Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Most memorable play ever?

appstate24
School: Appalachian State

Re: Most memorable play ever?

Unread post by appstate24 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:34 am

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:23 am
This thread could go on forever. So many great memories from over the years. I can't speak to just one play, but I remember when Elder went down, and skinny freshman Armanti came in and showed off that speed, eventually scoring a 7 yard T.D. I looked at my buddies and said, "The future has started today." The look on everyone's face was a look of WOW. Trey was visibly upset once he lost that starting role, but he did a hell of a job bringing A.E. under his wing and was most deserving of that T.D. run against Delaware. Jesus it's great to be a freaking Mountaineer.
This is the reason I hold Trey Elder in such high esteem. The way he handled that situation made him one of the biggest MVPs for us during the championship run. He was a highly regarded recruit, Mr Football is SC I believe. He waited his turn behind Richie, then lost the job to Armanti. He handled the whole situation with more class than you would think was possible out of a college kid. His TD run against Delaware felt like the perfect ending to a movie. GO APPS!!

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:06 am

So many memories already mentioned. One play that always stands out to me was the slant to Dexter Jackson at Michigan that went 70 yards for a TD. You could tell they were not at all expecting what they were seeing. Are you not entertained?

The silence after Lynch's block.

The noise after the JMU fumble recovery courtesy of Pierre Banks.

Anything Armanti. He remains the best college football player I have ever seen play.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:22 am

appstate24 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:34 am
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:23 am
This thread could go on forever. So many great memories from over the years. I can't speak to just one play, but I remember when Elder went down, and skinny freshman Armanti came in and showed off that speed, eventually scoring a 7 yard T.D. I looked at my buddies and said, "The future has started today." The look on everyone's face was a look of WOW. Trey was visibly upset once he lost that starting role, but he did a hell of a job bringing A.E. under his wing and was most deserving of that T.D. run against Delaware. Jesus it's great to be a freaking Mountaineer.
This is the reason I hold Trey Elder in such high esteem. The way he handled that situation made him one of the biggest MVPs for us during the championship run. He was a highly regarded recruit, Mr Football is SC I believe. He waited his turn behind Richie, then lost the job to Armanti. He handled the whole situation with more class than you would think was possible out of a college kid. His TD run against Delaware felt like the perfect ending to a movie. GO APPS!!
Also in regards to Elder, his first pass for a TD after Richie went down was awesome. Such a huge moment. Semi-final game, close game, and the starting QB goes down, and we all knew he wasn’t coming back that day. Elder comes off the bench and throws a dart on his first pass that goes for a TD. That settled everyone down a lot

InFor6More

Unread post by InFor6More » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:56 am

Here’s one that I think is important to the FBS success. We clamored for Shaedon Meadows to get on the field during the transition year when we initially looked terrible and many were questioning the move up. He doesn’t deserve all of the credit. However, did come in a provide a spark in the game we lost to Liberty but everyone knew then that we had some dudes taking a redshirt and that we just needed to trust Satt’s plan. Then Meadors gets that spectacular one handed grab in a win at home against Monroe that helped sustain what would become a six game winning streak and we never looked back from that point forward. Meadors didn’t do anything but catch a few balls but his presence on the field would foreshadow the next wave of talent that helped us to where we are today.

IM4ASU

Unread post by IM4ASU » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:16 pm

'75App wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:38 pm
I gotta go with the Jerry Harmon field goal in 1974 also. All we'd heard was how bad ECTC was gonna beat us in Boone. It was a beautiful sight watching that end over end pigskin split the uprights! I'll never forget that moment and never forget that little sophomore date from Hickory with me at the game either! :lol:

GO APPS!
Senior year, EZU in Conrad, ecu friends telling me how bad they were going to beat us. Seems like Phil C (don't know how to spell his last name) came off the bench with less than 2 min to lead us down the field and set up Harmon's field goal. I couldn't watch so I turned and watched the crowd. The place erupted when he hit it. The bleachers were wooden back then. The Appalachian had a picture of the stands after the game. I can't tell you how many were broken from students jumping up and down.

I believe the week before the game we had lost to LR and east had beaten State.

Feel free to correct any thing wrong with my recollection.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:38 pm

IM4ASU wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:16 pm
'75App wrote:
I gotta go with the Jerry Harmon field goal in 1974 also. All we'd heard was how bad ECTC was gonna beat us in Boone. It was a beautiful sight watching that end over end pigskin split the uprights! I'll never forget that moment and never forget that little sophomore date from Hickory with me at the game either! :lol:

GO APPS!
Senior year, EZU in Conrad, ecu friends telling me how bad they were going to beat us. Seems like Phil C (don't know how to spell his last name) came off the bench with less than 2 min to lead us down the field and set up Harmon's field goal. I couldn't watch so I turned and watched the crowd. The place erupted when he hit it. The bleachers were wooden back then. The Appalachian had a picture of the stands after the game. I can't tell you how many were broken from students jumping up and down.

Cochiletti was his last name. He went on to be a soap opera star. Robbie Price unseated him as starter.

TurfMonkey

Unread post by TurfMonkey » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:44 pm

Sans details of the 3rd down conversion to seal the '49 Pythian Bowl Win.
I think it was a Statue of Liberty.
Put me down for the Murrell-Hunter play in '05.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:54 pm

I'll go with one that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Armanti to Matt Cline for the game-winning touchdown with seven seconds left in the FCS quarterfinals at Richmond in 2009.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:36 pm

IM4ASU wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:16 pm
'75App wrote:

GO APPS!

