Falwell clan funds (no pun intended) than what we enabled UNC-CHEAT to make off with because all we NC taxpayers are vested in those creeps. Having said that, I have taken a half dozen or more classes at Chapel Hell.
You make a good point, while folks go on and on about not wanting to give “funding” to a private university we’re forced to fund our public universities. I support both private and public education and firmly believe we need both. That said there are a lot of things that go on at App. and Chapel Hill that I don’t agree with. In fact I find both schools almost at war with my world view. Truth is I don’t think the majority of the faculty at either school reflect the beliefs of most folks in our state. I have written both schools Chancellors and urged them seek out staff members that have diverse beliefs and thoughts that more closely reflect those of the people of our state. If the professors at our university are in lock step the students are more likely to get an indoctrination than a education.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:41 am

Agreed, Mjohn
Google SUX

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:10 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:07 pm
NewApp wrote:
You make a good point, while folks go on and on about not wanting to give “funding” to a private university we’re forced to fund our public universities. I support both private and public education and firmly believe we need both. That said there are a lot of things that go on at App. and Chapel Hill that I don’t agree with. In fact I find both schools almost at war with my world view. Truth is I don’t think the majority of the faculty at either school reflect the beliefs of most folks in our state. I have written both schools Chancellors and urged them seek out staff members that have diverse beliefs and thoughts that more closely reflect those of the people of our state. If the professors at our university are in lock step the students are more likely to get an indoctrination than a education.
not sure where you are coming from with this statement?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:42 am

There seems to be a left lean at both universities, more so at Chapel Hill, but both. I can live with a lean as long as you don't get the shouting down of legitimate opposing views condoned by the admin. Then it's too far. Of course this is all from the "reporting" of the news which each side seems to be selling their story so hard to believe any of it.

My issue with Chapel Hill is the cheating scandal and use of public money to deny and deflect criticism. Private schools use private money voluntarily given so I would criticize them less. Public institutions should be held to a higher standard. So, they suck.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:33 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:07 pm
NewApp wrote:
I'm sure that there are things going on at all public universities that would sit wrong with almost any person, regardless of their "leaning." That's the nature of diversity. It seems you call for diversity with one breath, but aren't comfortable with the fact we have it. I'm not questioning your values or your right to have them, but the situation you are describing is very different from the topic. The issues people have with Liberty and UNC aren't related to the behaviors of individual faculty or students. They are related to a lack of institutional integrity. Liberty comes into question (depending on the individual) for political activism and lack of academic integrity over a lack of quality associated with their online degrees (whether that lack of quality is real or perceived). UNC's lack of integrity is related to a systemic cheating involving their athletics....an issue that was defended by allowing the academic integrity of the university to take a hit (the classes were available to all students, not jut athletes...thereby taking it out from under NCAA jurisdiction).

It just seems your statement about App and UNC is an entirely different issue.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”