Preseason SP+ Rankings

User avatar
TheMoody1
Posts: 6569
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:45 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Greenville, SC
Has thanked: 216 times
Been thanked: 393 times

Preseason SP+ Rankings

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:08 pm




kornegaylw
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:04 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Re: Preseason SP+ Rankings

Unread post by kornegaylw » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:13 pm

5th G5 team

We all know these polls mean nothing but its nice to see we are where we are.

The bias for UNC at 17 is ridiculously nauseating



MrCraig
Posts: 200
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:27 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 149 times
Been thanked: 128 times

Re: Preseason SP+ Rankings

Unread post by MrCraig » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:05 pm

kornegaylw wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:13 pm
5th G5 team

We all know these polls mean nothing but its nice to see we are where we are.

The bias for UNC at 17 is ridiculously nauseating
I don't know if it's bias. SP+ is a predictive measure. UNC played better and better as the season went on, and I think they got a pretty good recruiting class. 17 seems a bit high, but they will definitely be better next season. I was a little surprised at how low App was, but strength of schedule is a big part of SP+ and I think our schedule is a bit weaker next season than last.



bigdaddyg
Posts: 3156
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:08 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 834 times

Re: Preseason SP+ Rankings

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:57 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:05 pm
kornegaylw wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:13 pm
5th G5 team

We all know these polls mean nothing but its nice to see we are where we are.

The bias for UNC at 17 is ridiculously nauseating
I don't know if it's bias. SP+ is a predictive measure. UNC played better and better as the season went on, and I think they got a pretty good recruiting class. 17 seems a bit high, but they will definitely be better next season. I was a little surprised at how low App was, but strength of schedule is a big part of SP+ and I think our schedule is a bit weaker next season than last.
It’s a waste of time and energy to fret or to get excited about any random poll, especially in February but to rank any team that wasn’t even in the final top 30 from the prior year is ridiculous. Personally I think that there should be no rankings until after the 6th game. If there must be an initial ranking it should mirror the prior final poll from the previous season. If you win it all you are number one until you get knocked off. If a team is noticeably better or worse due to personnel changes then they will rise or fall. Just my opinion



User avatar
mikeyosef
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:49 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 94 times
Been thanked: 74 times

Re: Preseason SP+ Rankings

Unread post by mikeyosef » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:30 pm

I agree UNC is too high given where they ended up in the final 2019-2020 season ranking. I think we are a little too low by the same measure. On the other hand it's nice to see all the traditional "big time football teams" ranked below us. I also agree these polls mean nothing but it's fun to have something to talk about in the off season.



User avatar
NO.2
Posts: 702
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:34 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 173 times
Been thanked: 296 times

Re: Preseason SP+ Rankings

Unread post by NO.2 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:55 pm

kornegaylw wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:13 pm
5th G5 team

We all know these polls mean nothing but its nice to see we are where we are.

The bias for UNC at 17 is ridiculously nauseating
You clearly need to read into what SP+ actually is.



User avatar
AtlAppMan
Posts: 1090
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:23 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: ATL
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 393 times

Re: Preseason SP+ Rankings

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:57 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:57 pm
MrCraig wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:05 pm
kornegaylw wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:13 pm
5th G5 team

We all know these polls mean nothing but its nice to see we are where we are.

The bias for UNC at 17 is ridiculously nauseating
I don't know if it's bias. SP+ is a predictive measure. UNC played better and better as the season went on, and I think they got a pretty good recruiting class. 17 seems a bit high, but they will definitely be better next season. I was a little surprised at how low App was, but strength of schedule is a big part of SP+ and I think our schedule is a bit weaker next season than last.
It’s a waste of time and energy to fret or to get excited about any random poll, especially in February but to rank any team that wasn’t even in the final top 30 from the prior year is ridiculous. Personally I think that there should be no rankings until after the 6th game. If there must be an initial ranking it should mirror the prior final poll from the previous season. If you win it all you are number one until you get knocked off. If a team is noticeably better or worse due to personnel changes then they will rise or fall. Just my opinion
This ranking is NOT a poll. The SP+ is a statistical ranking based on a variety of statistics and how they are weighted. The weighting is what really drives the results and either makes or breaks the quality of the ranking. The SP+ has historically shown some credibility although as we know there are many intangible factors that are hard to statistically quantify that also play a role in the actual outcome. As we discussed with the "returning productivity" numbers, there is some value but it all has to been taken in with appropriate context. The good news is we are now landing in the upper tier of FBS on many of these performance related statistics.



ericsaid
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:38 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 275 times

Re: Preseason SP+ Rankings

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:22 pm

kornegaylw wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:13 pm
5th G5 team

We all know these polls mean nothing but its nice to see we are where we are.

The bias for UNC at 17 is ridiculously nauseating
I'm not a UNC fan in any way, shape, or form but they didn't lose a game in 2019 by more than one score and lost two OT games. Flip two of those games and they finish 9-4 rather than 7-6. If they managed to beat Clemson they could've been sitting at 10-4. That's a big swing based on games in OT & a failed 2-PT conversion.



bigdaddyg
Posts: 3156
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:08 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 834 times

Re: Preseason SP+ Rankings

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:40 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:22 pm
kornegaylw wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:13 pm
5th G5 team

We all know these polls mean nothing but its nice to see we are where we are.

