Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

App Football 1937

GlassOnion

App Football 1937

Unread post by GlassOnion » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:28 pm

Randomly found this on youtube,

It is an App State football team's trip, by train, on the tweetsie railroad, to play East Tennessee in Johnson City. There and back.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MtnMan09
School: Appalachian State

Re: App Football 1937

Unread post by MtnMan09 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:12 pm

Thats one of the cooler things I've seen in awhile. Thanks for posting.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:44 pm

GlassOnion wrote:Randomly found this on youtube,

It is an App State football team's trip, by train, on the tweetsie railroad, to play East Tennessee in Johnson City. There and back.

This was posted on the old MMB a few years ago. I was thinking it was linked to some Belk Library archive digital files. I am guessing someone took the video and downloaded it and moved it over to Youtube.

I am the resident railfan I think on MMB so I posted the link to a few online groups that includes an expert on Tweetsie. Sadly, no one was able to bring any information back to me. Others did like the footage, they just could not add anything to the discussion. I was hoping someone knew of this footage and had a story behind it.

I was not trying to steal your thunder. Sorry. I sound like Debbie Downer now.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:35 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:

This was posted on the old MMB a few years ago. I was thinking it was linked to some Belk Library archive digital files. I am guessing someone took the video and downloaded it and moved it over to Youtube.

I am the resident railfan I think on MMB so I posted the link to a few online groups that includes an expert on Tweetsie. Sadly, no one was able to bring any information back to me. Others did like the footage, they just could not add anything to the discussion. I was hoping someone knew of this footage and had a story behind it.

You and I need to talk sometime. I have been a railfan since I was a kid and my grandmother lived on the Southern main from DC to New Orleans. I am big enough railfan that I am a member of RailStream and keep a couple of live feeds open in the background while I'm on here just to see a few trains. One is coming by in Fostoria OH as I type this. I was also a student of the ETWNC. I have a bunch of books on the history of the line. I remember reading something about ASU football riding the train but most of my books are in a storage building in Blackstone VA right now. I'll try and get up there as soon as possible and see if I can dig out the boxes of books to find that one as I know there is a story there.

I worked from 2000 until late 2009 for Norfolk Southern as a conductor and then an extra board engineer on the Virginia Division based out of Crewe and Petersburg plus Roanoke as needed. The downturn killed us along with a huge mistake by NS management and I had to come back to Boone at the end of 09 but as soon as I get a little knee problem fixed I will be getting back on somewhere. I've had offers from Florida to Alaska so I don't think it will be much of a problem except for the knee. Funny thing is most RR workers think railfans are crazy but I changed a few minds while I was there and I always tried to give a extra long horn and a big wave to anyone watching and filming.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:13 am

We should have moved up to NCAA D1 at that time since transportation (rail service) in and out of Boone was state of the art in 1937. Obviously we have gone downhill since then and do not have the luxuries of modern transportation in/out of Boone.

BTW, great video quality for 1937.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:13 am

Awesome video!
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:20 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:We should have moved up to NCAA D1 at that time since transportation (rail service) in and out of Boone was state of the art in 1937. Obviously we have gone downhill since then and do not have the luxuries of modern transportation in/out of Boone.

BTW, great video quality for 1937.
It was narrow gauge into Boone.That would have kept us out of the big conferences at the time. :roll:

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:26 pm

firemoose wrote:

You and I need to talk sometime. I have been a railfan since I was a kid and my grandmother lived on the Southern main from DC to New Orleans. I am big enough railfan that I am a member of RailStream and keep a couple of live feeds open in the background while I'm on here just to see a few trains. One is coming by in Fostoria OH as I type this. I was also a student of the ETWNC. I have a bunch of books on the history of the line. I remember reading something about ASU football riding the train but most of my books are in a storage building in Blackstone VA right now. I'll try and get up there as soon as possible and see if I can dig out the boxes of books to find that one as I know there is a story there.

I worked from 2000 until late 2009 for Norfolk Southern as a conductor and then an extra board engineer on the Virginia Division based out of Crewe and Petersburg plus Roanoke as needed. The downturn killed us along with a huge mistake by NS management and I had to come back to Boone at the end of 09 but as soon as I get a little knee problem fixed I will be getting back on somewhere. I've had offers from Florida to Alaska so I don't think it will be much of a problem except for the knee. Funny thing is most RR workers think railfans are crazy but I changed a few minds while I was there and I always tried to give a extra long horn and a big wave to anyone watching and filming.
You worked for NS and watch live streams online. You may now wear the official App State Railfan cap. I assume you were UTU as a conductor. I do live less than a mile from the Greensboro-Raleigh line (H-Line I think.)

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:01 pm

thank you for posting that, it is just awesome.