You're correct and the QB was Phil Coccioletti. He was a better passer than Price but not as adept the BrakeBone. I don't remember exactly but he probably hit Devon Ford, Bill Yeager, and Donnie Holt a couple times to get us close. Jerry was money with that square-toe shoe.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

appbanker

Unread post by appbanker » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:50 pm

As far as big hits go, my favorite was the 2nd NC game. The media had been hyping the UMass linebacker and talking about how he was going to disrupt our offense and how he would take Armanti out of the game. The play seemed to happen in slow motion, the field opened up and it was Armanti vs the linebacker. There was a big collision and they fell to the ground. Armanti popped up like he usually did and the linebacker had to be helped off the field.

Appsolutely

Unread post by Appsolutely » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:52 pm

scatman77 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:39 pm
appstate77 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:58 pm
This one goes waaaaay back. 1974, ECU game, Homecoming. Jerry Harmon's FG as time expired to win. I was in the BOD and saw the ball split the uprights as we waited in the endzone to begin a post game show.
I was on the sideline....47 yarder to win 23-21. Pat Dye coaching ECU and they all crowed all off-season and summer that it "was a fluke"...."never happen again." Next fall we opened up with them at Conrad and drilled 'em good. If Devon Ford had held on to two long passes we'd have scored 60 on 'em!
Scat, how about Gary Davis at WF, and Price to Donnie Holt in Columbia?
"I’ve always said the program is bigger than me, any one player or any one coach."--Scott Satterfield

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:13 am

Not my favorite, but a good one. SC State coach calling timeouts at the end of the game when the game was out of reach and we were just trying to run the clock out. Moore calls for a deep pass TD play. That SC State coach got learned real good.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:04 am

Appsolutely wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:52 pm
scatman77 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:39 pm
appstate77 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:58 pm
This one goes waaaaay back. 1974, ECU game, Homecoming. Jerry Harmon's FG as time expired to win. I was in the BOD and saw the ball split the uprights as we waited in the endzone to begin a post game show.
I was on the sideline....47 yarder to win 23-21. Pat Dye coaching ECU and they all crowed all off-season and summer that it "was a fluke"...."never happen again." Next fall we opened up with them at Conrad and drilled 'em good. If Devon Ford had held on to two long passes we'd have scored 60 on 'em!
Scat, how about Gary Davis at WF, and Price to Donnie Holt in Columbia?
Two more good 'erns!!! Davis' FG at Wake was his first collegiate kick.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:48 am

BeauFoster wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:25 pm
I’ll never forget Trey Elder’s run for a TD against Delaware in 2007. It wasn’t a game sealing play or anything, but man what a cap to a night and a season.
I remember well that TD and him hurling right after!

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:47 pm

My most memorable play ever?

For 25 years I and many other friends had been dreaming of a miraculous play. Many times it was suggested cajoled begged of coaches AD's administrators to call this one play. A play we believed if used would be a sure fire success and biggest play of all time in App State History. Mostly I was met with how preposterous the play would be and every season I watched from the stands to no avail hoping beyond hope, praying, imagining to no avail. The more seasons that past without this special play being called the more forlorn I became.

Then one bright shining day over KBS the play call came, the angels sang, joy rang out and many foes knees trembled at the news. As it happens I was not in the stadium in person that day but my heart was. I fist pumped, jumped up and down, yelled, called every App friend I knew. I played and sang Hi Hi Yikes a hundred times with my 3 1/2 year old super fan daughter. It really took a while to wrap my head around what we had just witnessed.

The most memorable football play for me happened believe it or not on March 27th 2013.

Appalachian State announcing it was moving back to the level of football play it should never have left is above all others the most memorable football play for me. 8-)

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... g-sun-belt

Apptiger

Unread post by Apptiger » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:45 am

Hard to pick just one but I'd probably pick the JMU fumble recovery by Pierre Banks. I was visiting the parents in Charlotte four our last Thanksgiving together. Mom's cancer was back. This was the first and only opportunity I had to get to a game in over ten years. I wasn't going to miss it. It was so cold I couldn't get anyone to go, I went by myself. Sat there all day freezing (Florida boy these days) and we were going to lose. All of a sudden, we didn't. It brought me some joy that day and I forgot all about the cold.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:59 am

T-Dog wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:54 pm
I'll go with one that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Armanti to Matt Cline for the game-winning touchdown with seven seconds left in the FCS quarterfinals at Richmond in 2009.
One of the coldest games I’ve attended. Went to the bathroom mid game and it was like a refugee camp in there guys lining the walls just to stay warm lol.

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:15 am

While I was attending App it has to be the Harmon field goal to beat EZU. The sack/fumble/TD by Murrell and Hunter in 05 was also big as I wondered if we were ever going to win a National Championship. Those two put on a clinic on rushing a QB in the second half. Finally at the 07 Michigan game, I would say AE's pass to Coco on the last drive was a very memorable moment in a game filled with big plays.
So fortunate to be a fan of such a long standing great football program! Maybe a ZT to Hennigan TD in a New Years Day Bowl against Notre Dame is in store for 2020/2021!!!

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:24 am

Just thought of one yet to be mentioned, the "Nintendo meets Harry Houdini" play that Armanti pulled off against Samford, in the rain in 09. I looked at the person sitting beside me and asked "Did I imagine that play or did it happen?" The most exciting QB I've seen in a lifetime of watching college football.

ggasu

Unread post by ggasu » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:45 am

Another huge one not mentioned yet

Pick 6 1994 night game against #1 Marshall

Marshall driving to take the lead late in the game, when we intercepted and ran back for td to secure game

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”