Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

App vs ECU getting bumped

Stonewall
School: Appalachian State

Re: App vs ECU getting bumped

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:30 pm

We might be wise not to burn bridges.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:48 pm

I emailed the leadership at the Charlotte Sports Foundation. I wasn’t rude, I simply let them know I was disappointed in how App was treated. I really just wanted them to know that we exist. I received not only a prompt return via email but also a phone call from the executive director, Mr. Danny Morrison. Super nice guy who talked about how much respect he has for App and explained the obvious, if you can get Clemson and GA you can’t pass. He explained how they are working to pitch the weekend as a whole, rivalry weekend. Bottom line, I was super impressed and thanked him for anything they could do to promote our game.

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:55 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:48 pm
I emailed the leadership at the Charlotte Sports Foundation. I wasn’t rude, I simply let them know I was disappointed in how App was treated. I really just wanted them to know that we exist. I received not only a prompt return via email but also a phone call from the executive director, Mr. Danny Morrison. Super nice guy who talked about how much respect he has for App and explained the obvious, if you can get Clemson and GA you can’t pass. He explained how they are working to pitch the weekend as a whole, rivalry weekend. Bottom line, I was super impressed and thanked him for anything they could do to promote our game.
Danny knows all about App from his many years at the helm at Wofford. Glad to hear that he doesn't hold a lot of beat downs of Terrier teams over the years against us.

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:50 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
That's a great response. Sucks the game got moved, but I can respect the response to concerns.

Pilotwx

Unread post by Pilotwx » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:21 pm

So with this now moving we have to play Wake on a Friday night, and ECU on a Thursday night!! You guys do realize that most of us who have kids in K-12 cant make thursday night games, and we fully support our High School so will not be attending the Wake game on Friday night. the $32.00 plus concessions I Pay the high school means more to them than $300.00 plus i would probably spend at wake ! Where is a man that honors his agreement?

yosef95

Unread post by yosef95 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:29 pm

I get a little of the frustration, but actually think Thurs night will get more attention. Opening weekend game on Thurs instead of competing with 50 other games on that Sat

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:12 pm

yosef95 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:29 pm
I get a little of the frustration, but actually think Thurs night will get more attention. Opening weekend game on Thurs instead of competing with 50 other games on that Sat
Attention vs. Participation.
Which earns us more money? I really don't know.
Is being on ESPN (even if we are) on a Thursday night a better revenue generator than playing the game on Saturday as regularly scheduled? There is no way to know, but i would guess this cuts attendance by 1/3 at least. Much harder for families or people on budgets to take off work ( probably 1.5-2 days) get a hotel to attend the game, and if it is televised, its much easier/cheaper to watch from home.
This was technically App's home game, so I think we were set to get the ticket revenue. How much money do we lose if we get 30,000 in attendance versus 50,000? If average ticket price is $30 (very conservative), that's a $600,000 loss in revenue. Will being on ESPN on a Thursday night offset that loss?
Even if we get $500,000 from venue for "cancellation" seems like we are still potentially losing money unless we get money for being televised on ESPN, which I don't know if we do or not.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:40 pm

HkyMtneer wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:55 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Danny knows all about App from his many years at the helm at Wofford. Glad to hear that he doesn't hold a lot of beat downs of Terrier teams over the years against us.
Danny Boy was also President of the SoCon when they moved the office from Asheville to Spartanburg.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:08 pm

Pilotwx wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:21 pm
So with this now moving we have to play Wake on a Friday night, and ECU on a Thursday night!! You guys do realize that most of us who have kids in K-12 cant make thursday night games, and we fully support our High School so will not be attending the Wake game on Friday night. the $32.00 plus concessions I Pay the high school means more to them than $300.00 plus i would probably spend at wake ! Where is a man that honors his agreement?
Thank you for your respect of Friday night football at the high school level. I guess that makes two of us who will not be there.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:08 pm

Moving to Thursday has pros and cons. I can sympathize with people who can't or won't attend on a weeknight. Personally I'm OK rolling with the punches on this one. Thursday, Saturday, Sunday, week zero... just tell me when and if I can make it, I will.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:10 pm

https://thespun.com/acc/clemson-tigers/ ... tpS2w0vGP8

Scheduling the game this late in the general cycle for college football required some maneuvering for both schools. For Georgia, that meant a $1.8 million buyout of San Jose State, who had been on the schedule.

