Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

App vs ECU getting bumped

ASUchipman

Re: App vs ECU getting bumped

Unread post by ASUchipman » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:48 pm

No the city doesn’t own B of A. They just give them all the tax breaks. The stadium is owned by the Panthers.

Yosef10
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by Yosef10 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:59 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:43 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:11 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:04 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:29 pm
Breaking in a new QB while ECU will have either a 4 year starter or a 2nd year 4 star (247 sports) going for them. Rather not play week 0 if possible. If we’re the Thursday game that’s a lot of eyeballs on Appalachian State and then we have a couple extra days for Miami.
Same number of practices either way. Miami and UF just started a week earlier than everyone else this year.
What do you mean?
Because Miami and Florida played their first game a week earlier than everyone else, they were allowed to start practicing a week earlier than everyone else too. Presumably that would be the case for any future "week 0" games as well.

IOW, assuming that's the case, hypothetically moving the game up a week shouldn't change the amount of practice time we (or ECU) would get beforehand.
Ah my bad i was confused how we got on the practice topic but i see where i referenced week 0. Nah selfishly i just don’t wanna go sit in N.C. August heat that weekend, though waiting a week isn’t gonna do much but still. And yeah i know you can’t get on the practice field but I’ll take an extra week of film over not having it too.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:24 pm

We should get an extra $500,000 from both Clemson and Georgia for being bumped to Thursday.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:52 pm

Depending on what the NFL does with it's scheduling in 2021, this date could change again for us. Preseason games are often played on Thursday's.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:55 pm

So has it been reported anywhere that we’re on Thursday night.

Apptiger

Unread post by Apptiger » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:05 pm

This sucks royally. I think they should pay us money, lots of it. $500,000 to each school (from the other two schools) and then another $1M from ESPN. Game should be rescheduled for Boone and the return at G-ville.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:07 pm

NeersBy90 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:19 pm
ASUchipman wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:52 pm
I know it makes money sense but one more reason for me to dislike Tepper.
Doesn't the City of Charlotte own BoA? I'm not a huge Tepper fan either but I don't think this was his call... although, I've been wrong before.
Nope it’s his sandbox....

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:49 pm

NeersBy90 wrote:
ASUchipman wrote:
Doesn't the City of Charlotte own BoA? I'm not a huge Tepper fan either but I don't think this was his call... although, I've been wrong before.
Unless something has changed...

Part of the BOA funding agreement is the city gets 4 events at BOA per year. They collect revenue from the event. It’s actually a good deal for CLT.

It’s why they’ve hosted Gold Cup Matches, Pro-Soccer exhibitions, etc. I assume our game would fall under that.

It definitely sucks we are getting bumped (though I’m fine with Thursday night especially if it comes with a primetime tv slot), but I can understand the city decision making.

Clemson UGA will sellout and at a premium. I think App ECU would do well too but we just aren’t the marquee matchup that they are.
YNWA

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:26 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:49 pm
NeersBy90 wrote:
ASUchipman wrote:

Part of the BOA funding agreement is the city gets 4 events at BOA per year. They collect revenue from the event. It’s actually a good deal for CLT.

It’s why they’ve hosted Gold Cup Matches, Pro-Soccer exhibitions, etc. I assume our game would fall under that.

It definitely sucks we are getting bumped (though I’m fine with Thursday night especially if it comes with a primetime tv slot), but I can understand the city decision making.

Clemson UGA will sellout and at a premium. I think App ECU would do well too but we just aren’t the marquee matchup that they are.
Agreed. I think we'd draw 45K to 55K on a Saturday. On a Thursday, it'll probably be under 40K. Might as well move this one to Boone and play it on that Saturday.

Tepper seems to be very consistent in all of his decisions. Concerts, Field Level Suites, Soccer, South Carolina, and Roster changes to this point all make him more money. He may have bought the Panthers for an investment vs. to win a Super Bowl.

Woodstovegang

Unread post by Woodstovegang » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:40 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:26 pm
ah59396 wrote:
NeersBy90 wrote:
ASUchipman wrote:

Agreed. I think we'd draw 45K to 55K on a Saturday. On a Thursday, it'll probably be under 40K. Might as well move this one to Boone and play it on that Saturday.