The bias for UNC at 17 is ridiculously nauseating
I'm not a UNC fan in any way, shape, or form but they didn't lose a game in 2019 by more than one score and lost two OT games. Flip two of those games and they finish 9-4 rather than 7-6. If they managed to beat Clemson they could've been sitting at 10-4. That's a big swing based on games in OT & a failed 2-PT conversion.
That is certainly true but you can probably look at lots of teams and close games they won or lost and the records they had or could have had. We were a missed FG and possibly one TD pass from 3 losses or a few plays from being unbeaten. Numbers can be funny



Stonewall
Posts: 1920
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:26 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1136 times
Been thanked: 786 times

Re: Preseason SP+ Rankings

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:54 pm

I think Wake and Wisconsin this year are tougher than UNC and SC last season. MSU and UMass However .....



kornegaylw
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:04 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Re: Preseason SP+ Rankings

Unread post by kornegaylw » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:12 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:05 pm
kornegaylw wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:13 pm
5th G5 team

We all know these polls mean nothing but its nice to see we are where we are.

The bias for UNC at 17 is ridiculously nauseating
I don't know if it's bias. SP+ is a predictive measure. UNC played better and better as the season went on, and I think they got a pretty good recruiting class. 17 seems a bit high, but they will definitely be better next season. I was a little surprised at how low App was, but strength of schedule is a big part of SP+ and I think our schedule is a bit weaker next season than last.
#NeverUNC

I will not be rational about this :D



kornegaylw
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:04 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Re: Preseason SP+ Rankings

Unread post by kornegaylw » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:15 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:40 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:22 pm
kornegaylw wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:13 pm
5th G5 team

We all know these polls mean nothing but its nice to see we are where we are.

The bias for UNC at 17 is ridiculously nauseating
I'm not a UNC fan in any way, shape, or form but they didn't lose a game in 2019 by more than one score and lost two OT games. Flip two of those games and they finish 9-4 rather than 7-6. If they managed to beat Clemson they could've been sitting at 10-4. That's a big swing based on games in OT & a failed 2-PT conversion.
That is certainly true but you can probably look at lots of teams and close games they won or lost and the records they had or could have had. We were a missed FG and possibly one TD pass from 3 losses or a few plays from being unbeaten. Numbers can be funny
Yep...#NeverUNC



mike87
Posts: 208
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:55 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 109 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: Preseason SP+ Rankings

Unread post by mike87 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:25 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:22 pm
kornegaylw wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:13 pm
5th G5 team

We all know these polls mean nothing but its nice to see we are where we are.

The bias for UNC at 17 is ridiculously nauseating
I'm not a UNC fan in any way, shape, or form but they didn't lose a game in 2019 by more than one score and lost two OT games. Flip two of those games and they finish 9-4 rather than 7-6. If they managed to beat Clemson they could've been sitting at 10-4. That's a big swing based on games in OT & a failed 2-PT conversion.
They came within a field goal of taking the #19 team in the nation to overtime too.



InFor6More
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:13 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: Preseason SP+ Rankings

Unread post by InFor6More » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:52 pm

kornegaylw wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:12 pm
MrCraig wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:05 pm
kornegaylw wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:13 pm
5th G5 team

We all know these polls mean nothing but its nice to see we are where we are.

The bias for UNC at 17 is ridiculously nauseating
I don't know if it's bias. SP+ is a predictive measure. UNC played better and better as the season went on, and I think they got a pretty good recruiting class. 17 seems a bit high, but they will definitely be better next season. I was a little surprised at how low App was, but strength of schedule is a big part of SP+ and I think our schedule is a bit weaker next season than last.
#NeverUNC

I will not be rational about this :D
I wish I could like this twice.



User avatar
AtlAppMan
Posts: 1090
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:23 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: ATL
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 393 times

Re: Preseason SP+ Rankings

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:16 pm

mike87 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:25 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:22 pm
kornegaylw wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:13 pm
5th G5 team

We all know these polls mean nothing but its nice to see we are where we are.

The bias for UNC at 17 is ridiculously nauseating
I'm not a UNC fan in any way, shape, or form but they didn't lose a game in 2019 by more than one score and lost two OT games. Flip two of those games and they finish 9-4 rather than 7-6. If they managed to beat Clemson they could've been sitting at 10-4. That's a big swing based on games in OT & a failed 2-PT conversion.
They came within a field goal of taking the #19 team in the nation to overtime too.
We came within one play of going undefeated and a NY6 bowl too!



MrCraig
Posts: 200
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:27 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 149 times
Been thanked: 128 times

Re: Preseason SP+ Rankings

Unread post by MrCraig » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:17 am

Here's last year's preseason SP+ rankings. There are certainly outliers (they have Tennessee and South Carolina ranked pretty high, SMU ranked very low), but this isn't THAT far away from how things shook out. SP+ had App at 29 preseason; UNC at 66.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ps-clemson



Saint3333
Posts: 10154
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 8:42 am
Has thanked: 1177 times
Been thanked: 1530 times

Re: Preseason SP+ Rankings

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:37 am

If at any time an SBC team is in the top 50 they are having a great year.

The last two years were simply amazing, 18/19th, and 26th in 2018. If we finish 40th I'm certainly going to celebrate that as another very good year.



Black Saturday
Posts: 9004
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 11:22 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: 910
Has thanked: 375 times
Been thanked: 314 times

Re: Preseason SP+ Rankings

Unread post by Black Saturday » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:44 am

Is North Dakota State ahead of us again?


BLACK SATURDAY

User avatar
TheMoody1
Posts: 6569
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:45 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Greenville, SC
Has thanked: 216 times
Been thanked: 393 times

Re: Preseason SP+ Rankings

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:48 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:44 am
Is North Dakota State ahead of us again?
This ranking only has FBS teams.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”

  • Who is online
  • In total there are 236 users online :: 3 registered, 3 hidden and 230 guests

    Most users ever online was 1551 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:31 pm

    Users browsing this forum: Apps03, AppStateNews, GreatAppSt and 230 guests