Clemson’s payout is slightly less dramatic, but still significant. The school will pay previously-scheduled Wyoming $1.1 million. Scott Keepfer of The Greenville News reported on the payout on Wednesday.
Google SUX

NDavidsonApp

Unread post by NDavidsonApp » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:27 pm

The Rock wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:12 pm
yosef95 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:29 pm
Attention vs. Participation.
Which earns us more money? I really don't know.
Is being on ESPN (even if we are) on a Thursday night a better revenue generator than playing the game on Saturday as regularly scheduled? There is no way to know, but i would guess this cuts attendance by 1/3 at least. Much harder for families or people on budgets to take off work ( probably 1.5-2 days) get a hotel to attend the game, and if it is televised, its much easier/cheaper to watch from home.
This was technically App's home game, so I think we were set to get the ticket revenue. How much money do we lose if we get 30,000 in attendance versus 50,000? If average ticket price is $30 (very conservative), that's a $600,000 loss in revenue. Will being on ESPN on a Thursday night offset that loss?
Even if we get $500,000 from venue for "cancellation" seems like we are still potentially losing money unless we get money for being televised on ESPN, which I don't know if we do or not.
A couple of comments here:

1. According to Ethan Joyce, the cancellation fee would have been $500,000, but App would have had to pay that to ECU as part of their contract with them for not playing the game in Charlotte.

2. Average ticket price will be north of $30. The agreement with the Charlotte group designates the ticket prices and they are not cheap. The ticket prices are higher to justify the fees that the organizing group pays to the participating schools for playing at BOA Stadium. Based upon what prices have been for the Chick Fil-A classic in Atlanta at the beginning of the season, you may not be able to see the Clemson-Georgia game without paying close to $100 per ticket.

NDavidsonApp

Unread post by NDavidsonApp » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:36 pm

According to the agreement, unless both parties agree to different amounts, ticket prices are as follows:

Club level 1 - $125
Club level 2 - $115
Lower level - $90
Upper level - $65

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:48 pm

Wow. Thursday night and $65 each will keep me at home.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:54 pm

biggie wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:48 pm
Moi aussi. (plus about 40 to 50 clams for parking)
Google SUX

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:13 pm

biggie wrote:
Yeah that's not great, especially for uppers. Honestly I feel like this series felt like a bigger deal when it was announced than it does now. I mean I want to see us beat ECU and play in the Panthers' stadium... but after winning in Kenan, Williams-Brice and the Superdome x2 (and paying ~$60 for prime seats at each), this seems pretty overpriced for what it is.

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:54 pm

NewApp wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:54 pm
biggie wrote:
Unless you simply can't walk further distances then parking uptown for the evening will be easy to find in the $10/$15 range within a 15-minute walk of the stadium. I hate paying a premium for parking and when attending uptown events (be it BofA, Spectrum, Blumenthal, etc.) I don't think I've ever paid more than $15 for an event. You just have to follow the old rule of thumb that my Dad taught me: go diagonally away from the venue you're attending, in the opposite direction of primary inflow, start at 1/2 mile away as the crow flies, and go out from there as necessary. It pretty much always works in any locale and I'm not sure I've ever been more than a mile/15 minute-ish walk away. Not to mention, it usually makes leaving a lot easier proposition. And, that $ saved is the price of a casual dinner uptown, or maybe 2 beers in the stadium. Ha!

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:18 pm

HkyMtneer wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:54 pm
NewApp wrote:
biggie wrote:
Unless you simply can't walk further distances then parking uptown for the evening will be easy to find in the $10/$15 range within a 15-minute walk of the stadium. I hate paying a premium for parking and when attending uptown events (be it BofA, Spectrum, Blumenthal, etc.) I don't think I've ever paid more than $15 for an event. You just have to follow the old rule of thumb that my Dad taught me: go diagonally away from the venue you're attending, in the opposite direction of primary inflow, start at 1/2 mile away as the crow flies, and go out from there as necessary. It pretty much always works in any locale and I'm not sure I've ever been more than a mile/15 minute-ish walk away. Not to mention, it usually makes leaving a lot easier proposition. And, that $ saved is the price of a casual dinner uptown, or maybe 2 beers in the stadium. Ha!
I’m thinking about taking the Lynx into town from the (haha) UNC-Charlotte stop.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:26 pm

HkyMtneer wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:54 pm
NewApp wrote:
biggie wrote:
Hmm. I paid $40 for a half mile away for the Belk Bowl. Took me to the cleaners, I guess.
Google SUX

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:08 pm

It’s a long time away so I’m not worried yet but I really hope the App nations finds a way to support this game. This is a big deal for us, it’s a huge venue and it’s our home game. This isn’t like going to power 5 venue as an underdog. We’re suppose to own this place. And it’s not a done deal but the powers that be are pushing for ESPN. If we actually get to kick off the season there will be a lot of folks watching just to get their football fix. Again, it’s a long time away but we need to hype this game for all its worth, not put it down. I also have to believe that a good fan showing would help our bowl situation a lot.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”