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY

Unread post by PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:39 pm

im sure this has been discussed before reading all comments possible on previous posts but i think its actually a trip to boone from an etsu fan...you can see them riding up the mountain with grandfather on left after game...meaning going up the mountain toward banner elk. also just before there, they show a water tank and then a store...which reads shulls mill post office...which was located near hound ears...the scenery after is of foscoe if im correct which would be true because as i stated, then grandfather comes up on the left side. looking at the date of games played that year this seems probable because app played and beat etsu on 10/16/37 and won(that was the year un-scored apon) 28-0.

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY

Unread post by PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:56 pm

also, the field looks to be near old campus buildings which is where it was located by present day railey and duncan parking lots..i think...plus you get a brief shot of a mountain behind the building during a punt at the three minute mark....i'm bored and naturally curious...im a gemini. :ugeek:

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:27 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:You worked for NS and watch live streams online. You may now wear the official App State Railfan cap. I assume you were UTU as a conductor. I do live less than a mile from the Greensboro-Raleigh line (H-Line I think.)
Thanks...I'll wear it with pride :D Just watched a rolling meet in Chesterton, IN on the old NYC line (now NS).

The line you live on was part of the original North Carolina Railroad (NCRR) that ran from Goldsboro to Charlotte, which planning started in 1848. It was leased to Southern in 1895 for 99 years (there was a big stink about it between NS and the state when the lease ran out in 1995 but they finally worked it out). The "H-Line" nickname was started because in the old days it was so rough that crews, especially in the caboose, used to say "now that was a Hell of a ride". I have several friends who I went to the NS school in Atlanta with that work on the Piedmont Division, which includes the "H". We have an H-Line in the Virginia Division that runs from Hagerstown MD to Roanoke that I've run on many times.

I was UTU and still wear my hat. The BLE started pushing for conductors in 2003 and they approached many of us but we remembered that during school they would not even talk to us even though most would be moving to engine service in just a few years so we told them where to stick it. I kept my UTU membership even after I went to LET and got on the extra board for engine service since I pretty much split time between conductor and engineer. It cost a little more but UTU watched our backs pretty good so I didn't feel too bad about the double bill. When I get back on I'll be down the list so I'll rejoin UTU along with BLE. Sucks to loose the seniority but wasn't much of a choice after the colossal screwup NS VA Division management made. I'll tell you about it sometime. It killed or stalled about 45 people's careers.

Drop me a e sometime at firemoose@charter.net and we'll swap a few stories. I've got a few you wouldn't believe.

GoApps70

Unread post by GoApps70 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:49 am

I believe the game was played in Boone on the old field near Duncan. So would have been a trip from Johnson City to Boone and back.
==========================================================================
Give 'em Hell Apps !.....Sun Belt future champs !........Enlarge Kidd Brewer ASAP!
==========================================================================

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:37 am

You mentioned being a RR fan. My seven year old is the ultimate RR aficioanado. I've taken him to Tweetsie every year since he was three as well as to Spencer Shops a couple times. This past trip to Spencer Shops, I paid extra to let us ride with the engineer. He was thrilled (and so was I :) ). The engineer was a retiree from a career as a research scientist and had not driven a train before in his life until he came to work for the Transportation Museum.
If you haven't checked it out, there is a steam engine at the Denton Farm Park during the week of the 4th as well as a short time around Christmas.
Sorry if I hijacked this thread.
a.k.a JC0429

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:50 am

BTW, where would be a good day trip from the Piedmont on Amtrack for a seven year old where there would be something to do in the interim. Or is there such a feasible trip?
a.k.a JC0429

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:10 pm

JCline0429 wrote:

You mentioned being a RR fan. My seven year old is the ultimate RR aficioanado. I've taken him to Tweetsie every year since he was three as well as to Spencer Shops a couple times. This past trip to Spencer Shops, I paid extra to let us ride with the engineer. He was thrilled (and so was I :) ). The engineer was a retiree from a career as a research scientist and had not driven a train before in his life until he came to work for the Transportation Museum.
If you haven't checked it out, there is a steam engine at the Denton Farm Park during the week of the 4th as well as a short time around Christmas.
Sorry if I hijacked this thread.
The whole thread is about railroads, no way to hijack it. I rode up in the cab for my birthday a few years ago. Maybe a few years more than I imagine. It was a diesel.

If you don't mind him playing on computers at his age try and find Microsoft Train Simulator. It came out around 2000 I think. You might find it on the $10 rack at Target or Staples in the cheap software display. It runs on my Win7 computer, but can also be used on an older computer. It is what the name implies, you sit and drive a train. You can add routes and I have the Charlotte-Raleigh line that was made by someone here in Greensboro. There are newer and more expensive Train Sims out there that need more computer power. But for $10 this is a neat program and for a 7 year old the graphics will be good enough.

I did some AP Physics training in Baltimore 10 years ago. I took Amtrak there and back (it is why I choose that location) and I played the sim from Baltimore to Union Station in DC trying to match the actual motion to what I was doing on the sim. I have done the same for the Greensboro to Raleigh route a few times. I am a big railroad geek, and quite frankly I don't apologize for it.

