Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Shawn Clark | Appalachian State | Grade: C+

syntrandy
School: Appalachian State

Shawn Clark | Appalachian State | Grade: C+

Unread post by syntrandy » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:38 pm

NavyApp

Re: Shawn Clark | Appalachian State | Grade: C+

Unread post by NavyApp » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:51 pm

This is a fun read but these are always such a crap shoot. The 2017 version of this article by 247 had Chip Kelly as the best hire and Herm Edwards as the worst, which is laughable now. Have to love the off season!
FREQS AND GEEKS!

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:58 pm

NavyApp wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:51 pm
This is a fun read but these are always such a crap shoot. The 2017 version of this article by 247 had Chip Kelly as the best hire and Herm Edwards as the worst, which is laughable now. Have to love the off season!
To second your comment: in short, who cares what they think? Literally the only thing they know about Clark is that he was the offensive line coach.

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:59 pm

To add an extra layer of "take this list with a grain of salt," the 247 list you linked actually pulled all of their grades and commentary from Dennis Dodd's CBS Sports article from a couple weeks ago.

That's not the only article of the sort CBS Sports has posted. A couple weeks before, Tom Fornelli gave the hire a B+, saying this:
When conducting your second coaching search in as many seasons, it's natural to gravitate toward consistency. Appalachian State has done that by promoting Shawn Clark to head coach. Clark, 44, has not only been App State's offensive line coach the last four seasons under both Scott Satterfield and Drinkwitz, but he played in Boone. There are very few candidates out there more familiar with the program or the players. It's a logical hire for a program looking to maintain its run of success in the Sun Belt.

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:32 pm

Clark fit what the Athletics Dept and University were seeking at the time of hire. Some writer who's never met nor seen the man coach is "grading" the hire. I'll be over here continuing to get stoked for next season. 205 days until Morgan State!

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:41 pm

appchicago wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:59 pm
To add an extra layer of "take this list with a grain of salt," the 247 list you linked actually pulled all of their grades and commentary from Dennis Dodd's CBS Sports article from a couple weeks ago.

That's not the only article of the sort CBS Sports has posted. A couple weeks before, Tom Fornelli gave the hire a B+, saying this:
When conducting your second coaching search in as many seasons, it's natural to gravitate toward consistency. Appalachian State has done that by promoting Shawn Clark to head coach. Clark, 44, has not only been App State's offensive line coach the last four seasons under both Scott Satterfield and Drinkwitz, but he played in Boone. There are very few candidates out there more familiar with the program or the players. It's a logical hire for a program looking to maintain its run of success in the Sun Belt.
Yea, I saw the B+ rating a few weeks ago as well. I personally think the B+ is appropriate and the C+ is inappropriate given all factors involved. Who is this guy anyways? I give him a big fat F for his article.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:51 pm

More off season filler......I’m going to go rotate my shoe trees.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:07 pm

I get it. On paper, it isn’t a flashy hire. He isn’t known as an offensive genius, or a coordinator from a P5 school, much like the staff that he put together for the most part.
What these guys don’t know or won’t grade is his passion and heart for SPECIFICALLY this school, and this team.
I feel That passion will more than overcome any perceived lack of experience or flash, and I hope the same for his staff too.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:59 pm

The Rock wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:07 pm
I get it. On paper, it isn’t a flashy hire. He isn’t known as an offensive genius, or a coordinator from a P5 school, much like the staff that he put together for the most part.
What these guys don’t know or won’t grade is his passion and heart for SPECIFICALLY this school, and this team.
I feel That passion will more than overcome any perceived lack of experience or flash, and I hope the same for his staff too.
It’s a very fair grade. We look at it through App colored glasses and are all delighted with the hire, for good reason.

But the reality is we are a top 20 national program that hired a first time head coach and completely unproven commodity. We know very little about his capability running a program, nor his in game management skills. Any other top 20 program would be heavily scrutinized if they took a HC from a D2 program. Coach Clark doesn’t even carry that on his resume.

If you were outside App looking in, a C+ would be very appropriate. I love the hire like most on here, but it’s a fair grade.
YNWA

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:42 am

The Rock wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:07 pm
I would say this is pretty close to accurate. In all honesty we don’t know what he can do as a head coach . I know this ... the team and the coaches love him and respect him.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:03 am

I hope Shawn carries it as a C+hip on his shoulder..

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:15 am

No data? No grade. Incomplete

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:21 am

They can assign whatever grade they want. What will matter is whether they have to come back in a year or two and re-grade based on results. I'm pretty sure they did post season grades on "new coaches" this past year. I know I'm biased but I believe his grade will trend a lot like the rankings of our past recruiting classes.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”