Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

6 Teams who could make noise in 2020

AppOrange
School: Appalachian State

Re: 6 Teams who could make noise in 2020

Unread post by AppOrange » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:21 pm

Looking forward to Coach Clark putting a great team on the field who comes out looking prepared, well coached and sharp for the first time in his HC career. This is all I care about.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:56 pm

NeersBy90 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:34 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:47 pm
Seattleapp wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:22 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:14 pm
Is this the official thread that kick starts the “beat Morgan St”, win 1 at a time, don’t look ahead, “come back down to earth” and other piss on corn flakes stuff that will go on until September? Will it also be policed by the football gods who point out that a message board guy saying “take care of ______ “ is speaking some dumb language? Can’t folks just have fun, speculate and hope for good things without being put down?
Reality is a weird thing I know. Yes let’s all agree we will go 13-0 and play in the national championship and kick clemson by 40. Not only next year but every other year until the end of time. Is that better? Now we can close the door to yosefs cabin forever because there is nothing left to discuss. Everyone on this board wants app to win every game. That’s never been up for debate. But guess what? Our opponents want to win too and pointing out various challenges we may face isn’t pissing in anyone’s cereal.
Exactly. We have to be careful with arrogance. See some on this board may not know this but back in 2007 a top 5 FBS team Michigan was projected to be a national title contender (and we are not in 2020) and they faced a FCS team who nobody thought had a chance. Michigan ignored this team their entire preseason and nobody thought the game would be closer than 30 points. Everyone expected an easy tuneup before Oregon and their "real schedule". I don't know if those guys have heard of that game but they may want to. It is a good lesson about how arrogance and counting your chicken before they are hatched is not a good thing. Anyone can beat anyone on any given Saturday and that is 100% true.
Where is Michigan and what happened there in 2007?

Are you suggesting that Michigan fans on their message boards are the reason Michigan overlooked us? A fans arrogance has never, not one time, cost a football team a game. I will continue to forget who we play the first game and look forward to bigger games. I will do this until my arrogance and that of the others around me, cost App a football game. I'll leave Morgan State or ETSU or whoever it us, up to Coach Clark and the boys that play the game.
No I'm suggesting everyone there overlooked App and that I rather not be the one who looks stupid overlooking a team and have to eat crow big time online. I take every team seriously. Players have enough trouble not overlooking a cupcake already and the less written online writing the game off the better. I will never contribute bulletin board material in any way.

While I know we have the talent to win 12-14 games next year I also know that we could lose any game. I just hope we don't ever know how those at Michigan felt that day in the future. Being the Goliath losing to David has to suck and I don't want to become someone's punch line.

NeersBy90

Unread post by NeersBy90 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:34 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:56 pm
NeersBy90 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Seattleapp wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:14 pm
Is this the official thread that kick starts the “beat Morgan St”, win 1 at a time, don’t look ahead, “come back down to earth” and other piss on corn flakes stuff that will go on until September? Will it also be policed by the football gods who point out that a message board guy saying “take care of ______ “ is speaking some dumb language? Can’t folks just have fun, speculate and hope for good things without being put down?
Reality is a weird thing I know. Yes let’s all agree we will go 13-0 and play in the national championship and kick clemson by 40. Not only next year but every other year until the end of time. Is that better? Now we can close the door to yosefs cabin forever because there is nothing left to discuss. Everyone on this board wants app to win every game. That’s never been up for debate. But guess what? Our opponents want to win too and pointing out various challenges we may face isn’t pissing in anyone’s cereal.
Exactly. We have to be careful with arrogance. See some on this board may not know this but back in 2007 a top 5 FBS team Michigan was projected to be a national title contender (and we are not in 2020) and they faced a FCS team who nobody thought had a chance. Michigan ignored this team their entire preseason and nobody thought the game would be closer than 30 points. Everyone expected an easy tuneup before Oregon and their "real schedule". I don't know if those guys have heard of that game but they may want to. It is a good lesson about how arrogance and counting your chicken before they are hatched is not a good thing. Anyone can beat anyone on any given Saturday and that is 100% true.

Are you suggesting that Michigan fans on their message boards are the reason Michigan overlooked us? A fans arrogance has never, not one time, cost a football team a game. I will continue to forget who we play the first game and look forward to bigger games. I will do this until my arrogance and that of the others around me, cost App a football game. I'll leave Morgan State or ETSU or whoever it us, up to Coach Clark and the boys that play the game.
No I'm suggesting everyone there overlooked App and that I rather not be the one who looks stupid overlooking a team and have to eat crow big time online. I take every team seriously. Players have enough trouble not overlooking a cupcake already and the less written online writing the game off the better. I will never contribute bulletin board material in any way.