Tepper seems to be very consistent in all of his decisions. Concerts, Field Level Suites, Soccer, South Carolina, and Roster changes to this point all make him more money. He may have bought the Panthers for an investment vs. to win a Super Bowl.
DG move this to the ROCK and keep the home field monies. CLT has broken the contract.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:35 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:26 pm
ah59396 wrote:
NeersBy90 wrote:
ASUchipman wrote:

The guy basically bid against himself to get the coach he wanted. Maybe it works, maybe not, but he’s clearly trying to win, regardless of cost.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:44 am

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:50 am

FBSchedules.com is now listing the game on Thursday 9/2 in Charlotte

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:25 am

Given that there was a contract in place for that date, I have to think that App and ECU were engaged prior to this decision and agreed to the change, probably with some sort of compensation involved. This whole discussion is based on a tweet and doesn't contain all the background. Contracts can't be randomly set aside just because a more profitable option comes along, unless there is agreement or unless the original contract included provisions for alteration.

I don't like Thursday night games, but starting the season that way wouldn't be terrible since it doesn't create a "short week" situation. From a selfish stand-point, having it in Charlotte makes it easy for me since I work in uptown Charlotte, so I can walk to the game from my office. :D

Friday morning might be a challenge though. :lol:

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:32 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:25 am
Given that there was a contract in place for that date, I have to think that App and ECU were engaged prior to this decision and agreed to the change, probably with some sort of compensation involved. This whole discussion is based on a tweet and doesn't contain all the background. Contracts can't be randomly set aside just because a more profitable option comes along, unless there is agreement or unless the original contract included provisions for alteration.

I don't like Thursday night games, but starting the season that way wouldn't be terrible since it doesn't create a "short week" situation. From a selfish stand-point, having it in Charlotte makes it easy for me since I work in uptown Charlotte, so I can walk to the game from my office. :D

Clemson has confirmed and announced the bump.

as far as the reschedule, I'm sure Doug tried to get them to pull out, in order to get the 500k payout. But more likely will be moved to Thursday so BOA doesn't have to pay.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:38 am

GregPercussion wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:32 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:25 am

Clemson has confirmed and announced the bump.

as far as the reschedule, I'm sure Doug tried to get them to pull out, in order to get the 500k payout. But more likely will be moved to Thursday so BOA doesn't have to pay.
I certainly wasn't questioning whether the "bump" was happening. I'm just saying we are probably getting paid something in order to move the game. Generally, to change a contract would require some sort of consideration be given to the parties, or that there be agreement on some basis. Maybe it involves ESPN, maybe not. My point was that there is a lot of speculation but nothing issued regarding how this change is being executed. The tweet doesn't even specify when the game will be played.

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:49 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:38 am

I certainly wasn't questioning whether the "bump" was happening. I'm just saying we are probably getting paid something in order to move the game. Generally, to change a contract would require some sort of consideration be given to the parties, or that there be agreement on some basis. Maybe it involves ESPN, maybe not. My point was that there is a lot of speculation but nothing issued regarding how this change is being executed. The tweet doesn't even specify when the game will be played.
If we reschedule, it's not "cancelled" so we wont get money. I'm sure App and ECU have agreed to some terms of moving the date before they lined up Clemson vs UGA, but are still ironing out some details before it's released.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:00 am

GregPercussion wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:49 am
Yosef84 wrote:

If we reschedule, it's not "cancelled" so we wont get money. I'm sure App and ECU have agreed to some terms of moving the date before they lined up Clemson vs UGA, but are still ironing out some details before it's released.
I get that. There is a provision in the contract for cancellation and the game isn't cancelled. Altering a contract (rescheduling) still requires some sort of consideration.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:26 am

GregPercussion wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:49 am
Yosef84 wrote:

The way the contract is worded is that we had an agreement to play on a specific day (9/4/21). So rescheduling is cancelling the agreement and entering into a new one. As In all contracts, we have the right to not enforce provisions. So if whatever is offered is an equal deal DG may accept it and move on in order to keep things smooth between us and the BOA folks.

However if the alternative is as has been speculated, moving to Thursday, we are going to have some impact on gate revenue, and compensation is justified. The provisions even mention that actual damages are hard to quantify, so both parties agreed on $500k. It’s easy to assume we’ll sell 10k less tickets at $50/pop

Dojan

Unread post by Dojan » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:33 am

Do the students have class that Friday? I am sure a number would skip but having class the next day will impact student attendance.

I live in Charlotte and my daughter will be a Junior at App and another daughter most likely a Freshman at ECU. I have a feeling my house will be packed Thursday after the game.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”