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:55 pm

Yes, it is a diesell. I didn't know until then that diesels ran off electricity...a generator powered by the diesel engine.
a.k.a JC0429

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:30 pm

JCline0429 wrote:Yes, it is a diesell. I didn't know until then that diesels ran off electricity...a generator powered by the diesel engine.
A few years ago, maybe during the recession around 2002/2003, maybe a bit earlier, some locomotives that were not being used for hauling freight were parked outside industry sitting in idel and burning diesel to make electricity but instead of moving the engine the electricity was being sent to the industry. It made some money for the railroad by leasing the engines, and I think the industry was getting a better deal on the electricity. I remember reading about it in Trains magazine. Diesel had to be cheap to make the numbers work of course.

Diesels are just little electrical power plants on wheels. Cheaper than wiring up a bunch of overhead lines (though there are advantages to that with passenger trains that are lighter as evidenced by the Amtrak Northeast Corridor.)

I don't know if they still do, but I was thinking at one time they let you sit up front onthe coal burning engine.

There is a train museum south of Jordan Lake. I think it uses a bit of rail line left after the lake was created, but they have engine drive/rides as well, and longer rides. I have never been there but I keep thinking I will do that some day. I don't know how regular their schedule is.

You have taken your 7 year old on Amtrak on the Piedmont route? Fun day trip. I take my Physics class to Raleigh and the free museums. (I just go for the train ride ;) , and I will not consider any other mode of getting to Raleigh for this field trip.)

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:34 pm

I haven't taken the 7 year old on Amtrak yet. I was hoping you could give me some suggestions on what to take and where for a daytime trip on a Saturday or Sunday. We would be in Asheboro, so where would be the best station to leave from?
a.k.a JC0429

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:54 pm

JCline0429 wrote:I haven't taken the 7 year old on Amtrak yet. I was hoping you could give me some suggestions on what to take and where for a daytime trip on a Saturday or Sunday. We would be in Asheboro, so where would be the best station to leave from?
I was thinking you were in the Triad. Closest to you is High Point, but I would drive a few minutes more and head to the Greensboro Station. The High Point station is refurbished about 8-9 years ago, but it is not open 24/7 and the services is limited as far as ticket agents and such. Greensboro is open 24/7. The way the trains come in and the amount of traffic through the station keeps it open 24/7 so you can talk face to face with an agent any time, though it is best to go there between train arrivals and departures if you are going to have a lot of questions. Also the Greensboro station is back in the 1920 era station downtown. It really is a beautiful station. Something I am proud to own a part of in a sense as a Greensboro resident. Plenty of parking in Greensboro for a day trip. Charlotte built a new passenger station is the 1960s at the tail-end of train travel. Nice at the time I am sure but looks right out of the 1960s and too small for today's needs. Raleigh is just way to small for the traffic load, but Greensboro is just the right size. Spacious is a nice way.

If you want to do something quick you could take High Point to Burlington or any combination of the three Triad cities and have someone pick you up. The frequency of the trains might allow a Greensboro south to High Point and then a quick turnaround back to Greensboro. The Piedmont and Carolinian cross paths around this area, but it is not guaranteed to meet at the right times, so I would have a backup on this. In fact this may only work if the northbound is running late.

To make a day of it I say take Greensboro to Raleigh. Free buses around downtown Raleigh. Take in the free museums in Raleigh and then head back home. That is my Physics field trip. It might be a long day for a 7 year old but you get back in around 6:32 pm to Greensboro. The train leaves 8:40 in the morning. So it is a day but not crazy long and some but not lots of walking. And the Science museum is nice (Not enough Physics for my taste, but nice Biology related displays.) I think you ticket price would be around $28 to Raleigh and back, and your son is 1/2 price since he is traveling with an adult.

Another trip would be to Charlotte, and take a city bus to downtown to Discovery Place. Longer train ride and a little more expensive. Also Discovery Place is $15 for adult or close to that. Some family type sports bars are nearby for a hamburger and Discovery Place may have a cafeteria now. When I was there last there was some construction.

I took Amtrak to see the UNC-CH v App State basketball game last year and had the tickets to the game with my Amtrak paperwork, which the agent kept or I told him to recycle for me after I got my boarding tickets printed. I get to Durham and realize my tickets are missing for the game. The Durham agent called Greensboro. They found the paperwork and faxed them to the Durham station. Super nice to me.

Join the Amtrak Rewards. Free to join and you can build yourself and your son points for free travel. They have some other tie-ins as well.

I know every one wants to go to some island resort for a honeymoon. We took Amtrak out of Charlotte the middle of the night. I was teaching at AL Brown at the time, or had just resigned to move to Guilford County so we were closer to Charlotte. Stayed a few days in DC and then took the train to visit with her grandparents/aunts/cousins I had never met that live beside the Mohawk River in New York state. I thought the train travel was very romantic-though the sleeper helped.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”