While I know we have the talent to win 12-14 games next year I also know that we could lose any game. I just hope we don't ever know how those at Michigan felt that day in the future. Being the Goliath losing to David has to suck and I don't want to become someone's punch line.
I think you may be taking this a little to seriously but, I see where you're coming from. I do think everyone up there overlooked us but I think its a stretch to think the fans played any roll in their team laying an egg. Ive eaten enough crow to know that its not pleasant, but if I can't stand the heat on some message boards, I've got bigger issues than App losing a football game.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:47 pm

I know there have been comments about not looking ahead of the first game, or the next game, etc., and this is practical within the confines of the team and coaching staff within the given time frame. But to think the coaching staff isn't looking forward is just not realistic. I don't know about this staff but I know other D-1 staffs always look forward. My guess is that are certain assistants or members of the staff who are already or will soon be breaking down the film and information on all of our opponents for next season.
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:52 pm

In order to get some type of apples to apples comparison with App versus "don't take them lightly U" and Michigan V App in 2007 you would have to come up with a comparable opponent. That year Michigan was ranked like 5th preseason, playing at home against probably the best FCS level team in the country with lots of speed and a young dynamic quarterback. Let's say, for arguments sake that next year we are ranked 20th to start the season. Who would we need to play that would make the comparison level? Certainly not NDSU even though they are the top FCS school out there. The perceived gap is not as pronounced. If we play the defending D2 National Champion is that similar enough? No matter who we play out of the gate if we lose it ain't the lead story on the college football scores show that day. We as fans should be respectful of any opponent but by the same token we as message board guys can overlook a Morgan State and have friendly discussions about Wisconsin and Wake.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:03 pm

Do we really have to go through this again? The coaches and team are, at this time, preparing for a season of up to 14 games. We know who 12 of those games will be played against and have a strong guess that the 13th opponent will be either ULL again, or Ark St. IF we reach the championship game again.
The team itself won't start prepping for Morgan St. until a week or so before that game. They had better be getting ready for a long tough season, not just the first game, and that includes building some rough game outlines against all of our opponents. Our discussion on this board will not impact or "jinx" the game outcomes.

We have a highly experienced coaching staff shaping up and they know what they're doing. Feeling so damn good about our future!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:45 pm

NeersBy90 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:34 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
NeersBy90 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Seattleapp wrote:

I think you may be taking this a little to seriously but, I see where you're coming from. I do think everyone up there overlooked us but I think its a stretch to think the fans played any roll in their team laying an egg. Ive eaten enough crow to know that its not pleasant, but if I can't stand the heat on some message boards, I've got bigger issues than App losing a football game.
Fans don't carry weight but I think the overall buzz from everywhere in total can. If nobody thinks you stand a shot and you hear even your own people doubt you then you definitely have a bigger chip on your shoulder. We have gone from hunter to hunted and I just don't want to even talk like an arrogant jerk on our team. While we are good enough to go undefeated next year we could also lose to anyone.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:24 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:45 pm
NeersBy90 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:34 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
NeersBy90 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

Fans don't carry weight but I think the overall buzz from everywhere in total can. If nobody thinks you stand a shot and you hear even your own people doubt you then you definitely have a bigger chip on your shoulder. We have gone from hunter to hunted and I just don't want to even talk like an arrogant jerk on our team. While we are good enough to go undefeated next year we could also lose to anyone.
When we were an FCS power we were “hunted” and since we joined the Sunbelt and immediately rose to the top we have been “hunted”. It’s not a brand new concept. I firmly believe that 99% of us rational App fans embrace what we have and are really not delusional. Most of us also firmly understand that the rankings come and go. We should also be keenly aware of the nature of our program now specifically as it relates to coaching changes. We are kind of stuck in a tough place. I really hope we make a lot of noise again next year. As far as rankings and the future who the heck knows.

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:32 am

The interesting thing about App State football is that we are now both the hunter and the hunted. We are the hunter going against good P5 teams but are now the hunted going against FCS, Belt and most G5's. It's actually a good place to be and a reputation that has been earned on the field by the black and gold.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:42 am

CoachRob wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:25 pm
Overall, no matter who you are, player or fan, or what team you root for, arrogance is is NOT a good quality.
I think what some posters are trying to express, is not that you should or shouldn't discuss the big games like WF and Wisconsin, but the attitude that is behind these discussions. At least that's how I'm interpreting some of these post.
Pride cometh before the fall.
Exactly. We have a very good team but no team is so bad that we can't lose. If I'm a Wisconsin fan I would say the same about App or even a FCS team on their schedule. Now, with that said there is no excuse for us to lose 4-5 games in 2020 but we could lose any one game for sure no matter how good we are. Clemson almost lost to UNC. Georgia lost to South Carolina. Shoot, we lost to GSU who lost to an awful Liberty team. Anything can happen. We have some fans who are mocking Morgan State like it could not happen but it most certainly can. If it does then heads should roll because there is no excuse to lose to them because of scholarship differences and prestige but the same was said about App State vs Michigan in 2007.

By the way, Howard pulled a 43 point upset over UNLV and that was a bigger upset at the time than our game was. We were like 30 point underdogs.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:09 am

Arrogance becomes acceptable when you prove you can back it up. The players have proven it on the field, us fans need to prove it financially. I'm doing my part.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:35 am

Agreed that we are hunters as it relates to P5 teams and hunted by G5 teams. In regards to the hunter, I am proud of our past P5 wins. I am especially proud of the Michigan win as we were not in D1 so to speak at the time. Proud of USC and UNC wins as they are P5 wins even if these teams were not the best of P5 has to offer at the time we played. The next step in progress is to notch a win against a good P5 team. We had Penn St beat and they were a decently good P5 team. Historically, Wisconsin has been a good P5 team. I hope the team plays well and can find a way to win. I am sure the Badger coaches will remind their players of how App St played at Michigan and more recently Penn St. They will be ready.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

MountaineerChemist10

Unread post by MountaineerChemist10 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:22 am

As long as we beat Georgia Southern, I'll be happy.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”